Stuff White People Like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

Well, he did say that these "we" - whoever the hell they may be, and in Chaz's case I'd rather not know - make Belgian beers better than the Belgians. Which would imply that there is a certain quality in those beers that makes them Belgian even if they are not made by Belgians. Quality... or style, if you will.
Style.

Beer, beer for all P'burg High
You bring the whiskey, I'll bring the wine
Send a freshman out for gin
Don't a sober sophomore in
We never stagger, We never fall
We sober up on good alcohol
So spread some cheer and pass the beer
for the alkies of P'burg High!

B

Biardo

Eh, I wasn't trying to pick a fight. Sorry if I offended someone.
hey no problem, I wasn't trying to pick a fight either, nor was I trying to claim that we (Belgians) make the best beer in the world (although I would argue that we make the best Belgian Style beer in the world)
I was just commenting on Kriskens :
the craft brew scene is better in the U.S. than it is in the rest of the world.

It is possible you guys have a really good craft brew scene but I wouldn't want to call it better than the rest of the world

C

Chazwozel

Eh, I wasn't trying to pick a fight. Sorry if I offended someone.
hey no problem, I wasn't trying to pick a fight either, nor was I trying to claim that we (Belgians) make the best beer in the world (although I would argue that we make the best Belgian Style beer in the world)
I was just commenting on Kriskens :
the craft brew scene is better in the U.S. than it is in the rest of the world.

It is possible you guys have a really good craft brew scene but I wouldn't want to call it better than the rest of the world[/QUOTE]

Yes, it really is.

C

Chazwozel

okay, I'll bite, why?

For every one microbrew in Belgium we have about 100 (and good ones). And that's hardly an exaggeration. I have no doubt that Belgium cranks out good beer, but on a whole the U.S. craft brew is huge. The probability that the U.S. microbreweries beat out Belgian microbreweries favors the U.S. on sheer number. This isn't the 1950's-1980's. U.S. craftbeers are definitely the best in the world right now.

B

Biardo

yeah ok but we have like 8700 different beers (according to wikipedia) on a population of 10 million plus the fact some American brewers have to market their beer as Belgian style counts for something to.

C

Chazwozel

yeah ok but we have like 8700 different beers (according to wikipedia) on a population of 10 million plus the fact some American brewers have to market their beer as Belgian style counts for something to.

No it doesn't, it just means they're using Belgian yeast.

Mexico City has double the population of all of Belgium.

There are twice the amount of Chilangos than there are Belgians.

This both scares and amuses me.

B

Biardo

ok, maybe you have a point, but we drink more beer per capita :hmmm:

I wont keep arguing because i don't drink that much of special beers to really care, I will say that we have a couple of good lagers that I enjoy drinking very much and the American beers that get trough to Belgium taste like piss but I know that's not really surprising our best beers don't really export too.

That I believe Biardo. It's very hard for for craft brewers to get a distributor willing to hold a significant supply of their product as the big companies buy up as much space in the warehouses as they can. If you're ever in the states, you'll have to try some of the smaller brew stuff like Rogue, Founders, and Ommegang. If you're not willing to take a chance, check out BeerAdvocate.com for ratings to see what is generally considered the better American beers and see the reviews of the beers before you buy them.

C

Chazwozel

I wont keep arguing because i don't drink that much of special beers to really care, I will say that we have a couple of good lagers that I enjoy drinking very much and the American beers that get trough to Belgium taste like piss but I know that's not really surprising our best beers don't really export too.
I don't think very many craftbrews in the US make it out of their respective state! Budweiser is not what I'm talking about.

B

Biardo

I don't think very many craftbrews in the US make it out of their respective state! Budweiser is not what I'm talking about.[/QUOTE]

yeah the small beers over here don't get out their cities

shit the best beer I ever drank doesn't get out of the monastery it is brewed in, you can go by it at their gate (1 crate of 24 per car) but you have to be lucky that they still have some (they even have a beerphone where you can call to check if they aren't sold out)

and I definitely want to try that ommegang now, I'll check for American beers next time I'm in the beercafe here

C

Chazwozel

"Stuff White People Argue About:"

:p
Hah, you don't have to be white to argue about beer. :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you're black you argue about malt liquor!

That brings me full circle back to the topic at hand. "Stuff White People like..."

That list is full of shit that everyone can like, not just white people. There's actually a stuff Black People like counter page, and it lists shit like fried chicken (how original) and hot sauce. Who the fuck doesn't like fried chicken or hot sauce?

Necronic

Staff member
American craft brews are the best in the world, I will argue that to the grave. Part of the reason is why Americans' are great at everything, we don't give a horse's ass about tradition. Europe has some amazing breweries, and I mean fucking amazing. Germans' treat beer with an almost religious honoring, handing down breweries and their recipes through centuries.

Which is cool for them.

But its not for us. Here, we have no traditions when it comes to beer (at least, none worth remembering), so we have nothing but the inspiration that the rest of the world's breweries give us, which we then use to come up with crazy crazy crazy assed beers. Or even if we do an old style beer, we don't give a damn where it comes from, where their water comes from, or anything like that. Just what it tastes like.

Live Oak in Austin is a good example. It has won a couple of worldwide competitions. I've seen their brewery. It's on old warehouse with a bunch of non-traditional dairy tank fermenters and 1 table with an overflowing ashtray in the corner with a fridge next to it with a bunch of taps. It looks....terrible. But they make insanely good beer.

We are reckless in our pursuit of greatness, and we have only 1 local giant that can look down on us (Sam Adams, which is an amazing brewery that some elitests hate just because its Sam Adams). We stand in the shadow of no giants, and we create our own standards day to day.

By the way, for those of you that don't like beer, it seems like there are a lot of apologists out here for you. Fuck that. Grow a pair (if your a woman you are excused.) Beer is god's gift to humans. It is how we taste the earth that gives us life. Through it we only grow stronger.

All your talk about the 'acquired taste' nonsense only makes me angrier. I was born with a bottle in my hand. Each night at the long table I drink an entire horn of ale while eating a slab of meat, which steels me for the coming battle with the monster Grendel.

you should start a counter blog called "I'm not racist....BUT"

Nice.

I'm not racist but..."insert most racist statement ever here"[/QUOTE]

That's what they'd expect, so you should do the opposite and just post whatever.

"Now I'm not racist but.... I don't know why black people always have a #2 pencil with them"

Status
Not open for further replies.