So... what's up with this Windows 10 thing?

I believe it's anything you type that you have Cortana enabled to respond to, because that text goes to Microsoft to process what Cortana will do.
Because I'm in Canada I can't access Cortana (Edit: yet. We're in the next batch of countries to get her supposedly). Not sure what she can/does respond to. Is she always-on? Thus can you talk to her/it at any time, in any game if you have a mic? Or only if you click something is she set up to respond?

Because I'm in Canada I can't access Cortana (Edit: yet. We're in the next batch of countries to get her supposedly). Not sure what she can/does respond to. Is she always-on? Thus can you talk to her/it at any time, in any game if you have a mic? Or only if you click something is she set up to respond?
If she's so configured, you activate her with "hey Cortana, (request)" or click on the microphone next to the search box and speak.

Dave

Staff member
I still want to see how that conversation ended. Did it "mysteriously" get disconnected? Did the user rage quit? Did the MS guy finally understand? Did Scooby pull the mask off and find out it was Old Man Murphy all along?

To be fair, 5 minutes of googling told me that
1- the free upgrade does not give you an actual Windows 10 product key
2- there is apparently a legit way to do what the guy was trying to do: upgrade, register your computer on Microsoft servers THEN do a fresh install.

The tech guy is facepalmingly stupid though

They both are. You could tell the person with the issue knew what the tech support person wanted. He was doing the stereotypical nerd thing and making it harder than it needed to be so that he could laugh at how stupid tech support was. People like that annoy the hell out of me.

I disagree, because there are plenty of people with just enough technical know-how to get by, but not enough to make life easy for tech support. So, someone working tech support should still understand how key pullers work, and also know that Win10 is stupid about keys.

GasBandit

Staff member
The craziest shit with win 10...

I can't ping another computer on the network by its name. Unless I ping its IP address... then for a little while I can ping it by name, map network shares from it, etc. But after a while, it "forgets" the other computers.

The craziest shit with win 10...

I can't ping another computer on the network by its name. Unless I ping its IP address... then for a little while I can ping it by name, map network shares from it, etc. But after a while, it "forgets" the other computers.
ARP cache-related?
WinX computer firewall?

Wish I knew more about WinX without having to install it. I will say that I learned how to get it to stop nagging me about upgrading to WinX.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Not sure about the cache, but first thing I did was disable the firewall. Didn't help. Also tried switching from homegroup based authentication to user/pass. Didn't help.

GasBandit

Staff member
Consulted with our engineer, he says in all the windows 10 instances he's been forced to deal with, he had no choice but to go static IPs on all machines (no dhcp) and use local host files on every machine.

What bullshit.

Consulted with our engineer, he says in all the windows 10 instances he's been forced to deal with, he had no choice but to go static IPs on all machines (no dhcp) and use local host files on every machine.
Can't he just use DHCP reservations and/or local DNS instead? Or do they not want to go through with all that?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Can't he just use DHCP reservations and/or local DNS instead? Or do they not want to go through with all that?

--Patrick
I don't think most of his clients want to spring for their own DNS server when their router "already does that." Besides, it's a fix that shouldn't be needed. NetBIOS should resolve local network computer names, IMO.

Wouldn't that just be because they need to update the app to work with WinX?
Otherwise you might want to pack a flash drive with CPU-Z or other alternatives in the meanwhile.

--Pateick

GasBandit

Staff member
Wouldn't that just be because they need to update the app to work with WinX?
Otherwise you might want to pack a flash drive with CPU-Z or other alternatives in the meanwhile.

--Pateick
No OS update should EVER assume it is OK to uninstall software "for me."

Microsoft is getting pretty pushy about this Windows 10 thing. Can't turn on my computer without getting that big upgrade message. So, basically, I guess it's decision time.

For those of you with Windows 10, would you recommend it as an upgrade over Windows 7?

GasBandit

Staff member
Microsoft is getting pretty pushy about this Windows 10 thing. Can't turn on my computer without getting that big upgrade message. So, basically, I guess it's decision time.

For those of you with Windows 10, would you recommend it as an upgrade over Windows 7?
I'm still of the opinion windows 7 ain't broke, so no reason to fix it. If you plan to get a new computer around 2020 (Windows 7's "end of life" date), I'm of an opinion one might as well stick it out.

You might consider it if you're on 8 though, seems a little better. Some people are still making noises about the privacy/data mining concerns though, but really, I don't think MS is doing anything google isn't already doing without asking you. My big gripe with win 10 is the universal app stupidity, but that's not really a factor in this decision, I think.

My big gripe with win 10 is the universal app stupidity, but that's not really a factor in this decision, I think.
Which stuff? I know what a UA is, but which stupidity? Only releasing them on the win 10 store, difficulty of benchmarking such games, or what?