Straub and Erica's Public Breakup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Philosopher B.

I dunno. I don't use twitter, but I imagine maybe if you use it constantly it's like a reflex to note stuff like that. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if I came across something like that on a blog. Yeah, it's a bit weird, but I won't condemn them for it, especially since their fans saw them together in loads of videos and might wonder.

Now, if they aired all kinds of dirty laundry and accused each other of crazy stuff, I'd frown on that.

Also, it's not like he made a blog post on any of his comics or anything..

I always assumed twitter was a more personal thing.. I never checked it out though :|

I dunno, it just seems like some of you may be blowing it out of proportion :Leyla:

One ex and I both went on a certain now defunct forum. We were on there, shared our getting together on there, still posted while together, and after we broke up. Note: AFTER. When we were breaking up (because it took a while) we did not make note of it in our posts, or even make mention of it, until well after it was all over with. And when we posted about it to let those people know, it was a neutral, non-detailed exchange just letting people know it happened, it's over, life moves on, etc, back to talking about video games and such.

That is how, if you must share, it should be handled. Plain, cool-headed, and with hindsight.

Of course, it all goes to shit if even one of the couple chooses to do otherwise. A couple months later, she did a "tell-all" post to let everyone know the details. My only reply, after many people posted sympathies and then asked where I was and what my thoughts were and what was going on, was "I have nothing to say."

I was a stupid 18-year-old. Now, why do these two, much older, should be wiser and more mature, and also people I respect, do this?

Bumble the Boy Wonder said:

I always assumed twitter was a more personal thing.. I never checked it out though :|

I dunno, it just seems like some of you may be blowing it out of proportion :Leyla:
Uhh.. it's not really personal if you POST links to your twitter account in your MAIN PAGE. Kris and Scott use it constantly to give sneak peaks at upcoming strips or to ask questions about merchandise they're thinking about and they also used it as an instant ustream updater.

Scott says he's gonna do that now with his new pay-to-post fan club thing. But it's far from a personal thing.

Calleja said:
Bumble the Boy Wonder said:

Uhh.. it's not really personal if you POST links to your twitter account in your MAIN PAGE. Kris and Scott use it constantly to give sneak peaks at upcoming strips or to ask questions about merchandise they're thinking about and they also used it as an instant ustream updater.

Scott says he's gonna do that now with his new pay-to-post fan club thing. But it's far from a personal thing.
Oh, my bad. Didn't know all that

I'll just shut my mouth on topics I don't know about :|

S

Singularity.EXE

I find it funny how judgmental we are on social apps. You all sound like my grandfather when I try to explain the concept of a forum to him. On behalf of Erica and Kris, I hereby apologize for their use of our generations social phenomenon.

I'm gonna go frown upon people having conversations over telly-phones now, don't those young'ins know you could have the same conversation face to face!

Singularity.EXE said:
I find it funny how judgmental we are on social apps. You all sound like my grandfather when I try to explain the concept of a forum to him. On behalf of Erica and Kris, I hereby apologize for their use of our generations social phenomenon.

I'm gonna go frown upon people having conversations over telly-phones now, don't those young'ins know you could have the same conversation face to face!
It's not the form, it's the audience.

Although I consider the guy I knew in high school who broke up with his girlfriend via text message to be a total jackass for it and I stand by that.

Singularity.EXE said:

If one of my friends had a break up and decided to call anyone they've ever known to tell them about it, I might frown upon that.

Also, it seems to me this would be like changing your answering machine to include a message about how painful the breakup was. Would you still be so quick to defend that? I doubt it.

M

makare

A Troll said:
[quote="Singularity.EXE":uqvwnik0]I find it funny how judgmental we are on social apps. You all sound like my grandfather when I try to explain the concept of a forum to him. On behalf of Erica and Kris, I hereby apologize for their use of our generations social phenomenon.

If one of my friends had a break up and decided to call anyone they've ever known to tell them about it, I might frown upon that.

Also, it seems to me this would be like changing your answering machine to include a message about how painful the breakup was. Would you still be so quick to defend that? I doubt it.[/quote:uqvwnik0]

Do you use your answering machine to post stuff like "today I am not wearing socks" or "I really like Jello" like people do with Twitter? Probably not. Answering machine is not the same as Twitter it doesnt serve nearly the same function.

C

Cuyval Dar

Hey, they took a cue from Randall Munroe. Bitch about failed relationships on the internet.

S

Singularity.EXE

I will address two things that were previously mentioned; form and audience.

Audience: There are two categories of people on Twitter, people you are following, and people who are following you. Followers are following you because they care about what you are saying, feeling or doing. If I follow Neil Gaiman, its because I am generally interested in what is he doing at various points throughout the day, any content that he wishes to share, I receive because I want to know. Thus, when someone makes a declaration like this, the targeted audience are people who genuinely care about the comings and goings of your life.

Form: Twitter is a micro-blogger, its express intent is to disseminate minor (140 characters or less) updates to an audience. At which point people may or may not have a discussion. An answering machines purpose is to inform anyone calling in that they have reached the correct number, and can leave *you* a message. The two are really incompatible analogies, a closer one would be Twitter and this forum.

Now let's explore this option a bit. A forum is used to express more complex ideas or thoughts, or to disseminate news. The audience is, on-average, the same size as a non-celebrities Twitter cast, and whose role in the forum is to have a discussion with other members. Thus a forum operates like a Twitter cast in its purpose.

So, when we make "man-baaw" threads is that as much "Attention Whoring" as Kris and and Erica? Certainly, but that doesn't mean its that bad of a thing. In both cases the recipient of the message has opted in to receiving it, so they have no ground for complaining of its post existence.

Cajungal

Staff member
I still say it's tacky, although not as tacky as actually breaking up with someone electronically. But I don't follow either of them so I never have to hear anything.

M

makare

I guess I keep thinking about when I was going through that stuff with my sister (which I am not going to explain now) it was very personal and stuff but I found it comforting to talk about it on twitter. I know that unlike those guys I dont have an audience, but I still liked having Twitter to whine to.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Cajungal said:
I still say it's tacky, although not as tacky as actually breaking up with someone electronically. But I don't follow either of them so I never have to hear anything.
I don't get it. As I understand it, people twitter all sorts of personal info regularly. Why would it be tacky to mention what is a significant thing? Wait.

I think it's totally weird to twitter personal shit all day long so it's all tacky to me. I should be asking why is this personal thing any different than twittering other shit?

Cajungal

Staff member
Gruebeard said:
I don't get it. As I understand it, people twitter all sorts of personal info regularly. Why would it be tacky to mention what is a significant thing? Wait.

I think it's totally weird to twitter personal shit all day long so it's all tacky to me. I should be asking why is this personal thing any different than twittering other shit?
I guess it's a personal quirk. I've never been one (nor has anyone in my family been one...) to sob about relationship problems publicly--online or otherwise. It's a close friends/family thing, not to be broadcast. I suppose a breakup is kind of different. I guess people who follow him on Twitter might care about that, friends or not. I, however, get uncomfortable when my facebook friends have a status like:

__(insert name)___ is sooo disappointed in her bf....

OR

_(insert name)__ feels a breakup coming on. :,(

But, like I said, I don't have to read any of it. *shrug* Good luck to em.

The difference is that we regulars have at most, what, 200 followers? This guys used twitter as a platform for their webcomic, that means THOUSANDS of followers, most of whom where following for updates on STARSLIP stuff, not their personal life.

And I'm not saying it was bad form to share they broke up, I'm saying it was the specific way they did it, too many details that were unnecessary. We don't just know they broke up, we know Kris broke up with Erica and that she's really devastated. Is that necessary?

Calleja said:
The difference is that we regulars have at most, what, 200 followers? This guys used twitter as a platform for their webcomic, that means THOUSANDS of followers, most of whom where following for updates on STARSLIP stuff, not their personal life.

And I'm not saying it was bad form to share they broke up, I'm saying it was the specific way they did it, too many details that were unnecessary. We don't just know they broke up, we know Kris broke up with Erica and that she's really devastated. Is that necessary?
Must've been a bad bitter breakup then. Otherwise, I doubt they'd twit it.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Calleja said:
We don't just know they broke up, we know Kris broke up with Erica and that she's really devastated. Is that necessary?
Is any of their twitter necessary? :pthhp:

Okay, that's out of my system: That doesn't seem like much info, especially compared to what I'm guessing they've talked about their relationship when times were good. I'm assuming they've twittered plenty of other info about their relationship. Everybody knew about their relationship after all, so they've had to have said plenty. I just don't see a little info about the breakup is out of place.

_____

Not that I would twitter like that (shit, you guys know far less about me than you do about a lot of the regulars here) but for those who would twitter, this seems like pretty normal stuff.

I think we're forgetting the important thing here:

Starslip hasn't been updated in a couple of days now...

makare1 said:
A Troll said:
[quote="Singularity.EXE":3jswvjd6]I find it funny how judgmental we are on social apps. You all sound like my grandfather when I try to explain the concept of a forum to him. On behalf of Erica and Kris, I hereby apologize for their use of our generations social phenomenon.

Also, it seems to me this would be like changing your answering machine to include a message about how painful the breakup was. Would you still be so quick to defend that? I doubt it.
Do you use your answering machine to post stuff like "today I am not wearing socks" or "I really like Jello" like people do with Twitter? Probably not. Answering machine is not the same as Twitter it doesnt serve nearly the same function.[/quote:3jswvjd6]

Well, you're focusing on an obvious point and ignoring the reason I made the comparison. Your answering machine, like a twitter account, is completely open to anyone in the public with your contact info. So, why would you put something personal like that on such a public outlet? It's still tacky, stupid, and grossly immature.

M

makare

A Troll said:
Well, you're focusing on an obvious point and ignoring the reason I made the comparison. Your answering machine, like a twitter account, is completely open to anyone in the public with your contact info. So, why would you put something personal like that on such a public outlet? It's still tacky, stupid, and grossly immature.
but the twitter is for sharing things in your life.

makare1 said:
A Troll said:
Okay, maybe I'm just a cranky old man that hates this entire generation of attention-whore enabling technology that I find both unnecessary and pathetic. Twitter exemplifies all that is wrong with the information age.

M

makare

A Troll said:
makare1 said:
[quote="A Troll":2utfp2q1]
Okay, maybe I'm just a cranky old man that hates this entire generation of attention-whore enabling technology that I find both unnecessary and pathetic. Twitter exemplifies all that is wrong with the information age.[/quote:2utfp2q1]

Did you just troll me? I get it. The irony of complaining about that kind of technology on that kind of technology. Well done.

makare1 said:
Did you just troll me? I get it. The irony of complaining about that kind of technology on that kind of technology. Well done.
No. I'm seriously being cranky (okay, going a little over the top for fun) about this.

There's a world of difference between this forum and twitter/facebook/myspace. You're interacting with me now, but you don't really know a thing about me. You don't know what I look like, where I live... you don't even know my real name. There is nothing about ME that is on display here. Now, take twitter and all the other social networking sites. It's all about people making themselves the center of attention. I HATE that. I'm a private person, and I can't fathom how other people seek to create online altars to themselves. To me, twitter is just the newest and greatest extension of that whole "Look at me! Look at me!" generation.

It's like someone in this thread already said... growing up I learned to keep things private. If I broke up with someone, I don't run around telling as many people as soon as I can. I don't get people who do that.

But I also accept I have a minority opinion on this matter. It seems 90% of people out there love twitter and myspace and the like, so more power to 'em. It doesn't affect me. When I get a chance to comment on those things, though, you bet I'll wear my "Cranky Old Luddite" badge with pride.

M

makare

A Troll said:
makare1 said:
No. I'm seriously being cranky (okay, going a little over the top for fun) about this.

There's a world of difference between this forum and twitter/facebook/myspace. You're interacting with me now, but you don't really know a thing about me. You don't know what I look like, where I live... you don't even know my real name. There is nothing about ME that is on display here. Now, take twitter and all the other social networking sites. It's all about people making themselves the center of attention. I HATE that. I'm a private person, and I can't fathom how other people seek to create online altars to themselves. To me, twitter is just the newest and greatest extension of that whole "Look at me! Look at me!" generation.

It's like someone in this thread already said... growing up I learned to keep things private. If I broke up with someone, I don't run around telling as many people as soon as I can. I don't get people who do that.

But I also accept I have a minority opinion on this matter. It seems 90% of people out there love twitter and myspace and the like, so more power to 'em. It doesn't affect me. When I get a chance to comment on those things, though, you bet I'll wear my "Cranky Old Luddite" badge with pride.

Have you ever used twitter? It isn't any more personal than this forum. And both places people talk about personal things. Most of the people I follow and follow me on twitter are from the forum here. It is basically just one long post from a forum titled "my life" with people randomly commenting. It is nothing like myspace.

makare1 said:
Have you ever used twitter? It isn't any more personal than this forum. And both places people talk about personal things. Most of the people I follow and follow me on twitter are from the forum here. It is basically just one long post from a forum titled "my life" with people randomly commenting. It is nothing like myspace.
No. As you could tell, I don't really like the idea of it. I do have a few friends who use it, and of course I've seen plenty of feeds from places on the web like Kurtz. I'm not a big fan of anything whose sole purpose is to put the details of your life out there for everyone else to see. It's examples like this breakup nonesense that make me hate twitter. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't get all whiny on twitter, but it just seems to me like more people share way too much.

M

makare

I dont like sharing too much that is why my twitter is set to private and only people I individually choose can see it. It is safer that way.

I know that if my gf and I were to break up it would likely be WWIII. Our fights tend to get a little heated pretty fast. So, if it got bad enough to break up, I'd imagine there would be some fall-out in my life. I'm a pretty private person. So, I'd probably be even more piss-and-vinegar than what I already am. But, I know I wouldn't come on these boards and spill my guts. I also wouldn't lose it at work or some silly shit like that. I try to be a little more professional than that.

You kids and your twitterbook and your iSpace and your myPods. In my day we didn't have none of that! And we were grateful!

Now git off mah lawn!

M

makare

Gasp... Sonny! Oh that is the most depressing pic I have ever seen....

it should be over in the depressing march of time thread!

A Troll said:
I'm not a big fan of anything whose sole purpose is to put the details of your life out there for everyone else to see.
You're getting the technology mixed up with the people who use it. The technology's sole purpose is to let people post messages of 140 characters in length at a time. How people use it is widely varied. For some, it's a mini-blog; for others, a place to post news stories; for yet others, a sales tool; some people RP as characters from movies and TV shows; people like Warren Ellis, Neil Gaiman, and Stephen Fry keep in touch with their fans. It's silly to blame Twitter for this; they would have just blogged or MySpaced or Facebooked it or whatever, if it hadn't been Twitter. I'm not arguing that most of these things are used for web-based oversharing, and whether or not you enjoy that (and to what degree) is definitely a matter of taste. But what you're saying sounds like me getting pissed off at a thread you started and blaming phpBB for it.

J

JCM

Gruebeard said:
Calleja said:
We don't just know they broke up, we know Kris broke up with Erica and that she's really devastated. Is that necessary?
Is any of their twitter necessary? :pthhp:
Is breaking up in front of thousands necessary?
Twitter exemplifies all that is wrong with the information age.
This.

It has nothing to so with technology, but the stupidity of a couple. Heck, take twitter out,and tell us that, lets say, two people breaking up on stage in a crowded pub isnt stupid.
Starslip hasn't been updated in a couple of days now...
Attention whores, and unprofessional comic artist wannabe?

And yeah, I didnt skip work after breaking up with a fiancée from a 4-year relationship, so fuck people wanting to earn a living from something they cant be professional about.

C

Chazwozel

Let me just put it out there that if I were to be getting divorced, you guys would learn about it in probably a years time after the fact. There are just some things that people post online that aren't required. You have real life family and friends to help you deal with those sorts of issues.

Posting them online is the equivalent of being that one asshole at a party that sulks in the corner hoping for some girl to come along and talk to him about his problems all night long. I fucking hate people that are in search of pity for themselves.

I think the only time I posted about getting divorced (which I did, last year) was once in a thread about what books you're reading (and for me, it was "do it yourself divorce in texas" or somesuch), and after the divorce was final, because I was so jazzed about being my own lawyer and getting custody of my son. In other words, just random forum chatter. The "OMG, so emo!" online breakup is so high-school.

My wife and I had called it off 6 months prior to the divorce, and I didn't blast it publically all over the internet. On the other hand, I did blog about it on Myspace, when I first broke up with her. But that blog was set to be viewable only to a small subset of people that I considered close friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.