[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Watched Sharknado 3 last night. I think they found a new low. Still kinda funny, and lots of deaths, but none of them follow even the basics of physics. Funniest part, to me, was the theater screening of 3-Headed Shark (another Syfy original)
and that George RR Martin gets eaten in the audience.

Otherwise not anything to take time out of your day to watch, unless you're playing a drinking game with the thing.

I am going to take my kids to see Pixels in a couple of hours. Please keep me in your thoughts during this difficult time.

Guys. I liked Pixels. It helped a lot that Adam Sandler played as a normal guy/straight man (which I always love him as) and the obnoxious parts were left to his co-stars.

I'd suggest the abuse of mind altering substances to have improved the movie appreciation, but I assume you wouldn't do that with the kids around :p

This falls more in the guilty pleasure category than OMG BEST MOVIE EVER.

I went into it expecting the premise to be dumb, and it was, but it was better than I expected, probably because I set an extremely low bar.

Sandler does play a much better straight man than comic character, honestly, that probably helps too :p
And I also know absolutely nothing about the movie, so hey :p

So, a female friend of mine thought, hey, you know what's a good idea for Frank? Let's go see a movie. Trainwreck is supposed to be a raunchy hilarious comedy, that'll be a good way to blow an afternoon.

Why didn't anyone tell her it gets SUPER FUCKING SERIOUS about relationships? WOW, that was a rough film to sit through.

Don't get me wrong, hilarious, lots of incredible performances (Tilda Swinton especially) but JESUS FUCKING CHRIST that is not what I needed.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST that is not what I needed.
Tell me about it.
Kati and I went to go see Inside Out last week. I dragged her along to it because of Nick's post and Zero's post saying how well it treats depression. Kati's been concerned she might be clinically depressed, and I thought it might be lighthearted and therapeutic at the same time. What I didn't know is the affect it would have on the two of us, since we have recently been discussing making a risky move to California in order to improve my employment prospects. And wouldn't you know it, we have a kid, too. Thanks ever so much, Pixar.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great, entertaining movie that delivers a good treatment of depression, growing up, sacrifice, inner conflict, how there is no absolute black/white, it has in-jokes, Easter eggs, tension, and good music...but between Kati empathizing with Sadness and the unfortunate resemblance to our current situation, it was often unintentionally brutal.

--Patrick

Tell me about it.
Kati and I went to go see Inside Out last week. I dragged her along to it because of Nick's post and Zero's post saying how well it treats depression. Kati's been concerned she might be clinically depressed, and I thought it might be lighthearted and therapeutic at the same time. What I didn't know is the affect it would have on the two of us, since we have recently been discussing making a risky move to California in order to improve my employment prospects. And wouldn't you know it, we have a kid, too. Thanks ever so much, Pixar.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great, entertaining movie that delivers a good treatment of depression, growing up, sacrifice, inner conflict, how there is no absolute black/white, it has in-jokes, Easter eggs, tension, and good music...but between Kati empathizing with Sadness and the unfortunate resemblance to our current situation, it was often unintentionally brutal.

--Patrick
I'm sorry we were accurate :p.

Seriously though, sometimes it's just not the right time in life for certain movies and it sounds like that was the case for you guys. I've had that happen for me, where I actually just couldn't finish a movie. Not the movie's fault, just that what was going on in my life too closely connected with the movie and I just had to turn it off and say "not right now."

The Iron Lady- I would enjoy Meryl Streep in just about anything, but her immense talents are wasted on this meandering, unfocused mess. So many good actors are just window dressing for the parts of the movie that don't focus on Streep and Broadbent's characters.

Ant-Man

Was a blast, was happy they didn't take it too seriously, but also didn't joke on the premise too much. I worried they would since the trailer seems to have a lot of scenes mocking the name, but all those scenes were not in the movie itself. I think the special effects of him growing and shrinking was my favorite effect of the year.

The first time I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was almost immediately after a major breakup. It was good timing because that movie helped me through it quite a bit.
As someone with a real fear that I will lose my memory someday, that movie fucked me up for a few months.

I worried they would since the trailer seems to have a lot of scenes mocking the name, but all those scenes were not in the movie itself.
This is a habit I'm noticing more of lately, where they put dumb shit in the trailer to draw more people in, and then just don't bother with that stuff in the movie.

For other "seeing movies at the wrong time" scenarios: I was feeling pretty down about going to college. I was nervous and worried about going somewhere where none of my friends were.

I know! I'll see Toy Story 3! That'll be a great way to cheer me up!

The audience approval rating for Pixels on Rotten Tomatoes was around 60% last time I looked, so I feel less bad about myself, because at least I'm not the 1%.

The audience approval rating for Pixels on Rotten Tomatoes was around 60% last time I looked, so I feel less bad about myself, because at least I'm not the 1%.
Nope, just the same crowd who sees every movie he makes, like that dads movie and that dads movie sequel and Hack and Jill (woops, not fixing that typo! EDGY!) and that movie about the remote control where he's married to Kate Beckinsale or something equally unrealistic in a just world or that movie where he gets to, and get this, LITERALLY see what it's like to walk a mile in someone else's shoes, the Cobbler.

It's no Paul Blart at 39%? Yay?

From what I've heard, it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. More like this was a movie that geeks noticed and took as an invitation to attack Adam Sandler, when there are Sandler movies far more deserving of the vitriol.

He gets a hard time, but he used to make movies that were vastly more watchable (and bankable too, shocking). High art they weren't but they were good for a laugh and not revulsion.

I think the last of his movies I enjoyed was Longest Yard. All the guards being wrestlers playing WAY outside their type (racist rednecks...) had Stone Cold Steve Austin doing the thing that still makes me laugh to this day.

I thought Bedtime Stories was a cute kids flick.

Also, that's 21 movies in 20 years... 22 if you include 8 Crazy Nights, which isn't on there for some reason. Adam Sandler gets SERIOUS work and he's not shy about hiring friends just to get them a paycheck when their careers have stagnated. I'm looking at you, David Spade and Rob Schneider. Really, he's done a lot for the comedy community, even if he's not funny anymore.[DOUBLEPOST=1437935857,1437935824][/DOUBLEPOST]
Bleah. Someone needs to go to graph school.
Still want to give Little Nicky and Zohan a chance some day.

--Patrick
Zohan is meh, but I thought Little Nicky was great.

I stand by Little Nicky as well, dumb yes but the good kind of dumb that works great with comedies.
The issue with Little Nicky is that it's premise is kind of "out there" for a lot of people. You're essentially routing for the retarded son of the Devil and if you can't get on board with routing for the son of the prince of darkness, this movie just won't work for you.