South Africa 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zero

On the invasion of the penalty for paraguay, the team that is kicking the penalty cannot invade, but the other one can, I think. Or something like that.
Not quite, no. Nobody can invade the box before the kick is performed. So, if the attacker team invades and the penalty kick is a goal, the penalty must be redone. And yes, if the defender team invades and the penalty kick isn't a goal (either the keeper gets it or even if the ball misses completely), the penalty must be redone. So, as a rule of thumb, if you want the penalty to go well for your team, whatever it is, don't enter the box before the ball is kicked.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Now, for those who are wondering why Valdez goal was invalidated even if he was clearly onside, the (ridiculously complex) offside rule has a provision for invalidating a goal when an attacker in offside position "takes part in the play" that resulted the goal, even if he don't touch the ball. Of course, what "taking part" means is often left to the ref to adjudicate. Usually, an attacker retreating is ignored for offside purposes, while one reaching for the ball and missing it by inches (like Cardozo did) is not.

Now one can't help but have a bit of sympathy for a ref who needs to make this kind of call in a split second.

You know why I'm glad Argentina's out? Because Maradona said he'd strip naked and run through the streets of Buenos Aires if Argentina won the World Cup. And he's probably crazy enough to do it too. Nobody needs to see that short, fat guy streaking.

I remember a match where an attacking player was in an offside position when his team played the ball in again, to another (onside) team mate. This guy just suddenly stood still, put his hands behind his back, and stared at the sky, while his team mate gathered the ball and scored.

The defending team protested that the attackers had a man offside, but it was pretty obvious he'd made himself unavailable for the attacking play, so the goal stood.

I'm ready for these semi-finals to kick in...weird scene over the weekend I was hanging out with some friends, and in the party was a German national living here in the States and his friend who was visiting...from Spain. There was a lot of good-natured jawing going on and was a lot of fun. Kinda sad I have to work, because I'd love to watch the match with those two.

Germany looks great, but let's see how Spain does without having to deal with a team quite happy to park 8 guys in the box and defend, defend, defend. Germany will be more prone to move the ball forward. Spain of course, has a lot of weapons. Muller being out for that ridiculous yellow card is not going to help Germany, but they have depth.

As for today's game, I've always enjoyed Dutch football, so my heart is with them. But my wallet wants Uruguay. If they or Spain win then I take my WC pool and a nice chunk of cash. At least no matter what I'll do no worse than third.

Netherlands to the final, guaranteeing a European winner in a non-Europe World Cup for the first time ever.

R

rvdleun

Woo!

Now just have German waltz all over Spain and let's have an epic confrontation.

(which Holland should win)

I have Dutch friends who couldn't even spell "FIFA" before last week, but who are oh so uppity about the Netherlands getting to the finals.

It's almost enough to make me hope they don't win. But the real reason I hope they don't win is because I'm rooting for Germany.

Hah. I assumed you were making a snide comment, sort of like "Both Germany and Spain could wipe the floor with the Netherlands, so the real final is today."

Hah. I assumed you were making a snide comment, sort of like "Both Germany and Spain could wipe the floor with the Netherlands, so the real final is today."
THAT too :p

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Spain being in the final was meant as a joke... But it isn't anymore. I just heard Pedro is playing instead of Torres. NOW we're talking!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Go Netherlands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Oh Spain, how I hate you right now...

First, you eliminated Germany. Last week I memorised and practiced the Deutschlandlied, just for the expected occasion of a german victory. Alas, that was not to be. I could forgive you for that, as that was simply a game.

But today... The cute dutch-born girl at our regular bar had promised to streak across the street and the next square if Holland won. We had everything prepared. We had gotten permission from the bartender/owner for the launch. More importantly, I was to be the one who would have been waiting on the other side with a bathrobe for her, a rather skimpy bathrobe I had found and brought along just for the occasion. And she would have done it.

And then you had to go and ruin it all.

I cannot express the depth of my contempt for you right now.

@TommiR - My condolences. I guess Spain and Paul the Octopus are in your Book of Grudges for eternity, right?
Thank you. Oh, I suppose I'll eventually get over it. Plenty of cute fish in the sea, dutch college students or otherwise.

But the fact that Spain now owes me 14 euros for a bathrobe, that's a sticking point.

Status
Not open for further replies.