[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Dead Silence

Despite it being pretty dumb, I actually enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. It's certainly a credit to director James Wan, who after this movie went on to make some damn fine horror flicks.

There's a twist near the end that I won't spoil, but honestly, if you're paying even a slight bit of attention like I was, you'll see it coming fifty miles away. Still a cool twist, but it's an obvious one.

Yeah, it may have not been the best movie ever made, but the killer gets a nod for actually being creepy which is an accomplishment nowadays.

that scene with the giant tongue made out of all the victims tongues... just ew....

Yeah, it may have not been the best movie ever made, but the killer gets a nod for actually being creepy which is an accomplishment nowadays.

that scene with the giant tongue made out of all the victims tongues... just ew....
I was just reading on the differences between the unrated and rated versions.

Apparently the unrated version is the only one with the tongue bits. The rated version - the one I saw via Netflix - doesn't have it. And honestly? Just from reading about it and seeing the screen caps, I think I'm glad I didn't see it. The movie was silly enough as it was. The tongue stuff sounds stupid.

I got the DVD back when streaming was just a gleam in Netflix's eye, so it must have been the Unrated version.

But that old lady be scurry, yo!

Oh THAT'S what that was. I thought it was just some random creepy thing--didn't realize its mechanism. Ew.

Necronic

Staff member
I finally watched World War Z. It's funny because I swear I was pretty apologetic as it was getting made while everyone else was claiming it would be shit, then it comes out and, while no one argued that it was amazing, most people agreed it wasn't bad. And now here I am, after defending it during production, forced to admit that it's a train wreck.

I don't know if it's impossible to make a movie out of that book, but I think Pitt made a sincere effort of it and failed dramatically. Too many plot elements were shoehorned in withou enough time for it to feel right, they did good with what they had, but what they had should never have been made into a movie.

I finally watched World War Z. It's funny because I swear I was pretty apologetic as it was getting made while everyone else was claiming it would be shit, then it comes out and, while no one argued that it was amazing, most people agreed it wasn't bad. And now here I am, after defending it during production, forced to admit that it's a train wreck.

I don't know if it's impossible to make a movie out of that book, but I think Pitt made a sincere effort of it and failed dramatically. Too many plot elements were shoehorned in withou enough time for it to feel right, they did good with what they had, but what they had should never have been made into a movie.
I don't think I've met anyone with any sense that thought it was amazing....

Robot and Frank

Cute movie that really hurt to watch, because the main character is basically where my grandfather is mentally.

Gravity

Okay, that was pretty fantastic. Even though the score was breathtaking and awe inspiring, I wonder if the film would have been served better without any music at all. Just to get across the vast emptiness of space and such. Despite that, the tension throughout the movie was heart-pounding.

And while I'm not the biggest Sandra Bullock fan, I won't purposely avoid movies with her in it. I'm glad I didn't here because she did a phenomenal job. Clooney, of course, was as great as always. I'm even surprised to hear myself saying that as just a few years ago, I honestly did avoid everything he was in because the stink of Batman & Robin never wore off for me. But like Leonardo DiCaprio, he's won me back with some fantastic performances like this.

One of the things I love about the director's style - at least with this and Children of Men - is that the camera almost at all times follows the main character. You rarely see shots without them in it, so the entire time, you're seeing things essentially from their point of view. Like Children of Men, that camera focus on the main character (Clive Owen in Children of Men and Bullock for this) really helps drive home the constant tension.

If I have the chance before it's out of theatres, I'd like to see this again in 3-D. It's a shame the only theatre in town doesn't have IMAX, because I bet this would be phenomenal to watch on it.

Man of Steel

I watched this again during a recent flight, and I deliberately tried to keep track of the times Superman either deliberately caused, or ignored the fact that he was causing, collateral damage.

On the whole, while the other Kryptonians definitely did more deliberate damage, I still don't think Superman's innocent in this regard.

Still a very enjoyable movie though.

Rosemary's Baby: Second time seeing this, and also second time this year. I cannot believe how great this movie is. I feel like this movie has the most real performances I've seen out of people out of most movies, but especially for movies of its era with a domestic setting. I love showing how Rosemary is with her neighbor vs with her friends. Sometimes a single scene can add enormous depth to one character or another.

Ending stuff:
Everything is done so well and believably and real-feeling that I was convinced that the coven just believed they were witches, that none of that was real, until the end, which comes as a shock. And Mia Farrow portrays that shock flawlessly when she first looks into the bassinet.

For me, this is up there with Chinatown.

I tried to see Gravity today, but the mother fucker was sold out and neither of us wanted to wait an hour for the next show. Jesus Christ. Was not expecting that kind of popularity.

Insidious kinda falls into the same horror issues I have with most movies. Damn good first 2 acts and then oversharing "the monster" (be it an actual monster or a place or whatever) kind of mucks it up in the 3rd act. Though, Insidious is not nearly as guilty of this as say, Mama.

I finally got around to watching Ginger Snaps. I thought it was good to a point. It wasn't a great movie, but in a world where there are so few good werewolf movies, It stands head and shoulders above most. I think I just had really high expectations going into it because so many people I know had gushed about how revolutionary it is. I thought the werewolf as puberty metaphor was extremely hamfisted. For god's sake, they even had the one boy who gets infected break out with huge zits when he starts turning.

Also, BOY is that movie ever Canadian. There's something that's just doofy and fun about Canadian film and television.

Other great Canadian (cheaply made) horror/sci-fi? Cube. Just stop with Cube though, Hypercube and Cube 3: Cubetarded aren't very good.

I finally got around to watching Ginger Snaps. I thought it was good to a point. It wasn't a great movie, but in a world where there are so few good werewolf movies, It stands head and shoulders above most.
This is where I stand with it. It's a good horror movie (though not scary), but relative to werewolf movies, it's very good. My favorite werewolf movie is still Wolf.

This is where I stand with it. It's a good horror movie (though not scary), but relative to werewolf movies, it's very good. My favorite werewolf movie is still Wolf.
I don't know why out of all the movie monsters, Werewolves are the hardest to do right. I mean it's its own built in metaphor.