So... what's up with this Windows 10 thing?

Now that's how you re-establish market dominance.

Also, I smell Windows 11 coming out a year later, with no free upgrade.
What they're moving to is something like android. You buy it once with a new computer and all future updates and new releases are free. As long as your device meets the minimum requirements.

GasBandit

Staff member
What they're moving to is something like android. You buy it once with a new computer and all future updates and new releases are free. As long as your device meets the minimum requirements.
Now that you mention it, I remember something about that. Nevermind.

But the universal law still exists - everybody pays for something. If you're not paying for something you get, you're what's actually being sold. They'll monetize this somehow, mark my words.

Most likely they're doing it to get people on to the new pricing model. They don't want people clinging to their copy of 7 like they did xp.

Now that you mention it, I remember something about that. Nevermind.

But the universal law still exists - everybody pays for something. If you're not paying for something you get, you're what's actually being sold. They'll monetize this somehow, mark my words.
Make Win 10 work well with Windows Phone
Give Win 10 away for free
Try to lure people back to Windows Phone instead of Android
????
Profit.

Apps. They are likely betting on being able to profit off a windows app store that they get a 30% cut of all software sales that works on their systems. Just like Apple and Google.

GasBandit

Staff member
My recent experience with Lollipop has got me upgrade shy. I intend to wait a little bit to see how the upgrades go for the early adopters.

Has there been any particularly bad news out of the preview builds besides the reasonable level of bugginess that entails?

GasBandit

Staff member
Has there been any particularly bad news out of the preview builds besides the reasonable level of bugginess that entails?
Not that I've heard, but I didn't hear anything bad about lollipop either until I started googling the problems I was having.

I won't be upgrading. I haven't read anything that makes me need to. I haven't used (although it's available on separate partitions) windows 7 on either of my computers for months.

I'mma gonna stay right where I'm at, but I tip my hat to those of you who move.

GasBandit

Staff member
Heck, my work PC is still running windows XP. But at home, I've got 7. And although I don't have a compelling reason to upgrade to 10, the day might come when there's a compelling reason to upgrade to 11, or 12, or 13 (though I hear they're doing away with numbers after this), and this is the ticket into getting on that train for free.

Signing up for a reservation isn't as bad as "UPGRADE NAO" notice.

What's concerning is that Norton Internet Security apparently is incompatible with WinX.

GasBandit

Staff member
Signing up for a reservation isn't as bad as "UPGRADE NAO" notice.

What's concerning is that Norton Internet Security apparently is incompatible with WinX.
What's REALLY concerning is somebody is apparently still using Norton.

I am not sure whether my current machine (which will finally be upgraded from XPPro to Win7 Pro) will be compatible with WinX.
This is not to say my next one won't be.

--Patrick

AV companies are horribly slow at updating to new versions of Windows. The 64 bit switch was horrible. That was their one big mistake. The lack of a solution from them made people realize Windows defender was all you needed. Plus it didn't suck resources like a $5 whore.

No windows media center and no native DVD player? Seriously? I don't really care about the lack of DVD support, but losing Media Center just seems dumb.

No windows media center and no native DVD player? Seriously? I don't really care about the lack of DVD support, but losing Media Center just seems dumb.
What's the point? Nobody has their own movies any more, everything is streamed. There's no reason for you to keep a local copy of a movie any more. Got that? Absolutely none! You will not have local copies of movies in any form!

--Patrick

What happens when that one place that had that one movie you watched over and over goes under? Or where you had a library of streamed movies that no one else had? Bye bye movies. Too bad you didn't think to get a physical copy, because it's just gone out of print.

Anyone remember Musicmatch? When they vanished, so did your keys to their DRM-locked tracks you bought.

I have approximately 2TB of movies I stream locally to my tv off of my pc. I like having the digital copies.

What happens when that one place that had that one movie you watched over and over goes under? Or where you had a library of streamed movies that no one else had? Bye bye movies. Too bad you didn't think to get a physical copy, because it's just gone out of print.

Anyone remember Musicmatch? When they vanished, so did your keys to their DRM-locked tracks you bought.
I bet @PatrThom gets sad when people miss his sarcasm.

Yes.
That was kind of my point.
But that's not what the industry wants. They want you to pay for it every time you consume.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
There's always VLC for your PC, and Videostream for your chromecast. Really, I get annoyed whenever windows media player/center opens up.

They aren't removing features, they are just rightsizing their app list.
The amount of programs is experiencing a negative growth trend.

Dave

Staff member
So if I were to do this would it format my drive, I wonder? And how many of my current programs will still work? The world wants to know!

So if I were to do this would it format my drive, I wonder? And how many of my current programs will still work? The world wants to know!
Previous times I've updated to a new windows OS, it has never required the formatting of the drive.