[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Last night I watched a Taiwanese movie called Campus Confidential on TV. It's so ridiculous I have to tell you guys about it.

The movie starts out like your typical young-people romcom. There's a girl who's the most beautiful girl at her university, dating the captain of the basketball team, and hates otaku and thinks they're disgusting. One night she's walking along the lake on campus, and suddenly she notices the lake's water drains away. She slips on the mud and falls into the dry lake. An otaku passes by, notices she fell into the muddy lake bottom, and goes down to help her, but in the dark she mistakes him for an attacker and runs away.

The next morning, the whole campus is rife with rumors that the lake drained last night, and that there's a campus legend about the lake, namely that if a boy and a girl encounter each other at the lake when the water has mysteriously disappeared, then the two of them will be bound for life. The legend is well documented in books, in photographs, on the web, etc. The girl starts encountering the otaku guy all over campus, at first being repelled by him, but gradually realizing he's a good guy underneath his unattractive exterior.

So far so good, it's your typical "girl learns to overcome prejudices and will end up with the Hollywood-homely but otherwise nice guy" story. Nothing groundbreaking. The movie doesn't even take itself seriously, with increasingly unlikely and coincidental incidents leading to the girl and the otaku encountering each other. For example, in one scene, the girl finds her trash can in her dorm room on fire. She rushes out of her dorm room and grabs a fire extinguisher, accidentally knocking over two other girls' architectural models in the process. While helping these other two girls put their projects back together, a bird flies in through a window and flutters over her head, startling her. She stands up, trips over a bucket of water that the cleaning lady had placed nearby, and tumbles out a window, only to land on the otaku. What a funny series of coincidences, right?

However, at the end of the movie, the girl does end up with the otaku guy, when she suddenly realizes she never really thought about why the lake would drain itself. She goes down to the lake again, and realizes the water smells like chlorine, ie it's from a swimming pool. She goes to the university swimming pool and examines the inner workings with the custodian, who finds that someone's reconfigured all the pipes that fill and drain the pool.

The girl then heads to the library again to re-examine the books on the legend of the lake, and finds that all the books are fake. She then goes to find some of the people she'd talked to about the legend, only to realize that they were all actors hired from the same company. Not only that, many of the incidents that had taken place over the movie were all made possible by actors, eg the two architecture girls and the cleaning lady had all been arranged to be there, to engineer her fall out the window.

The girl rushes to the otaku's dorm room, and finds it's basically a giant shrine to her. There's also detailed plans and models for draining the lake's water into a nearby river and refilling the lake with the swimming pool, as well as a self-built mechanical remote controlled bird (ie, the bird from the window incident). The otaku appears, and tells the girl that he made up the story of the legend of the lake, hired actors to play the necessary parts, created corroborating websites and books, installed a GPS tracking device in the girl's phone so he'd always be at the right place at the right time, and engineered the lake's draining (including repiping the freaking swimming pool and building a remote control bird), just so he'd be able to convince the girl to be with him.

And then they live happily ever after. No, seriously.

Still a better love story than Twilight.

Last night I watched a Taiwanese movie called Campus Confidential on TV. It's so ridiculous I have to tell you guys about it.
No wonder she said yes... he's apparently both rich AND a genius. As super creepy as all of that was, it's also completely brilliant.

Muppets: Most Wanted

That was a lot of fun. It wasn't as good as The Muppets, but it was still a lot of fun. I don't think the songs were as fun or memorable as the previous go, either. Still, it was a Muppets movie, which means a lot of blatant fourth wall breaking, lampshading, gloriously terrible puns, and just good 'ol fashioned humour. All around fun. I'd say give it a watch if you haven't already. For me, as I said, it just wasn't as g-

Wait...what was that? Did they just...in a musical number...was that...?

Muppets Armadillo.png
THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME.

fade

Staff member
Eh I thought The Muppets was rather boring to tell the truth. It lacked the soul and funny of the old muppets and the plot felt small and dragged out. Plus gangsta rapping old white guy.

It's okay. I had a crush on Beauregard.

...what? Don't look at me like that.
For a moment I thought you meant Violet Beauregard from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and thought, "Oh that's not that bad, kid-Nick had a crush on this bubblegum-chewing girl in the movie."

Dave

Staff member
The wife and I watched "Bad Words" tonight. It's basically a story about a guy who joins the national spelling bee. Jason Bateman stars.

It's weird and at times unnecessarily vulgar. Neither of us were sure how we felt about it. We didn't hate it, but we're not sure we liked it, either. In the end, it kind of redeemed itself, but it took so long to get to a point that by the time it got there you almost didn't care. It was hard to like the protagonist, which to me always makes for an "iffy" movie.

It's impossible to explain much further without giving anything away, so let me just say if you can watch it cheap go for it.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

My son wanted to watch this so we went today. Let's get this out of the way now...this is not a good movie. It may as well be called "Megan Fox thwarts pseudoscience with the help of some vigilantes who happen to be turtles". They butchered the Turtles' backstory to make it more about Megan Fox, they somehow made the Shredder forgettable and insignificant, and they made the motivation for the villainy that a rich guy wanted to get "stupid rich" (actual line). The characterization for the turtles is as basic as possible, and Will Arnett is wasted. The climax is both so predictable and utterly pointless at the same time, which was weird. Even my 7yo son could tell what was going on wasn't right.

However, there are actually a couple of really great scenes in the movie (both focused on the turtles, both near the end of the film) that save it from being a complete train wreck, and made it actually worth watching.

EDIT: Actually, they put up the best scene on youtube, so just watch this and skip the rest of the movie, it goes all downhill from here:

Reactions: Far
The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

This movie was great... for about 30 minutes. Basically, every scene with Electro in it was amazing and fun to watch.

Everything else was slow, boring crap.

End of review.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

My son wanted to watch this so we went today. Let's get this out of the way now...this is not a good movie. It may as well be called "Megan Fox thwarts pseudoscience with the help of some vigilantes who happen to be turtles". They butchered the Turtles' backstory to make it more about Megan Fox, they somehow made the Shredder forgettable and insignificant, and they made the motivation for the villainy that a rich guy wanted to get "stupid rich" (actual line). The characterization for the turtles is as basic as possible, and Will Arnett is wasted. The climax is both so predictable and utterly pointless at the same time, which was weird. Even my 7yo son could tell what was going on wasn't right.

However, there are actually a couple of really great scenes in the movie (both focused on the turtles, both near the end of the film) that save it from being a complete train wreck, and made it actually worth watching.

EDIT: Actually, they put up the best scene on youtube, so just watch this and skip the rest of the movie, it goes all downhill from here:

That actually makes the movie look pretty cool. Irreverent, self-deprecating humor, with nicely animated turtles each given a distinct personality. Pity the rest of the movie doesn't live up to this scene.

I think I said it in the actual thread but the present day turtles were well done. Everything else suffered.

The Lunch Box.

It's a Hindi-film (not a Bollywood song-and-dance). It's quite nice. If you're into foreign films and would like to see some insight to day-to-day life of Indian folks living in Mumbai. It also features a fascinating practice of tiffin lunches and their delivery system. It has Irfan Khan who was in Slum Dog and The Amazing Spider-man.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2350496/

Last movie I saw was Guardians of the Galaxy. It would seem that most of the world has been singing its praises already, so I'll abstain.

But there would be SO MUCH PRAISING, you guys. So much fun!

Damn straight, saw it with my brother earlier today and it was really fun with a great ensemble cast. Kinda confused on how-
the tesseract was actually a reality infinity gem and not the cosmic cube, but I guess it makes more sense so whatevs. That slash through reality wasn't from an edit by the way but more my own conscience shame, a Danny Phantom special had an Infinity Gauntlet knock-off and the name has burned into the back of my mind ever since.

Damn straight, saw it with my brother earlier today and it was really fun with a great ensemble cast. Kinda confused on how-
the tesseract was actually a reality infinity gem and not the cosmic cube, but I guess it makes more sense so whatevs. That slash through reality wasn't from an edit by the way but more my own conscience shame, a Danny Phantom special had an Infinity Gauntlet knock-off and the name has burned into the back of my mind ever since.
Didn't they say explicitly somewhere that they combined the cosmic cube and infinity gem stuff so as to cut down on number of cosmically-powered macguffins but still have as many shout-out references?

there actually wasn't much at all. the philosophy professor only really used science arguments for the film's thesis
...a philosophy teacher who doesn't use philosophy...wow. Also I looked up the plot of the movie OF COURSE he has a dead relative, because him not believing in god based on his own beliefs wouldn't be more compelling.

I hear if you already agree with all the views in Gods Not Dead then it's a really good movie.

I hear if you enjoy any level of critical thinking or just don't like terrible things with Kevin Sorbo or Dean Cain it's horrible.