[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Silent Hill Revelations.

Awful fucking movie.

Really awful.

Dreadfully awful.

Not entertainingly awful.

I saw it for free and I wanted a full refund of my time and life.

Here's a blurb from one of it's only two positive reviews from Rotten Tomatoes:

As far as sub-literate, incomprehensible pieces of garbage are concerned, 'Silent Hill: Revelation 3D' is one of the year's best.
HIGH PRAISE!

Cloud Atlas

Really good. The Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer have pulled off a film that, with its six stories combined, tells the eternal conflict of humanity's selfishness and selflessness. It teeters on pretentious at points in hammering its point home a little too hard, but it manages to keep itself upright for the most part. Also, while the make-up had not worked for a few characters, it is damn good on the whole. I could see this getting best make-up at the Oscars.

Cloud Atlas

Really good. The Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer have pulled off a film that, with its six stories combined, tells the eternal conflict of humanity's selfishness and selflessness. It teeters on pretentious at points in hammering its point home a little too hard, but it manages to keep itself upright for the most part. Also, while the make-up had not worked for a few characters, it is damn good on the whole. I could see this getting best make-up at the Oscars.
it would be a complete travesty if they won an Oscar for the blatant and offensive yellow face in this movie

Cloud Atlas

So, um, yeah, holy shit. Anyone who supports equality of any kind (race, gender, sexuality) needs to see this. It's pretty heady, a little hard to follow at first due to the SIX different timelines/stories, but it all comes together quickly and you'll find yourself engaged with every single story. I don't understand the whole "white actors playing Asians" argument because there are white actors playing Asians, Asian actors playing whites, black actors playing whites, whites playing blacks, men playing women, women playing men, etc. Which is the WHOLE POINT OF THE MOVIE.

Argo

It was enjoyable, I'll say that but holy fuck is this shit skewed as fuck historically. From the over dramatized (and I'll admit thrilling escape) to the really downplayed Canadian involvement in everything (being portrayed as dismayed innkeepers), which is not surprising given that's generally how US productions do historical dramas. It was wonderfully thrilling and was a very fun movie but holy shit do not take it as a history lesson.

The Coen Brothers admit that it was not really based on a true story.

If anyone takes a Hollywood movie as fact, they really need their perceptions of reality checked.

I didn't take it as reality. My concern is a lot of folks seem to and the movie does nothing to dissuade that it's a very fictionalized version of what happened. Hell, after the end of the movie it goes on a lengthy roll of what happened to the real folks behind the whole thing showing off real pictures of a lot of the events contrasting against stills from the movie.

Stop Making Sense is probably the greatest movie of all time

also i'm incredibly drunk and using probably my favorite movie ever to keep me from getting depressed since I have mental problems

I would have posted a thread but I didn't.

If you haven't seen Stop Making Sense I feel sorry for you, it is the purest expression of happiness and joy and the magic of making music that exists

Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein - an absolutely great movie, and one of the real (few) perks of the old studio system.

Halloween night, watched
The Shining
First of all, first Kubrick film I've seen in entirety. Got that out of the way.
Second, AWESOME. Genuinely creepy the whole way through. Gave me a similar mental and emotional reaction as Black Swan. I'd be shocked if Arnofsky didn't consider Kubrick to be a major influence.

Cajungal

Staff member
I feel the same way about that one! I've seen it a dozen times, and it always gives me the chills. The one thought I have about it is that I agree with Stephen King: There were probably better actors to play a guy slowly descending into madness. Jack Nicholson already seemed a bit unhinged just because of how he is. He's still excellent, but I'm curious about what might have happened if a more "average" guy had been cast.

I feel the same way about that one! I've seen it a dozen times, and it always gives me the chills. The one thought I have about it is that I agree with Stephen King: There were probably better actors to play a guy slowly descending into madness. Jack Nicholson already seemed a bit unhinged just because of how he is. He's still excellent, but I'm curious about what might have happened if a more "average" guy had been cast.
Regrettably, not very well...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118460/

A local theater, old place, totally restored, one giant screen, is playing the Shining at midnight tonight. I'm gonna be there :)
One of my favorite films.