Skype crashing on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
This afternoon, Skype crashed out of nowhere. When I tried to start it back up, it wouldn't let me, isntead crashing before even the ''signing in...'' screen appeared. I tried re-installing it twice over, I tried changing the compatibility (which is the suggested fix on the official skype boards) but nothing works. My antivirus gives nothing and my firewall has Skype as an exception.

System: Windows Vista 32bit on Toshiba Satellite L350D with dual Intel Pentium 1.7gHz processors, 1G RAM.

GasBandit

Staff member
I stopped using skype some time ago due to program bloat and quality issues. As an alternative, I suggest voipbuster, for PC-to-PC calls.

@Dave: Thanks! For some reason, that link didn't show up in the cursory google search that I had done. It worked, though.

@Gas: I use Skype predominantly as an IM client, rather than a voice chat client.

GasBandit

Staff member
@Gas: I use Skype predominantly as an IM client, rather than a voice chat client.
Well, I guess to each their own... But that seems to me to be akin to buying a car to listen to the radio. Not that you actually "buy" skype.

I use google talk for all my IMing. Since pretty much everybody has a gmail account (or an android phone, which then makes them get a gmail account ;) )

LOL, worldwide issue what a week after MS buys Skype? You just can't write this stuff.

And yeah, don't use Skype, no reason for this app to need 100 megs to run.

S

Soviet

There's been many problems with Skype after MS bought them (Surprised?) You should downgrade to version 4 and it should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.