*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

Yup. We've so failed as a society that we're teaching grade schoolers how to treat bullet wounds and to rush shooters, because that's something they're going to have to deal with. #ARE WE GREAT AGAIN
Or just keep letting kids hide and rack up 30+ body counts. #ARE WE STILL GREAT

I mean, we already have Fortnite, Apex, PUBG, Battlefield, The Division 2, H1Z1, CoD Black Ops, Isle of Nyne, Anthem, Destiny 2, and Ark. With all these, how can we say we are not training them properly?/s

—Patrick

I mean, we already have Fortnite, Apex, PUBG, Battlefield, The Division 2, H1Z1, CoD Black Ops, Isle of Nyne, Anthem, Destiny 2, and Ark. With all these, how can we say we are not training them properly?/s

—Patrick
Have we heard from Jack Thompson lately?

Heeeere we go again.

--Patrick
Yup. 11 Dead, six injured in today's Mass Freedoming. The Freedomer was a disgruntled former employee who returned to Building 2 at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center and began Freedoming random people on multiple floors of the building. He was confronted by police and killed following a short Freedoming with officers.

Yup. 11 Dead, six injured in today's Mass Freedoming. The Freedomer was a disgruntled former employee who returned to Building 2 at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center and began Freedoming random people on multiple floors of the building. He was confronted by police and killed following a short Freedoming with officers.

This is not "Municipal Center" like swimming pool, ice rink, pavilion, etc. This was the juvie/domestic court & probation center, fire dept, sheriff's office, etc.

--Patrick
SO FUCKING WHAT? THAT'S LITERALLY WHAT THE FUCKING BUILDING IS FUCKING CALLED YOU FUCKING PEDANT.

God you are so fucking tedious.

SO FUCKING WHAT? THAT'S LITERALLY WHAT THE FUCKING BUILDING IS FUCKING CALLED YOU FUCKING PEDANT.

Wow, triggered much? There are parts of the country that municipal center means public recreation, not the seat of government. A valid point was made.

Sorry, gotta go with Null on this one. Municipal Building is usually what they name a police/court/county office complex.

figmentPez

Staff member
Wow, triggered much? There are parts of the country that municipal center means public recreation, not the seat of government. A valid point was made.
And it could have been made in a way that wasn't phrased as a correction. Null wasn't wrong, so starting with "this is not" was very rude.

No, it wasn't. The complex is literally called Virginia Beach Municipal Center.

From the news report:
Police confirmed Friday that 13 people were dead and more than 4 injured in a workplace-related shooting at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

So by making a correction that wasn't a correction, PatrThom was being needlessly pedantic, AGAIN, which makes him an asshole.

No, it wasn't. The complex is literally called Virginia Beach Municipal Center.

From the news report:
Police confirmed Friday that 13 people were dead and more than 4 injured in a workplace-related shooting at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

So by making a correction that wasn't a correction, PatrThom was being needlessly pedantic, AGAIN, which makes him an asshole.
Around where I've lived, that complex would have been called City Hall, and something called the Municipal Center would have included a city pool, basketball courts, tennis courts and the like.

Around where I've lived, that complex would have been called City Hall, and something called the Municipal Center would have included a city pool, basketball courts, tennis courts and the like.
And? What's your fucking point? It's still literally what the fucking place is called.

What you're describing is largely called a "community center" around here. But even if that weren't the case, again, that's the fucking name of the building.

Virginia Beach calls the complex where its city offices are located the "Municipal Center". Likewise, the mold-infested hellhole that serves as my town's center of government is the "Municipal Building".

So why feel the fucking need to post a correction, that isn't even a fucking correction? What the fuck does that contribute to the conversation, other than demonstrating a need to be a pointless tedious pedantic fucking asshole?

Why do you have such a hate boner for me? Your outburst was unexpected and grossly disproportionate. I'm sorry that ordinary words make you so angry just because they happen to come from me, I promise I do not hold any such animosity towards you, but in the future if you want to attack me personally, could you do it through PMs instead of CAPping up a thread just to yell at me?
The city where I grew up had a "municipal complex" which included two baseball diamonds, public parks and a sledding hill, hiking trails, a swimming pool, an ice rink, a library, a community center with a theater and other function spaces, two hot dog/ice cream stands, a miniature golf course, tennis courts, and a ~4acre forest with a bonfire area. No football field, though.
There was another group of buildings nearby which included the police/fire stations, the public works/utilities center, courthouses, mental health facilities, salt/garbage trucks, vehicle maintenance, and the city administrative building, but we always referred to that group as "city hall."
It occurred to me that the label "municipal center" might confuse others the same as it had me, since my first thought was that some guy had burst into a day camp and shot up a bunch of kids, so I made my clarifying comment, and Sparhawk's response suggests I was indeed not alone in my belief.

--Patrick

[words]

Come on man. I'm at my D&D session right now. Don't make me deal with this shit. - Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

figmentPez

Staff member
It occurred to me that the label "municipal center" might confuse others the same as it had me, since my first thought was that some guy had burst into a day camp and shot up a bunch of kids, so I made my clarifying comment, and Sparhawk's response suggests I was indeed not alone in my belief.
Then say that. "For those that might have been confused, like I was, this type of municipal center is a courthouse complex, and not the recreational center that I'm familiar with." How you frame the information you provide is important. Make it clear why you are providing the information that you are.

Dear Null,

You've been nothing but a dipshit lately. The way you fly off the handle at the slightest thing PatrThom says which you might be able to construe as creitique or comment on you, is baffling, overly aggressive, incredibly off-putting, and frankly, indicates that you've got deeper issues.
Almost all the people worth having a political discussion with have moved on or disappeared; the political debate here has narrowed so much I might as well just read the comments on an article in the NY Post or on CNN.
I don't know if you realize that the way you behave towards PatrThom is exactly the sort of behavior you'd be one of the first to disparage and attack in someone else. He doesn't even necessarily disagree with oyu, but wants to give a different perspective, or add some context, or rephrase it to be more comprehensible to people with a mind more like his own.
PatrThom is not quite neurotypical - I'm sure he's somewhere on some spectrum somewhere. This doesn't mean his opinion is worthless; likewise it doesn't mean he's holy and unassailable and can't be taken to task over saying something too bluntly or oddly. However, just like attacking someone like Nick or Fig for how they post when they're in the lower regions of a depressive episode, attacking PatrThom over the way he says it is futile, offensive, and just shows how limited your self-claimed tolerance and acceptance really is.
Becoming this aggravated over so small a thing as someone possibly-badly-wording some additional context/explanation for something you wrote is unhealthy for you, and incredibly toxic for this forum.

All you're doing is making people unlike you feel less welcome and try to suppress any debate or conversation about a topic you care about.

Or, to put it slightly less kindly: if you can't behave like a normal functioning adult, fuck off and go jump out of a tall tree, asshole, cause you're seriously hurting me and my enjoyment of one of the few good things left in my life, and I'm sure others feel similar. PatrThom might be able to take it, and that's all well and good, but nobody's staying at a place where you get yelled at for posting what others might disapprove of. Why would they - might as well stay on Facebook if all we're allowed to say is Hivemind Thoughts.

PatrThom is not quite neurotypical - I'm sure he's somewhere on some spectrum somewhere.
Aside from ADD/ADHD and occasional passive aggression, nobody's ever been able to "prove" (i.e., put a name to) anything else, and attempts at diagnosis are made more difficult by the fact that I've been environmentally conditioned to not let my emotions show (which causes some people to automatically peg me as being "on the spectrum.").
attacking PatrThom over the way he says [something] is futile, offensive, and just shows how limited your self-claimed tolerance and acceptance really is. Becoming this aggravated over so small a thing as someone possibly-badly-wording some additional context/explanation for something you wrote is unhealthy for you, and incredibly toxic for this forum. All you're doing is making people unlike you feel less welcome and try to suppress any debate or conversation about a topic you care about.
I get that Null is mad at something I personally must've done/said/am/etc, and he needs to acknowledge it and try to work it out (through PMs, through therapy, whatever), but I'm not going to stop voicing my opinion on a forum I frequent in a topic specifically designated for this kind of discussion just because a handful of those people don't always agree or don't want to hear it or just don't like me in general.
I’m used to people not liking me for reasons I don’t understand. I’ve been dealing with it my entire life. One more wont kill me.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Then say that. "For those that might have been confused, like I was, this type of municipal center is a courthouse complex, and not the recreational center that I'm familiar with." How you frame the information you provide is important. Make it clear why you are providing the information that you are.
The onus of how people interpret his words isn't on him, at least when all he's doing is providing information. He stated a bit of info, nothing more.

figmentPez

Staff member
The onus of how people interpret his words isn't on him, at least when all he's doing is providing information. He stated a bit of info, nothing more.
You're right, no one has to make an attempt to be polite, or to try to be clear in how they communicate. It still helps a whole lot to attempt to say things in a way that others will readily understand.

You're right, no one has to make an attempt to be polite, or to try to be clear in how they communicate. It still helps a whole lot to attempt to say things in a way that others will readily understand.
I do make the attempt. I will agonize for dozens of minutes over a post before submitting.
But sometimes I will still fail. Chalk it up to being made (mostly) of meat, I guess. And that’s not even counting the times that people deliberately misconstrue my words. For those, I have no solution other than to never say anything...and that ain’t ever gonna happen, sorry.

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I do make the attempt. I will agonize for dozens of minutes over a post before submitting.
But sometimes I will still fail. Chalk it up to being made (mostly) of meat, I guess. And that’s not even counting the times that people deliberately misconstrue my words. For those, I have no solution other than to never say anything...and that ain’t ever gonna happen, sorry.
I realize you do try, and that's why I gave you a specific reason that your statement came across wrong, and how it could have been phrased better. I'm trying to give you more information so that you can better communicate in the future.

—Patrick
I'm going to give the opposite advice from Pez. Care less. Say what you want and ignore anyone that screeches at you. And if they do screech, just pull your pants down and helicopter dick until they stop. Eventually they will learn not to.

Outside of rant threads, which are kind of a special case, I agree with Raven. The onus isn't on everyone else to figure out what's going to cause another person to fill a post with cursing in the politics subforum.

Outside of rant threads, which are kind of a special case, I agree with Raven. The onus isn't on everyone else to figure out what's going to cause another person to fill a post with cursing in the politics subforum.
That said, I also know that this thread in particular is going to have some very impassioned responses, obviously, so I tend to forgive anyone getting heated.

Also everyone heard Hailey agree with me about helicopter dick

figmentPez

Staff member
This isn't a post with constructive criticism, it's just an agreement that making a critical statement of contradiction doesn't come across as rude when there's no factual error in what's been said.

How many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
And how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind

- R. Dylan

:ninja:

This is not "Municipal Center" like swimming pool, ice rink, pavilion, etc. This was the juvie/domestic court & probation center, fire dept, sheriff's office, etc.

--Patrick
I might have thought it was that sort of place, too, but the tweet you originally posted said something about a courthouse.

:waves: