[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Blackfish: Documentary about captive killer whales and trainer deaths.

I broke at the point where they played recordings of the mother whales screaming after their babies were taken away.

Fuck SeaWorld.

my other beef is they feel (and realize my background is in VFX/Production so this probably won't bother other folks) far "cleaner" than the LOTR films. I think part of it is the higher frame rate (which I overall like) but the biggest issue is that they are using far more CGI than miniatures and I think those miniatures (or "biggatures" as the LOTR team called them) helped to gritty stuff up.
I'd also suggest that it is somewhat deliberate as well. The Hobbit is a "cleaner" book than LOTR, and the visual style reflecting that is a nice touch (assuming it's a purposeful decision)

Lots of movies in a short time!

First, another round of Blackfish because my wife wanted to watch it.

Then she opened her Yule gift, Rise of the Guardians. I liked it more this time now that I wasn't distracted with comparisons to other works of fiction.

Today we saw Frozen. I feel like it set up an interesting story at the beginning and then wimped out on the follow-through. There were parts I liked and parts that felt forced (waaay too many songs that weren't needed). The last few years, Disney has been putting out future classics, and this one just felt like a lot of padding between a strong opening and a couple good twists at the end. The short "Get a Horse" was great though.

Frozen

Just fantastic. I've been craving a good musical for awhile, and this filled that very nicely. Can't have the movie for awhile, but thanks to amazon I was downloading the soundtrack before the end credit scene, and we were listening to it in the car on the way home.

I really liked this movie.
I really wish I'd felt this way. I was looking forward to it.

Cajungal

Staff member
I've been trying to decide whether or not I want to spend the money to see it in theaters. It looks fun and really pretty... but exactly how annoying is that Snowman?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I felt that Frozen was kind of flat too, if it makes you feel any better. ;)
A little :p. It kind of felt like Brave to me, as if somewhere along the line they switched gears and so things got kind of muddled. Both movies could have used either a strong antagonist or a familial problem with some teeth to it.

I've been trying to decide whether or not I want to spend the money to see it in theaters. It looks fun and really pretty... but exactly how annoying is that Snowman?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk
He's not annoying, actually. The teaser was misleading on that. He's probably one of the better characters. And the movie is pretty.

Responding to your ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed brave too, but now it's not as interesting. I'm somewhat worried frozen will lose its luster over time as well. Time will tell, but the theater was packed today, and there was strong applause at the end, which suggests it's got legs at least given that we are weeks after opening night. I suspect we will hear the show's main tune as a pop song for awhile after stations stop playing Christmas music.
... People applaud movies? Why? I've never encountered this phenomenon.

Frozen has consistently been selling out since we opened it. Even when we had it in two theatres. 2D has been more popular though.

Today we saw Frozen. I feel like it set up an interesting story at the beginning and then wimped out on the follow-through. There were parts I liked and parts that felt forced (waaay too many songs that weren't needed).
I'm wondering if this will be one of those movies that you watch a second time and like better that time around.

I really enjoyed the songs. I was diappointed when they stopped occuring during the final half. "Let it Go" is my favorite. Menzel gives such an amazing performance.

I love when people applaud for moments in a movie, but also the end. It's why I used to go to opening nights frequently; the audience then is more excited and expressive. It becomes a group experience.

I'll try to see it in 3D this week with the rest of my kids (we only took two with us last night).

It's leaving the theaters soon though, I bet.
If it's still selling out in places, you might be okay for a bit. January tends to be studio dumping ground for all the stuff they don't expect to perform, so late-year movies that are performing tend to stick around a bit longer. Of course, that depends on your area and how many screens your theater has. We have 18 screens, so I expect to see Frozen around well into January. My hometown only had 4 screens though, so if I'd wanted to see something back then, it had to be in the first couple weeks.

Die Hard

Picked up a BluRay copy of this last night and watched it today. It's honestly been a long time since I've watched this, but holy hell is this movie still amazing. It's really well paced, with big action and character development taking place at just the right times. Plus, while the bad guys are still more or less cookie-cutter evil Germans (with surprisingly luxurious hair), each of them look and act different from one another unlike just about any other action movie presents its thugs.

And now that I've actually watched it for the first time in years, I can firmly stand by that this is a Christmas movie. I even wrote a short blog post listing the Top 10 Reasons why Die Hard is a Christmas Movie:

http://nickpiers.wordpress.com/2013/12/22/top-10-reasons-why-die-hard-is-a-christmas-movie/

welcome to the boudoir of the Snow Queen. :D
I know! "Yeth." is still one of the funniest words in any webcomic, ever.[DOUBLEPOST=1387747629,1387747372][/DOUBLEPOST]
The only movie I've ever seen that happen at was The Lion King.
And Rocky IV. During the final fight I could barely see the action because people were standing up in their seats and yelling at the screen en masse.

--Patrick

I think X-men really did deserve the applause it got. It was really the first good super-hero movie since Tim Burton's Batman and probably the first ever super-hero movie that didn't treat it's source material with disdain, or as a kid's medium (with the possible exception of Donner's Superman movies). I still remember the feeling of walking out of that movie and having hope that we could actually see good superhero movies.

And we certainly did. Though I think it's fair to say that X-Men pales big time in comparison to the superheroes that followed it. Still good on its own, but not as good as what came after.

I think X-men really did deserve the applause it got. It was really the first good super-hero movie since Tim Burton's Batman and probably the first ever super-hero movie that didn't treat it's source material with disdain, or as a kid's medium (with the possible exception of Donner's Superman movies). I still remember the feeling of walking out of that movie and having hope that we could actually see good superhero movies.
I want to know what the crowd reaction was to X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine

And we certainly did. Though I think it's fair to say that X-Men pales big time in comparison to the superheroes that followed it. Still good on its own, but not as good as what came after.
No, but without that movie, we wouldn't have what we currently have. Ironically, the same can be said about Ang Lee's Hulk, but for the opposite reason. It was so bad that Marvel finally said, "screw this, we're just going to make our own movies".

That being said, I do still think X-men and particularly X-2 still hold up, as do the first two Spider-man movies.