[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

To be fair, Abrams spoiled it before production was even finished.

Abrams: You guys, you're never going to guess what's going to happen. A character everyone knows will be in it, but you'll never guess whooooo~

Everyone: It's Khan, isn't it?

Abrams: ....... no. What? Why... why would you... hey look over there!

*flees*

Yeah. I am unfortunately an avid follower of all things pop culture online, but cannot watch a movie until it's out on dvd thanks to having kids below the PG-13 threshold. Thus, every damn thing is spoiled eventually. Superman. Trek. All the big Summer stuff.

I think I may have avoided the Iron Man 3 stuff for the most part actually, so if I can make it a few more days, that one might be a win.

Heh, my husband has a ton of vacation days saved up so we started going to 10 am movies for things we really want to see, and those are great because theaters are usually pretty empty.

I stayed spoiler free, but I also avoided all reviews/threads regarding the film. It should still be entertaining. It's not like there's a 'twist' in the end.

The Decoy Bride - Your standard romcom featuring David Tennant. It is what it is, and is enjoyable enough, improved by the fact that it has David Tennant. I <3 David Tennant.

Emperor's New Groove - Holds up fairly well. Not as funny as I used to think it was (I was also in middle school, so go figure), nor the most amazing Disney movie, but a strong cast (even David Spade is not "punch him in the face" annoying), and some interesting bits of animation and style. Polished.

I read a bit about the Emperor's New Groove and it was an extremely troubled production, with the entire storyline changing at the last minute. Originally Izma was supposed to be obsessed with her youth and was striking a deal with some evil moon god that if she stays young forever, she will free him from imprisonment.

Unfortunately, this change in the story means that we lost one of the best Disney villain songs ever.

I read a bit about the Emperor's New Groove and it was an extremely troubled production, with the entire storyline changing at the last minute. Originally Izma was supposed to be obsessed with her youth and was striking a deal with some evil moon god that if she stays young forever, she will free him from imprisonment.

Unfortunately, this change in the story means that we lost one of the best Disney villain songs ever.

Holy shit, that's great. I like the story in Emperor, but that is an awesome song.

There is a great documentary on the troubles it had in production, especially the music and how they screwed over Sting, called "Empire of the Sun". Every so often it finds its way online, but it eventually always gets removed by Disney.

My wife and I finally watched Dark Shadows.

About twenty minutes in I forgot I was watching what RedBox called a "Comedy". Once Dep showed up I had a few laughs due to the fish out of water wackiness, before it seemed to sink back into horrible melodrama for nearly the rest of the movie.

I understand it was made after a soap opera, but I have seen more gags in some dramas then this supposed "Comedy".

My mom is maybe the world's biggest fan (or one of them) of the original show (my brothers and I got her the gigabox set and no one heard from her for weeks) and she LOATHED the movie. She told me it definitely wasn't for her. So, if it wasn't for fans of the original series, who was it for? Then I looked at it's domestic gross and realized, it wasn't for anyone.

My mom is maybe the world's biggest fan (or one of them) of the original show (my brothers and I got her the gigabox set and no one heard from her for weeks) and she LOATHED the movie. She told me it definitely wasn't for her. So, if it wasn't for fans of the original series, who was it for? Then I looked at it's domestic gross and realized, it wasn't for anyone.
It was an overseas success, coming second only to the Avengers during its run.

But that doesn't change the fact that it was awful.

Smokin' Aces: Been a while and I thought I'd pop it in for my wife who's never seen it. Still holds up as a fun movie. I remember it being billed as a dark comedy, when it's really a lot more brutal. Kinda like how Tarantino handles comedy. I really enjoy Ryan Reynolds in this film. He's a great actor. It's sad to see him embarrass himself in Green Lantern.

Yeah. I am unfortunately an avid follower of all things pop culture online, but cannot watch a movie until it's out on dvd thanks to having kids below the PG-13 threshold. Thus, every damn thing is spoiled eventually. Superman. Trek. All the big Summer stuff.

I think I may have avoided the Iron Man 3 stuff for the most part actually, so if I can make it a few more days, that one might be a win.
Pepper dies at the end, it's really sad, but not as sad as when you find out that Rhodie is really the Mandarin and Tony has been brainwashed by the Chitauri through the whole movie.

From Dusk Till Dawn
I don't think I expected it to be quite as campy as it was. I'm not 100% certain if I enjoyed it or not? I dunno. I think I did.

Raising Arizona

Been meaning to watch this for a long time. Finally got around to it yesterday. It was excellent

From Dusk Till Dawn
I don't think I expected it to be quite as campy as it was. I'm not 100% certain if I enjoyed it or not? I dunno. I think I did.

Raising Arizona

Been meaning to watch this for a long time. Finally got around to it yesterday. It was excellent
I love From Dusk Till Dawn. It has the grindhouse feel to it that just scratches that exploitation movie itch.

Pepper dies at the end, it's really sad, but not as sad as when you find out that Rhodie is really the Mandarin and Tony has been brainwashed by the Chitauri through the whole movie.
Was it the Chitauri brainwashing him? I thought it was deliberately left ambiguous, but mainly hinting that the one responsible for Tony's actions was actually

there isn't actually a spoiler in here, I'm just being an ass. :D

Return of the Living Dead: ...I thought this was supposed to be a horror-comedy. I was horrified for almost the entire running time--no laughs.

Don't get me wrong, it was great. But I'm gonna have fucking nightmares. A lot of great effects, which I expected, and some intimidating cinematography that I'm not used to anymore since everyone seems to have given up on using film.

Return of the Living Dead: ...I thought this was supposed to be a horror-comedy. I was horrified for almost the entire running time--no laughs.

Don't get me wrong, it was great. But I'm gonna have fucking nightmares. A lot of great effects, which I expected, and some intimidating cinematography that I'm not used to anymore since everyone seems to have given up on using film.
How did you not find this funny? It's absolutely hilarious. The guys who work at the warehouse and the owner of the mortuary have the best lines!

Burt Wilson: I thought you said if we destroyed the brain, it'd die!
Frank: It worked in the movie!
Burt Wilson: Well, it ain't working now, Frank!
Freddy: You mean the movie lied?!

Ernie Kaltenbrunner: What the hell are in those bags?
Burt Wilson: Uh... rabid weasels.
Ernie Kaltenbrunner: What? What the hell are you doing with a bunch of rabid weasels?
Burt Wilson: That's what I was trying to explain to you here, Ernie. They came in as part of a shipment. Of course, they weren't supposed to be rabid.

Burt Wilson: One question, Frank: this guy screaming in here... you're sure he's a dead cadaver?
Frank: Let's open the door and find out!
Burt Wilson: [hesitates] Uh... no, that's allright Frank, I'll take your word for that.

Clu Galager played that role straight. Those lines are funnier written down; for me watching it just came off as his character, and like the other characters, he was in a fucked up situation that kept getting more fucked up. That movie was scary. I feel like that it was trying to be funny just made it scarier.

Ginger Snaps: This was good too.

Man, I need to watch Ginger Snaps.
Yeah, I'd been putting it off for years because my wife told me it sucked (even though a bunch of people online told me it was good). She was out and it was on Amazon Prime, so figured I'd give it a go. Glad I did. I find it's hard to do a werewolf movie just right, but this one had a great angle and stayed interesting.

Been a while since I've seen Ginger Snaps. I remember it being pretty decent.
I also heard Dog Soldiers is a good one too.

As people can probably tell from my villain song thread, I've been watching a lot of Disney lately. Mostly because I discovered they're all on Netflix.

There's going to be a lot of text after this. Feel free to click back to the funny pictures thread now.

When I was a kid, my absolute favorite Disney movies were Aladdin and The Lion King. How do they hold up as an adult? More on that in a minute.

First, I want to talk about The Hunchback of Notre Dame. This wasn't a favorite of mine as a kid. It came out after Pocahontas, and even as a kid I was able to tell that Pocahontas was dull and boring. So maybe I was just over Disney movies at that point and wasn't willing to give it a chance. I also remember wearing out a VHS tape of The Mask with Jim Carry, so, you know... take that for what you will.

As an adult, though, The Hunchback of Notre Dame just might be my new favorite Disney movie. Yes, to anyone that's read Victor Hugo's novel, the idea that Disney would want to make a 'Disney' version of the story may seem crazy, but for the constraints they had to follow to Disney it up, I think they did a pretty good job. It's extremely unique as far as Disney movies go, with a much darker and more adult theme throughout. Yes, it has those annoying gargoyles, one of which sounds like George Costanza, but they aren't nearly as prominent as I remembered as a kid. They're restricted to only a few scenes, and the fact that they're always interrupted by someone walking in (and smash-cutting to a scene that shows that what is really happening is wildly different from what is portrayed) means that these only friends of Quasimodo are probably completely imaginary, which makes the scenes even with them kinda tragic. Yes, I know the climax of the movie shows them actually affecting the real world and fighting off the guards, but that could all have easily been in Quasimodo's imagination too, as that section is told mainly through his point of view.

The music is also spectacular. The constant reuse of the Bells of Notre Dame theme (especially in the amazing song Hellfire, which I linked to in the villains thread) gives the soundtrack a constant, epic feel. The catholic chants also help in that. My personal feelings on real religion aside, the gothic imagery of old churches, saint statues, and latin chanting all make for spectacular sets and stories.

Beauty and the Beast

I didn't like this movie as a kid either. It was a Disney princess movie fairy tale, that's been done to death! Aladdin has pop culture references (more on that later,) what does BatB have?

Well, it's really, really, really well done. As someone who has grown up and actually grown to appreciate cinematography and the way that movies are framed and presented, there's nothing in BatB that isn't beautiful. Unlike Ariel who's basically a dumb teenaged girl that's in love with the idea of being in love (can you tell I don't like The Little Mermaid?) Belle is an actual normal woman who is smart, thoughtful, and searching for something more in life. Also unique for Disney romances is that she doesn't meet the hero of the story and fall in love over the course of an afternoon. The romance between Belle and the Beast evolves over time, and the two characters have actual chemistry with each other. You feel for their romance because the movie takes the time to earn it, and it seems all the more natural and touching because of it. You fall in love with both of these characters.

The music is amazing, the characters are great, even the villain isn't really a bad guy if you think about it. This movie has so much goddamn heart and soul that you can't help but love it.

The only downer is that the Beast becomes a lot less interesting when the curse is broken and he turns into a blonde ponce. I think even Belle might have thought "Ehh... maybe we can change you back. I've got a thing for furries..."

Hercules

No... just no. Moving on.

Aladdin

My all time favorite Disney movie as a kid. How does it hold up as an adult? Eh...

The animation and character design is still great. Jasmine and Aladdin both have very striking visual designs and costumes that are extremely iconic and memorable. Bonus: None of the animal sidekicks except one talk. Minus: The one that talks is Gilbert Gottfried. The only real problem with this movie is the stream of consciousness pop culture reference salad that comes from Robin Williams as the Genie. They really date the movie, and I feel like they detract from the overall story. It's less classic Disney and more Shrek. I guess technically you should say Shrek was copying Aladdin, but you're not the one writing this review.

The Lion King

The most successful adaptation of Hamlet ever. This was also a favorite of mine as a kid, so how does it hold up now that I'm an adult? Still good... but not as good as I remember. Again, the character design is still great, the movie looks bold and colorful, and I especially like the use of greens for Scar's scenes and the landscape when he takes over. But the songs are all kinda meh, outside of Be Prepared. Hakuna Matata just gets annoying, and even though I recently rewatched this, I honestly can't name one other song that isn't Circle of Life. Were there others? I feel like there have to have been...

The start and the end still hold up well, I just feel like the middle lost some of its charm as an adult. It's still a good movie, just maybe not the greatest of all time. Mufasa's death can still make me cry though... goddamn you Disney.

Hunchback of Notre Dame has been my favorite Disney movie ever since I watched it and it got to the Hellfire scene. It's just amazing.

RIP Tony Jay :(