[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Boondock Saints II

I loved the first one, so the other my friends and I finally watched the second one, well I finally watched it. They had been telling me to watch it for...MONTHS. I really don't want to give a 'review', just say that I adored this movie. It makes me laugh, especially how much they do act like siblings.

That is all.

Saw OZ.

Probably the second best use of 3D I've ever seen. The movie was stunning thats for sure.

Acting and story? C-
No depth, no real character development. Disappointing.

It was fun and the second half was far better than the first but overall it was a 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Boondock Saints II

I loved the first one, so the other my friends and I finally watched the second one, well I finally watched it. They had been telling me to watch it for...MONTHS. I really don't want to give a 'review', just say that I adored this movie. It makes me laugh, especially how much they do act like siblings.

That is all.
Boondock Saints was definitely one of those movies I loved as an aimless young man of 16 that is best viewed today through rose coloured glasses.

fade

Staff member
The Croods

I got to go to a free screening of The Croods. Let me say this: I had NO desire to see this movie. It frankly looked terrible on the trailers. However, it's not bad. I recommend it as a family movie. It's kind of a formulaic plot, but there are some things that break the usual mold. For one, the female protagonist is strong and independent, and not a helpless princess or a brainy sidekick. The jokes are actually funny, and some of the visuals are quite well done. The 3D was good without resorting to hokey jam-something-into-your-face tricks. I didn't realize until the end that one of the writers was John Cleese.

Seriously. I watched it recently and... I had... I just... I question my judgement as a youth more and more.
Yeah... I really loved the movie when I was younger, back in my 20-something years, but watching it again, especially after seeing the massive pile of crap that they called a sequel, just leaves me scratching my head wondering what the hell I was thinking. Of course, the same can be said for a lot of the movies I liked back then; Armageddon, Varsity Blues, The Faculty, and apparently a butt-load of movies that I loved back then that were so bad that I can't even remember them now.

Yeah... I really loved the movie when I was younger, back in my 20-something years, but watching it again, especially after seeing the massive pile of crap that they called a sequel, just leaves me scratching my head wondering what the hell I was thinking. Of course, the same can be said for a lot of the movies I liked back then; Armageddon, Varsity Blues, The Faculty, and apparently a butt-load of movies that I loved back then that were so bad that I can't even remember them now.
Oh well. I made bigger mistakes. I was a libertarian for a while. So, I figure my poor taste in films is lesser sin of youth.

figmentPez

Staff member
I keep forgetting to mention that I saw Quartet, and it was excellent. The pacing was phenomenal, and the characters were really charming, with a lot of depth. I highly recommend it.

Man, you guys are so harsh when it comes to films. Geez. Well, more likely, you all just hate my taste in movies.

Good thing I didn't say it was one of my favorite films Charlie, you don't have to regard me as a total idiot just yet.

fade

Staff member
I don't hold boondock saints against anyone, but the thing that I didn't like about it was that it was a wannabe. It thought it was one the the ultraviolent story films of the same time period, only they forgot to give it characters and a plot.

Went and saw Oz, the great and powerful. Visually, it was a triumph, everything else... meh. The feminist side of me also balked at the idea of the fact that all the witches of Oz needed was a good deep dicking.

I saw Boondock Saints and thought it was a blast, but everyone here's been badmouthing it in the years since then and I wonder how I'd see it if I watched it again.

I personally still like it, you might too. I'm not interested in letting others' opinions sully something that I enjoy, so I'm going to keep watching it. Just not post about it here. ;)

I wasn't shitting on you for liking it, just giving my opinion of the movie. I know others after me may (Charlie) have been, but just know I was not.

I phrased that wrong - I more meant that you shouldn't let me stop you from posting what dumb movies you like. I'm sure the same number of people think I'm an idiot for liking "The Tree of Life"

Went and saw Oz, the great and powerful. Visually, it was a triumph, everything else... meh. The feminist side of me also balked at the idea of the fact that all the witches of Oz needed was a good deep dicking.
I agree! I thought it was beautiful, but the acting and the story were flat. I also was annoyed by the witches, but I owned it up to my love of Wicked.

fade

Staff member
Silver Linings Playbook

Nice little story. Good commentary on how we're all a little crazy--though it could've done it a little more subtlely. It was kind of like the JLA of mental problems. The romance was good, and Jennifer Lawrence's character Tiffany wasn't weak or needy--at least not anymore than anyone else. At first, I was worried it was going to be a typical MPDG flick, but it subverted that well. The acting was good. I find myself suddenly liking Bradley Cooper a lot more. I actually thought DeNiro was one of the weakest in the film, but still not bad. It's a romance, so you know the ending without needing a spoiler alert, but they came to it nicely.

I didn't even see Babymaker, I was pretty sad about Slammin' Slamon being so bad compared to Super Troopers. I still need to see Club Dread, though.