stem cells repair heart damage from heart attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Nope. Stem cells are evil and must be eradicated. I don't care how many millions it could help! Stem cells should be banned!

Unless I could benefit from them, then I wouldn't care.

[/sarcasm]

"Why are we not funding this?" - Peter Griffin

Dammit Dave, I wanted to be the crazy person in this thread. Why you always gotta be bogarting the irrational lunatic role?

S

Soliloquy

Are there actually people out there who oppose the use of all stem cells, instead of just the ones from fetuses?

I think the folks who don't like the idea of using aborted babies for stem cells would be okay with using adult stem cells.

Stem cells are pretty amazing, but they're not a cure-all. Just like the human genome project didn't solve all our questions about cancer and genetic diseases.

I think the folks who don't like the idea of using aborted babies for stem cells would be okay with using adult stem cells.
I know I don't have any moral issues with adult stem cells. The "aborted babies" ones make me have a phylosophy class inside my head that finally ends in "I know I wouldn't care if I needed it. At least until I was cured. I'd probably feel bad about it later.

C

Chibibar

I know I don't have any moral issues with adult stem cells. The "aborted babies" ones make me have a phylosophy class inside my head that finally ends in "I know I wouldn't care if I needed it. At least until I was cured. I'd probably feel bad about it later.[/QUOTE]

You know that is what I am thinking. I guess my morals is kinda "loose" but personally the aborted babies are going to be aborted regardless and thus the stem cells should not go to waste.

BUT I do see if this WAS allow, some places might "encourage" women to abort JUST to harvest the cells, this is what I have problem with. (see the difference? some of my friends can't see the difference between the two)

But in the end, if 10 years from now I have some serious disease and only current stem cell technology from aborted babies that can save my life, I will take it.

I believe that many politicians and even some "snobs" will do it too. Sure there are some people who are truly steadfast and willing to die rather than be cure, but those kind of people are really rare.

using aborted babies for stem cells
Ok...I am going to preface this by saying I learned this in high school and I MIGHT be wrong...but it was taught to me by a Teacher-Of-The-Year winner and registered nurse. I trust it.

We do not get stem cells from aborted babies! They are not a particularly stable or bountiful source for them. We get them from fertilized but not implanted zygotes created for fertility clinics. They generally create more than a couple would generally use just in case something goes wrong. The extras are kept on ice until they are either ordered to be or end up needing to be destroyed. There should be no moral qualms about using this as a source for stem cell research, as they have very little chance of ever being implanted and brought to term.

Aside from avoiding gov't funding of processes that are ethically questionable:

One good reason to hold off on gov't funding is that there are thousands of programs that are seeking funding, and are further along than stem cells. Lack of gov't funding doesn't halt, or even significantly slow, stem cell research.

Just like the promise of cold fusion (yes, it exists, but it's not ready yet) stem cells have a great future - once they've gone through the wringer. There are some treatments that are showing promise, but what program are we going to take funding away from in order to fund this research? Heart disease? Cancer? AIDs?

Further, unlike a lot of possibilities, stem cell therapy is something that will make a lot of money in the future, so people are willing to invest in it even when the gov't won't.

I'd say give the gov't money to less popular programs that won't get attention from investors because they don't have the star power that stem cells do.

using aborted babies for stem cells
Ok...I am going to preface this by saying I learned this in high school and I MIGHT be wrong...but it was taught to me by a Teacher-Of-The-Year winner and registered nurse. I trust it.

We do not get stem cells from aborted babies! They are not a particularly stable or bountiful source for them. We get them from fertilized but not implanted zygotes created for fertility clinics. They generally create more than a couple would generally use just in case something goes wrong. The extras are kept on ice until they are either ordered to be or end up needing to be destroyed. There should be no moral qualms about using this as a source for stem cell research, as they have very little chance of ever being implanted and brought to term.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, Dorko (and thanks, I feel like a jock now ;) ). Many eggs are fertilized for in-vitro fertilization; when the couple is done, they're 'on ice'. The embryo being destroyed isn't the one people think of (i.e. that diagram that looks so like a chicken embryo, with little limb buds and eyes), but when it's between the 8 and 32 cell phase. This, coupled with ethical guidelines for research--such as informing the donors of what it entails, including them not being misled by thinking they will receive benefits directly from their donated embryos--makes embryonic stem cell (ESC) research something I support.

As for stem cells not being a cure-all, this is very true. Interestingly enough, Stienman, stem cell research would serve as a tandem approach to solving their problems--not taking anything away. Heart disease, for example, could be treated by tissue repair (tissue engineering) or, once the science advances far enough, regrowth of the organ (one promising mode right now is SCNT and ANT*, where--in a nutshell--one's own nucleus is implanted into a de-nucleated fertilized egg, then grown to create self-embryonic stem cells).

For cancer, there's many labs (one of which I'm actually applying to, if I'm accepted for a program at the school) that investigate the idea of cancerous stem cells--that is, cells that regress into a stem cell-like state and cause a cancerous state. Research from this (such as cell cycle/differentiation genes/factors within the cell) would benefit multiple fields that could use it.

For AIDS, once again, stem cells could be harnessed for treatment and therapy. Regular infusion of one's own HSC (hematopoieitic stem cells) could hold off the AIDS phenotype of HIV infection; or--although this is just off the top of my head--one's own stem cells could be altered with a disease-resistant phenotype (such as replacing the 'normal' CCR5 gene with CCR5D32, thought to help in HIV resistance) to afford some measure of resistance in a patient.

Obviously, I'm a huge proponent of stem cell research, but I do think there is a valid reason they're being shunted to the forefront of medical research. They help us understand how we develop and how we're put together, they have an amazing potential range of treatments and therapies, and they're a parallel approach to virtually any major medical question we can think of.

Of course, these are just examples I'm coming up with off the top of my head (but all of which hold some measure of promise). The therapies and benefits, if any, will (of course) be years away, but the nature of science is not immediate--the sooner we start, I say, the better.

TL; DR: Dorko's right, stem cells aren't a one-trick pony, and the government should definitely fund embryonic stem cell research.

*ANT and SCNT: Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer and Altered Nuclear Transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.