[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Slightly less terrible than Megan Fox was in 1-2. STRICT upgrade.
... I disagree. Megan Fox was terrible, but at least she was capable of showing some basic emotion.
Although admittedly this is sort of like arguing whether a blowtorch to the balls hurts more than a sledgehammer to the balls, so I guess I'll abandon this discussion now.

fade

Staff member
I liked Mad Max you heathens. I totally disagree about the pacing. The end was action, but the movie as a whole was more of a suspense. The lingering with the family was storytelling, man. That's the last vestige of the old world, and boom, it's gone.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
This movie holds up surprisingly well. And my kids loved it, which I was even more surprised by. They did think that the outfits were funny, though. And my son wasn't convinced that that was Neo.

I liked Mad Max you heathens. I totally disagree about the pacing. The end was action, but the movie as a whole was more of a suspense. The lingering with the family was storytelling, man. That's the last vestige of the old world, and boom, it's gone.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
This movie holds up surprisingly well. And my kids loved it, which I was even more surprised by. They did think that the outfits were funny, though. And my son wasn't convinced that that was Neo.
The first movie was a kind of post apocalyptic Sergio Leone film, and was great.

Tomorrowland

...Well, that could have been better. It had a lot of interesting ideas, some great sequences, a nice dash of Disney nostalgia early on, and I fully support a sci-fi movie that takes the stance of believing in the potential of improving the world rather than giving in to self-defeating cynicism, but it squandered its potential. Frankly, it treats Tomorrowland as a mystery for far too long, it takes too long into the film to actually get to Tomorrowland, and they're there they don't realize the full potential of what they have. Seriously, Tomorrowland is an alternate universe secret society where artists and scientists create free of government and corporate control. You could have done a lot with that idea and make a film that, at the very least, could have been like a family-friendly BioShock. Instead, this incredible world's backstory is couched in vague terms and rarely touched upon, then the proper arrival is very late in the film and barely anything is done with it.

So, all in all, not awful but the ideas are wasted and the ending drops the ball. At least the Tomorrowland pin I got for seeing this looks nice.

Fury.

Quality acting, solid action, decent storyline short of the last 45 minutes of the film. How the fuck does 1 broken tank even take on 300+ SS soldiers?

I miss Band of Brothers so much, time to watch that again once I finally get HBO GO.

I miss Band of Brothers so much, time to watch that again once I finally get HBO GO.
It's Memorial Day Weekend. I am legitimately surprised The History Channel hasn't started it's run of the entire season this weekend... they usually air it all by Monday night.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Holy shit this movie starts at ten, dials it up to 11 by the time the title card is shown, and then it stays there the rest of the way. What an adrenaline rush.

Action movie directors: You all need to step up your game because George Miller just raised the bar in a big, big way.

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road this afternoon. Wife and I adored it. It conveyed so much with so little script, and felt tense throughout much of the movie--maybe the practical effects helped in that department. You end up caring about the characters pretty damn quick, so the danger feels real throughout.

Everyone liked Nux in the trailer for "what a lovely day," but I'm glad he had a large part to play in the movie, and hell, even had a character arc.

I could understand what few words Tom Hardy said, which was a huge improvement over Dark Knight Rises ... meanwhile there was a character with a breathing aparatus who was also more understandable than Bane.

For such a simple story, there's a thousand things to talk about.

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road this afternoon. Wife and I adored it. It conveyed so much with so little script, and felt tense throughout much of the movie--maybe the practical effects helped in that department. You end up caring about the characters pretty damn quick, so the danger feels real throughout.

Everyone liked Nux in the trailer for "what a lovely day," but I'm glad he had a large part to play in the movie, and hell, even had a character arc.

I could understand what few words Tom Hardy said, which was a huge improvement over Dark Knight Rises ... meanwhile there was a character with a breathing aparatus who was also more understandable than Bane.

For such a simple story, there's a thousand things to talk about.
That's the sign of a masterpiece. Max, Furiosa, Nux, and the Brides all had developmental arcs. There was a sense of a working, albeit ruined, world. Every prop obviously had a story. Hell, the warboyz and the cult of Immortan Joe was in and of itself an interesting story - showing the hold that even a loose religion can have on desperate people.

We had budgeted our AMC gift cards for movies for the rest of the year, but something's gonna have to get the shaft, because we need to see Mad Max again.

Mad Max Fury Road

Second time in three days. I have to admit, on second viewing I feel like I'll forever be chasing that dragon of watching this for the first time. It's still AMAZING second viewing, but the spectacle is always going to be a little less spectacular on repeat viewings. Probably doesn't help that it's only been two days and a lof of the imagery is still pretty fresh in my head.

But yeah, still amazing. Still easily one of the greatest action films I've ever seen.
The moments of calm became more noticeable in the second viewing and I was more grateful for them.

I also found that both the 3D AND the sound were better in the Regular 3D rather than the IMAX 3D I saw it in last time. I'm positive that like all movies shot in 2D this movie is best viewed in 2D, but I just couldn't make it in time to the 2D showing.

There is a VERY good chance I'll be seeing this a third time in theatres (Which is unprecedented for me), but I'm going to give it a bit more time in between viewings.

Somehow my friend convinced his wife to see this movie with us. She hates action movies, she hates post-apocalyptic settings as a rule, and even she had good things to say at the end of this. She wasn't picking her jaw up off the floor like we were on Sunday, but she said: "I don't like action movies, and I liked that movie".

I don't think it was shot in 2D, was it? If so, the shot of the steering wheel flying at the camera and the shot when Joe yanks down on his car's stick would seem odd, since they're clearly supposed to pop in 3D.

It's definitely post conversion. You can tell because anything that's moving is blurry as hell, and certain elements just look terrible (Larry and Barry look like their faces are literally floating infront of them) But here is a list of news articles from 2012 when they switched from the planned 3D shoot to a 2D shoot:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392190/news?year=2012;start=161

The movie was storyboarded long before there was a script written (The way a visual story should be done, and why this works so well), so it is possible the shot you are referring to was thrown in as a 3D money shot in the storyboard when they were planning to shoot 3D.

Personally, I thought that shot would be okay in 2D and in 3D it seemed like something out of SCTV's 3D House of Pancakes.

I actualy just posted about post conversion 2D on facebook, putting forth my theory on why things looked the way they did and calling out a friend of mine who actually works at IMAX doing post conversion to clarify:
checkeredhat said:
I think I figured out one of my big issues with post conversion 3D.
If you're looking at film where things are moving fast, you have motion blur. We all know this. It's why animators use smear drawings. But if you are rotoing that object onto a separate plane, you now don't have a clean edge to work with for those frames. My theory, <Name redacted> you can confirm or deny, is that roto artists basically get the best edge they can and then apply a blur filter to that layer, resulting in double the amount of blur.
At least, that's what it looks like I'm seeing in these shots.
I guess what I'm saying is, see Mad Max in 2D.
<Name redacted> said:
Cool, I'm not crazy about 3d either, although I did see it in 3d and I enjoyed it. My opinion is that many problems with 2d to 3d conversion exist because of this new industry standard, compromising quality for a high turnover rate with little consideration for frame size and mathematically calculated spacial relativity. Also, defence of 3d's, often theatres don't calibrate their cameras, leaving different people with vastly different experiences theatre to theatre. As for the blur, ideally there isn't one- ideally the space between the shifted object within the shot that's made 3d is painted in perfectly, but often it looks less like a blur, more like edge pixels have been stretched.
Basically, it sounds like they're using Content Aware Fill to cut down on time fixing motion blur, and if you do that too much you get pretty messy results.

There have been movies of recent where you could take off the glasses for the most of the movie and it's fine. Essentially, they know that 3D sells tickets, so they slap it onto things and do a shitty conversion, and people don't even care if it's really in 3D so long as it says it is.

Not saying Mad Max was of that situation, but it's the kind of thing that's been popping up here and there.

I watched Blackfish finally... Damn, you guys. There are few documentaries I really want to watch a second time right away, but it was very compelling, and honestly... just damn.

There have been movies of recent where you could take off the glasses for the most of the movie and it's fine. Essentially, they know that 3D sells tickets, so they slap it onto things and do a shitty conversion, and people don't even care if it's really in 3D so long as it says it is.

Not saying Mad Max was of that situation, but it's the kind of thing that's been popping up here and there.
Damn, I have to pay $2 more because the 3D showing is more convenient for me. And the 3D is not going to be good... Oh well it still costs $7.

I watched Blackfish finally... Damn, you guys. There are few documentaries I really want to watch a second time right away, but it was very compelling, and honestly... just damn.
That's a rough one. When I saw "Shamu" in San Antonio as a kid, I knew it wasn't happy to be there. I do think that all whales and dolphins should be free. I don't know what I feel about zoos. I am sure they're a mixed bag of good and terrible.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Not bad.... didn't like it as much as the first one but it was still enjoyable if not a bit predictable.

Cajungal

Staff member
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Not bad.... didn't like it as much as the first one but it was still enjoyable if not a bit predictable.
How did you like it when the apes were brandishing huge guns? I nearly spat out my Dr. Pepper 10.