[Movies] Star Wars: Episode VII

At least it's not being written by Orci and Kurtzman. I don't think I can handle them shitting on anything else I cherished as a child.

Abrams is an incredibly safe choice.

Stop being so reasonable and start ranting, man! This is a forum!
Oops, m'bad.

Ahem.

WTF why is freaking JJ Abrhams directing this? I don't want Lost: In Space, if I wanted to watch that I'd just watch Lost In Space. Except Lost in Space is nothing like Lost, now that I think about it, but that's beside the point. JJ directed Star Trek too and now he's directing Star Wars? How the hell does that make any sense? What, are we going to see a lightsaber fight between Spock and Chewie now? I'll bet we are, aren't we? And I'll tell you why that's utterly retarded, it's because Chewie can't use a lightsaber to fight with any sort of competence, because lightsabers have weightless blades, so unless you're Force-sensitive and have had tons of training, chances are you'll end up cutting your own arm off on your first swing. Chewie using a lightsaber is the worst idea ever, I can't believe Abrams came up with something so brainless. I mean sure, Han used a lightsaber briefly in Episode 5, but that wasn't in combat, he just used it to cut open the Tauntaun so he could keep Luke warm. And by the way, Luke pretty much only got attacked by the Wampa to explain why Mark Hamill got a scar on his chin. Did JJ Abrams know that? Huh? I don't see him talking about anything that would show he's a Star Wars fan. He doesn't know anything about the backstory, or the background, or the extended universe, which makes him completely unqualified to direct Episode 7. I mean, he probably doesn't even know what the Sun Crusher is, never mind the New Jedi Order or the Yuuzhan Vong. And I'll tell you what, Episode 7 better have Ganner Rhysode's last stand in the movie, because that's such an epic part of Star Wars lore, it'd be a travesty to leave it out. I don't care if Ganner Rhysode doesn't exist in the new movie continuity, because Ganner Rhysode is awesome, your argument is invalid. Leaving him out would be, like, one step below the Holocaust in terms of evil. Which reminds me, Episode 7 should also address the holocaust that befell Endor after the second Death Star blew up in orbit. I'm not gonna link all the data, but suffice to say all the Ewoks should be dead in a month. If there are any Ewoks in Episode 7 I'm going to be very disappointed. Oh, and what's Episode 7 gonna be called, anyway? JJ Abrams hasn't even come up with a title for it, and you already give him the director job? PUHLEEZ.

Being written by the guy who did Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3 and helped with Brave. That's about all I know.
Yeah, I guess that might not be too bad, but I'm still curious about what they're going to do in terms of characters, plot, continuity etc. Are Luke and Han and Leia and Chewie coming back? Are they using anything from the EU? Are they really bringing back Vader? This is the kind of news I'll be more interested in, in the coming months.

If they're using the old mains from IV/V/VI, it's either recast them or place it decades after the end of VI. Recasting is going to start a shitstorm the likes of which has never been seen.

If they're using the old mains from IV/V/VI, it's either recast them or place it decades after the end of VI. Recasting is going to start a shitstorm the likes of which has never been seen.
Honestly, no matter what they do, it's going to cause a shitstorm.

Personally I think their best bet is to go for something like the Clone Wars series; set the movies in the Star Wars universe, but tell stories that aren't necessarily related to our main cast. The Stars Wars universe is incredibly deep and rich, there are lots of stories that could be told.

I feel like moving forward in the numerated series means it has to tie into the Skywalker group somehow, even if it's the Solo children and Lowbacca. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like there's much point in making it episode VII.

I feel like moving forward in the numerated series means it has to tie into the Skywalker group somehow, even if it's the Solo children and Lowbacca. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like there's much point in making it episode VII.
I agree. Calling it Episode 7 means it'll almost certainly tie in with the main cast of the previous 6 episodes. I'm saying they shouldn't have called it Episode 7, they should just say "we're making new Star Wars movies" and left it there. That gives them a lot more freedom to tell whatever stories they want.

Hmm, I'm being awfully reasonable here. I think I may need to rant again soon.

I'm taking the Abrams thing with a grain of salt for now. Already had one hoax pulled about a director, so waiting for a real press release isn't going to hurt me.

Just saw it on my local news.
And... anything from Disney, Lucasfilm or anything that isn't based off of a twitter feed? We've all seen people give a huge push on something that they are assured is going to happen, and then it doesn't. I'm willing to wait, if it's true, great, I think he'll do a good job, if not, I haven't gotten my hopes up.

If they are going to have this out in 2 years, they better get crack-a-lackin'

So JJ is likely the director, and they will be in a real freaking hurry to get this done. I hope that there has already been a rough sketch for this story already done. Not to mention the length of time it will take to do all the effects shots.

I wasn't convinced about the Abrams thing, I was very much in the "Will believe it when they confirm it" camp.. but them Simon Pegg himself publicly congratulated him on twitter... and Pegg is not only not the type who would feed hype for no reason, he's also been working with Abrams for 2 Star Trek movies (and worked with him for Mission Impossible, too), so I'm kinda now leaning towards they definitely true camp.

I'm really nervous about this.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Who's willing to bet that he'll rewind the entire storyline by having a future Death Star appear and blowing Tatooine to pieces before Anakin is born? ;)

Who's willing to bet that he'll rewind the entire storyline by having a future Death Star appear and blowing Tatooine to pieces before Anakin is born? ;)
I am. As much flak as Abrams get, you can never say the guy's repetitive. (except for the lens flares)

North_Ranger

Staff member
Yeah... I just find it oddly terrifying. All the flak he got from the Trek movie... and now Star Wars?

I can just imagine J.J.Abrams sitting in his comfortable black leather chair, rubbing his fingers together as he laughs maniacally. First Star Trek, now Star Wars... then he only needs to grab Stargate, and his task is complete. The screams of the nerds will then provide enough power for his Doomsday Gun...

Let's just accept the fact that Trekkies and hardcore Star Wars geeks will never be happy with anything, and will always bitch about everything, okay? That way we won't be surprised when it inevitably happens, and the rest of us can (maybe) enjoy the movies in peace.

Yeah... I just find it oddly terrifying. All the flak he got from the Trek movie... and now Star Wars?

I can just imagine J.J.Abrams sitting in his comfortable black leather chair, rubbing his fingers together as he laughs maniacally. First Star Trek, now Star Wars... then he only needs to grab Stargate, and his task is complete. The screams of the nerds will then provide enough power for his Doomsday Gun...
He got a lot of flak but he also got A LOT of praise. I think he handled Star Trek brilliantly... he found the perfect way to bring in new people and ALSO make the staunch trekkers happy. I also hear way way more positive stuff than complaints about new Star Trek, seriously like in a 10 to 1 ratio, and I'm friends with lots of very whiny trekkies.

We still have to wait for Star Trek 2, though, that could very well be a train wreck.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Let's just accept the fact that Trekkies and hardcore Star Wars geeks will never be happy with anything, and will always bitch about everything, okay? That way we won't be surprised when it inevitably happens, and the rest of us can (maybe) enjoy the movies in peace.
At least it can't be any worse than the prequels.

Kris Straub sums up my feelings (from http://chainsawsuit.com/)

i wasn’t crazy about abrams’ star trek, but it’s not really his fault. TOS was never really my thing, and i felt like the movie was counter to everything i like about star trek — except what i liked about star trek (talky, philosophical space melodrama) was killing the franchise. it just didn’t feel like my star trek anymore. it felt like slickly-written fanfic dressed up with some action sequences thrown on top because talking is boring.
that said, that’s exactly what i like about star wars, so he’s a good fit and will probably kill it

That *IS* true, if Abrams Trek would have been a TNG thing and he'd gone the action flick route with it, I would have been piiiiiiissed.

But TOS always felt more *awkward fight choreography with awesome music* to me.

That's literally what stopped my WHAT!?-blowup seconds after I found out about the Disney/Lucasfilm thing.

It was a WHAAAAAT HOW CAN---- oh, ok, it can't be worse than the prequels, let 'em do it.
I can't find the post right now, but when the thread announcing the buyout was posted here, my response was literally: "Disney can't possibly do any more damage to the Star Wars brand than Lucas already has."[DOUBLEPOST=1359141352][/DOUBLEPOST]I also loved the hell out of the JJA Star Trek movie and pretty much grew up watching the original series. I even remember watching the cartoon.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I've cared for Star Wars since the end of the prequels. I might see this. I certainly won't rule it out, but I'm feeling totally ambivalent about the whole thing.

But TOS always felt more *awkward fight choreography with awesome music* to me.
Not true, TOS had plenty of talky philosophical stuff, it's just that TNG crammed even more of it in by doing less of the *awkward fight choreography with awesome music* (and space chick banging).

The only thing in new Trek that did the same talky thing as TOS was old Spock speechifying... the balance was all off imo.

Kris Straub sums up my feelings (from http://chainsawsuit.com/)

except what i liked about star trek (talky, philosophical space melodrama) was killing the franchise.
No, if Enterprise s4 (and the mirror universe episodes) proved anything is that an overwrought time travel storyline was killing the franchise... it's funny how the show only got truly good after it was cancelled.

AS for SW... yeah, they can't be worse then the prequels...

Not true, TOS had plenty of talky philosophical stuff, it's just that TNG crammed even more of it in by doing less of the *awkward fight choreography with awesome music* (and space chick banging)
Did you just start with "Not true" and then proceeded to agree 100% with my point? I never said TOS did NOT have talky-philosophical things, just that it had MORE *awkward fight choreography with awesome music*... you disagreed with me and then re-stated (albeit better) my point.