[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

figmentPez

Staff member
Argo - Damn this was a good movie. The pacing was fantastic, the stakes felt high even though history already knows the ending. I'd highly recommend it.

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox - This comic movie sucks! There are some amazing action sequences, and some scenes actually work well, but overall it's just trying way too hard to be grimdark. The characterization of the evil villains is pathetic. There really isn't any explanation shown for how these characters became so jaded and brutal. The Flash in Lex Luthor's body did a better job at believable antagonism. "No [I won't wash my hands], 'cuz I'm evil!"

Forget this movie and go read Justice League: The Nail instead. Much better alternate universe.

Flight - I liked this movie, but I don't think it was exceptional. Maybe I was in the wrong mood to watch it, or got distracted too much while doing so, but it just didn't really grab me at any point, even though I enjoyed it, overall.

Much Ado About Nothing - This was really damn good. Even though I was heavily distracted while watching it, I still got pulled in several times. The framing for the story, the acting and the visuals are all done so well that it tells the story even when the dialog doesn't fully connect. This is a beautiful film.

Last night on the suggestion of many, I watched Repo!: The Genetic Opera. I liked it okay though I suspect mainly for Anthony Stewart Head, whom I always enjoy. So afterwards I fought off the urge to watch the Once More With Feeling episode of Buffy and instead watch Much Ado About Nothing, which was delightful and left me with a stupid grin on my face for most of its duration.

Kung Fu Panda 2: Damn. Daaaaaaaamn. This was really good. I heard people say it was, but I didn't believe them, because the first one didn't feel like it needed a sequel.
I was so damn impressed with Kung-Fu-Panda 2. I think it's one of those rare instances where the sequel absolutely shows up the first film. Don't get me wrong. I loved Kung Fu Panda. But 2 not only involved a more epic plot, but did so with beautiful animation and battle sequences.
I've been putting off seeing KFP2, just because I didn't think it could live up to the original. Now I'm not so sure.
I mean, I like KFP enough. In fact, I think it'll endure as a shining example of the genre, the sort of thing that future students of animation cinema will pick apart in classrooms. It has layers of depth that you don't notice until subsequent viewings.
But if you guys say KFP2 is worth it, well, then I'd better rustle up a copy.

--Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
I liked it better than the first one. I almost never say that. One thing that impressed me was the way combat was animated. Gorgeous.

Yeah KFP2 was definitely better, wish I saw it in theaters honestly. Really loved how the flash back was in 2-D, and they really stepped up the action by at least two notches.

The Conjuring

Eh, it was okay. I don't see why everyone was calling it the scariest movie of the year. It was like a marriage between Insidious and Paranormal Activity (the former of which I like a lot, though it's not very scary).

But yeah, it was good, but not as great as I was expecting.

The Conjuring

Eh, it was okay. I don't see why everyone was calling it the scariest movie of the year. It was like a marriage between Insidious and Paranormal Activity (the former of which I like a lot, though it's not very scary).

But yeah, it was good, but not as great as I was expecting.
What was your scariest movie of the year? I'd like to watch it.

What was your scariest movie of the year? I'd like to watch it.
Don't really have one. I'm so desensitized to horror now that barely anything phases me. Last one that gave me any kind of legitimate jumps or spine-tingles was Drag Me to Hell. But I think that was mainly due to the theatre I saw it in. It had the greatest surround sound system I'd ever experienced, so any kind of thumping or such REALLY stood out.

Don't really have one. I'm so desensitized to horror now that barely anything phases me. Last one that gave me any kind of legitimate jumps or spine-tingles was Drag Me to Hell. But I think that was mainly due to the theatre I saw it in. It had the greatest surround sound system I'd ever experienced, so any kind of thumping or such REALLY stood out.
Okay, that was 2009. The Conjuring was 2013. Without something scarier than The Conjuring, it would logically be the scariest movie of the year. If no horror movies were released in 2014, and the third Hobbit film has one creepy scene with Gollum, you could then feasibly call it the scariest movie of that year. [/Gilgameshing] :p

Oh right, I forgot that came out this year. I'll have to check it out, especially since rumor has it that Army of Darkness 2 will somehow be a cross-over between the original series and the remake's continuity.

Yeah, Evil Dead was surprisingly pretty solid. I will say that The Conjuring was still pretty good. I just went into it with too high expectations about it being scary.

The Hole - I've been putting off seeing this since it came out in 2009 because people said it was kind of lackluster. People were right. I was hoping for something decent out of Joe Dante, but this came off as a stretched out episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?, which would be forgivable if there were decent scares, or good performances, interesting characters ... just something. But the movie lacks teeth and the talent just isn't on display. The kid playing the older brother comes off as bored, the younger brother never pulls off fear believably, and the next door neighbor feels like she's in the wrong kind of movie.
I waited a while for this one to be available on netflix myself. As soon as I heard Dante was involved I had been wanting to see it. It was kinda crazy to see a film of his just not even make it to American theaters. Eventually I did get to see it, but sadly also felt it was lackluster. A full-length AYAOTD is about right. I thought the last half was somewhat okay. I think this is just one of those kid-friendly horror films that just isn't going to give adults much as far as entertainment.

Also, your wife actually leaves the house to visit friends? You're two for two, sir.

I waited a while for this one to be available on netflix myself. As soon as I heard Dante was involved I had been wanting to see it. It was kinda crazy to see a film of his just not even make it to American theaters. Eventually I did get to see it, but sadly also felt it was lackluster. A full-length AYAOTD is about right. I thought the last half was somewhat okay. I think this is just one of those kid-friendly horror films that just isn't going to give adults much as far as entertainment.

Also, your wife actually leaves the house to visit friends? You're two for two, sir.
She wasn't for a while, only recently has she been going more frequently.

On the other hand, she's been asleep for the past 18 hours. I should probably do something about that.

She wasn't for a while, only recently has she been going more frequently.

On the other hand, she's been asleep for the past 18 hours. I should probably do something about that.
You have to deal with her depression. I have to deal with my wife's intense smothering.

GasBandit

Staff member
Saw Ender's Game tonight. It was pretty good. Yeah they changed little bits here and there, but I think they hit all the points they needed.

And,

Like I said, they had to leave out the Locke and Demosthenes subplot, but the movie holds up without it.

Last Vegas

When we were in the mall yesterday, my dad was looking at the posters for the current movies playing. He had an interest in seeing Last Vegas. I thought the trailers looked pretty funny and I thought it'd be nice for me and him to see a movie together.

At first, he said no because he's not a theatre-going guy. The last movie he saw in theatres was when the entire family went to see Titanic on Boxing Day back in the 90s. Mom fell asleep not even halfway through. Dad complained about how hot the theatre was, how loud it was, and asking when the damn boat was going to sink. So get him into a theatre at all would be a minor victory.

All three of us loved it. Hell, I was laughing so hard, I had tears in my eyes a few times. Could be that I needed a good laugh after the last few weeks of fighting depression, but this certainly helped. I'm not usually one for seeing comedies or dramas in theatres, but I'm glad I went. Also glad to get my parents to see it, as they really enjoyed it. Though I wonder how much of it hit close to home for Dad since he's coming very close to 80.