So. The move. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it does. And even if it did, would we take that person seriously? Probably not. Which is exactly my point.
You're saying that's a bad thing? Damn right I don't take anyone seriously who joins just to wag their finger.

Charlie tried that...and we assimilated him. :twisted:

Now, join and try to raise the level of debate (as this hypothetical person would do), by posting and making new threads, that I respect.

I don't think it does. And even if it did, would we take that person seriously? Probably not. Which is exactly my point.
You're saying that's a bad thing? Damn right I don't take anyone seriously who joins just to wag their finger.[/QUOTE]

Not saying that it's a bad thing. If someone joined like that, I'd dismiss them myself. What I'm saying is that nobody actually does that, so we don't really have any way to monitor how many people pass us over because of negative attitudes. There could be people who browse the forums and go "Wow. What a bunch of dicks." and move on.

Maybe we're better for not having those people, but you never know. I just don't want to contribute to an atmosphere of dickery that might turn potentially awesome community-members away, and I would have assumed that anybody who cares about Halforums as a community would want the same.

EDIT: Maybe I should clarify, because sometimes my position gets lost while I'm off playing the devil's advocate:

There have been a few rude posts, but I don't think it drags the community down in any measurable way. I don't think that people would be turned off from us because of the dickery that occasionally happens. But, if a forum member complains that he is seeing a few assholes that drag us down, then it means that some lurkers and visitors probably are as well. And that is worth consideration, even if in the end the consensus is "whatever."

A

Andromache

Well... for my part, I've tried to be less of a dick. And not scare people off my depantsing myself.
thats just it though. you're changing in the hopes that more people will find you acceptable. No matter what you do, you cant please everyone. Some people will whine about it either way. If people are going to whine if the forum isn't ____ enough, or that it's too _____ and we actually consider the view points of these people at all, then it becomes a game of who do we appease?

Personally as long as I am on the net, people will bitch. In fact they'll bitch if I'm not here too, so I might as well do what I want and suffer the consequences. I'd much rather have fun with five friends than be bored to tears in a crowd of hundreds too polite to be themselves.

Again, I'm not saying you have to love everyone, but how can 2 people you dislike drown out the enjoyment you get from the discussion of the other 30? I'd be with you if it were the other way around... but 2 over 30?
Like I said, I have a thick skin, if anyone actually manages to really get to me that the only option is to ignore them and then another shows up and gets to me again, for me, that's an indicator to pack up and leave before it gets worse.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way about another forum I was on before this one. There were these two highly active posters who were very racist individuals, but because they were never aggressively hostile about it, and never posted any racial slurs they could get away with saying just about anything about a minority because they always presented it as an "argument" instead of just racist ramblings. Those two people were able to bring down the whole forum experience for me because I associated everyone else with those two guys. Even when I put them on ignore it didn't help because they posted so much and were quoted so much I still had to wade through their crap to read most threads.

I think leaving that environment and moving on was a good idea for me. I haven't looked back and now am in a place where I enjoy the people and even when someone does get on my nerves enough I can just ignore them for a spell until I get over it and un-ignore them.

You're saying that's a bad thing? Damn right I don't take anyone seriously who joins just to wag their finger.

Charlie tried that...and we assimilated him. :twisted:

Now, join and try to raise the level of debate (as this hypothetical person would do), by posting and making new threads, that I respect.

ffffft. I still do my fair share calling out stupidity, I'm just too lazy to go at the same clip I did over the holidays

I just don't want to contribute to an atmosphere of dickery that might turn potentially awesome community-members away, and I would have assumed that anybody who cares about Halforums as a community would want the same.
So don't contribute to it then. Be one of the posters that draws in potentially awesome community members.

This place is what it is and while obviously I'm interested in maintaining some level of civility, I'm not interesting in nice-ing down the place just to attract more people. I don't want this place turned into a tragedy of the commons, so to speak, in either direction.

You know, regarding people being dicks and driving potential members away, am I the only one who thinks the level of discourse here is vastly more polite than it used to be on halfpixel, let alone the old Image forums? Granted, I don't read every thread, but it's not like there's been a lot of drama or flaming, has there? I mean, even the recent thread on gay marriage was fairly low-key.

I don't think the problem is a matter of dickery, so much as the forum has become too insular what with all the moves, and a certain amount of "familiarity breeds contempt."

To be fair, you can also ask what, exactly, drives people away.
Some people won't like Shego or Crone's approach to new members or to certain people (which boils down to "let's eat them alive and see if they survive). Some people do like it. Some people are probably incredibly annoyed by people like me, who just goof around in most threads and, even in the serious discussions, rarely bother to post a serious opinion, instead staying to the easier lamme humor side of things. Some people will really dislike the image macros. Some people...etc.

What I have seen personally, though, is that this board has, compared to a month or so ago, seriously slowed down during the off peak time slots. Being, when I'm around. The total level of activity is still pretty high, but it's been three days in a row now that it went for well over half an hour without a single reply, anywhere....Yes, at hours like 5:30 am and whatnot, and you may not notice or care, but it's really visible. Some time zones are dieing out :-(

I don't think the problem is a matter of dickery, so much as the forum has become too insular what with all the moves, and a certain amount of "familiarity breeds contempt."
Well said.

As far as activity levels, that's been discussed before. Summer's ending, people are going back to school or finishing up vacations, etc. I hardly think half an hour without a reply spells the end of the forum.

Nor did I imply it was. Just a general trend over the past fe days/weeks that certain time zones have really slowed down, while others have become more active. yes, it probably does have to do a lot with people returning to school and such, but it's still a downside - once a certain time zone cools off, it's hard to get new people in that time zone, too, after all.

...and we Europeans rule :humph:

I.. haven't seen any particular "approach" to new members from either... they're more of a context-sensitive approach, like, y'know, most of everyone's.

I cannot understand what this whining is all about. Is it fear that this forum will die a slow and painful death and will be forgotten in the cold vast lands of cyberspace?

That ain't happening. A temporary cool down in certain time zones... is, as the name implies... Temporary.

Take me for an example: I got my times, when I post on a semi-regular basis, then on the other hand, when real life needs my full attention, I got times I post quite scarcely or not at all.

But I'd never change myself or play somebody I'm not, just to attract new forumites - that would spoil my "halforum-experience" more than a cooling down of the forums...

Yeah, and to conclude my valuable post, I give you boobies:

K

Kitty Sinatra

I.. haven't seen any particular "approach" to new members from either... they're more of a context-sensitive approach, like, y'know, most of everyone's.
Bubble's not talking about a formal "approach" but rather the first few replies that a new poster receives.

If Crone and Shego are among the first or more vocal to respond, that new poster is most likely gonna get a face full their shtick; If it's a political thread, that new poster is gonna be ganged up on something fierce by the looney lefties or shouted down so hard by Gassy; meanwhile if Bubs and I are the first or most vocal, that new poster is gonna get a bunch of lame jokes.

It's not an approach, so much as his natural welcome. And any one of these "approaches" could turn off the new poster or draw him further in.

J

JCM

to us Ents, you're not really old guard. :p

Now send me an inspiring PM, dammit.
Funny thing is I'm as old as any of the members still around, Gas, You, JCM. I just didn't post. I was under the username "Hibiki" and witnessed the entire Zod incidents and KryptonKrew like everyonelse. :slywink:[/QUOTE]

you kept your mouth shut, therefore you did not exist. If you did not exist, you did not matter. A point which will come up again, I'm sure. You will pass away from my gaze, and cease to matter.[/QUOTE]Remind me to never ever piss you off.

Funny thing is I'm as old as any of the members still around, Gas, You, JCM. I just didn't post. I was under the username "Hibiki" and witnessed the entire Zod incidents and KryptonKrew like everyonelse. :slywink:[/quote]

you kept your mouth shut, therefore you did not exist. If you did not exist, you did not matter. A point which will come up again, I'm sure. You will pass away from my gaze, and cease to matter.[/quote]Remind me to never ever piss you off.[/QUOTE]

Hibiki? Like, DAN Hibiki?

A

Andromache

Funny thing is I'm as old as any of the members still around, Gas, You, JCM. I just didn't post. I was under the username "Hibiki" and witnessed the entire Zod incidents and KryptonKrew like everyonelse. :slywink:[/QUOTE]

you kept your mouth shut, therefore you did not exist. If you did not exist, you did not matter. A point which will come up again, I'm sure. You will pass away from my gaze, and cease to matter.[/QUOTE]Remind me to never ever piss you off.[/QUOTE]

hilariously, I would say the same for you. except that watching you foam and roar like Chewbacca is worth it.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Capcom_vs._SNK/Characters/Hibiki

Back when I still played competitive fighting games in tournaments, I played her pretty exclusively and was one of the few that could pull off her A-Groove with precision consistantly. Hibiki was a name I had began using on forums/gaming sites/email etc for a very long time afterwards too. The only exception was instances of using Trish, but Hibiki was definitely more dominant for a good while.

Back when I still played competitive fighting games in tournaments, I played her pretty exclusively and was one of the few that could pull off her A-Groove with precision consistantly. Hibiki was a name I had began using on forums/gaming sites/email etc for a very long time afterwards too. The only exception was instances of using Trish, but Hibiki was definitely more dominant for a good while.[/QUOTE]

I was more of a Dan/Rugal/Joe Higashi team guy myself... but then again, I only played Capcom vs. SNK2.

Back when I still played competitive fighting games in tournaments, I played her pretty exclusively and was one of the few that could pull off her A-Groove with precision consistantly. Hibiki was a name I had began using on forums/gaming sites/email etc for a very long time afterwards too. The only exception was instances of using Trish, but Hibiki was definitely more dominant for a good while.[/QUOTE]

I was more of a Dan/Rugal/Joe Higashi team guy myself... but then again, I only played Capcom vs. SNK2.[/QUOTE]

I always liked Ken/Iori/Joe myself, sometimes swapping in Sakura or Yuri for Joe, though I was still working on getting better with Yuri. Sadly CvSNK2 doesn't play on my 360.

I was talking about CvS2.

CvS2 was one of the few games were my "fun" characters were also highly competitve tournament level characters as well.

Dan is ALWAYS competitive in the right hands. It's just that he requires so much practice to work with that he's usually not worth the trouble when their are easier characters.

J

JCM

Funny thing is I'm as old as any of the members still around, Gas, You, JCM. I just didn't post. I was under the username "Hibiki" and witnessed the entire Zod incidents and KryptonKrew like everyonelse. :slywink:[/quote]

you kept your mouth shut, therefore you did not exist. If you did not exist, you did not matter. A point which will come up again, I'm sure. You will pass away from my gaze, and cease to matter.[/quote]Remind me to never ever piss you off.[/quote]

hilariously, I would say the same for you. except that watching you foam and roar like Chewbacca is worth it.[/QUOTE]Well, its a strange fetish, the 2girls1cup of drool crowd, but who am I to judge?

A

Andromache

you know, you can try real hard to make the connection between drool and 2g1c, but I aint gonna. Instead I'm going to remember the years of sheer raging joy you've brought me with your endless, tireless intent on not only have the last word, but using the last word to cut your opponents up into pieces and make their families choke on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.