[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

There's only a few minutes of difference. The extended editions this time around are going to be bullshit since making a third entire movie out of two means that there's precious little left on the cutting room floor.[DOUBLEPOST=1386779938,1386779845][/DOUBLEPOST]
To be fair, it WAS going to be just two movies, but they took all that extra footage that would have been in the "EXTENDED EDITIONS" down the line and just made a third movie instead.
Said ScytheRexx posts above mine that I didn't read. Ha ha ha.

It's not the true extended edition as when LOTR released it's single release extended edition, then released the box set second wave extended edition added ALOT more features.

There's no such thing as an extended edition first run. That's just to get people to buy them early.

It's not the true extended edition as when LOTR released it's single release extended edition, then released the box set second wave extended edition added ALOT more features.

There's no such thing as an extended edition first run. That's just to get people to buy them early.
What early LOTR Extended Editions are you referring to? The box four disk Extended Editions came out a year after the related movies, same as the "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" Extended Edition.

What early LOTR Extended Editions are you referring to? The box four disk Extended Editions came out a year after the related movies, same as the "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" Extended Edition.
The Extended Edition Fellowship vs the Extended Box edition.

The Extended Edition Fellowship was released within a year of the regular release, like the Hobbit. In that you are correct. It was however not as complete as the LOTR Box set Extended Edition, which didn't come out until all 3 films had released then a year after that.

The Extended Edition Fellowship was released within a year of the regular release, like the Hobbit. In that you are correct. It was however not as complete as the LOTR Box set Extended Edition, which didn't come out until all 3 films had released then a year after that.
My question would be is if actuall footage in the films proper is different. I don't care so much about extra feature stuff.

My question would be is if actuall footage in the films proper is different. I don't care so much about extra feature stuff.
Probably not, as was stated in the previous post, extra footage was probably just spread out for the 3rd film. Extra features though, there's always more when you wait for the box sets. I am with you however in the sense that I don't really watch extra features but I do enjoy buying box sets to save on price and get it all in one go.

You mean this? Appartently the Blu-ray version adds a little more content (an extra "Behind The Scenes" DVD for each movie), though the basic DVD box set was just a collection of the 4 disk sets. But the majority of the extra features were in the single film 4 disk sets. So we probably can't expect a lot of new stuff once all three Hobbit movies are out.

EDIT: The main bonus feature I'll miss is the cast commentary. Those were fun for the LOTR movies. :(

Just saw the NOT LONG AGO RELEASED"The Worlds End".

I have to admit, I didn't see that ending coming. I kind of just stared off for a bit in bewilderment.

Cajungal

Staff member
I liked it too. Really really fun. Smaug's voice was so cool. Benedict Cumberbatch has kinda made me want to fuck a dragon.

I'm hoping to see The Desolation of Smaug on Sunday, but I'll probably end up being responsible and working on my final projects for exam week.

I liked DoS. I liked it just fine in 24 fps in 2D too. Yeah.

Cumberbatch as Smaug kind of bummed me out. Not that he did a bad job or anything, just that there was so much post processing that that voice could have been anyone. Kind of like when Hugo Weaving was Megatron in the Bayformers movies, so much crap layered over his voice that it was barely recognizable.

Desolation of Smaug was fucking excellent. And even though I'm getting all the Middle Earth books for Christmas, I think I might hold off reading the Hobbit until after the third movie.

Desolation of Smaug was fucking excellent. And even though I'm getting all the Middle Earth books for Christmas, I think I might hold off reading the Hobbit until after the third movie.
No need, the Hobbit movies are taking a very far turn from the books. Interestingly enough, it's not in a bad way. They're just adding alot of content not in the books.

No need, the Hobbit movies are taking a very far turn from the books. Interestingly enough, it's not in a bad way. They're just adding alot of content not in the books.
Content consistent with established lore? Or content invented out of thin air and ego*?

--Patrick
*The whole Willy Wonka's dad thing in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for instance.

I thought it was funny reading about how Evangeline Lily took the role because there wasn't any sort of tacked on love angle. Then they all had to do a bunch of reshoots (to add content for the stretch to 3 movies) and that's all the reshoots were.

They didn't take anything out of the books, they added completely new content and content from other writings of Toilken. Everything they added actually helped pace the film much better than had they followed the books directly. They didn't change any important scenes or even dialogue. The entire conversation between Bilbo and Smaug was word for word from the book and I was quoting along with it in my head. Really great work mixing the literature with the cinematic.

Last edited:
Even though I'm minding the 3-movie split of The Hobbit less and less (partly because I really liked the first), I'd like to see a director's cut that's JUST material directly from The Hobbit book, taking out all the ancillary material.

Watched it and overall I thought it was good. I'll never turn down a trip to watch more Middle Earth. There's too many shit movies out there.

However, I'll be frank... I enjoyed the first movie much more than DoS. Maybe it was close to the decade of being LOTR-less, maybe it was simply a better movie... Which is disappointing since LOTR got progressively better and I definitely felt DoS was a weaker movie. I feel the way the movie was split in three is the major cause of this issue.

I enjoyed the intro to the movie again, to have a potent scene between Gandalf and Thorin at the start of the movie was perfect. I was set to go... but then it became a ROLLER COASTER OF ACTION ONE AFTER ANOTHER....having Legalas and Tauriel show up for a good hour of the movie felt tacted on even though Legolas is still pretty awesome and Tauriel held her own in the movie (also cute as fuck).

The love thing was tacky, the extended barrel scene was too much for me and for a dragon who killed supposedly countless dwarves he's pretty damn useless not being able to kill even one so far (I never read the book).

I liked how Bilbo gave his sword a name when Balin told him in the 1st movie that his blade had no name because it achieved nothing.... but he never got more than a pat on the back for saving their asses time and time again. Furthermore, Thorin is a shitty leader, there I said it.

I hope for a much better 3rd movie but I won't complain more than I already have.

Furthermore, Thorin is a shitty leader, there I said it.
Admittedly, that's basically the point.

I haven't seen DoS yet, but that was the case in the book as well. Thorin is deeply flawed as a leader, and his pride, resentment, and desperation are what really set the events of the story in motion. Thorin can't let go of that stuff, and so his ability to lead is completely compromised.