Star Trek Into Darkness... Spoilers Ahoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, sure. And then you get Enterprise, and what good does hat do to anyone?
Fuck off. Enterprise was perfectly fine.

Oh, so the show was slow during the first season?

Welp, people claim that DS9 was the best series for the Star Trek series and I'll agree with them.... however I endured 4+ seasons of build-up for the last few excellent seasons.

Enterprise's last 2 seasons were amazing.

If you haven't seen them then you're automatically wrong and need not reply.

Well I....oh darn. Fine. Humpf.

Ahem, no, I haven't seen the last seasons, and as far as I know, they could be awesome. And I was actually just joking, jeesh :-P Ragging on Enterprise is the new ragging on Voyager, you know that.

That said, the whole concept of Time Travel in ST is completely borke,d it was borked since the first time they used it, it got even worse the waythey used it in some of the movies, and the first 2 seasons of Enterprise did a good job of completely crapping it up. I can take semi-immortal semi-omnipotent creatures like Q and all that, but the way time travel is handled in ST was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as my immersion and suspension of disbelief goes for ST. Simply because it really breaks the story. It breaks and invalidates or renders useless/wrong/ignorant much of what Kirk and Picard did.

Aside from that, some of the cast members were pretty fun, some of the episodes were good; I like they went more Kirk and less Picard though (of course) here and there they suffered from "needing to top the last one" - but every ST series has had that problem, including TNG and DS9. Enterprise as a concept and most of the story had promise; I could easily forgive a number of the choices they made (esthetics etc), but the time travel thing just broke it for me, personally, to the point that I couldn't really enjoy any episode with any reference to the Temporal Cold War. I know the storyline's supposed to get a lot better, and I'm sure I'll watch it all some day. Just not now :p

Fuck off. Enterprise was perfectly fine.

Oh, so the show was slow during the first season?

Welp, people claim that DS9 was the best series for the Star Trek series and I'll agree with them.... however I endured 4+ seasons of build-up for the last few excellent seasons.

Enterprise's last 2 seasons were amazing.

I thought the Xindi stuff was pretty silly too, but the 4th season was definitely a huge improvement right up until the god awful last episode.

Really, so you liked the last episode of Enterprise?

I actually dug quite a bit of the first two seasons when the show was all about exploration and shit.

Did you like the last episode of Firefly?

When shows get canceled, never expect excellence.

Breakups are hard.

The last episode of Firefly was pretty good actually, it just sucked that it ended. The last episode of Enterprise was a super rushed see how many characters we can off and by the way, it was all a holodeck dream.

Enterprise had one of the worst "we probably should have mentioned that sooner" problems I've seen on tv. It also didn't help that I just couldn't care about a single member of the crew. Even Voyager was able to manage that right.

Big potential spoiler:

This Japanese trailer has about 5 seconds of extra footage at the end that I believe may give away who Cumberbatch is playing, or at least a major plot point.

fade

Staff member
I thought it was pretty clear that's who the villain was from the official trailer. The voiceover is a dead-on Montalban impression, and what other classic character wants revenge on the entire federation?

I thought it was pretty clear that's who the villain was from the official trailer. The voiceover is a dead-on Montalban impression, and what other classic character wants revenge on the entire federation?
I didn't hear any Montalban in the voiceover. Distinctly British versus Montalban's very latino drawl.

fade

Staff member
We have to disagree, because I can honestly say that Montalban was the first thing that came to my mind before I even put the pieces together. Maybe "dead-on" was a bit much on my part, but it definitely invoked it.

We have to disagree, because I can honestly say that Montalban was the first thing that came to my mind before I even put the pieces together. Maybe "dead-on" was a bit much on my part, but it definitely invoked it.
I think I can hear some of Montalban's cadence in the way he's speaking. Breathy pauses, etc.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, I just went back and watched it again, and I agree with you. Okay, so maybe by the time I posted, I had romanticized it to Montalban, but I was just coming in here again to say that he has Khan's speech pattern. I guess that was the tell to me. Sorry--I retract "dead on impression" then. My bad.

Yeah, I just went back and watched it again, and I agree with you. Okay, so maybe by the time I posted, I had romanticized it to Montalban, but I was just coming in here again to say that he has Khan's speech pattern. I guess that was the tell to me. Sorry--I retract "dead on impression" then. My bad.
That said, considering the spoiler above, you may just be right.

I accept the new Star Trek movies because they are flat out said to be an alternate reality. That as far as I am concerned, means they can do whatever the fuck they want. That said, if they kill off Spock the same way as in the original movies, I might get miffed. Though you know that they probably just threw that in to fuck with people. Maybe.

I need to brush up on my secondary Trek characters...

Who's ensign hottie?
Dr. Elizabeth Dehner from the second pilot of TOS, "Where no Man Has Gone Before". Lending credence to the "Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchell" theory. That said, I don't think Godlike powers require massive weapons or starships to succeed.

If it's Khan, it's kind of lame to have a character who's entire reason for needing revenge happened offscreen. That's why the original Khan was rad, Kirk fucked him over and now he's a gonna fuck over Kirk. Star Trek 2 was fucking awesome.

Maybe he's supposed to be Gary Khan, the new amalgam character Abram's Gang of Four created so they can give fans the finger. :trolol:

If it's Khan, it's kind of lame to have a character who's entire reason for needing revenge happened offscreen. That's why the original Khan was rad, Kirk fucked him over and now he's a gonna fuck over Kirk. Star Trek 2 was fucking awesome.
If I remember back to Khan's original Space Seed appearance, he was marooned into space in frozen people pods by the government of earth after the Eugenics Wars for 200 years. That may explain his return for vengeance in this trailer.[DOUBLEPOST=1354822846][/DOUBLEPOST]
Maybe he's supposed to be Gary Khan, the new amalgam character Abram's Gang of Four created so they can give fans the finger. :trolol:
You son of a bitch.

I guess, I dunno. Taking revenge on people hundreds of years later seems kinda flimsy. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark that they may make the whole eugenics thing take place in contemporary times in Star Trek and have this be when Khan was doing his whole terrorist thing. If he's Khan of course.

I wonder if Disney bought Star Wars simply to have something to put up against Star Trek.
My box office 8 ball suggests "Not likely"

Released Movie Name 1st Weekend US Gross Worldwide Gross Budget
12/7/1979 Star Trek: The Motion Picture $11,926,421 $82,258,456 $139,000,000 $35,000,000
6/4/1982 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan $14,347,221 $79,912,963 $96,800,000 $12,000,000
6/1/1984 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock $16,673,229 $76,471,046 $87,000,000 $18,000,000
11/26/1986 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home $16,881,888 $109,713,132 $133,000,000 $24,000,000
6/9/1989 Star Trek V: The Final Frontier $17,375,648 $52,210,049 $70,200,000 $30,000,000
12/6/1991 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country $18,162,837 $74,888,996 $96,900,000 $27,000,000
11/18/1994 Star Trek: Generations $23,116,394 $75,671,262 $120,000,000 $38,000,000
11/22/1996 Star Trek: First Contact $30,716,131 $92,027,888 $150,000,000 $46,000,000
12/11/1998 Star Trek: Insurrection $22,052,836 $70,187,658 $117,800,000 $70,000,000
12/13/2002 Star Trek: Nemesis $18,513,305 $43,254,409 $67,312,826 $60,000,000

Wouldn't Disney be more concerned about the new movie franchise taken separately?

The success or failure of the second one will likely make it clear whether the Abram's crew really has resurrected Star Trek as a franchise or whether the first movie succeeded largely in part by being "not a true Trek movie".

Status
Not open for further replies.