So. The move. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

But we love you. I for one would miss you.
This.[/QUOTE]

This x 2.

Also, I can sympathize with what the Troll is saying. While I'm not yet tempted to leave the forum, there is a small but vocal minority of posters here who, I feel, make the place less attractive as a whole. I don't know if that's what Troll feels has changed about this place, but it's what I personally feel.[/QUOTE]

GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE NERD!

But we love you. I for one would miss you.
This.[/QUOTE]

This x 2.

Also, I can sympathize with what the Troll is saying. While I'm not yet tempted to leave the forum, there is a small but vocal minority of posters here who, I feel, make the place less attractive as a whole. I don't know if that's what Troll feels has changed about this place, but it's what I personally feel.[/QUOTE]

The problem with stating that is that it presents no solutions.

"Some of you are real assholes who ruin it for me, but whatever. "

Well, gee, uhm, thanks, have a nice day.[/QUOTE]

What would you suggest? That I name the people in question? Propose that "no being an asshole" is added to the forum rules? Become an asshole myself in retaliation?

Like I said, I don't feel like leaving the forum quite yet, I consider this place my home online. I recognize that I do not have the right to dictate what others can and cannot post here, so when I read something I find distasteful, I exercise my right to scroll past it. I just miss the days when I didn't have to consistently move past the posts of certain individuals, back when even the snarkiest of assholes had something of value to contribute and some measure of respect for their fellow forumites.

Oh, and if it makes you feel better, you're definitely not one of the people I'm talking about. :D

EDIT: Nor is Chaz, he amuses me.

A

Andromache

my whole point is that vague complaints like that only serve to create more tension than solve it.

"there is a small group of unnamed, could be anyone assholes here ruining it for me. Rather than try to deal with the problem via ignore, I'm just going to post that this place as a whole kinda stinks because of these few unnamed could be anyone vocal minorities."

I mean, if you feel that way, fine, just leave the party. No harm done, really. You'll note that AmE hit the "solution" on the head before I did.

The forum as a whole is hardly "ruined" for me. After all, I recognize the vast majority of people here are not asshats.

As for the ignore function, I've considered using it, but personally I prefer to just physically ignore the posts I don't like. After all, the final result is the same, but one involves less clicking. :D

Anyway, that's all I feel like saying on the subject, it sounds like I'm complaining vigorously about something that I really only intended to mention in passing, as a personal opinion.

A

Andromache

"my personal passing opinion of you is that you're an asshole."

not really, but the point is anytime you state something that can offend others, even in passing, expect a reaction. Kinda along the lines of Shego's point about A Troll's posts.

In that case, let me apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my in-passing remark. I honestly did not intend any offense, and I deliberately did not name any names because I felt that would be inappropriate, and I didn't want anyone to think I'm directing my comments at him or her in particular.

Ok, NOW I'm done.

There's this wonderful ignore function though. ;)
That only works up to a point though. Since we're a small community, if you put a couple of guys on ignore you'll quickly lose out completely on a lot of discussions, which makes going to the forum rather useless.

I think that if I'm going to be annoyed enough to put more then 1 of you guys on ignore, I'd just make my exit.

A

Andromache

There's this wonderful ignore function though. ;)
That only works up to a point though. Since we're a small community, if you put a couple of guys on ignore you'll quickly lose out completely on a lot of discussions, which makes going to the forum rather useless.

I think that if I'm going to be annoyed enough to put more then 1 of you guys on ignore, I'd just make my exit.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I guess all I can say to a person like that is "bye."

No one is forcing anyone to stay, nor are we all automatons here to amuse each other.

A certain crowd exists here, and not everyone is going to like everyone, but if a person demands absolute pleasure from everyone or else they're leaving, well, I hope they have have fun in Somewhere Elseville.

I think it's a real mistake to try to see this place as something for everyone. Yes, cliques do suck, and in the end destroy themselves, but if you can't hack putting two narglenuts on ignore, then I don't know what to tell you. I mean hell, I put several people on ignore, and that improved my forum experiences.

To each his/her own, personally I don't like coming into a topic and missing half of the posts and thus, half of the discussion. It's why I never put anyone on ignore and I have a pretty thick skin, but if it does come to a point where the very existence of other people on the forum begins to bug me I don't see the point in staying around.

A

Andromache

the very reason I stick around isn't because no one bugs me, but that certain people interest me enough above the mindless shit drivel of the annoyance makers that I find value in sticking around. And the ignore button makes that so much easier.

I mean I see your point if EVERYONE gets to be an annoying arsetard, but it'd take more than 1 or two.

I can't fathom that mindset either... are 2 people you dislike really stronger the other 20+ you like?

It's not like threads are a connected sequence of conversation where if you miss one post you can't make sense of the following ones. That's exactly why there's a quote function, even, so you can know WHEN you need to have read someone else's post.

To be frank, I don't have any real connection with any of you. The reason I lurked and started posting is because I enjoy reading the discussions ya'll have / had. So if I get a couple of people that really detract from my enjoyment here, there is very little to actually keep me here.
In fact, the reason I ended up here is because I got really tired of another forum when it started to have a couple of really annoying people that made reading or participating in discussions a drag.

Again, I'm not saying you have to love everyone, but how can 2 people you dislike drown out the enjoyment you get from the discussion of the other 30? I'd be with you if it were the other way around... but 2 over 30?

Dave

Staff member
We're the same people we were. Just the colors and forum software are different.

Now, if we start bringing in more people and they turn out to be annoying then we'll deal with it. But I'd hate to see anyone leave because everyone brings something to the table in discussions.

I think that if I'm going to be annoyed enough to put more then 1 of you guys on ignore, I'd just make my exit.
That seems rather extreme, but if you must, you must.

I've ignored and unignored people as need be, like when I just can't stand listening to so-and-so, and then a week or so later I take them off the list again. I've had more than 1 person on ignore. The forum didn't vanish into thin air.

I guess I just don't have a problem being in a community where I don't love or agree with everyone.

A

Andromache

what I don't get is the guy who doesn't really give a damn is taking effort to explain.... why he doesn't give a damn and could take it or leave it if one of us sneezes in his salad?

To each his own. If someone doesn't like the community, then I suppose he'd be better off out of it.

What annoys me more is people (not just in this thread) who don't like "the direction of things" or "how the forum is going" or other vagueries, and then decline to offer specifics or a possible solution. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that way.

Again, I'm not saying you have to love everyone, but how can 2 people you dislike drown out the enjoyment you get from the discussion of the other 30? I'd be with you if it were the other way around... but 2 over 30?
Like I said, I have a thick skin, if anyone actually manages to really get to me that the only option is to ignore them and then another shows up and gets to me again, for me, that's an indicator to pack up and leave before it gets worse.

A

Andromache

To each his own. If someone doesn't like the community, then I suppose he'd be better off out of it.

What annoys me more is people (not just in this thread) who don't like "the direction of things" or "how the forum is going" or other vagueries, and then decline to offer specifics or a possible solution. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that way.
this x10

K

Kitty Sinatra

Wow... I didn't think there were that many whiners here :eek:rly:
Just so you're not surprised again, this is how many whiners there are, and how many times they've whined:

Halforums Statistics:

I'm not sure why everyone is jumping on the 'there are a few people here who devalue the experience a little bit' people. Seeing as all of these changes we're doing was to attract new members, I'd have thought we'd take such things a bit more seriously. It's a perfectly valid thing to say, and he wasn't even a dick about it, so I'm not sure the harsher criticism is warranted.

Does it come off as thin-skinned? Yes. But if one registered poster is saying these things, there are probably a few lurkers and potential posters who are thinking along the same lines.

Does it come off as thin-skinned? Yes. But if one registered poster is saying these things, there are probably a few lurkers and potential posters who are thinking along the same lines.
... who are all MORE than welcome to complain themselves. By registering... and posting. They aren't Nelson families and one active poster doesn't equal 1,000 non-active posters.

I'm not sure why everyone is jumping on the 'there are a few people here who devalue the experience a little bit' people.
Because it seems extreme to some of us that that would cause someone to leave, when it's not exactly a new "feature" of this forum. But I personally have no interest in the fight to change people's minds on that score. If it's that offensive, happy trails and sincere hopes you find a community, perhaps more homogenous, that is more to your liking.

... who are all MORE than welcome to complain themselves. By registering... and posting. They aren't Nelson families and one active poster doesn't equal 1,000 non-active posters.[/QUOTE]

But this is my point: the registered posters are invested in the community. They will say their piece, because they care. What's the likelihood that someone just happening by sees a lot of dickery and thinks "I will register and post here, and show them the error of their ways."

At the very least, such complaints should give us all reason to pause and wonder "Am I personally dragging the forum down?" It certainly inspired me to think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.