Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

This is the far more disgusting ruling. Thankfully the specific person in the case got her abortion already, but many others will be hurt by this.

(cakes not abortions)
So what I get from this is that the actual discrimination wasn't really ruled on, so much as the Colorado Civil Rights Commision being slapped down for ruling against the baker specifically because of his religion and not the contents of the argument. (I actually got this from people who know law who read it, I can't read legal documents without falling asleep :p)

Why the hell isn't this guy afraid for his life, like holy shit????
Remember the discussion we had just after inauguration about how now that the Trumpkins are in power, the "secret" conservatives/racists have decided it's ok to let their flags fly out in the open for all to see? I guess some of the pedophiles are starting to feel that way, too.

--Patrick

Apparently two Democrat senators have been denied entry to detention centers holding children for a tour that had been set up the week before.

One had the police called on him after asking to speak to the manager.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/390499-dem-senator-barred-entry-to-immigration-detention-facility

Hashtag destroy ICE
I don't even really know that I can say 'I wish I was surprised by this type of behavior from these fuckers,' anymore. ICE makes my blood boil.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

A couple of reasons could be:
Illegal immigrants are 47% less likely to be incarcerated than native-born Americans.
In a system that is tough on illegal immigration, illegal immigrants have an incentive to stay low and avoid any attention by the authorities.
Legal immigrants are 78% less likely to be incarcerated than natives.
Legal immigrants were vetted before being allowed to stay. Native-born Americans just happened to pop out of the right person's vagina.

Dave

Staff member
Fuck ICE but fuck that idiot - as DA said - that felt he had to get the documentation. First, he has NO RIGHT to ask anyone for papers. Second, HE should have been arrested for illegal detention since he held the delivery driver without cause.

You just KNOW this asshat is congratulating himself on a job well done. I also guarantee he's a complete fucking dick and everyone in his unit hates his ass.

Dave

Staff member
I know it doesn't mean much but I hope that pizza place stops delivering to the base.
You know, I thought about that as well, but pizza joints by a military base makes a lot of their revenue from that area. Also, why punish everyone from this one guy?

The only way this would be effective would be to have ALL places stop delivering to the base in protest.

Yeah true. It's a tough situation for the pizza place to be in. Wish there was some way those pieces of trash would face consequences, but I guess that's the case for a lot of things.

Fuck ICE but fuck that idiot - as DA said - that felt he had to get the documentation. First, he has NO RIGHT to ask anyone for papers.
I don't know how things work in your neck of the woods, but is it really the case that a guard at the entrance to a military base has no right to ask for ID from a person who wants to get in? Or is this more of a 'no right to ask for documents of immigration status' thing?

Dave

Staff member
It wasn't the guard. It was one of the dudes ordering pizza. I'd completely understand if it was a gate guard - that's their job.

Now, if it turns out what I'd heard is incorrect and it WAS a gate guard, then he did exactly what he was supposed to be doing.

edit: You might be right, @TommiR . It looks like this was a gate situation. He tried to gain access without documentation. Well that changes everything in my mind. This guy was a dumbass for trying. Hell, *I* can't get on a base and I'm a fucking vet!

GasBandit

Staff member
As I understand it, only immigration agents are supposed to be able to act on ICE warrants (since they aren't issues by judges, but by immigration officers). I would think that would not have been within the purview of even the gate guard, since he's not part of a federal immigration enforcement agency. ICE warrants don't even let agents enter private spaces/homes in the course of their execution - a judge has to OK that sort of thing.

Dave

Staff member
Gate guards can hold anyone they want until law enforcement gets there. Is your car not licensed correctly? Prepare to be detained until the cops get there. Illegal immigrant? Take a seat until someone gets there. And since ICE are the ones called, that's who showed up. This is more a story of a dumbass than anything nefarious by the military base personnel. Yes, I've done a complete 180 on this one.

Dave

Staff member
But they won't do that. Gate guards will hold your ass. It's their job. I still think ICE is a cancer and they should be wearing brown coats with insignias on them, but the guards and base did nothing wrong.

Dave

Staff member
Discretion at the gate is not a thing. You don't know who is coming in, who is driving by. There are no friends while you are on gate duty. The soldier did exactly the right thing.

Dave

Staff member
But that's not the way that guarding the gate at a military installation works. Go ahead, try it. Walk up to a gate without documentation and try and get in. I'll wait the appropriate time for you to get out of the locked holding cell.

Dude, I know where you are coming from. You know I lean pretty far left. But I also know military stuff that you seem to not WANT to understand or acknowledge. They will not just turn someone away that is illegal. They will detain as that is their job. Which they did. Correctly.

figmentPez

Staff member
edit: You might be right, @TommiR . It looks like this was a gate situation. He tried to gain access without documentation. Well that changes everything in my mind. This guy was a dumbass for trying. Hell, *I* can't get on a base and I'm a fucking vet!
According to NBC "Villavicencio had delivered pizza from Queens to the base at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, before, presenting his New York City identification card and had never had an issue. "

So, yeah, gate guard was doing his job, but apparently other gate guards did the job in a different way.

Dave

Staff member
According to NBC "Villavicencio had delivered pizza from Queens to the base at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, before, presenting his New York City identification card and had never had an issue. "

So, yeah, gate guard was doing his job, but apparently other gate guards did the job in a different way.
Then the other guards were being lazy pieces of shit and NOT doing their jobs. Besides, the flag might not have been on his identification prior to this. We just don't know.

You already called ICE Nazis. You're fine with handing someone off to them?
The guard did not necessarily know where the dude was going to be handed off to. He got a flag on the name so he detained. Like he was supposed to.

I fail to see how this is so damned hard to understand. The people at the base are protecting military installations. These places are ALL targets by foreign entities. So the security on them are pretty good. This guy tried to circumvent security despite his status and he got dinged. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Now his wife & kids will pay the price. Had he waited until he got that green card then I'd be yelling with you, but no. He has my sympathy for what he's going through, but it's his own damned fault.

Call me a traitor to the cause, but I'm with Dave on this one. I'm not even going to go into my whole straw-man, slippery-slope, hypothetical bullshit scenario about where this could have gone had this guy been anything more than just an undocumented pizza delivery guy trying to drop off a pie at a base. It just isn't necessary. I feel sorry for the people and the families caught up in the consequences of this situation - and I certainly don't think he should have been turned over to the abusive, tortuous, law-avoiding shit-hole that ICE is - but if there is even the least little hint of anything questionable being in your background, you stay the hell away from military bases ever since 9/11. It doesn't matter what color your skin, or where you came from, or who the president is at the time, or what's going on across Europe with populist governments coming into favor again. Stay away from military bases. But, my issue with his being handed over to ICE lies only in the fact that ICE should be shut down for what it is, should never have been allowed to become what it is, and everyone involved in it should be subject to their own version of the Nuremberg trials, not with the soldier at the gate. Not for one occurrence of turning someone over to proper (admittedly corrupt, disgusting) authorities. I can't judge an entire man's life an philosophy from one action. I wouldn't even say I'm more than passingly familiar with anyone here's political beliefs and I've known most of you for over a decade.

Now his wife & kids will pay the price. Had he waited until he got that green card then I'd be yelling with you, but no. He has my sympathy for what he's going through, but it's his own damned fault.
Wait, was he in the process of getting a green card?

And, if his wife has citizenship, should he be getting it too?

You guys have some nonsensical rules, i swear.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait, was he in the process of getting a green card?

And, if his wife has citizenship, should he be getting it too?
Technically, just about every illegal is "in the process." Spousal citizenship gets you on the fast track, but doesn't mean automatic citizenship/work permits.

You guys have some nonsensical rules, i swear.
Well, you're not wrong. This is true not just in this case but pervasively in all levels of our government.