[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Hot Fuzz

Still love this film, great comedy, great mystery but one minor qualm...anyone else think they should've gone whole-hog with the Danny/Angel possibly romantic sub-text? I say minor as I still love the movie either way, but it IS there.
I always thought they had more of a "bromance", but I'm fine with it either way. I love Hot Fuzz so much.

Speaking of Shaun of the Dead, I can't hear "Don't Stop Me Now" without thinking of that scene. It's on my workout mix, so it gets me giggling pretty often.

Edit: Probably not the scene Yoshi is talking about.

I think its crazy that you'd think Nick would've been able to move on to another lover so soon after the death of the Japanese Peace Lily.

Attack The Block

Odd low budget British sci-fi, about a group of juvenile delinquents in a council housing tower block vs alien monsters. John Boyega (Finn from Force Awakens) is the lead character "Moses", and his star potential shines through. It's funny, gory, tense, and while the creatures are obviously fairly low budget they do pretty well, and manage to get a surprising amount of screen time. The British slang adds to the appeal.

Attack The Block

Odd low budget British sci-fi, about a group of juvenile delinquents in a council housing tower block vs alien monsters. John Boyega (Finn from Force Awakens) is the lead character "Moses", and his star potential shines through. It's funny, gory, tense, and while the creatures are obviously fairly low budget they do pretty well, and manage to get a surprising amount of screen time. The British slang adds to the appeal.
This movie was great! Oh man I should watch it again.

Dave

Staff member
Attack The Block

Excellent movie! And surprise Nick Frost.

It had some good bits, I thought, but it pulls the same major error as the most recent Amityville in giving the spirit too much screen time as a visible menace, if that makes sense.
The pacing was horribly off and unlike the original I didn't care about the family and was surprised they were not connected to the housing development at all. The writers and director made changes to the story such that the whole graveyard angle was meaningless and rather than being targeted because of the father's involvement selling the houses that were built in the development, the family was just randomly being haunted. If you are going to change a story you need to understand why the things you excised were in it in the first place and these guys clearly did not.

Do yourself a favor and watch the original instead of this garbage remake.

Finally saw Warcraft. Uh.... ok. It's really messy, I feel like. For the most part a lot of the relationships between the races and the backstory of what exactly is going on just isn't there. They tried to cram so many locations and things from the games into the movie that everything is just kind of thrown at you. I went into this with like a C to C- knowledge of the lore and so knew enough of the background to know the real threat behind all of this but the movie should have really addressed it more, you know?

But the thing is that most of this could have been fixed pretty easily with just a little more backstory. Open with Gul'dan, weak and an outcast being shunned by his clan. He goes out on his own, demons appear and give him access to Fel magic. He comes back, kills his clan for the lulz and starts his big master plan. Cut to "some time later" and most of the rest of the movie plays out as is. The only other change is really to cut out the big cube thing that the wizards were shooting fire at that didn't make any sense at all.

On a scale of Super Mario Brother to Mortal Kombat this was a solid Resident Evil. Watchable for sure, but like seriously what the hell is going on?

Also Grom Hellscream is just always kind of there but never says anything so again, what the hell dawgs?

I mean, it's a really low bar but MK is probably the best movie adaptation to a video game. The story gets told with just enough references to the game to be fun but not get in the way. other strong contenders might be either Silent Hill or whatever the most watchable Resident Evil movie is, for being an ok horror movie on its own with the name of a video game attached.

I mean, it's a really low bar but MK is probably the best movie adaptation to a video game. The story gets told with just enough references to the game to be fun but not get in the way. other strong contenders might be either Silent Hill or whatever the most watchable Resident Evil movie is, for being an ok horror movie on its own with the name of a video game attached.
RE 1 is a perfectly servicable horror movie. Nothing spectacular, but it's certainly watchable. The movies only got worse the more they tried to introduce elements of the game into them, imo.Some of the CGI movies are fine (Regeneration is fun, but Degeneration is awful).

Silent Hill 1 & 2... are kind of dumb.

The best video game movie is probably the japan only Phoenix Wright movie. Or the animated Professor Layton movie.

Silent Hill really can't translate as a movie because too much of the horror of the experience is in the immersion and tension you experience as a player, the creeping dread and horrors that you invest time into. It's not nearly as scary watching it compressed (giving it no time to build up tension) and removed by being a passive experience. A lot of Silent Hill's horror is "what happens if I do this? Am I supposed to do this, or will it unleash something worse at me? What's around the next corner?"

And also, it loses pretty much all of the psychological / metaphorical aspects of it. They're someone else's horrors.

The Resident Evil series just gets worse as it goes on.

Surely there are better video game movies than Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil!

(searches through https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games)

... well crap, that's a big list of stinkers there. I mean, if I had to pick some favorites I guess I'd go for Advent Children and Street Fighter, but objectively speaking I can't really say they're good movies.

Here's hoping Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider won't suck.

Surely there are better video game movies than Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil!

(searches through https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games)

... well crap, that's a big list of stinkers there. I mean, if I had to pick some favorites I guess I'd go for Advent Children and Street Fighter, but objectively speaking I can't really say they're good movies.

Here's hoping Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider won't suck.
THE DAY YOU WATCHED STREET FIGHTER FEATURING RAUL JULIA WAS THE GREATEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE

BUT FOR HIM, IT WAS TUESDAY

Assassins Creed feels like it would be hard to mess up but I mean, who the hell knows. Like, what's going to mess it up is all of the 2012/aliens (or whatever) stuff because even in the games that doesn't make a lot of sense and I'm not sure if they ever wrapped that up or what.

Just keep it simple. Give me Magneto doing flips n' shit with wrist blades, keep the weird stuff to a minimal and we should be fine.

Assassins Creed feels like it would be hard to mess up but I mean, who the hell knows. Like, what's going to mess it up is all of the 2012/aliens (or whatever) stuff because even in the games that doesn't make a lot of sense and I'm not sure if they ever wrapped that up or what.

Just keep it simple. Give me Magneto doing flips n' shit with wrist blades, keep the weird stuff to a minimal and we should be fine.
Judging by the trailers, they're going to mess up the movie by having a completely inappropriate soundtrack.

Man, I had to re-watch the trailer to see what the music was and I didn't realize Omar Little was in it. Omar, Magneto and Jeremy Irons? The soundtrack could be william shatnar doing a spoken word album and I'd be fine SO LONG AS THEY DONT ADD WEIRD STUFF and keep it about 15th century ninjas.

God it's gonna all be about weird stuff and have like zero ninjas I bet.

Judging by the trailers, they're going to mess up the movie by having a completely inappropriate soundtrack.
From everything I've read, they are going to fuck it up by really focusing on the "it's a simulation, not the actual events" angle that the games use. It's going to COMPLETELY kill the tension.