[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: I just don't get it.

How can people dislike this movie?

(Yeah, I know, it's a niche film and I'm lucky to be in the niche, but unlike a lot of movies I like that aren't popular, I can't see where others are coming from. I showed this to friends of mine and they just stared blank-faced through the whole thing. I know these people like family. This should have clicked with them. I just don't get it.

This is the somethingth time watching it for me. My wife and I watched it with my little cousins tonight and they loved it.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: I just don't get it.

How can people dislike this movie?

(Yeah, I know, it's a niche film and I'm lucky to be in the niche, but unlike a lot of movies I like that aren't popular, I can't see where others are coming from. I showed this to friends of mine and they just stared blank-faced through the whole thing. I know these people like family. This should have clicked with them. I just don't get it.

This is the somethingth time watching it for me. My wife and I watched it with my little cousins tonight and they loved it.
Have you read the comic? I have, hell I preordered volume six! Now all I need to do is buy all the color versions which are totally different!

Seriously though, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that they didn't screw that movie up. One of the few films based on an independent comic that aren't awful! Talkin' bout you Tank Girl.

Dave

Staff member
I saw "Seven Psychopaths" over the weekend. I know someone watched it and said something on page 117, but I am adding this because I also just watched it. I love it! Of course, I also now love "In Bruges", even though I didn't at first. I'm in utter awe of Christopher Walken. There were two scenes that had me speechless. The first was when he "confronted" Woody Harrelson at the hospital. The second was when he "confronted" Sam Rockwell in the desert. Powerful, powerful and emotional scenes...and Walken hardly says a word in either.

I saw "Seven Psychopaths" over the weekend. I know someone watched it and said something on page 117, but I am adding this because I also just watched it. I love it! Of course, I also now love "In Bruges", even though I didn't at first. I'm in utter awe of Christopher Walken. There were two scenes that had me speechless. The first was when he "confronted" Woody Harrelson at the hospital. The second was when he "confronted" Sam Rockwell in the desert. Powerful, powerful and emotional scenes...and Walken hardly says a word in either.
Yeah, I liked it as well (was probably me that mentioned it). It's falsely advertised as a straight up comedy, which it is definitely not. Agreed on Walken, also. He and Rockwell were fantastic.

I watched the last 30 minutes of Mr Deeds Goes to Town. I have not laughed that much at a movie in a very long time. It is coming up on my DVR soon, so I am looking forward to seeing this whole movie again.

Dave

Staff member
I watched the last 30 minutes of Mr Deeds Goes to Town. I have not laughed that much at a movie in a very long time. It is coming up on my DVR soon, so I am looking forward to seeing this whole movie again.
I prefer the Adam Sandler remake.

Just kidding. That movie was HORRIBLE!

Dave

Staff member
I'm not going to defend the movie as a whole at all (what the fuck were you doing Winona Ryder), but John Turturro was incredibly funny in it.
Very sneaky, sir.

Yeah, but even his part was stupid. Deeds had already given the money away to the United Negro College Fund so either there was no money left to give or there was going to be a ton of lawsuits.

I love that movie, but it is stupid as hell and the female lead's grand gesture at the end confuses. "You asked me who I really was, so I did looked into it myself" Hold on now. Are you saying this highly payed New York reporter...was an amnesiac?! That is way more interesting than anything that the film has shown so far!

Took a date to see Mama.

Uhhh, the first 2/3's were a really fantastic, unsettling horror movie. The last 1/3 was like this almost Tim Burton-esque dark fantasy. They were two different movies. It had some other quirks like random shifting protagonists and unnecessary characters (Jaime Lannister was almost entirely unneeded). With some tweaks this could have been one of the best supernatural horror movies ever, but alas, it's only ok with a fucking bonkers ending.

My brother and I have been working our way through random horror movies on Netflix. There's an offshoot movie of Ringu that's pretty decent, I think it's called Black Ghost/White Ghost. Two side-stories based around more of those vengeance ghosts. Grave Encounters 1 and 2 are okay, though honestly we found ourselves laughing at shitty gfx more than anything. A couple decent spooks, but mostly relies on jump-scares as the unsettling moments don't have enough of a budget.

My brother and I have been working our way through random horror movies on Netflix. There's an offshoot movie of Ringu that's pretty decent, I think it's called Black Ghost/White Ghost. Two side-stories based around more of those vengeance ghosts. Grave Encounters 1 and 2 are okay, though honestly we found ourselves laughing at shitty gfx more than anything. A couple decent spooks, but mostly relies on jump-scares as the unsettling moments don't have enough of a budget.
Can I make some recommendations if you haven't seen a few of these?
I'll try and recommend movies most people haven't heard about but were pretty amazing:

Session 9: Cleaning/refurbishing crew wins a bid to update and save an asylum that's been abandonded. Some cliche moments (Patients died there etc) but overall really well done. Stars David Caruso outside of being a cop. Worth the watch for him alone
Dead Girl: Two teenagers go into an abandonded factory and find in the bowels of this facility a chained up girl who's neither dead or alive. There's some gross out moments (think of what teenage boys may do with a chained up woman, but overall it was pretty solid.
Zombies of Mass Destruction: Medium production values but a zombie story worth watching. Some over the top cliche characters (Preacher tries to convert gays with Clockwork Orange style chair torture) but the zombies are really well done. Half comedy half horror.
Doghouse: Think Shaun of the Dead set in England with a bunch of guys stuck in a rural village of female zombies. Really fun flick.
The Horde: Cops head to a beat-down building to revenge kill the mobsters living there that killed their fellow cop. Get caught in the middle of the zombie apocalypse and have to work together to escape. Alot of great characters and tension in this one.
Tucker and Dale vs Evil - This is 10/10, 5 star horror fan movie. Just watch it. Seriously, just do it. If you need more motivation than that, it stars Alan Tudyk.

I could name about another 20-30 solid films currently available to watch if you like these.

Tucker and Dale is fantastic, watched it a couple months ago. I think I've seen part of Session 9, pretty sure my brother's seen it. I'll look into Dead Girl, that sounds kind of interesting.

Doomsday Book: A Korean anthology movie with three films that share the theme of "the end of the world." Each are about 30 minutes long. They are...

A Brave New World - An apple left to rot by a disgusting family leads to a chain of events that causes a zombie outbreak in Seoul. This isn't really all that good, but has a few funny moments like a slaughterhouse worker expending a lot of effort to kill a zombie cow.

The Heavenly Creature - A highly intelligent robot working in a Buddhist Temple achieves enlightenment and the monks try to see if he's Buddha. Unfortunately, the company that made him decides he and all like him are a threat to mankind. Has a few really good moments about Buddhist philosophy, but also has a few confusing parts about the engineer who was sent to fix the robot. Still, it's good on the whole.

Happy Birthday - A little girl tries to replace a broken 8 Ball for her father and accidentally orders one 10km big from aliens. It arrives two years later and is set to collide with the Earth. This is downright funny and easily the best of three.

Dave

Staff member
I watched Amazing Spider-Man last night in 3D. I think it was better than the Raimi version of the origin story, but I couldn't get over how unnecessary the whole "Uncle Ben dies" scenes were this time.

Can I make some recommendations if you haven't seen a few of these?
I'll try and recommend movies most people haven't heard about but were pretty amazing:

Session 9: Cleaning/refurbishing crew wins a bid to update and save an asylum that's been abandonded. Some cliche moments (Patients died there etc) but overall really well done. Stars David Caruso outside of being a cop. Worth the watch for him alone
Dead Girl: Two teenagers go into an abandonded factory and find in the bowels of this facility a chained up girl who's neither dead or alive. There's some gross out moments (think of what teenage boys may do with a chained up woman, but overall it was pretty solid.
Zombies of Mass Destruction: Medium production values but a zombie story worth watching. Some over the top cliche characters (Preacher tries to convert gays with Clockwork Orange style chair torture) but the zombies are really well done. Half comedy half horror.
Doghouse: Think Shaun of the Dead set in England with a bunch of guys stuck in a rural village of female zombies. Really fun flick.
The Horde: Cops head to a beat-down building to revenge kill the mobsters living there that killed their fellow cop. Get caught in the middle of the zombie apocalypse and have to work together to escape. Alot of great characters and tension in this one.
Tucker and Dale vs Evil - This is 10/10, 5 star horror fan movie. Just watch it. Seriously, just do it. If you need more motivation than that, it stars Alan Tudyk.

I could name about another 20-30 solid films currently available to watch if you like these.
Session 9 is surprisingly good, Dead Girl isn't half bad for what it is (although the camera work and overall look of the film is cheap but whatareyagonnado?), Tucker and Dale is awesome. I think I'm gonna watch the Horde this weekend, looks very good.

One thing though:
Doghouse: Think Shaun of the Dead set in England
shaun-of-the-dead-2004-20-g.jpeg

Session 9 is surprisingly good, Dead Girl isn't half bad for what it is (although the camera work and overall look of the film is cheap but whatareyagonnado?), Tucker and Dale is awesome. I think I'm gonna watch the Horde this weekend, looks very good.

One thing though:

Yeah I screwed that up on the Shaun of the Dead reference, I meant to say Shaun of the Dead set in Scottland. All in all though, a solid -zombie- film with a great cast with great chemistry and plenty of horror/comedy.

Seriously guys, organic web-shooters for spiderman make a whole lot more sense for a guy who gets the powers of a spider than not having it.

Seriously guys, organic web-shooters for spiderman make a whole lot more sense for a guy who gets the powers of a spider than not having it.
Going by that same reasoning, he would be shooting web out of his ass. I just like the techno shooters because of fitting in with the comic universe origin.