[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Princess Mononoke: Finally got this back from my stepbrother and got to show it to my 11-year-old cousins. "That was SO AWESOME!" was the reaction, with one of them now wanting to cosplay as San at the con she's going to with another cousin. It's a majestic, beautiful movie that needs a Blu-Ray, dammit.

Spirited Away: I'd wanted to wait to watch this again for me to forget stuff from it so I could really enjoy it again, as I've watched it too many times. But I think in having that perspective I'd already forgotten something about it--how wonderful it is. And watching it last night brought that back.

One neat thing to note: I've been showing Spirited Away to those same cousins since they were 3, so they're well-acquainted with the movie. But this was the first time they realized that the ending is sad.

My babies are growing up! :cry:

Been on a bit of an older movie kick. So many I wanted to see but missed in theaters.

This is the End - One of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time. Enough said.

---

The Croods - I actually liked this movie more then I expected. I think I was glad that a lot of the focus ended up being on the father rather then the daughter, as based on what I saw I thought it was mostly going to focus on some relationship between his daughter and the other dude. That ended up happening, but more as something to add conflict for the father.

---

Turbo - Mixed. It was fun to watch, but the way it was constructed made me feel like they were making Pixar's Cars with a snail. Yes, a lot of the plot threads were flipped, and the overall "point" was different, but it still followed the general arc of...
Hero is thrust from his old life into a new one, comes across down on it's luck town / strip mall, becomes friends with a varied group of characters from said town /strip mall, is constantly talked down by the person he most respects, finally goes to the races, learns lesson about life and support from the person he respected to either win / lose gracefully, returns to town / strip mall which is now a booming place full of people due to heroes actions at the race.

Next old movie on my list is At World's End, then I hope to see Frozen and Catching Fire before they leave theaters.

Been on a bit of an older movie kick. So many I wanted to see but missed in theaters.

This is the End -
---
The Croods -
---
Turbo -

Next old movie on my list is At World's End, then I hope to see Frozen and Catching Fire before they leave theaters.
You have a much different definition of old than I do. Not complaining, or saying you should change, just commenting.

Old movies to me go back to b/w or early color, Spencer Tracey, Katherine Hepburn, and Cary Grant era.

Old movies to me go back to b/w or early color, Spencer Tracey, Katherine Hepburn, and Cary Grant era.
"old" in this instance is movies I was unable to see while in theaters. Anything in theaters to me is "new" and anything outside is now "old". I didn't mean old as in back before I was born, I call those classic. Just difference of usage I suppose.

Just variations in usage of words. I personally think that you can have new/recent movies that are classic, and classic/golden age movies that are total crap. To me, I call movies in theaters and movies coming or just released on Blu-ray as new, recent is came out in the last couple of years (not really defined, but even things that I didn't see at all but showed up on non-premium (HBO et al) television), then variations of "old" depending on who I'm talking to.

Brain is starting to go fuzzy now, finally ready to go to sleep. Have a good night.

So, Frozen, a new Disney...Pfft, thoseh ave been crap for a while now, right? Probably not worth going to see in the theaters? Yeah, I thought as much ... :whistling:

"old" in this instance is movies I was unable to see while in theaters. Anything in theaters to me is "new" and anything outside is now "old". I didn't mean old as in back before I was born, I call those classic. Just difference of usage I suppose.
I can't have gotten enough sleep last night if this is making me giggle like an idiot.

The time range for a movie being in theaters is typically one and a half to two months. The usual time range for a non-Pixar film to go from theatrical release day to DVD/Blu-Ray is four months.

old (
ld)adj. old·er, old·est
a.
Having lived or existed for a relatively long time; far advanced in years or life.
b. Relatively advanced in age: Pamela is our oldest child.
X

I don't know what to tell you guys. That is just how I consider movies in my head. If it's not in theaters I consider it "old", it's at the final stage of it's life cycle where it has retired to the red box to live out the rest of it's life until it is buried in old archives only to appear on random streaming sites now and then. "shrug"

Since even the definition of the word "old" doesn't include a time frame or some relevant marker when something does become "old", it's completely perspective based. A 3-year old might think of a 7-year old as "old". So sure. If he wants to think of a movie that's been released on video as "old" compared to ones that are "new" and in theaters, sure. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Man of Steel

I enjoyed it. Thought they made some interesting choices and while I didn't agree with all of them I found the overall presentation enjoyable,

Since even the definition of the word "old" doesn't include a time frame or some relevant marker when something does become "old", it's completely perspective based. A 3-year old might think of a 7-year old as "old". So sure. If he wants to think of a movie that's been released on video as "old" compared to ones that are "new" and in theaters, sure. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
It doesn't bother me; it made me laugh early in the morning.

Much Ado About Nothing

The Joss Whedon version. It made some interesting choices, and I liked it quite a bit, but I prefer the version from Kenneth Branaugh (sans Keanu, which was the casting misstep of the prior millennium).

Oz: The Great and Powerful

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this movie. I thought James Franco and most of the rest of the cast did a good job, Mila Kunnis was just kind of, eh. There was a good amount of sets that helped make up for the standing around a large empty room of bluescreen. I particularly enjoyed how Oz's story somewhat mirrored that of Dorthy's (in the movie at least, and it's pretty clear that Sam Rami really would have preferred the movie be produced by MGM so he could have used it's continuity), and I thought his supporting cast was pretty fun. I'm a sucker for a character getting a second chance at a mistake or failure. The biggest fault with the movie is that it suffered from a bad case of prequel problems, but it's somewhat forgivable because Rami does a good job at showing the journey and making me interested in the how.

Much Ado About Nothing

The Joss Whedon version. It made some interesting choices, and I liked it quite a bit, but I prefer the version from Kenneth Branaugh (sans Keanu, which was the casting misstep of the prior millennium).
It amazes how many otherwise good movies have the blemish of casting Kevin Costner or Keanu Reeves.

Innerspace: Oldie but a goodie. It's not every day that you can get your wife to see a movie by describing it as "Dennis Quaid gets injected into Martin Short's ass."

Over the last two weeks I've watched all the Peter Jackson Middle Earth movies. I started with Special Edition Lord of the Rings and all appendices, three four hour movies plus around 6 hours of extras for each film too. This seemed to be a movie trilogy that was made with a lot of love and care.

Then I watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey again and its extra features were, an ad for New Zealand, and the Video Blogs Jackson put on YouTube. This seemed to be a movie that was made out of a contractual agreement.

Then I watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey again and its extra features were, an ad for New Zealand, and the Video Blogs Jackson put on YouTube. This seemed to be a movie that was made out of a contractual agreement.
To be fair, it WAS going to be just two movies, but they took all that extra footage that would have been in the "EXTENDED EDITIONS" down the line and just made a third movie instead.

Over the last two weeks I've watched all the Peter Jackson Middle Earth movies. I started with Special Edition Lord of the Rings and all appendices, three four hour movies plus around 6 hours of extras for each film too. This seemed to be a movie trilogy that was made with a lot of love and care.

You realize you compared the Special Edition Trilogy set that came out much later with alot of additional time and additions to a first run of the Hobbit?

The comparison would be equal if you had compared Fellowships first run dvd/bluray release vs the Hobbit.

I personally am waiting for the 3 Hobbit films to release then the Special Edition sets with the extra hours of footage and additions much like LOTR did.

But if anything the Theatrical Releases moved a a better pace. I love the additional scenes in the extended versions, but they really drag the movies down in enjoyment. I guess the better way to say it is, My JRR Tolkien Nerd Self likes the additions, but my Movie Fan self does not.

There is already so much needles additions to the Hobbit that I doubt there will be anything extra added later on.

But if anything the Theatrical Releases moved a a better pace. I love the additional scenes in the extended versions, but they really drag the movies down in enjoyment. I guess the better way to say it is, My JRR Tolkien Nerd Self likes the additions, but my Movie Fan self does not.

There is already so much needles additions to the Hobbit that I doubt there will be anything extra added later on.
Except that there is an Extended Edition already.