So... what's up with this Windows 10 thing?

@Amy, when I upgraded the laptop, Windows 10 was ready to install from Windows Update. No such luck with the desktop. I had to go here and download the tool to get the installation done.

The only hiccup I had was that I had to re-install my nVidia drivers after the upgrade. Other than that, absolutely no problems.

Strangely, I didn't have to do that on my "media PC" downstairs, which has another nVidia card. Different card yes, but still, both "not new" cards that had their drivers both up-to-date prior to upgrade.

*shrug*

Otherwise, it's been fine.

The only hiccup I had was that I had to re-install my nVidia drivers after the upgrade. Other than that, absolutely no problems.

Strangely, I didn't have to do that on my "media PC" downstairs, which has another nVidia card. Different card yes, but still, both "not new" cards that had their drivers both up-to-date prior to upgrade..
My guess, it's the difference between WDDM 1.3 (DX11) and WDDM 2.0 drivers. If you're using a card that's DX12-capable, you might have to reinstall to enable WDDM 2.0 function.

Just a note, also.
Seems there are emails going around that say, "It's finally your turn to download and install Windows 10!" but really they are variants of Cryptolocker, so keep an eye out to make sure you and your friends/family don't fall victim.

--Patrick

Main desktop install complete. And an actual hiccup. Would not install from Windows Update. Had to download the media creation tool and run to upgrade "this PC". Everything proceeded normally from that point.
@DarkAudit okay, apparently my account marked this as "I need this explained to me." I don't recall actively doing so, so I can only assume I butt dialed did it in my sleep or I've been having more black outs than I thought I did. In any case, apologies.

So far it seems to be working pretty well. The biggest hiccup I had updating was that the Nvidia Experience app no longer works, but not like I used it that much. The only major gripe I have is getting used to the new positions in the UI, but I don't really blame it for that, it's just a given I have to relearn a bit. Been oddly impressed with how fast Cortana has been finding what I ask, and overall the system feels like it's running a lot faster. Once I learn the inner-workings a bit more, I think this will be a successful upgrade to Windows 7.

So far it seems to be working pretty well. The biggest hiccup I had updating was that the Nvidia Experience app no longer works, but not like I used it that much. The only major gripe I have is getting used to the new positions in the UI, but I don't really blame it for that, it's just a given I have to relearn a bit. Been oddly impressed with how fast Cortana has been finding what I ask, and overall the system feels like it's running a lot faster. Once I learn the inner-workings a bit more, I think this will be a successful upgrade to Windows 7.
Seriously, uninstall everything Nvidia related and reinstall. The drivers are somewhat broken if you just let it update on it's own.

I reserved my Windows 10 and it's trying to upgrade it now. But I don't want to upgrade yet. Is there an ideal way to tell Windows "hold up, don't upgrade yet"?

I reserved my Windows 10 and it's trying to upgrade it now. But I don't want to upgrade yet. Is there an ideal way to tell Windows "hold up, don't upgrade yet"?
During the process, I was asked "do you want to schedule the upgrade for a later time?" but it only gave me the choice of up to 2 days in the future.

Then, when I shut down my machine, it upgraded anyway. I guess I was supposed to leave it on for those two days. Heh.

I shut my computer off every night. Do you know what kind of heat that thing can generate?

Besides, it takes all of 10 seconds for it to boot up again.

GasBandit

Staff member
I shut my computer off every night. Do you know what kind of heat that thing can generate?

I like to not have to sit and wait for steam to finish downloading patches before I play something.

10 seconds? Pffft :p

It literally takes my screen longer to power up than my PC to go to "ready and waiting on the desktop" mode. When it was new it was 3.4 seconds...Now I guess it's a bit longer :p

People turn off their computers???
I wish!

I've checked to see how long some of the computers I've serviced have been on without a restart. I've seen 200+ days. One coworker says he's seen over a thousand, and I have no reason to doubt him. "It's getting slow and some things don't work right." "You do realize you have to restart after an update, right?"

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
You just put it to sleep when you're not actively using it?

--Patrick
Of course not, that'd be inane. All the drawbacks of shutting down with none of the benefits.

Only the monitor shuts off (automatically after 10 mins of disuse). Everything else stays at 100% BABY

Of course not, that'd be inane. All the drawbacks of shutting down with none of the benefits.

Only the monitor shuts off (automatically after 10 mins of disuse). Everything else stays at 100% BABY
Just the idea of your machine being at 100% ALL THE TIME even though nobody can see it. Well, at least it's ready at a moment's notice.

--Patrick

Just the idea of your machine being at 100% ALL THE TIME even though nobody can see it. Well, at least it's ready at a moment's notice.

--Patrick
Americans really and honestly still need an ecological mind shift if they think it's a good idea to leave a computer running at 100% the whole time. No offense (to Gas and Amy and whoever), but most people here would realise that's a complete and utter waste of energy for no sensible benefit.

GasBandit

Staff member

--Patrick
Americans really and honestly still need an ecological mind shift if they think it's a good idea to leave a computer running at 100% the whole time. No offense (to Gas and Amy and whoever), but most people here would realise that's a complete and utter waste of energy for no sensible benefit.
I remote login to my machines pretty frequently actually.

So... any ideas on how to tell Windows to delay the update?
That's part of the point of the new system, that you can't. Too many were just never updating. Yes this is a case of the mass of idiots impacting those who were doing it right, but IMO it isn't that hard a pill to swallow.

Edit: or did you mean the upgrade? No idea there. I thought you meant Windows updates.

So I guess I have Windows ten now on my Mac boot camp drive....

how do I make Cortana actually speak? ( As opposed to just display text?)

GasBandit

Staff member
So I guess I have Windows ten now on my Mac boot camp drive....

how do I make Cortana actually speak? ( As opposed to just display text?)
I don't have windows 10 yet, so I can't test for myself, but googling around, I saw that Cortana seems to only respond out loud to verbal commands - if you type to her, she "types" back.

That said, there are other people who have the problem where Cortana doesn't speak no matter what, and it turned out to be a sound card driver issue... at least for the few who managed to fix it. More than half those who I read complaining about it have yet to be able to fix it.

GasBandit

Staff member
YOU MEAN I HAVE TO TALK TO HER IF I WANT HER TO TALK TO ME? WHAT IS THIS, REAL LIFE?!
What, you too good to talk to Cortana? Just close your eyes and pretend she's Siri. And be glad she isn't Jane from "Ok Google"/Google Now.