[Movies] Star Wars: Episode VII

Reverent: those film treatments that you mention most probably do not fit with all of the EU. So if there were ever going to be more movies I guess they wouldn't have agreed with it in any case.

I understand the disappointment though. To you star wars is the whole universe, and this is like if they did a spiderman movie with a wildly different origin and original villains, in some ways?

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190 mediante Tapatalk
Yep, like Bhamv, I have more loyalty to the current Star Wars universe, including the EU, than whatever this new thing is. Like I said, yeah there's practical reasons for tossing it, it's the safer, easier route, but safer and easier is not always best (though it's not always wrong either). To use Marvel as an example again, I doubt the safe and easy route for them is to make a cosmic superhero movie starring a talking raccoon and tree-person, but boy am I glad they're doing it anyway.

Yep, and my only point was that sort reductionist approach to the universe to appeal to the lowest common denominator is disappointing for some fans. It doesn't matter to you, and that's fine, it's a matter of subjective preferences after all, but there's nothing wrong with others preferring that things would be done another way.
You might note, I never questioned the legitimacy of being bummed out by something you like not being a part of a new movie. I totally get that man.

You might note, I never questioned the legitimacy of being bummed out by something you like not being a part of a new movie. I totally get that man.
That's fine, I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't doing some "The company I own no stake in MUST do things my way or they are objectively wrong" fan thing. I am not always the best at actually saying what I'm trying to convey.

fade

Staff member
I guess to me they were always two different things. I don't feel the Spider-man analogy. To me, it's more like ignoring the Marvel Manga spider-man when they make the next spidey film.

I guess to me they were always two different things. I don't feel the Spider-man analogy. To me, it's more like ignoring the Marvel Manga spider-man when they make the next spidey film.
Totally, but I've always been of the mind that different mediums must be respected and that one can be enjoyed without ruining the other. But then again I know folks who just loath adaptions or changes to things they hold dear. At that point I start to wonder if perhaps one might be holding that thing a little too dear.

That being said, I still understand that it sucks when something you like gets messed with or changed or in this case, ignored. I think it just happens to often that to things I love that I just had to give up being upset over it.

Yeah....Lucas threw out part of the EU for movies 5 and 6. They threw out parts of the EU for episodes 1-3. Why be surprised when they toss other parts for movie 7-9?
Plenty of things in the EU are pretty cool. I love the OR series of games, the Jedi Knight games really had quality, the Thrawn novels were pretty good.
Expecting the new movie to adhere to everything from the EU, though, is like asking them to make a new Spiderman movie and not only not tell the origin story, but to actually be in mine with current comic universe canon. 99% of viewers* haven't read all the comics, if you don't introduce concepts or characters but assume they know who they are, you won't be very successful. Either the new movies'd be set much, much later - thus making them "not eispode 7-9" - or they'd be retelling of books already written (New Jedi Order, Thrawn,...). Neither would be interesting from their POV.

Like the Star Trek reboot, I expect there to be a lot of reappearing characters, also from the EU, in similar-but-slightly-different roles. We'll see. I do understand people not being happy about it, but I don't really think there was another solution.

*This is not a deliberate hyperbole at all.

*Sigh* I was going to leave the snarky comments alone, but given how often the same incorrect comparison is being repeated, I feel the need to correct it. This is not a matter of the movies daring to have any points of contradiction. Some conflicts inevitably occur in a franchise that's been going on as long as Star Wars has with as many different writers involved (especially when one of them is George Lucas). As has been mentioned, that's happened before, as has the EU contradicting other parts of the EU and the movies contradicting other movies. What is happening in this case is the entire EU is being thrown out and everything - movies, tv shows, books, and whatever other new media forms they're using - going forward are all going to following this new direction.

Expecting the new movie to adhere to everything from the EU, though, is like asking them to make a new Spiderman movie and not only not tell the origin story, but to actually be in mine with current comic universe canon. 99% of viewers* haven't read all the comics, if you don't introduce concepts or characters but assume they know who they are, you won't be very successful.
They're jumping ahead 30 years for these movies, regardless of whether or not they use any EU material, they'll be introducing new characters and concepts that weren't in the previous movies. Whether they do that successfully is a an issue independent of the use of the EU.

Last edited:
Since, ultimately, we have no say, I'm just going to hope that the new movies encompass some of the EU in spirit. It doesn't need to match its continuity, or even necessarily use the same names, but a few nods would be nice.

Well, in positive news, Mark Hamill is looking pretty great for the first time in like a decade. Getting into fighting shape for some role he might have in the future.

Okay.... contest aside..... that alien was made with practical effects..... not cgi....I am taking this as a good sign.