Export thread

So. The move. Again.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Not trying to be a jackass.

But where are all these new people we were supposed to be getting?

All these forums have done is destroy what's familiar, and now people can't even pick the style they want. (Unless it's Serenity, bright whiteness, or the slop of mud that is WarC.)

I usually get used to things extremely quickly, and I still cannot call this place home. Before, Halforum was our castle. Now it's just this little dinky living room some friend is letting us use.

I understand Dave's been working extremely hard, but I have seen very very few fresh faces, and if anything, we lost a buttload more people.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I do not believe you have been looking around, there have been quite a few new faces since the move, either "new" or "lurkers coming to light".

Also we are STILL in the moving PROCESS. Like, not even "open for business" kind of thing yet, why would we be expecting a flood of new people yet?

Silvanesti

and how is this all that different. We have a "S" at the end of the name. big fucking deal. Whats this great change you're talking about that makes this not feel like home?

Dave has done good by us and put a lot of effort into it. I don't see you doing jack shit to get the word out.

Hylian

Hylian

I am already starting to feel at home again. I think things will improve as time goes along. Now with the plans Dave has for us I doubt anything will fill the same as it did but that doesn't mean it won't be better.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

(///.-) You guys just don't understand....

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm still getting used to it, but like Shego said, it's a process. I didn't know if halforum would last at first, but we did ok there. I think it'll get better for you with time.

Rubicon

I'd kill for the default vB theme, Serenity is nice but the default theme looks pretty generic so at a glance it's fairly worksafe for when I'm browsing at work.

Silvanesti

I honestly fail to see what is so substancially different that its worth complaining about.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

and how is this all that different. We have a "S" at the end of the name. big fucking deal. Whats this great change you're talking about that makes this not feel like home?

Dave has done good by us and put a lot of effort into it. I don't see you doing jack shit to get the word out.
Walk outside. Go ahead, I'll give you time to unplug your laptop.

Kay, now walk a few blocks. Or hell, drive a few miles.

Pick a random house there. Now go walk in.

Is that your house?

Is that your home?

Yes, it's still a house. But it's not YOUR house.

And fuck you, I made a video intro.

Silvanesti

Walk outside. Go ahead, I'll give you time to unplug your laptop.

Kay, now walk a few blocks. Or hell, drive a few miles.

Pick a random house there. Now go walk in.

Is that your house?

Is that your home?

Yes, it's still a house. But it's not YOUR house.

And fuck you, I made a video intro.[/QUOTE]

haha, its a different url, by one letter. I still fail to see this giant change.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Because you're clearly Atilla, and he was a bad, bad man.

Cajungal

Cajungal

It feels weird because this doesn't have the same new feeling as the first halforum did. We flooded in there at first because it was new and fun. Now we're still the same forum, just in a different place with some changes. We'll get used to them like we did when we first moved.

Dave and others have worked to keep us comfortable here. Criticism is fine and even necessary, but I think it's a little early to complain. Like Shego said, it's a process.

figmentPez

figmentPez

haha, its a different url, by one letter. I still fail to see this giant change.
Well, some of the giant changes have already revertd back to more familiar ways.

klew

klew

It feels weird because this doesn't have the same new feeling as the first halforum did. We flooded in there at first because it was new and fun. Now we're still the same forum, just in a different place with some changes. We'll get used to them like we did when we first moved.

Dave and others have worked to keep us comfortable here. Criticism is fine and even necessary, but I think it's a little early to complain. Like Shego said, it's a process.
I think part of the excitement of the first Halforum was because it was a frantic rush to find each other. It was like the party got broken up and we had to find a new place, everyone is jumping into cars and on the phone with former strangers, now instant friends. On this occasion, we had time to think and plan the company trip, which is usually not the most exciting start to adventures.

Cat

Cat

Dissent already? Eek, better purge this infected community and completely start over.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Better what? Nuke from orbit?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Better what? Nuke from orbit?
It's the only way to be sure.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

It doesn't feel any different to me, and I appreciate all the work that folks have done to make it so.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I think part of the excitement of the first Halforum was because it was a frantic rush to find each other. It was like the party got broken up and we had to find a new place, everyone is jumping into cars and on the phone with former strangers, now instant friends. On this occasion, we had time to think and plan the company trip, which is usually not the most exciting start to adventures.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly it, thank you.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It's the people who make this place feel like home for me. Not the board format or the style or the URL. Did we lose some people? I think so. But I also think enough of us remain to make this feel like home for me.

Silvanesti

It's the people who make this place feel like home for me. Not the board format or the style or the URL. Did we lose some people? I think so. But I also think enough of us remain to make this feel like home for me.
This. Hell, we even managed to pick up some new guys that are already pretty bitchin'

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The issue I have with the new board is minor, and that is I feel splitting up the forum into various sections like Gaming, Movies, etc... was a bad idea. While I understand why it was done, I find myself missing out of discussions because when I come to talk about games, I visit the game board and then after realize I have nothing to say, I leave. I don't even visit the general forum because it was not on my mind. Sometimes I will do the opposite, and miss out on a good discussion in the game forum because I am concentrating on this forum.

I liked the fact that everything we talked about really stayed in one free flow forum, politics, games, news, movies, it allowed me to see discussions I would have missed otherwise.

That is my only annoyance, and I will get over it.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The issue I have with the new board is minor, and that is I feel splitting up the forum into various sections like Gaming, Movies, etc... was a bad idea. While I understand why it was done, I find myself missing out of discussions because when I come to talk about games, I visit the game board and then after realize I have nothing to say, I leave. I don't even visit the general forum because it was not on my mind. Sometimes I will do the opposite, and miss out on a good discussion in the game forum because I am concentrating on this forum.

I liked the fact that everything we talked about really stayed in one free flow forum, politics, games, news, movies, it allowed me to see discussions I would have missed otherwise.

That is my only annoyance, and I will get over it.
I'm happy with the forum all in all but this I agree with, too many subforums. Though with how often I get the chance to check thanks to double shifts at work I suppose it works out for me. :p

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, I sort of agree with Scythe.
Oh, and I do think we've lost more regular posters, so far ,than we've gained.
Still, I'm not complaining too much....

Mr. Lawface

Before the move, I was starting to actually post semi-frequently and not be a lurker.

Post-move, I have found I hardly ever post at all. I am a lurker once again.

Edit: Also, my fantastic drawings are no longer being used for the different forum sections. This is a travesty.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I should clarify that all in all I don't care about the move, I'm just happy to be here and posting because you dudes are bad enough to save the President.

Twitch

Who did we lose?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Haven't seen Scarlet Varlet on these boards yet.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I have to disagree, I can count around 5-6 new members, how many "lost" can you name?

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

It's kind of hard to name lost people without a reference, like the top posters list from the old halforum.

The only reason I noticed is because before, I would see discussion from everyone everywhere, intermingling with each other. Now, I just see the same, like, 20 people.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I have to disagree, I can count around 5-6 new members, how many "lost" can you name?[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen
Scarlet Varlet
Neon Grue
HoboNinja
A Troll (under that name *cough*)
Kissinger
Hollow

Hardly seen
Mav
Gruebeard
err, the other ape, besides Jake, whatshisname. I know who I mean.

I admit, not all losses are necessarily caused by the switch; or even worth considering a loss. Just saying, some people have dropped off the radar, apparently. Yes, I'm aware I have Gruebeard and Hollow listed seperately, never mind that.
*edit* part of the seeming loss seems to be that quite a few people are sticking to their own subboard. GB probably won't venture out of the politics board, while most people seem to staty out of there. It's a loss, because there used to be al ot of people talking about politics, and now there're only a handlful, on one hand, and because GB sometimes posted something worthwhile in other threads, too. Just an example, I'm sure you'll dig up a GB post outside of politics now, but anyway,they're there. Both comics and politics seem to have drawn some people away from general.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Neon dropped off the radar a long time ago. Not sure who A Troll's other account(s) is, so I can't comment if he's still around. As for the rest, maybe they just need a bit more time to find us.

The other ape, you mean Steve?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Steve! Yes! I knew it was a short real name like Jake! Yes, I do mean Steve :-P

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've seen HoboNinja post a few times. You also have to remember school is starting up for some folks so if they have a heavy class load there won't be much sight of them. Also, Gruebeard didn't post much the last couple months anyway.

Pojodan

I, too, am having a hard time getting into the conversations going on recently on this board, but it's still one of my many homes and I shall always be around, if just to lurk.

bhamv3

bhamv3

*starts topic on fursuiting*

Denbrought

Denbrought

*quickly derails the fursuiting topic into an Imperial mass that ends in burning the [STRIKE]heretics[/STRIKE] furries*

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

*quickly derails the fursuiting topic into an Imperial mass that ends in burning the [STRIKE]heretics[/STRIKE] furries*

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I've seen HoboNinja post a few times. You also have to remember school is starting up for some folks so if they have a heavy class load there won't be much sight of them. Also, Gruebeard didn't post much the last couple months anyway.
It's also the end of the summer with Labor Day weekend in sight...pretty much the doldrums to begin with.

Pojodan

Thanks guys. *sniff*

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I wanted to put in a video of The Phantom Tollbooth Song "Doldrums" but it's apparently only on Youtube as part of the larger movie :(

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I wanted to put in a video of The Phantom Tollbooth Song "Doldrums" but it's apparently only on Youtube as part of the larger movie :(
I really have that song in my head now. "Don't say there's nothing to do in the dollllldrums..."

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I really have that song in my head now. "Don't say there's nothing to do in the dollllldrums..."[/QUOTE]

I'm actually looking at my first edition copy of the book and wondering if I should start reading it.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I'm actually looking at my first edition copy of the book and wondering if I should start reading it.
Mine isn't first edition, but it is hardback, and is signed by Norton Juster to me. It's one of the things I'd grab in a fire.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I honestly fail to see what is so substancially different that its worth complaining about.
I could be misremembering, but isn't doomdragon the guy who complained when his parents changed his doorknobs a while back?

Some people have big problems with inconsequential changes.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

WHAT!??!?! Is the whole movie on there?!?!?:Leyla:

Be back never guys!!!:popcorn:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Mine isn't first edition, but it is hardback, and is signed by Norton Juster to me. It's one of the things I'd grab in a fire.[/QUOTE]

Yours beats mine. Nice.

Dave

Dave

Did I take down the "why we moved" too soon? I appreciate the criticism as well as the kudos but please note that we're still working on stuff. The front page is nowhere near where it needs to be to be able to attract new sites yet. I'm in talks with a web designer who will be working to make it more presentable. To whit: Artist of the Month will get prominent placement as will those businesses who are "sponsored" and are members of the "hub". Theater Hopper still hasn't pulled the trigger even though he's "99% sure he'll do it" so I'm waiting on that. One of the new guys on the boards (Brian) is the former Admin of Tom's forums. He's poking around and checking things out. I haven't said anything because I wanted everyone to act naturally.

Once they finally pull the trigger we'll get the front page set up and then I'll be CONTINUING my contact with other sites for partnering.

And as to the analogy of walking down the street and going into another house...I've done that. It's called moving. At first it's a little weird but home is where you make it. I could live in a cardboard box and as long as my family was there it would be home.

redapples

Well the change did land right in the middle of the holiday period (so did the fall in traffic) so lets give it a month before we run around wildly panicing. :aaahhh:

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

I don't know if I post enough to be considered "new", but I find myself posting more. Kinda nice to post to the new forum after a move instead of being that guy that stayed behind in the old forum to post to hardly anyone(Crone might be the only one to know of me doing that at the Image board).

I think the Conquest System alone is a huge improvement. Considering Dave's intention was to find a way to engage people, even if they lurk, seems to be headed in the right direction with it. Though, it will probably require a reboot every so often so new people stand a chance against people who have been on it from the beginning.

JCM

Did I take down the "why we moved" too soon? I appreciate the criticism as well as the kudos but please note that we're still working on stuff. The front page is nowhere near where it needs to be to be able to attract new sites yet. I'm in talks with a web designer who will be working to make it more presentable. To whit: Artist of the Month will get prominent placement as will those businesses who are "sponsored" and are members of the "hub". Theater Hopper still hasn't pulled the trigger even though he's "99% sure he'll do it" so I'm waiting on that. One of the new guys on the boards (Brian) is the former Admin of Tom's forums. He's poking around and checking things out. I haven't said anything because I wanted everyone to act naturally.

Once they finally pull the trigger we'll get the front page set up and then I'll be CONTINUING my contact with other sites for partnering.

And as to the analogy of walking down the street and going into another house...I've done that. It's called moving. At first it's a little weird but home is where you make it. I could live in a cardboard box and as long as my family was there it would be home.
Well, its not like they cant find it, all my old links to the old forum lead here, so we probably just lost a few novelty posters/alts.

Dave

Dave

Though, it will probably require a reboot every so often so new people stand a chance against people who have been on it from the beginning.
Actually it won't require a reboot as much as a total removal of e-peen. Which is why I'm moving towards getting rid of post counts, etc. Basically anything that halts a new person from posting or getting involved because they would be arguing or disagreeing with "old guard".

Not that that happens.

:paranoid:

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

To be honest, I still feel as nooby as I was when we were on HP. :rofl:

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

Though, it will probably require a reboot every so often so new people stand a chance against people who have been on it from the beginning.
Actually it won't require a reboot as much as a total removal of e-peen. Which is why I'm moving towards getting rid of post counts, etc. Basically anything that halts a new person from posting or getting involved because they would be arguing or disagreeing with "old guard".

Not that that happens.

:paranoid:[/QUOTE]I was referring to Conquest, but I see your point.

Dave

Dave

Not that that happens.

:paranoid:[/quote]I was referring to Conquest, but I see your point.[/QUOTE]

Oh. Well THAT might. :rofl:

JCM

To be frank, most of the old ones have just become bitter tired shells of hatred and disgust, mere shadows of their former selves.

Andromache

To be frank, most of the old ones have just become bitter tired shells of hatred and disgust, mere shadows of their former selves.[/QUOTE]

wow. uhm.

it's an internet forum. Not the fucking Bastille.

JCM

To be frank, most of the old ones have just become bitter tired shells of hatred and disgust, mere shadows of their former selves.[/quote]

wow. uhm.

it's an internet forum. Not the fucking Bastille.[/QUOTE]I wasnt serious, or was I? ;)

Shannow

Shannow

You were. And it is sad.

JCM

*gets a hanky for Shannow*

Andromache

To be frank, most of the old ones have just become bitter tired shells of hatred and disgust, mere shadows of their former selves.[/quote]

wow. uhm.

it's an internet forum. Not the fucking Bastille.[/QUOTE]I wasnt serious, or was I? ;)[/QUOTE]

:eyebrow::Wangry::eyebrow:

Rob King

Rob King

One of the new guys on the boards (Brian) is the former Admin of Tom's forums. He's poking around and checking things out.
*Shakes Brian's hand warmly*

I haven't said anything because I wanted everyone to act naturally.
Oh.

*Spits in Brian's coffee*

Calleja

Calleja

Jay

Jay

I'd kill for the default vB theme
I feel the same. I tried a few a new themes and while they are nice, they aren't exactly work friendly. I'm trying the new Evo Perfect Blue. Let's see how it turns out. People need to give these things some time and I do appreciate Dave's time and effort but there's still work to be done.

In regards to the move, I don't mind it. I even supported it with my own money but until I can search the forums with MAH OWN NAME this isn't home. :)

And like I previously posted, way too many sub-forums. Oh, and I'd kill for a Ventrilo monitor.. even if you can open or close the tab for it. I'D KILL. Ask Shego, she knows I'm good with the knife.

Shannow

Shannow

Carry on my waaaywaaaaaard soooooooooooon,
there'll be peace when you are dooooooooone....

fade

fade

I must say, I also have felt this place was much more quiet and empty than the old. I have actually stopped checking in more than once or twice a day myself, because there's rarely anything new. I also think that the fractured subforums has at least a little to do with it. It's intimidating.

Yeah, about that. Not to sound like a whiny bitch or anything, but I liked the AotM in the General forum. I don't think too many people go to the Art Gallery. Part of the reason I volunteered was so that I could get the exposure that the General forum gives without being a huge "Look at my stuff now!" post addict. I feel like my little AotM thread isn't even being noticed where it is now. I mean, it's also possible no one cares, and I'm okay with that. But then I partly volunteered as an advertisement for my comic. Partly because people I've known since halfpixel go, "Oh, you do a comic?"

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Also, vote #3 for default skin.

Espy

Espy

Carry on my waaaywaaaaaard soooooooooooon,
there'll be peace when you are dooooooooone....
I would carry on, but I'm busy riding slow and taking things easy.

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

I made most of my life decisions at a Foghat concert... I stand by them.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I am already starting to feel at home again.
Even If I'm lurking more, as long as I have a theme I'm comfortable with, this place is as great as our previous forum.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

To be frank, most of the old ones have just become bitter tired shells of hatred and disgust, mere shadows of their former selves.[/QUOTE]
Long Live the Old Guard!

:rofl:

Andromache

Long Live the Old Guard!

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

to us Ents, you're not really old guard. :p

Now send me an inspiring PM, dammit.

Calleja

Calleja

Am *I* old guard?

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Am *I* old guard?
Nah, you're just old.... baldy.:smug:

Shannow

Shannow

Not everything is about you.

Andromache

old guard is people who were there before me. closest to that is JCM, though many claim to have lurked long before I arrived.

Not that it matters. Old guard sucks. New guard sucks.

Calleja

Calleja

Am *I* old guard?
Nah, you're just old.... baldy.:smug:[/QUOTE]

HEYY!! I shave my head, dammit!!

...and yeah, ok, I've been balding up front since 22. The cause is lots of testosterone, though... the ladies don't complain. :twisted:

old guard is people who were there before me. closest to that is JCM, though many claim to have lurked long before I arrived.

Not that it matters. Old guard sucks. New guard sucks.
Before you? That's pre-image, I don't think that qualifies as "old guard", we'd be reduced to an "old guard" of, like, 2.

I think those of us active in Image that have been graduating from forum to forum, with less and less members, count as "old guard". Not LURKING since image, ACTIVE since Image.

Not that it matters. Old guard is meaningless. New guard is meaningless.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Now there's an interesting definition for old guard. You don't count as old unless you've had a monthly wipe.

Calleja

Calleja

Oh those gorram wipes.

I DREAMED of getting wiped.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Oh those gorram wipes.

I have a feeling I'm missing out on some jargon.

Kitty Sinatra

Yes, I'm aware I have Gruebeard and Hollow listed seperately, never mind that.
Don't forget about Alt! And all my others. Huh. Maybe that's what's happening, you're just not seeing my alts around any more. They were a good chunk of the population of Halforum for a while there, y'know.

:whistling:

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh those gorram wipes.

I have a feeling I'm missing out on some jargon.[/QUOTE]

http://halforums.wikidot.com/monthly-wipe

(Does this count as the first time the Wiki's used as a reference source?)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Gracias.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Funny thing is I'm as old as any of the members still around, Gas, You, JCM. I just didn't post. I was under the username "Hibiki" and witnessed the entire Zod incidents and KryptonKrew like everyonelse. :slywink:

Andromache

Funny thing is I'm as old as any of the members still around, Gas, You, JCM. I just didn't post. I was under the username "Hibiki" and witnessed the entire Zod incidents and KryptonKrew like everyonelse. :slywink:[/QUOTE]

you kept your mouth shut, therefore you did not exist. If you did not exist, you did not matter. A point which will come up again, I'm sure. You will pass away from my gaze, and cease to matter.

fade

fade

Monthly wipes? Buncha babies. That didn't come until the end of Image.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I wonder what will become of me... once I don't matter anymore....

Covar

Covar

Yea I go back as far as Image, but that board had wipes the entire time I was on I believe. My post frequency has always varied, I'd say low side, but Calleja skews the average posts per user on the boards.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I remember the halcyon days before the wipes. Discussions were a lot deeper and more meaningful. A single post could go on for 17 paragraphs and that thread could live for weeks. Then the wipes taught people to keep their posts short and disposable, and we've never reattained the previous level of greatness since.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Bah, are we becoming such tired old grouches that we can think of nothing else but how everything was "in the good old days"?

Bah, I say.

As long as there are Halforums - plural or singular, it does not matter - with kooky posters, strange topics and funny and some times disturbing topics, I'll stick around, pantsless and beardy to your horror and amusement.

Besides, the Forum can be whatever you make of it. So how about we all go and see what we can make of this place, instead of bitching about change?

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Funny thing is I'm as old as any of the members still around, Gas, You, JCM. I just didn't post. I was under the username "Hibiki" and witnessed the entire Zod incidents and KryptonKrew like everyonelse. :slywink:[/QUOTE]

Me too!

... except for the username.

I was SilverJelly.

Andromache

Me too!

I was SilverJelly.[/QUOTE]

http://www.halforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246513&postcount=86

Calleja

Calleja

My post frequency has always varied, I'd say low side, but Calleja skews the average posts per user on the boards.
To be fair, I didn't even get 1500 posts on Image. I was rather quieter back then. I exploded once Halforum began. I was a lurker of sorts for the first half of my Image days, posting maybe once or twice a week, unnoticed. Around the time the wipes came I was already posting 3, 4 times per day, though.

I hit 20+ posts per day on Halforum only.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Me too!

I was SilverJelly.[/QUOTE]

http://www.halforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246513&postcount=86[/QUOTE]

That self linking made me smile.

Calleja

Calleja

WOW!!

Silver Jelly's post just magically appeared after mine as I reviewed it!! This is the first time it's happened, I'm so excited!

Well, ok, no. But it was nifty.

If I just leave a tab with the thread open, will I see all the new posts when I come back, without having to refresh, or is it only a "posts nears yours pop up" kinda thing?

Dave

Dave

I never shut up. I started on Image and haven't stopped gabbing since.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

WOW!!

Silver Jelly's post just magically appeared after mine as I reviewed it!! This is the first time it's happened, I'm so excited!

If I just leave a tab with the thread open, will I see all the new posts when I come back, without having to refresh, or is it only a "posts nears yours pop up" kinda thing?
As long as it's considered a "live" thread then leaving open the tab will do it. Up to 30 or so in the cache and then it'll start to delete them from oldest to newest.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

WOW!!

I'm glad I have been your first time, sweety.

Calleja

Calleja

Oh man. That was both hilarious and ...gross.

I have an ugh taste in my mouth now... I'll be... somewhere that's not this thread.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

WTF!? My post count is rising!?

Espy

Espy

I never shut up. I started on Image and haven't stopped gabbing since.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

WOW!!

As long as it's considered a "live" thread then leaving open the tab will do it. Up to 30 or so in the cache and then it'll start to delete them from oldest to newest.
You know, I VAGUELY recall one of my first interactions being getting into an argument with you on Image. Very VAGUELY though.

Andromache

I'm rapidly reaching the point where instead of arguing, I'm quietly giving Dave and Ame a prayer of thanks for using a system that has an ignore feature.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

To be frank, most of the old ones have just become bitter tired shells of hatred and disgust, mere shadows of their former selves.
I only lurked during the Zod thing, didn't start posting until the wipes started up (just a coincidence). But this still very much applies to me.

Calleja

Calleja

I only lurked during the Zod thing, didn't start posting until the wipes started up (just a coincidence). But this still very much applies to me.
Huh.

For some reason I was sure you were around even before me.

Damn. I've been with you people for like 4 years now!?

.... I feel old.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

For some reason I was sure you were around even before me.
It took me quite a while to get interested in posting. I think, though I may be wrong, that I finally started when Tim nuked his WoW guild and Scott made a home for them. I thought it was such an awesome thing to do.

I also left for quite a while at some point but I have the chronology all confused.

Andromache

I do Remember AmE being here before me. Though not as spectacularly awesome as now.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I only lurked and started posting later on at HalfPixel. I'm still young and stuff! Hurray!

...still meaningless, of course.

Cuyval Dar

infrequently lurked on Image, lurked constantly on Halfpixel, and really got into it on HF.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I lurked Halforum for about a month, then made an account and joined it. Before that, I would occasionally read the PvP forum.

Alucard

At least its a whole lot damn better than that Kurtz forum

Gusto

Gusto

I lurked from the beginning of Halfpixel, and only started posting in earnest during the CAD miscarriage. Certain folks and certain forum-nukings have brought me out of my shell since then. :)

Twitch

I thought I was really quite active at image but I only had like 500 posts.

Calleja

Calleja

in the image days having 6 thousand posts was a BIG DEAL, only like JCM ever got that far, other large numbers I remember were Amy, who had something like 4k.

At Halfpixel/Forum, all the top 10 posters had like 3k+. I had like 6,000, and HF wasn't even a year old.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, I had 2.25k and it only took my, what, 6-7 months to get that? That forum had a lot more activity.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I remember when Rogue offered me milk and cookies for writing a sonnet.

Also, M80 (later known as Fazz Munkle) had a postcount to rival JCM's at Image.

phil

phil

I've never broken 1000. I don't think I've ever broken 700. I was on my way before the post counts went away. :(

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I know this is a common story but I've lurked on and off as Frankie since the Image days. I know many share this story.

Silvanesti

Sometimes, I still miss Menopausal_Rogue's freshly baked cookies.

Only sometimes though.
haha, i remember that. though it seems like we've gotten a new den mother with zen :p

Shannow

Shannow

:facepalm:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I only came here out of the utter hilarity that Kurtz did the exact same thing to his forums twice. Then I stayed more or less for the lol's

Gusto

Gusto

And for all the lovely people...?

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

What's wrong, pumpkin?

Shannow

Shannow

Oh, just a whole bunch of things.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Charlie: Came for the lols, stayed for the lols.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Charlie: Came for the lols, stayed for the lols.
Well obviously:

Troll

Troll

I have to disagree, I can count around 5-6 new members, how many "lost" can you name?[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen
A Troll (under that name *cough*)[/QUOTE]

I've been lurking, but rarely. I dislike some of the direction this board has taken. I don't mean that as a criticism, but rather I'm just explaining my own preferences. You probably won't see me around much, under any name, though I'll stop by and do some lurking now and then.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

I know this is a common story but I've lurked on and off as Frankie since the Image days. I know many share this story.
I don't know anyone else who has lurked as Frankie.

I never lurked as Frankie. I'm much more of Stan person. Sometimes I'll lurk as Stan.

... or batman. :batman:

Calleja

Calleja

I've been lurking, but rarely. I dislike some of the direction this board has taken. I don't mean that as a criticism, but rather I'm just explaining my own preferences. You probably won't see me around much, under any name, though I'll stop by and do some lurking now and then.
May I ask what specifics of the board's direction you dislike?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

For once, the troll has actually posted a "trollish" post. :rofl:

Twitch

May I ask what specifics of the board's direction you dislike?[/QUOTE]

Well, for one, it used to be about the music.

Troll

Troll

For once, the troll has actually posted a "trollish" post. :rofl:
I'm really not trying to troll, I'm just being honest. The forum evolved, which is fine, but I just don't feel like I'm a part of the new version. Rather than sit around and gripe, I chose to remove myself from it. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

When you make a post "I don't like this place no more, it changed and I don't want to be here anymore" then just say "So bye".

It's not expected to be construed as a trollish post?

Troll

Troll

When you make a post "I don't like this place no more, it changed and I don't want to be here anymore" then just say "So bye".

It's not expected to be construed as a trollish post?
I see your point. I was just responding to a post that commented on how I wasn't around. I wasn't trying to stir up the forum.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I wasn't trying to stir up the forum.
The irony.... it burns..... :sevil:

Dave

Dave

But we love you. I for one would miss you.

Maybe you'll lurk and see that we really are still the same place and people.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

The irony.... it burns..... :sevil:[/QUOTE]

What are you saying? Irony is delicious and wholesome.

Iaculus

The irony.... it burns..... :sevil:[/QUOTE]

What are you saying? Irony is delicious and wholesome.[/QUOTE]

Burns like tasty tasty fresh curry.

With naan bread, just because.

Bubble181

Bubble181

This.

bhamv3

bhamv3

This.[/QUOTE]

This x 2.

Also, I can sympathize with what the Troll is saying. While I'm not yet tempted to leave the forum, there is a small but vocal minority of posters here who, I feel, make the place less attractive as a whole. I don't know if that's what Troll feels has changed about this place, but it's what I personally feel.

Mr_Chaz

It still seems pretty busy here to me!

But then I've barely been able to read the forum for the last couple of weeks, so everything's new. I'll catch up. One day. Then I shall return with a vengeance and you'll see my super imposing 3 posts a day!

Fear me.

Andromache

This.[/QUOTE]

This x 2.

Also, I can sympathize with what the Troll is saying. While I'm not yet tempted to leave the forum, there is a small but vocal minority of posters here who, I feel, make the place less attractive as a whole. I don't know if that's what Troll feels has changed about this place, but it's what I personally feel.[/QUOTE]

The problem with stating that is that it presents no solutions.

"Some of you are real assholes who ruin it for me, but whatever. "

Well, gee, uhm, thanks, have a nice day.

Rob King

Rob King

Well, gee, uhm, thanks, have a nice day.
What solutions are there? We've already talked about how over-moderation is not somewhere we want the board to go, and saying "Some of you guys are real assholes who ruin it for me, so get out." would only serve to precipitate a fight.

Chazwozel

This.[/QUOTE]

This x 2.

Also, I can sympathize with what the Troll is saying. While I'm not yet tempted to leave the forum, there is a small but vocal minority of posters here who, I feel, make the place less attractive as a whole. I don't know if that's what Troll feels has changed about this place, but it's what I personally feel.[/QUOTE]

GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE NERD!

bhamv3

bhamv3

This.[/QUOTE]

This x 2.

Well, gee, uhm, thanks, have a nice day.[/QUOTE]

What would you suggest? That I name the people in question? Propose that "no being an asshole" is added to the forum rules? Become an asshole myself in retaliation?

Like I said, I don't feel like leaving the forum quite yet, I consider this place my home online. I recognize that I do not have the right to dictate what others can and cannot post here, so when I read something I find distasteful, I exercise my right to scroll past it. I just miss the days when I didn't have to consistently move past the posts of certain individuals, back when even the snarkiest of assholes had something of value to contribute and some measure of respect for their fellow forumites.

Oh, and if it makes you feel better, you're definitely not one of the people I'm talking about. :D

EDIT: Nor is Chaz, he amuses me.

Andromache

my whole point is that vague complaints like that only serve to create more tension than solve it.

"there is a small group of unnamed, could be anyone assholes here ruining it for me. Rather than try to deal with the problem via ignore, I'm just going to post that this place as a whole kinda stinks because of these few unnamed could be anyone vocal minorities."

I mean, if you feel that way, fine, just leave the party. No harm done, really. You'll note that AmE hit the "solution" on the head before I did.

bhamv3

bhamv3

The forum as a whole is hardly "ruined" for me. After all, I recognize the vast majority of people here are not asshats.

As for the ignore function, I've considered using it, but personally I prefer to just physically ignore the posts I don't like. After all, the final result is the same, but one involves less clicking. :D

Anyway, that's all I feel like saying on the subject, it sounds like I'm complaining vigorously about something that I really only intended to mention in passing, as a personal opinion.

Andromache

"my personal passing opinion of you is that you're an asshole."

not really, but the point is anytime you state something that can offend others, even in passing, expect a reaction. Kinda along the lines of Shego's point about A Troll's posts.

bhamv3

bhamv3

In that case, let me apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my in-passing remark. I honestly did not intend any offense, and I deliberately did not name any names because I felt that would be inappropriate, and I didn't want anyone to think I'm directing my comments at him or her in particular.

Ok, NOW I'm done.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

[selective reading]

.... I recognize the vast majority of people here are not asshats.
[/selective reading]

heh, asshats. I still find that word funny. eh, simple things, simple mind I guess.

Kitty Sinatra

Bleh

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

There's this wonderful ignore function though. ;)
That only works up to a point though. Since we're a small community, if you put a couple of guys on ignore you'll quickly lose out completely on a lot of discussions, which makes going to the forum rather useless.

I think that if I'm going to be annoyed enough to put more then 1 of you guys on ignore, I'd just make my exit.

Andromache

There's this wonderful ignore function though. ;)
That only works up to a point though. Since we're a small community, if you put a couple of guys on ignore you'll quickly lose out completely on a lot of discussions, which makes going to the forum rather useless.

I think that if I'm going to be annoyed enough to put more then 1 of you guys on ignore, I'd just make my exit.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I guess all I can say to a person like that is "bye."

No one is forcing anyone to stay, nor are we all automatons here to amuse each other.

A certain crowd exists here, and not everyone is going to like everyone, but if a person demands absolute pleasure from everyone or else they're leaving, well, I hope they have have fun in Somewhere Elseville.

I think it's a real mistake to try to see this place as something for everyone. Yes, cliques do suck, and in the end destroy themselves, but if you can't hack putting two narglenuts on ignore, then I don't know what to tell you. I mean hell, I put several people on ignore, and that improved my forum experiences.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

To each his/her own, personally I don't like coming into a topic and missing half of the posts and thus, half of the discussion. It's why I never put anyone on ignore and I have a pretty thick skin, but if it does come to a point where the very existence of other people on the forum begins to bug me I don't see the point in staying around.

Andromache

the very reason I stick around isn't because no one bugs me, but that certain people interest me enough above the mindless shit drivel of the annoyance makers that I find value in sticking around. And the ignore button makes that so much easier.

I mean I see your point if EVERYONE gets to be an annoying arsetard, but it'd take more than 1 or two.

Calleja

Calleja

I can't fathom that mindset either... are 2 people you dislike really stronger the other 20+ you like?

It's not like threads are a connected sequence of conversation where if you miss one post you can't make sense of the following ones. That's exactly why there's a quote function, even, so you can know WHEN you need to have read someone else's post.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

To be frank, I don't have any real connection with any of you. The reason I lurked and started posting is because I enjoy reading the discussions ya'll have / had. So if I get a couple of people that really detract from my enjoyment here, there is very little to actually keep me here.
In fact, the reason I ended up here is because I got really tired of another forum when it started to have a couple of really annoying people that made reading or participating in discussions a drag.

Calleja

Calleja

Again, I'm not saying you have to love everyone, but how can 2 people you dislike drown out the enjoyment you get from the discussion of the other 30? I'd be with you if it were the other way around... but 2 over 30?

Dave

Dave

We're the same people we were. Just the colors and forum software are different.

Now, if we start bringing in more people and they turn out to be annoying then we'll deal with it. But I'd hate to see anyone leave because everyone brings something to the table in discussions.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

You know what the problem must be? That I'm posting much less than before!

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I think that if I'm going to be annoyed enough to put more then 1 of you guys on ignore, I'd just make my exit.
That seems rather extreme, but if you must, you must.

I've ignored and unignored people as need be, like when I just can't stand listening to so-and-so, and then a week or so later I take them off the list again. I've had more than 1 person on ignore. The forum didn't vanish into thin air.

I guess I just don't have a problem being in a community where I don't love or agree with everyone.

Andromache

what I don't get is the guy who doesn't really give a damn is taking effort to explain.... why he doesn't give a damn and could take it or leave it if one of us sneezes in his salad?

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

To each his own. If someone doesn't like the community, then I suppose he'd be better off out of it.

What annoys me more is people (not just in this thread) who don't like "the direction of things" or "how the forum is going" or other vagueries, and then decline to offer specifics or a possible solution. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that way.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Again, I'm not saying you have to love everyone, but how can 2 people you dislike drown out the enjoyment you get from the discussion of the other 30? I'd be with you if it were the other way around... but 2 over 30?
Like I said, I have a thick skin, if anyone actually manages to really get to me that the only option is to ignore them and then another shows up and gets to me again, for me, that's an indicator to pack up and leave before it gets worse.

Andromache

To each his own. If someone doesn't like the community, then I suppose he'd be better off out of it.

What annoys me more is people (not just in this thread) who don't like "the direction of things" or "how the forum is going" or other vagueries, and then decline to offer specifics or a possible solution. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that way.
this x10

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Wow... I didn't think there were that many whiners here :eek:rly:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Personally I love this forum to bits.

Yes, even the Ewok. But I won't sign his birthday card.

Kitty Sinatra

Just so you're not surprised again, this is how many whiners there are, and how many times they've whined:

Halforums Statistics:

Andromache

Just so you're not surprised again, this is how many whiners there are, and how many times they've whined:

Halforums Statistics:

:Wfacepalm:

Rob King

Rob King

I'm not sure why everyone is jumping on the 'there are a few people here who devalue the experience a little bit' people. Seeing as all of these changes we're doing was to attract new members, I'd have thought we'd take such things a bit more seriously. It's a perfectly valid thing to say, and he wasn't even a dick about it, so I'm not sure the harsher criticism is warranted.

Does it come off as thin-skinned? Yes. But if one registered poster is saying these things, there are probably a few lurkers and potential posters who are thinking along the same lines.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Does it come off as thin-skinned? Yes. But if one registered poster is saying these things, there are probably a few lurkers and potential posters who are thinking along the same lines.
... who are all MORE than welcome to complain themselves. By registering... and posting. They aren't Nelson families and one active poster doesn't equal 1,000 non-active posters.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I'm not sure why everyone is jumping on the 'there are a few people here who devalue the experience a little bit' people.
Because it seems extreme to some of us that that would cause someone to leave, when it's not exactly a new "feature" of this forum. But I personally have no interest in the fight to change people's minds on that score. If it's that offensive, happy trails and sincere hopes you find a community, perhaps more homogenous, that is more to your liking.

Rob King

Rob King

... who are all MORE than welcome to complain themselves. By registering... and posting. They aren't Nelson families and one active poster doesn't equal 1,000 non-active posters.[/QUOTE]

But this is my point: the registered posters are invested in the community. They will say their piece, because they care. What's the likelihood that someone just happening by sees a lot of dickery and thinks "I will register and post here, and show them the error of their ways."

At the very least, such complaints should give us all reason to pause and wonder "Am I personally dragging the forum down?" It certainly inspired me to think about it.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Well... for my part, I've tried to be less of a dick. And not scare people off my depantsing myself.

Kitty Sinatra

Well... for my part, I've tried to not scare people off my depantsing myself.
But that's what brought in all the ladies

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

But that's what brought in all the ladies[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the suspenders.

*snap!*

Kitty Sinatra

You is wrong.

Rob King

Rob King

But that's what brought in all the ladies

*snap!*[/QUOTE]

Let me tell you about suspenders.

I love them.

And I think maybe ... just maybe ... I love you.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

What's the likelihood that someone just happening by sees a lot of dickery and thinks "I will register and post here, and show them the error of their ways."
Good god, I hope that doesn't happen.

Rob King

Rob King

What's the likelihood that someone just happening by sees a lot of dickery and thinks "I will register and post here, and show them the error of their ways."
Good god, I hope that doesn't happen.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it does. And even if it did, would we take that person seriously? Probably not. Which is exactly my point.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I don't think it does. And even if it did, would we take that person seriously? Probably not. Which is exactly my point.
You're saying that's a bad thing? Damn right I don't take anyone seriously who joins just to wag their finger.

Charlie tried that...and we assimilated him. :twisted:

Now, join and try to raise the level of debate (as this hypothetical person would do), by posting and making new threads, that I respect.

Rob King

Rob King

You're saying that's a bad thing? Damn right I don't take anyone seriously who joins just to wag their finger.[/QUOTE]

Not saying that it's a bad thing. If someone joined like that, I'd dismiss them myself. What I'm saying is that nobody actually does that, so we don't really have any way to monitor how many people pass us over because of negative attitudes. There could be people who browse the forums and go "Wow. What a bunch of dicks." and move on.

Maybe we're better for not having those people, but you never know. I just don't want to contribute to an atmosphere of dickery that might turn potentially awesome community-members away, and I would have assumed that anybody who cares about Halforums as a community would want the same.

EDIT: Maybe I should clarify, because sometimes my position gets lost while I'm off playing the devil's advocate:

There have been a few rude posts, but I don't think it drags the community down in any measurable way. I don't think that people would be turned off from us because of the dickery that occasionally happens. But, if a forum member complains that he is seeing a few assholes that drag us down, then it means that some lurkers and visitors probably are as well. And that is worth consideration, even if in the end the consensus is "whatever."

Andromache

Well... for my part, I've tried to be less of a dick. And not scare people off my depantsing myself.
thats just it though. you're changing in the hopes that more people will find you acceptable. No matter what you do, you cant please everyone. Some people will whine about it either way. If people are going to whine if the forum isn't ____ enough, or that it's too _____ and we actually consider the view points of these people at all, then it becomes a game of who do we appease?

Personally as long as I am on the net, people will bitch. In fact they'll bitch if I'm not here too, so I might as well do what I want and suffer the consequences. I'd much rather have fun with five friends than be bored to tears in a crowd of hundreds too polite to be themselves.

Kitty Sinatra

Well put, Rob. I will keep that in mind.

phil

phil

Like I said, I have a thick skin, if anyone actually manages to really get to me that the only option is to ignore them and then another shows up and gets to me again, for me, that's an indicator to pack up and leave before it gets worse.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way about another forum I was on before this one. There were these two highly active posters who were very racist individuals, but because they were never aggressively hostile about it, and never posted any racial slurs they could get away with saying just about anything about a minority because they always presented it as an "argument" instead of just racist ramblings. Those two people were able to bring down the whole forum experience for me because I associated everyone else with those two guys. Even when I put them on ignore it didn't help because they posted so much and were quoted so much I still had to wade through their crap to read most threads.

I think leaving that environment and moving on was a good idea for me. I haven't looked back and now am in a place where I enjoy the people and even when someone does get on my nerves enough I can just ignore them for a spell until I get over it and un-ignore them.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

You're saying that's a bad thing? Damn right I don't take anyone seriously who joins just to wag their finger.

Charlie tried that...and we assimilated him. :twisted:

Now, join and try to raise the level of debate (as this hypothetical person would do), by posting and making new threads, that I respect.

ffffft. I still do my fair share calling out stupidity, I'm just too lazy to go at the same clip I did over the holidays

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I just don't want to contribute to an atmosphere of dickery that might turn potentially awesome community-members away, and I would have assumed that anybody who cares about Halforums as a community would want the same.
So don't contribute to it then. Be one of the posters that draws in potentially awesome community members.

This place is what it is and while obviously I'm interested in maintaining some level of civility, I'm not interesting in nice-ing down the place just to attract more people. I don't want this place turned into a tragedy of the commons, so to speak, in either direction.

Cajungal

Cajungal

But that's what brought in all the ladies[/QUOTE]

*snap!*[/QUOTE]

^_^

drifter

drifter

You know, regarding people being dicks and driving potential members away, am I the only one who thinks the level of discourse here is vastly more polite than it used to be on halfpixel, let alone the old Image forums? Granted, I don't read every thread, but it's not like there's been a lot of drama or flaming, has there? I mean, even the recent thread on gay marriage was fairly low-key.

I don't think the problem is a matter of dickery, so much as the forum has become too insular what with all the moves, and a certain amount of "familiarity breeds contempt."

Calleja

Calleja

We all know and have sized each other up.

Bubble181

Bubble181

To be fair, you can also ask what, exactly, drives people away.
Some people won't like Shego or Crone's approach to new members or to certain people (which boils down to "let's eat them alive and see if they survive). Some people do like it. Some people are probably incredibly annoyed by people like me, who just goof around in most threads and, even in the serious discussions, rarely bother to post a serious opinion, instead staying to the easier lamme humor side of things. Some people will really dislike the image macros. Some people...etc.

What I have seen personally, though, is that this board has, compared to a month or so ago, seriously slowed down during the off peak time slots. Being, when I'm around. The total level of activity is still pretty high, but it's been three days in a row now that it went for well over half an hour without a single reply, anywhere....Yes, at hours like 5:30 am and whatnot, and you may not notice or care, but it's really visible. Some time zones are dieing out :-(

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I don't think the problem is a matter of dickery, so much as the forum has become too insular what with all the moves, and a certain amount of "familiarity breeds contempt."
Well said.

As far as activity levels, that's been discussed before. Summer's ending, people are going back to school or finishing up vacations, etc. I hardly think half an hour without a reply spells the end of the forum.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Nor did I imply it was. Just a general trend over the past fe days/weeks that certain time zones have really slowed down, while others have become more active. yes, it probably does have to do a lot with people returning to school and such, but it's still a downside - once a certain time zone cools off, it's hard to get new people in that time zone, too, after all.

...and we Europeans rule :humph:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

DOOM AND GLOOM

DOOM AND GLOOM

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

DOOM AND GLOOM

DOOM AND GLOOM
That's actually funnier with your avatar alone, minus the GIF.

Andromache

Some people won't like Shego or Crone's approach to new members or to certain people
:Whhmm::Wfacepalm:

Calleja

Calleja

I.. haven't seen any particular "approach" to new members from either... they're more of a context-sensitive approach, like, y'know, most of everyone's.

Andi

Drachenherz

I cannot understand what this whining is all about. Is it fear that this forum will die a slow and painful death and will be forgotten in the cold vast lands of cyberspace?

That ain't happening. A temporary cool down in certain time zones... is, as the name implies... Temporary.

Take me for an example: I got my times, when I post on a semi-regular basis, then on the other hand, when real life needs my full attention, I got times I post quite scarcely or not at all.

But I'd never change myself or play somebody I'm not, just to attract new forumites - that would spoil my "halforum-experience" more than a cooling down of the forums...

Yeah, and to conclude my valuable post, I give you boobies:

Kitty Sinatra

I.. haven't seen any particular "approach" to new members from either... they're more of a context-sensitive approach, like, y'know, most of everyone's.
Bubble's not talking about a formal "approach" but rather the first few replies that a new poster receives.

If Crone and Shego are among the first or more vocal to respond, that new poster is most likely gonna get a face full their shtick; If it's a political thread, that new poster is gonna be ganged up on something fierce by the looney lefties or shouted down so hard by Gassy; meanwhile if Bubs and I are the first or most vocal, that new poster is gonna get a bunch of lame jokes.

It's not an approach, so much as his natural welcome. And any one of these "approaches" could turn off the new poster or draw him further in.

Andi

Drachenherz

*snip*

It's not an approach, so much as his natural welcome. And any one of these "approaches" could turn off the new poster or draw him further in.
I guess that sums it up.

Either they stay. Or they don't.

:toocool:

JCM

you kept your mouth shut, therefore you did not exist. If you did not exist, you did not matter. A point which will come up again, I'm sure. You will pass away from my gaze, and cease to matter.[/QUOTE]Remind me to never ever piss you off.

Andi

Drachenherz

Funny thing is I'm as old as any of the members still around, Gas, You, JCM. I just didn't post. I was under the username "Hibiki" and witnessed the entire Zod incidents and KryptonKrew like everyonelse. :slywink:[/quote]

you kept your mouth shut, therefore you did not exist. If you did not exist, you did not matter. A point which will come up again, I'm sure. You will pass away from my gaze, and cease to matter.[/quote]Remind me to never ever piss you off.[/QUOTE]

Hibiki? Like, DAN Hibiki?

Andromache

you kept your mouth shut, therefore you did not exist. If you did not exist, you did not matter. A point which will come up again, I'm sure. You will pass away from my gaze, and cease to matter.[/QUOTE]Remind me to never ever piss you off.[/QUOTE]

hilariously, I would say the same for you. except that watching you foam and roar like Chewbacca is worth it.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Capcom_vs._SNK/Characters/Hibiki

Back when I still played competitive fighting games in tournaments, I played her pretty exclusively and was one of the few that could pull off her A-Groove with precision consistantly. Hibiki was a name I had began using on forums/gaming sites/email etc for a very long time afterwards too. The only exception was instances of using Trish, but Hibiki was definitely more dominant for a good while.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

DOOM AND GLOOM

DOOM AND GLOOM
That's actually funnier with your avatar alone, minus the GIF.[/QUOTE]

Upon further reflection you are correct. Sadly that was posted an hour or two after winding down from DragonCon and the brain, she was not at full capacity.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Back when I still played competitive fighting games in tournaments, I played her pretty exclusively and was one of the few that could pull off her A-Groove with precision consistantly. Hibiki was a name I had began using on forums/gaming sites/email etc for a very long time afterwards too. The only exception was instances of using Trish, but Hibiki was definitely more dominant for a good while.[/QUOTE]

I was more of a Dan/Rugal/Joe Higashi team guy myself... but then again, I only played Capcom vs. SNK2.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Back when I still played competitive fighting games in tournaments, I played her pretty exclusively and was one of the few that could pull off her A-Groove with precision consistantly. Hibiki was a name I had began using on forums/gaming sites/email etc for a very long time afterwards too. The only exception was instances of using Trish, but Hibiki was definitely more dominant for a good while.[/QUOTE]

I was more of a Dan/Rugal/Joe Higashi team guy myself... but then again, I only played Capcom vs. SNK2.[/QUOTE]

I always liked Ken/Iori/Joe myself, sometimes swapping in Sakura or Yuri for Joe, though I was still working on getting better with Yuri. Sadly CvSNK2 doesn't play on my 360.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I played p-Hibiki in Last Blade 2.

Does that count for anything?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I was talking about CvS2.

CvS2 was one of the few games were my "fun" characters were also highly competitve tournament level characters as well.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Dan is ALWAYS competitive in the right hands. It's just that he requires so much practice to work with that he's usually not worth the trouble when their are easier characters.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm talking State/National/Regional competitive, not "beat a bunch of good/amateur pro players"

JCM

Funny thing is I'm as old as any of the members still around, Gas, You, JCM. I just didn't post. I was under the username "Hibiki" and witnessed the entire Zod incidents and KryptonKrew like everyonelse. :slywink:[/quote]

you kept your mouth shut, therefore you did not exist. If you did not exist, you did not matter. A point which will come up again, I'm sure. You will pass away from my gaze, and cease to matter.[/quote]Remind me to never ever piss you off.[/quote]

hilariously, I would say the same for you. except that watching you foam and roar like Chewbacca is worth it.[/QUOTE]Well, its a strange fetish, the 2girls1cup of drool crowd, but who am I to judge?

Andromache

you know, you can try real hard to make the connection between drool and 2g1c, but I aint gonna. Instead I'm going to remember the years of sheer raging joy you've brought me with your endless, tireless intent on not only have the last word, but using the last word to cut your opponents up into pieces and make their families choke on them.

JCM

Years gone by, like the years where you'd go psycho, threaten suicide, leave, return, then go psycho again, etc.... not that it wasnt entertaining, mind you, but things move on, and I found a greater pleasure in letting a topic die by giving the other the last word.

But then, I barely enter here more than 3 days a week, and the glory days of 70+ pages of topics of me and that poop guy vs Gasbandit and Janissary died out with image.

Guess we old ones are growing old and happy, you and the gal, Amorous and her adventures and me getting engaged (for the 3rd time, now with a kid)

Andromache

Years gone by, like the years where you'd go psycho, threaten suicide, leave, return, then go psycho again, etc.... not that it wasnt entertaining, mind you, but things move on, and I found a greater pleasure in letting a topic die by giving the other the last word.

But then, I barely enter here more than 3 days a week, and the glory days of 70+ pages of topics of me and that poop guy vs Gasbandit and Janissary died out with image.

Guess we old ones are growing old and happy, you and the gal, Amorous and her adventures and me getting engaged (for the 3rd time, now with a kid)
You see, I'd believe you, except for that who thing you had a few weeks ago about I think it was star wars? with that ali3n chick? That was JCM in all his hormonal glory. Not that I actually pay attention to the content of your words. It's just that there's a drinking game I have based on your paragraph responses and repeated points. It's complex, but it's word count vodka.
Smashing fun.

the sad thing is, in like 8 months, you'll be gone for longer periods of time.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Bubble's not talking about a formal "approach" but rather the first few replies that a new poster receives.
[...]
Thank you for clarifying :)

You best not be implying that I'm old, bub. ;P
See? Just a andom example, but yet again, I can't help but come by and stress that I, for one, would never say anything like that. I have class. Or, not a deathwish, at least.

Twitch

You guys are actually younger than I though. Stienman should do one of his famous polls for age again so I can see whether I really am older than all yall

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

You see, I'd believe you, except for that who thing you had a few weeks ago about I think it was star wars? with that ali3n chick? That was JCM in all his hormonal glory. Not that I actually pay attention to the content of your words. It's just that there's a drinking game I have based on your paragraph responses and repeated points. It's complex, but it's word count vodka.
Smashing fun.

Don't forget the STEAM thread where I dragged him on for 6 pages with 8 people in my PM box taking bets. :rofl:

Andromache

we don't mean chronological age, but rather age on the forum connectedness bit. Ame and Julio have been around since [STRIKE]before the Forging of the One Ring and the Hiding of the Three[/STRIKE] awhile. Mostly because Ame started surfing the net when she was six, (drunken age dodge)

Bubble181

Bubble181

You best not be implying that I'm old, bub. ;P
See? Just a andom example, but yet again, I can't help but come by and stress that I, for one, would never say anything like that. I have class. Or, not a deathwish, at least.[/QUOTE]

Julio and I go waaay back, bubbles.. I know he didn't mean it that way.[/QUOTE]

*poke* So do I. I'm referring to my habit of making the lamest of jokes; evidencing it by my tendency to ALWAYS assume "bub" or "bubs" refers to me, no matter the context.

Andromache

*poke* So do I..
:wocatagon:

JCM

Smashing fun.

Nope, that was me showing that "fanboy" vs "creator", not that I care, after all me at my worst is just a drinking game with me reposting the same thing until the other addresses the points/gives up, while your worst has been everything from attempted suicide to goodbye threads and drama.

Lesson of the day: Its just a forum, full of great stuff to read, dont take it too seriously, and man Im glad that you've kept clean (minus the Fade debacle, hilarious at it was).

I'd have a drinking game, but drinking over someone's life/scarred psyche/body isn't my kind of thing, and I've stopped drinking for a year now.

Bubble181

Bubble181

*poke* So do I..
:wocatagon:[/QUOTE]

*pokes Crone*

This is fun. Being undead has its advantages. No more mortal fear.

To clarify myself again: I mean I know he doesn't mean it like that, not that we go back a long time.

JCM

Don't forget the STEAM thread where I dragged him on for 6 pages with 8 people in my PM box taking bets. :rofl:
And triple that calling you out in the thread? :rofl:

You are hilarious as ever, but my apologies fair imitation of Crone, but wasting time writing while I copy+paste the same thing is just my idea of seeing if any thread can ever reach the heights of a modest flame war.

Sadly, with Crone in Suicideanonymous, Gasbandit quarantined to a single thread and in a 4-year truce, Im just stuck with imitators who celebrate the awesomeness of pming arguments with a ctrl+C post.

Thankfully, the rest of the forum is awesome in content as always.

Andromache

nice that you always have to drag a persons personal life into the mix julio. Jesus, it wasn't even an insult at you, more like a compliment and you're all assuming that everything I say is an insult and getting hopped up on invented offenses. Jesus man. chill the fuck out. I'm not going to try to rape your mom or anything, I swear. You're all twitchy like an electrocuted puppy or something.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

*poke* So do I..
:wocatagon:[/QUOTE]

*pokes Crone*

This is fun. Being undead has its advantages. No more mortal fear.

To clarify myself again: I mean I know he doesn't mean it like that, not that we go back a long time.[/QUOTE]

man, I'll tell you something. I don't even know who you are. I try to connect the names, but it's just a name.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

See how easy that was Crone? I think I've gotten better at snapping the whip at him than you are. :rofl:

Andromache

See how easy that was Crone? I think I've gotten better at snapping the whip at him than you are. :rofl:
I could think of loftier more noble goals. Like drilling my teeth for cavities. But you know something? JCM's always bringing up my past, playing out the same old tired track, and for what end? Do I care? No, because it mattered as much to me then as sticking the iraq porn mistake in his face does. But jesus he is touchy. you compliment the guy and he starts yammering on about the fact that you used to be a pyschotic suicidal mess. Classy act, that. Forget the fact that if he's living such the god damn perfect life with all his sexy ex's and saintly role as the loving protector and saviour of his family then why the hell does he even have the time to tell us about it, and gods know the time to point out all the personal flaws?

JCM

nice that you always have to drag a persons personal life into the mix julio. Jesus, it wasn't even an insult at you, more like a compliment and you're all assuming that everything I say is an insult and getting hopped up on invented offenses. Jesus man. chill the fuck out. I'm not going to try to rape your mom or anything, I swear. You're all twitchy like an electrocuted puppy or something.
Note, its easy to insult then complain about pesonal life, but when your glory days were all about your personal life in the forum, both stuck together, what can one say about your past entertainment?

My apologies, I'll be glad to call a truce, if your past psychological problems due to/while using forums is an issue, but it serves to highlight my point of some imitators orgasming over pms or taking forums too seriously vs a pointless argument which is just two points of view.
You best not be implying that I'm old, bub. ;P[/QUOTE]

You? Never, heck, Im the balding one here, but even with my usual traveling and stuff, I wish I had the courage to risk in life like you.

Damn, from the DMET handle, to the user with the Unicron avatar to today, you have lived and done more than most users online I have known.

Andromache

My apologies, I'll be glad to call a truce, if your past psychological problems due to/while using forums is an issue,
my gods you're still such a self righteous asshole. Nice diagnosis there, asshair. You really should taste some of the endless shit you spew, might shut you the fuck up a minute. You go out of your way to insult someone, fuck you nancy, you grow a pair and man up to it. You own that bitchy passive agressive swipe at someone just because they are an known target. You want to piss people off, you fucking admit to it.

you can bitch about my pyscho past all you want, cockhead, but you've always been a a shitbasket from the distant past to the present. Own it.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey