Sochi Winter Olympics General Thread.

I want a thread about the stories happening at the Olympics, "Up Close and Personal"

Please no spoilers, I imagine most people will watch these games at least on the prime time shows, I'll DVR all that I can and watch them into the wee hours. There are several sports sites that give results.

My first story, a Mexican Ski Jumper is participating at his 5th Olympics and he is going out in style...

Two members of the US women's curling team are from Wisconsin, including Debbie McCormick, the vice skip from Rio (RYE-oh).

By the way: I've driven through Rio. It's not much of a town.

I thought that picture was from The Onion or something like it?

I love the Olympics. I don't know what it is about them, but summer or winter, I'm an addict. I was literally watching the London games when I was giving birth to my son. (Men's volleyball, iirc.) Then again, now that cable plays the events 24 hours a day, it's a little hard not to get obsessed. Or maybe it's the sleep deprivation talking. :confused:

Of course, they list events in 24-hour time, so you'd still need to subtract 12 from the start time.

The curling class I took in college was one of the funnest classes I've ever taken. I really need to join a local club. It's a surprisingly fun sport.

I wonder if NBC will fix that in post production, or simply not show it, using other camera angles and cuts. Or just show enough of it to acknowledge that it happened, but spend very little time on it...

I thought this one was supposed to be. :(
Also, not too much has happened yet. As of last night, we only got some highlights from the slope style, the moguls and team skate. No medals yet. The only thing I can say is that I preferred Canada's pairs skate to Russia's, even though Russia scored higher. The Canada pair just seemed to be more relaxed and enjoying it, although I know that doesn't win you points.

GasBandit

Staff member
So this guy Shiva Keshavan, in the luge event, crashed his luge... and managed to remount and continue.

What's worse than women's cross country skiing? The commentators for women's cross country skiing. You just can't make some things sound interesting.

Every time they announce the height of the trails in the downhill events (ski jump, downhill ski, etc.), my stomach knots up.I HATE heights. I know it's a gradual descent, but starting at a height of 3 Empire State Buildings...? :puke:

I wonder if NBC will fix that in post production, or simply not show it, using other camera angles and cuts. Or just show enough of it to acknowledge that it happened, but spend very little time on it...
Not NBC, but the Russian broadcast...
Konstantin Ernst, executive creative director of the opening ceremony, told reporters at a news conference that he called down to master control to tell them to go the practice footage when he realized what happened.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...tion-mars-sochi-opening-ceremo/#ixzz2stQQkLEm
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/7/olympic-ring-malfunction-mars-sochi-opening-ceremo/