Sexism vs bullying: FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
know your meme isn't evidence, it's a really stupid fucking site I wouldn't trust to tell me what day it is
Actually, they do some pretty in depth documentation and research into the origin of internet memes, showing first known usage and trends. You're just dismissive because you're a ċunt.

Actually what I meant to say was that if Charlie Don't Surf interprets it that way, then chances are others do too. Similar to how talking about dongles and forking, even without the sexual overtones (yes, these are terms I use regularly to describe specific objects and tasks related to my work), could be misinterpreted, I do need to know when others have a connotation for a word or phrase I don't know so I can avoid it when the audience calls for it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Actually what I meant to say was that if Charlie Don't Surf interprets it that way, then chances are others do too. Similar to how talking about dongles and forking, even without the sexual overtones (yes, these are terms I use regularly to describe specific objects and tasks related to my work), could be misinterpreted, I do need to know when others have a connotation for a word or phrase I don't know so I can avoid it when the audience calls for it.
Surrendering cromulent usage to belligerent ignorance is anathema to me, as it reinforces the misinterpretation and gives cretins control over the evolution of our communication and our culture.

I've never NOT heard it associated with that / homosexuality / having sissy feelings / etc.

That's not even getting into the whole. Well, let's just pretend it has nothing to do with anal sex. It's still making fun of someone for having feelings, which is another level of fucked up.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've never NOT heard it associated with that / homosexuality / having sissy feelings / etc.

That's not even getting into the whole. Well, let's just pretend it has nothing to do with anal sex. It's still making fun of someone for having feelings, which is another level of fucked up.
/thorspeak engage

Thy MEWLING is reminiscent of a small child what has been flatly struck upon his fundament, and is an unending source of amusement!

And HA HA you have feelings!

For all those decades that pain in the butt has been pushed around, I never once thought of anal sex. To me it was always spanking, or hemorrhoids.

So when I say something is a pain in the ass it's obviously a derogatory reference to anal sex? Wow Charlie... thanks for informing me... you are truly a hero!

Stop putting words* in my mouth, please. I never said that. I really don't think "pain in my ass" is an anti-gay slur at all. I'm not an insult historian or whatever and I admittedly could be wrong on the butthurt thing! I'm just going on how I've seen it predominantly.

*or dicks

I don't know... according to Charlie, Steak and BJ day is horribly sexist, and since all that that day entails is eating steak and getting a BJ, that must mean that putting a dick in someone's mouth is a horrible crime against humanity.

I think a man telling a woman to get raped to death is different / more sinister and can be more painful I guess, for lack of a better word, than the same threats at a man.
And why is that exactly? Because men can't get raped to death? Is it not just as horrible a crime? Or simply because women are raped more than men.

A man who was raped would probably respond worse to that comment than a woman who hasn't, would you agree?

And why is that exactly? Because men can't get raped to death? Is it not just as horrible a crime? Or simply because women are raped more than men.

A man who was raped would probably respond worse to that comment than a woman who hasn't, would you agree?
Definitely. Men being raped is vastly underreported / overlooked because so few men will come forward and report it because of the bullshit macho culture (hint: you perpetuate it) in society. Also the avalanche of prison rape jokes in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE makes people think A) they deserved it for commiting a crime and/or B) it's not a big deal.

however, that all being said, yeah, women are much more sexually assaulted than men still despite the above and it's a more real fear for them than the inverse due to rape culture and the patriarchy

So, in summation, written abuse that aligns with historical cultural flaws against specific groups is explicitly unacceptable, but can be situationally acceptable against other groups as long as they haven't suffered similar injustices (Whether known or unknown)

Let's replace Adria Richards with Paul Christophoro from Ocean Marketing.

Paul had a bit of a tiff with Penny Arcade, background thread here: https://www.halforums.com/threads/maker-of-game-controllers-declares-war-on-penny-arcade.26947/

He received death threats to his family, to himself, to his business; threats of rape, violence, basically everything that Adria Richards received and certainly a wider audience due to Penny Arcade's popularity

I want to draw your attention to one specific post you made in that thread:
https://www.halforums.com/threads/m...-war-on-penny-arcade.26947/page-3#post-896884

I have zero sympathy for the PR guy and am not defending him in any way.
Selective sympathy is the worst kind of arrogance. You explicitly sanctioned the abuse one person received based on the fact that he has probably not been raped in the past?

Is your world view so coloured by bigotry? I can tolerate bigots; often they don't know the damage they do. Zealots, no.

holy shit you got me!!!

I only knew about the professional abuse / people disowning his products on twitter, what the PA guys did publically, this is actually the first I heard that he had death threats to him and his family.

And in this thread, ladies and gentlemen, Charlie got OWNED!
not really, I had no idea him / his family was personally threatened or harassed, I wouldn't have said "I have zero sympathy" if I knew that. My shallow reading of that thing was just people bullying his controllers or whatever

not really, I had no idea him / his family was personally threatened or harassed, I wouldn't have said "I have zero sympathy" if I knew that. My shallow reading of that thing was just people bullying his controllers or whatever
This isn't an attack, I like you Charlie, but your shallow involvement in everything is why so many people argue with you.

Except Gilgamesh, that's just his fetish.

I was cutting off (lol) any bad jokes like that

also it would be rape since I'm heterosexual
Really? i didn't think it would be too big of a gap, but i always pegged you as somebody who would enjoy pegging.

Don't be so silly Charlie, anal sex isn't just for gay people and regular women.

Do you think dog pile is a reference to rape?

Status
Not open for further replies.