[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

A detailed summary of the stuff that goes down in Amazing Spider Man 2.

First Paul Giammati comes out screaming nonsense at the camera. They conclude the ensuing battle with him and Spider-Man with a de-pants ing. Some old guy dies while telling the kid from Chronicle that he sucks and gives him his company anyway. Meanwhile Spider-man can't stop seeing the guy who sings the ass-hole song, so he breaks up with his girlfriend. This nerd guy that Spidey saved once falls into a vat of eels and gets sparkle powers (and if you ever write "dude falls into a vat of ..... and gets super powers, you should quit.... Which he did apparently) and goes evil cause he's not on TV anymore. The Chronicle guy is an old friend of Spidey's but doesn't know he's Spidey's so he asks "not Spidey" to get Spidey's blood. Spider-Man shows up at chronicle's house and tells him he's not going to do it, which is about as fucked up as Santa Clause showing up to tell a kid he's all out of presents. Chronicle gets fired and frees Mega-Twatt who now has the power of being the electric Gremlin from Gremlins 2. Spidey goes looking for clues and puts in a subway token and "Ding ding here comes the science train". Chronicle injects himself with Spiderjuice which makes his icky sickness get ickier and the bad lawyer flees and leaves Chronicle in a room with battle armor and even politely opens the door to it for him. Sparky terrorizes the city and they keep cutting to scenes from Die Hard 2 for some reason. Spidey un breaks up with his girlfriend, kills Elec-Bro and breaks his girlfriend's neck cause he's a science nerd who forgets about physics. He knocks out Chronicle, mopes in front of his girlfriend's grave for what is either months or the craziest day's weather ever, and fights a mechanized Paul Giamatti who is still screaming nonsense at the camera. That cover it?

Last edited:
wow the nostalgia critic guy with the glasses better watch his back or you might record that on red letter media and really own those filmmakers with your cutting recaps

Going through the Robin Williams movies on Netflix (not many of them, sadly). The Birdcage is funnier than I remember, Williams and Nathan Lane really work well together.

I can't say I really watched it, but it was on the TV as background noise.

Van Helsing with Hugh Jackman.

I forgot how ungodly terrible that movie was, but I do have to say that the one thing that they did well was the werewolf design.

I can't say I really watched it, but it was on the TV as background noise.

Van Helsing with Hugh Jackman.

I forgot how ungodly terrible that movie was, but I do have to say that the one thing that they did well was the werewolf design.
It had that one-up on Underworld, giving the werewolves hair.

I liked the design for the Frankenstein monster too.

I liked Van Helsing for only two reasons:

1) One of the rare portrayals where Frankenstein's monster is intelligent.
2) The series of DVD sets released at the same time, with all the classic Universal monster movies, like Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, etc. I could only afford Frankenstein at the time, sadly.

The Lego Movie

I remember the forum singing this movie's praises when it came out, basically saying it was surprisingly good. So my wife and I rented the DVD.

Unfortunately, we thought it was all right at best. The missus even fell asleep half way through. It was mildly funny without being hilarious, the plot was mildly interesting without being truly thought-provoking, the animation was pretty but nothing groundbreaking. All in all, an entertaining yet mostly forgettable movie.

Oh well.

The Lego Movie

I remember the forum singing this movie's praises when it came out, basically saying it was surprisingly good. So my wife and I rented the DVD.

Unfortunately, we thought it was all right at best. The missus even fell asleep half way through. It was mildly funny without being hilarious, the plot was mildly interesting without being truly thought-provoking, the animation was pretty but nothing groundbreaking. All in all, an entertaining yet mostly forgettable movie.

Oh well.
What's it like hating fun?

The Lego Movie

Oh well.
Oh, I heard it was getting almost total praise and had 100% on Rotten Tomatoes for a while, so I was looking forward to seeing it at some point (missed it in the theater due to sick wife), but if it's just another alright movie that got over-hyped like Frozen, I won't bother.

Oh, I heard it was getting almost total praise and had 100% on Rotten Tomatoes for a while, so I was looking forward to seeing it at some point (missed it in the theater due to sick wife), but if it's just another alright movie that got over-hyped like Frozen, I won't bother.
It's a great movie.

I'd say it's a good movie, but not an awesome one. Everyone made it sound like an A+ movie, when I'd give it a B+ or so.

fade

Staff member
I liked the Lego movie. It is definitely a high budget home movie but some of the jokes were surprisingly subtle. Basically it's robot chicken the movie: endearing but not really laugh out loud. My 11 year old son absolutely loves it though.

I bought it, the Lego Movie, and still haven't managed to see all of it. I just keep getting bored and wandering off about 30 minutes into it, or falling asleep. I love the Lego video games (Batman and Star Wars are my favorites) but the movie just hasn't caught me. My daughter and her boyfriend like it, my wife likes it, but I guess I just haven't been in the right mood for it.

I enjoyed The Lego Movie a lot and bought it first day it came out on BluRay. It's just a fun movie, well-written movie with a few burst out loud laughing moments - usually towards the end, with punchline set-ups finally paying off (Benny the Spaceman comes especially to mind.). I also love all the visuals, how they take extra care to make the world really look like Lego. It's not just a surprisingly good movie, but it's clearly a giant love letter to Lego for all ages. What could have been a simple, safe movie takes a couple of surprising risks.

I think the deal with the LEGO movie is that you had to grow up playing with LEGO to get most of the appeal. There are literally shots that look like stuff I did as a kid ,like the LEGO ghost composite shot where one is obviously them moving a real one around and the other is clearly CGI. But otherwise, as others have said, it's basically an endearing version of Robot Chicken with some fun characters and a 10-15 minute message to the "Stop Having Fun with LEGO" Guys out there.

The To Do List

Put it on for Aubrey Plaza, but midway through the opening credits I was totally sold on it. Bill Hader, Donald Glover, Andy Samberg, Clark Gregg, Alia Shawkat. Plus Johnny Simmons, who I think is deserving of a bigger part than he's usually relegated to, and McLovin.( I don't know how to spell his actual last name and I don't want to look it up)

The movie is pretty good for what it is.I don't think I'm really the target demographic for teen sex comedies. But as they go, it was serviceable with a few stand out truly funny moments. And it's a genre that really is almost never explored from a female perspective, so that's an interesting take on it. But in that same sense it does play out a little bit like Easy A.

Also it's weird to me that the 90's are getting the Dazed and Confused treatment now. It makes sense, because when you see movie like this, or Detention, you realize how different things were; the 90's really were a very specific time period even though as someone growing up through them you don't really think about it that much until it's pointed out to you. Just a weird shower thought that the movie triggered in me.

Last night I watched a Taiwanese movie called Campus Confidential on TV. It's so ridiculous I have to tell you guys about it.

The movie starts out like your typical young-people romcom. There's a girl who's the most beautiful girl at her university, dating the captain of the basketball team, and hates otaku and thinks they're disgusting. One night she's walking along the lake on campus, and suddenly she notices the lake's water drains away. She slips on the mud and falls into the dry lake. An otaku passes by, notices she fell into the muddy lake bottom, and goes down to help her, but in the dark she mistakes him for an attacker and runs away.

The next morning, the whole campus is rife with rumors that the lake drained last night, and that there's a campus legend about the lake, namely that if a boy and a girl encounter each other at the lake when the water has mysteriously disappeared, then the two of them will be bound for life. The legend is well documented in books, in photographs, on the web, etc. The girl starts encountering the otaku guy all over campus, at first being repelled by him, but gradually realizing he's a good guy underneath his unattractive exterior.

So far so good, it's your typical "girl learns to overcome prejudices and will end up with the Hollywood-homely but otherwise nice guy" story. Nothing groundbreaking. The movie doesn't even take itself seriously, with increasingly unlikely and coincidental incidents leading to the girl and the otaku encountering each other. For example, in one scene, the girl finds her trash can in her dorm room on fire. She rushes out of her dorm room and grabs a fire extinguisher, accidentally knocking over two other girls' architectural models in the process. While helping these other two girls put their projects back together, a bird flies in through a window and flutters over her head, startling her. She stands up, trips over a bucket of water that the cleaning lady had placed nearby, and tumbles out a window, only to land on the otaku. What a funny series of coincidences, right?

However, at the end of the movie, the girl does end up with the otaku guy, when she suddenly realizes she never really thought about why the lake would drain itself. She goes down to the lake again, and realizes the water smells like chlorine, ie it's from a swimming pool. She goes to the university swimming pool and examines the inner workings with the custodian, who finds that someone's reconfigured all the pipes that fill and drain the pool.

The girl then heads to the library again to re-examine the books on the legend of the lake, and finds that all the books are fake. She then goes to find some of the people she'd talked to about the legend, only to realize that they were all actors hired from the same company. Not only that, many of the incidents that had taken place over the movie were all made possible by actors, eg the two architecture girls and the cleaning lady had all been arranged to be there, to engineer her fall out the window.

The girl rushes to the otaku's dorm room, and finds it's basically a giant shrine to her. There's also detailed plans and models for draining the lake's water into a nearby river and refilling the lake with the swimming pool, as well as a self-built mechanical remote controlled bird (ie, the bird from the window incident). The otaku appears, and tells the girl that he made up the story of the legend of the lake, hired actors to play the necessary parts, created corroborating websites and books, installed a GPS tracking device in the girl's phone so he'd always be at the right place at the right time, and engineered the lake's draining (including repiping the freaking swimming pool and building a remote control bird), just so he'd be able to convince the girl to be with him.

And then they live happily ever after. No, seriously.

Last edited:
Last night I watched a Taiwanese movie called Campus Confidential on TV. It's so ridiculous I have to tell you guys about it.

The movie starts out like your typical young-people romcom. There's a girl who's the most beautiful girl at her university, dating the captain of the basketball team, and hates otaku and thinks they're disgusting. One night she's walking along the lake on campus, and suddenly she notices the lake's water drains away. She slips on the mud and falls into the dry lake. An otaku passes by, notices she fell into the muddy lake bottom, and goes down to help her, but in the dark she mistakes him for an attacker and runs away.

The next morning, the whole campus is rife with rumors that the lake drained last night, and that there's a campus legend about the lake, namely that if a boy and a girl encounter each other at the lake when the water has mysteriously disappeared, then the two of them will be bound for life. The legend is well documented in books, in photographs, on the web, etc. The girl starts encountering the otaku guy all over campus, at first being repelled by him, but gradually realizing he's a good guy underneath his unattractive exterior.

So far so good, it's your typical "girl learns to overcome prejudices and will end up with the Hollywood-homely but otherwise nice guy" story. Nothing groundbreaking. The movie doesn't even take itself seriously, with increasingly unlikely and coincidental incidents leading to the girl and the otaku encountering each other. For example, in one scene, the girl finds her trash can in her dorm room on fire. She rushes out of her dorm room and grabs a fire extinguisher, accidentally knocking over two other girls' architectural models in the process. While helping these other two girls put their projects back together, a bird flies in through a window and flutters over her head, startling her. She stands up, trips over a bucket of water that the cleaning lady had placed nearby, and tumbles out a window, only to land on the otaku. What a funny series of coincidences, right?

However, at the end of the movie, the girl does end up with the otaku guy, when she suddenly realizes she never really thought about why the lake would drain itself. She goes down to the lake again, and realizes the water smells like chlorine, ie it's from a swimming pool. She goes to the university swimming pool and examines the inner workings with the custodian, who finds that someone's reconfigured all the pipes that fill and drain the pool.

The girl then heads to the library again to re-examine the books on the legend of the lake, and finds that all the books are fake. She then goes to find some of the people she'd talked to about the legend, only to realize that they were all actors hired from the same company. Not only that, many of the incidents that had taken place over the movie were all made possible by actors, eg the two architecture girls and the cleaning lady had all been arranged to be there, to engineer her fall out the window.

The girl rushes to the otaku's dorm room, and finds it's basically a giant shrine to her. There's also detailed plans and models for draining the lake's water into a nearby river and refilling the lake with the swimming pool, as well as a self-built mechanical remote controlled bird (ie, the bird from the window incident). The otaku appears, and tells the girl that he made up the story of the legend of the lake, hired actors to play the necessary parts, created corroborating websites and books, installed a GPS tracking device in the girl's phone so he'd always be at the right place at the right time, and engineered the lake's draining (including repiping the freaking swimming pool and building a remote control bird), just so he'd be able to convince the girl to be with him.

And then they live happily ever after. No, seriously.
Stalking is sexy.