[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

*pulls nervously at his collar* Given our resident cancer fighter, I personally don't find that funny.
Cancer is prominent in my family and has taken more than a few relatives.

It's still freakin' hilarious. The entire reason it's funny is because it's this huge issue, and the line reading is so flat.

Babysitting lazy 11-year-olds meant it was a movie day.

Men in Black: Must've been forever since I watched this movie, but I still knew it beat for beat after seeing it so many times. But my cousins had only seen the sequels, so they were up for watching it. I felt a certain kind of action movie had died in the 80s, but this one still held up as not feeling fake when it got to certain scenes of suspense or wonder. Not even counting how Will Smith seems to make most sci-fi he's in feel credible, but just something about the pacing worked more naturally than a lot of movies today where scenes you're "supposed" to do for effect feel forced.

Big Fish: Unless I'm forgetting something, this is to date Tim Burton's last good movie and it's still a winner. Lots of heart and weirdness and creativity. One fun bit early on helped me teach one cousin something about storytelling. About 10-15 minutes in, during one of the flashbacks/tall tales, the main character finds out how he's going to die, but we don't.
Cousin: "They didn't show it."
Me: "What?"
Cousin: "What he saw. Why didn't they show it?"
Me: "Do you want to know what he saw?"
Cousin: "Yeah."
Me: "That's why they didn't show you."
Cousin: "...oooohhhhhhhhh."

:D

Elysium. It was ok. It was pretty and exciting but it lacked something. The characters suffered from being too dumb to live. I dunno. Something bugged me.

I know this, it would have greatly benefited from some more original music. It's score was so orchestral epic generic.

Men in Black: Must've been forever since I watched this movie, but I still knew it beat for beat after seeing it so many times. But my cousins had only seen the sequels, so they were up for watching it. I felt a certain kind of action movie had died in the 80s, but this one still held up as not feeling fake when it got to certain scenes of suspense or wonder. Not even counting how Will Smith seems to make most sci-fi he's in feel credible, but just something about the pacing worked more naturally than a lot of movies today where scenes you're "supposed" to do for effect feel forced.

Big Fish: Unless I'm forgetting something, this is to date Tim Burton's last good movie and it's still a winner. Lots of heart and weirdness and creativity. One fun bit early on helped me teach one cousin something about storytelling. About 10-15 minutes in, during one of the flashbacks/tall tales, the main character finds out how he's going to die, but we don't.

Sweeny Todd was excellent, IMO. To me, that ws his last great movie. Frankenweenie was OK.

I love bad movies, and The Room is like the the Citizen Kane of bad movies. It is only dwarfed by Plan 9 from Outer Space.
I think Birdemic is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Even the Rifftrax version of it can't make it a better film.

I love both those movies so much. Big Fish is far and away my favorite Burton film.

I think Birdemic is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Even the Rifftrax version of it can't make it a better film.
Yeah, even with Rifftrax murdering this movie, I was ready to collapse from suffering. I was still laughing, but I couldn't wait for it to end.

Same happened with Twilight New Moon. Even riffing can't save some movies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just look at the masterful pacing, dialogue, and cinematography of this scene, which is vital to the rest of the movie.

It... it's... it's like.. it's like a 4 year old wrote, scripted, directed and shot that. All at once. It makes Ed Wood look like Spielberg!

I saw The Butler last night.

Massively overrated. Good acting, sloppy directing. Hammy, over-the-top writing. It was merely okay, thanks to the strength of the cast.

I still go back and forth whether Shoot 'Em Up is awesome or horrible or both.
Same, and the same with Crank. I just can't decide.[DOUBLEPOST=1379287709,1379287586][/DOUBLEPOST]Last week, watched Primer. It actually gets time travel appropriately confusing. We had to discuss it at length afterwards and I'm still not sure I understand.

Same, and the same with Crank. I just can't decide.[DOUBLEPOST=1379287709,1379287586][/DOUBLEPOST]Last week, watched Primer. It actually gets time travel appropriately confusing. We had to discuss it at length afterwards and I'm still not sure I understand.
On the one hand, "Jesus christ, he just killed a bunch of dudes with guns and a freaking carrot. LAME" On the other hand, "OMFG, HE JUST KILLED A BUNCH OF DUDES WITH GUNS AND A FREAKING CARRROT, AWESOME!"

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs: My aunts got this for us so we could take my twin cousins to the sequel in a couple weeks.

I liked this movie a lot. I liked it for being funny, for being sweet, especially for being weird. It was even willing to go the creepy route with things a couple times since it could get away with it under the guise of being silly and playing with food. Just a really fun movie.

On the one hand, "Jesus christ, he just killed a bunch of dudes with guns and a freaking carrot. LAME" On the other hand, "OMFG, HE JUST KILLED A BUNCH OF DUDES WITH GUNS AND A FREAKING CARRROT, AWESOME!"
I love shoot em up because it doesn't take itself seriously. It's supposed to be insanely stupid. They use guns in absolutely every ridiculous way you can think of.
Rigging a gun warehouse with gun traps. Killing everyone on a spiral staircase by descending down the middle with an uzi. Having a gun fight while having sex (as in she's riding him AS he's killing people), shooting a playground carousel to turn it so a sniper can't shoot a baby. And my personal "HOLY SHIT THAT'S SO RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME MOMENT": firing bullets from between your fingers by sticking them in a fire.
Oh it's bad. It's so bad. But it's so fucking good because of it.

If you live in a decent size city theres a good chance you can catch Tommy Wiseau at a live screening of "The Room". The travels around and talks about it quite a bit. He pretty much adamantly denies it was meant to be serious but I think everyone knows that thats because it just came out so awful he doesn't want anyone to think that he's just that terrible of a filmmaker.

If you live in a decent size city theres a good chance you can catch Tommy Wiseau at a live screening of "The Room". The travels around and talks about it quite a bit. He pretty much adamantly denies it was meant to be serious but I think everyone knows that thats because it just came out so awful he doesn't want anyone to think that he's just that terrible of a filmmaker.
I kinda want to go to one of these... but at the same time, I don't want to do anything that supports this guy's delusion that he is a successful filmmaker.

I'm pretty sure he's at aware of the fact that it's because his movie is so terrible movie that he's making some cash.

Actors from the movie have outright admitted it was all meant to be serious right from the beginning.
I thought it was a way for Tommy Wiseau to live out his break up fantasy to get back at some ex girlfriend. I mean, Johnny is so obviously meant to be Tommy, who everyone likes and everyone hates Lisa for hurting him because he's so sensitive and oh hai Mark.

This is the End - Couldn't see this film in theaters, so it's nice to finally be able to see it on iTunes. I quite enjoyed it. I think that, if I had seen it in theaters, it probably would have been one of the greatest comedic film experiences for me, seeing how the entire theater would have been going nuts through the majority of it. My wife and I laughed of course. But during the entire "cum on you" conversation I honestly think I should have not been able to stop laughing. Overall I think it's a great film. Well paced. The only part that seems out-of-place is the end bit.
I think the movie suffers when you see inside heaven. The scene seems out of place and really drags down the intensity of the movie. I like the back-street-boys and all, but the entire thing plays out like the ending to a damn Carebears movie.

Star Trek: Into the Dark

A Wraith of Khan reboot, really? That's the best you could do? I kind of dug it until I realized what they were doing. I didn't hate it - just disappointed.

Star Trek: Into the Dark

A Wraith of Khan reboot, really? That's the best you could do? I kind of dug it until I realized what they were doing. I didn't hate it - just disappointed.
I haven't seen it yet, and I wonder how it will effect my viewing that I've had the ever loving fuck spoiled out of it. I basically gave up, being someone who can't see movies until they come out for rental. I can't just not use the internet.

I thought it was a way for Tommy Wiseau to live out his break up fantasy to get back at some ex girlfriend. I mean, Johnny is so obviously meant to be Tommy, who everyone likes and everyone hates Lisa for hurting him because he's so sensitive and oh hai Mark.
And he'll show her! He'll show them all! When he's gone, everyone's going to feel so bad!

From what I've heard, some of the guys in the audience for these screenings are projecting themselves into Johnny as well. With disgusting results.

I haven't seen it yet, and I wonder how it will effect my viewing that I've had the ever loving fuck spoiled out of it. I basically gave up, being someone who can't see movies until they come out for rental. I can't just not use the internet.
Aw man. I spoilered it!! Why did you read it? :(