Star Trek Into Darkness... Spoilers Ahoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nemesis had pre-industrial aged dune buggies. :troll:
It was also almost on par with Star Trek 5 for worst Star Trek (in my opinion).

I need to watch Star Trek 5 again just to have my brain blown out of the back of my head.

Best part of Star Trek 5? Spock nerve pinching a horse.

Man, if I wanted to I could tear this movie apart. So many problems.

But you know what? It was a shit ton of fun. So I won't. Because I don't care. It won't stand the test of time though. And thats a shame.

It was also almost on par with Star Trek 5 for worst Star Trek (in my opinion).

I need to watch Star Trek 5 again just to have my brain blown out of the back of my head.

Best part of Star Trek 5? Spock nerve pinching a horse.

My husband denies the existence of Star Trek V.

I quite enjoyed the movie. Yes there are definitely plenty of moments that just don't make sense. Well it's a Star Trek movie. They have made about as much sense as an episode of Doctor Who. Always contradicting each other, and explaining the situation away by use of some technical issue that doesn't always make sense. Sometimes you just have to forgive them for these. And I do forgive them for the most part. The Kirk resurrection was forced and seen a mile away. Just too damn convenient for a happy ending. But still. What would the Star Trek movies be without Kirk? I did enjoy the role reversal though. Quinto's "Khaaaaannn" was nice. I give it 4 and a half out of 5 stars. Not a work of art, but I'm sure as hell buying it on Bluray.

EDIT: oops forgot to spoiler tag :oops:
I was dissapointed they decided to use Khan as the villain for the second new movie. I enjoyed the movie as a fun popcorn flick though and I think the paralelling was some of the weaker part of the film. I didn't mind the reactor role reversal bewteeen Spock and Kirk however I would have liked that they changed the tone of how Spock curses Khan's name to be a bit more subdued(but just as angry) to match that Spock is half Vulcan. Oddly enough though the lens flares do not bother me at all.

So, I got to see this movie yesterday when Gatsby wouldn't play (got a free ticket for another time due to technical problems).

My analysis? Not bad for a dumb action movie, but damn was it DUMB. Nothing about it seemed like Star Trek. Kirk especially came across as a frat boy that never puts any thought into anything, never follows protocol, makes 'gut decisions' that gets hundreds killed, and -never- gets into trouble for any of it. Hell, half the time he gets promoted for it.

A dumb captain with a dumb crew saving a dumb universe through dumb luck.

Regarding transporter discrepancies between movies.

After watching the 2009 movie, and considering why Chekov or Scott could not transport Khan and Spock back onto the Enterprise I considered the following. Firstly when they use the transporter to rescue Kirk and Sulu from a freefall, yes they were moving, but they were moving at a consistent velocity. This would allow Chekov to know where they would be mathematically and program the transporter to compensate. In regards to an open brawl on a shuttle they would have to compensate for many other factors as there is no guarantee they will be exactly where the computer calculates them too be since running around hitting each other on a ship that can alter speeds isn't going to be the same to calculate as terminal velocity. The second factor is desperation. With Kirk and Sulu falling you have one chance to get them or they are dead. You screw up the transport they are dead. Either way they are dead and the only possible favorable outcome is to at least try. With the open brawl the major factor was getting Khan alive to save Kirk. If they failed in their attempt to transport him he would die. But if he got away at least they might be able to try to capture him again in the future. So the stakes were very different.

Overall, I enjoyed it. There's tons to nitpick, but I still liked it.

Main nitpick, though. PHASERS DON'T HAVE RECOIL.

Regarding transporter discrepancies between movies.

After watching the 2009 movie, and considering why Chekov or Scott could not transport Khan and Spock back onto the Enterprise I considered the following. Firstly when they use the transporter to rescue Kirk and Sulu from a freefall, yes they were moving, but they were moving at a consistent velocity. This would allow Chekov to know where they would be mathematically and program the transporter to compensate. In regards to an open brawl on a shuttle they would have to compensate for many other factors as there is no guarantee they will be exactly where the computer calculates them too be since running around hitting each other on a ship that can alter speeds isn't going to be the same to calculate as terminal velocity. The second factor is desperation. With Kirk and Sulu falling you have one chance to get them or they are dead. You screw up the transport they are dead. Either way they are dead and the only possible favorable outcome is to at least try. With the open brawl the major factor was getting Khan alive to save Kirk. If they failed in their attempt to transport him he would die. But if he got away at least they might be able to try to capture him again in the future. So the stakes were very different.
You are trying way harder than the writers of the movie did.[DOUBLEPOST=1369636950][/DOUBLEPOST]It always bummed me out that they never elaborated much on Balance of Terror. Even in Next Generation, the Romulans were never REALLY the enemy.

The episode that has both Spock's dad and the dude that tries to cuckold Spock when he's all pon fary playing Romulans.

You are trying way harder than the writers of the movie did.[DOUBLEPOST=1369636950][/DOUBLEPOST]It always bummed me out that they never elaborated much on Balance of Terror. Even in Next Generation, the Romulans were never REALLY the enemy.

The episode that has both Spock's dad and the dude that tries to cuckold Spock when he's all pon fary playing Romulans.
This 10 minute compilation of an episode is way smarter than anything in Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Though, if I were to nitpick, it would be that while I realize they're performing a submarine drama, and such genre requires the tension of being forced to be quiet, they should be able to have a live band playing inside the enterprise, as sound wouldn't travel through space to the other ship.

Though, I suppose that too could be hand waved if the other ship were using laser surface scanners to detect vibration in the enterprise's hull.

This 10 minute compilation of an episode is way smarter than anything in Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Though, if I were to nitpick, it would be that while I realize they're performing a submarine drama, and such genre requires the tension of being forced to be quiet, they should be able to have a live band playing inside the enterprise, as sound wouldn't travel through space to the other ship.

Though, I suppose that too could be hand waved if the other ship were using laser surface scanners to detect vibration in the enterprise's hull.
Yeah, but if that were the case, you'd figure anything being on or any sort of movement within the ship would be as detectable as sound.

It's still one of the best episodes of Star Trek (of all series) in my opinion.

They cut out the racial tension on board the Enterprise between the helmsman and Spock after it's shown that Romulans are Vulcanesque.

Yeah, but if that were the case, you'd figure anything being on or any sort of movement within the ship would be as detectable as sound.

It's still one of the best episodes of Star Trek (of all series) in my opinion.

They cut out the racial tension on board the Enterprise between the helmsman and Spock after it's shown that Romulans are Vulcanesque.
Yeah, I remember that. It was the guy that Spock saved from the coolant leak. He thought that Spock was a spy or a traitor when he found out that Vulcans and Romulans are the same race.

Also, what does Kirk do when they're watching an unknown plasma torpedo coming at them, knowing it could possibly destroy them? Time to grab a blonde yeoman's ass.

Yeah, I remember that. It was the guy that Spock saved from the coolant leak. He thought that Spock was a spy or a traitor when he found out that Vulcans and Romulans are the same race.

Also, what does Kirk do when they're watching an unknown plasma torpedo coming at them, knowing it could possibly destroy them? Time to grab a blonde yeoman's ass.
What was that about Kirk not being portrayed as a frat boy? :p

Just got back from seeing it and I also thought it was a lot of fun.

Yeah some of the plot points were obvious but, lets be honest here, how often has trek truly *surprised* you. Only DS9 ever managed to make me go "Oh shit"---speaking of DS9, the DS9 fanboy in me went SQEEEEEEEE at the mention of Section 31. Now that I've seen this movie, I'm more accustomed to the actors and I still feel they fit their roles pretty well. Also, I don't find their (kirk and spock) friendship unbelievable--after all, didn't future Spock essentially tell them both in the last movie that their relationship is life-changing and important? I figure that's gotta affect something.
w

I enjoyed it in a "turn my brain off" kind of way and that enjoyment is multiplied at the thought of how much some of you guys hated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.