Star Trek Into Darkness... Spoilers Ahoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how they are going to reconcile this movie when they are trying to get that new Star Trek series starring Michael Dorn (as Worf) off the ground.

Was there something in the last one besides lens flare?
I should clarify that I don't mean I hope it is a shorter movie, which would also result in less lens flare!

I pointed out how much there was in to my wife and she can't unsee it now. It didn't exactly ruin the movie for her but it definitely knocked it down a notch.

It's so not Trek! All it has in common are names, characters, planets, the Federation, the Races and their hatreds, the technologies, the materials for those technologies, the Ships, the Academy, the Kirk Manuver and the circumstances that are seen in the Trek series. BUT IT IS NOT TREK OKAY!? THEY RUIIIIINED IT!

It's so not Trek! All it has in common are names, characters, planets, the Federation, the Races and their hatreds, the technologies, the materials for those technologies, the Ships, the Academy, the Kirk Manuver and the circumstances that are seen in the Trek series. BUT IT IS NOT TREK OKAY!? THEY RUIIIIINED IT!
Bah, Shatner understood Kirk much better then the film... seriously, programming the computer to make the klingons afraid of Kirk is exactly what Kirk would do.

But what the film really missed that made it not be Star Trek was the attempt at being intellectual... it was mainly an action movie instead.

I love how people are disturbed by certain areas of the movie where things "don't make sense", yet they are perfectly ok with Space Aircraft Carriers and Vulcans and Green chicks.....

I'm pretty shocked that some people apparently don't have differing levels of the suspension of disbelief and can only accept none or all of something.

It's sort of like the argument I heard about Batman: Brave & the Bold. People said things like, "But Batman's supposed be dark, gritty, and realistic! Not fighting mummies in space with laser swords!"

Really, anyone who complains about Batman fighting mummies in space with laser swords can just jump off a cliff.

I am sure Frank that you are not so wrapped up in your argument that you couldn't accept that future Spock on the planet that Scotty is stationed on is as plausible as a flying Space Armada that is capable of traveling at light speed.

I am sure Frank that you are not so wrapped up in your argument that you couldn't accept that future Spock on the planet that Scotty is stationed on is as plausible as a flying Space Armada that is capable of traveling at light speed.
The difference is that you are asked to buy into one from the beginning. It is a precondition, a given. They are saying: "Given that this is true, here is a story..." The other is something that they say follows from those preconditions. And there is no reason to believe that the wildly improbable intersection of three lives would occur in that place GIVEN the wildly improbable world that we've chosen to accept from the beginning.

Edit to further clarify: It is like saying "Given that giraffes can breath underwater and water breathing mammals can speak, Poseidon is the god of the sea." I can accept the first two parts as true because they are given to me, much as a supposition, but the conclusion doesn't follow from those givens.

I'm pretty shocked that some people apparently don't have differing levels of the suspension of disbelief and can only accept none or all of something.
Like accepting zombies as realistic but smoke grenades can't hide people well? :p

Psht, if hats are so awesome, why aren't there any hat-related video games?

Well, okay, there's America's number one war-themed hat simulator, but other than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.