Export thread

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Zappit

Zappit

It’s breaking right now on CNN. RGB has died from Pancreatic cancer.

Fuck.

Edit - Daily Beast has an article up.

Dei

Dei

Fuck

Krisken

Krisken

FUCK. FUCK FUCK FUCK.

drifter

drifter

In a smaller, person-to-person context: aw man, that sucks but damn she had a good run.

In a broader, societal context: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Gared

Gared

FUCK.

But also, Rest in Power, Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Fuuuuuuuuck.

Though it kinda sucks she wouldnt retire when obama was president because she didn't want a black guy picking her replacement.

That being said fuuuuuuuuck

figmentPez

figmentPez

There is no possible rating for this post that could possibly encapsulate how distressing this is. I may just log-off completely for the rest of the day and try to escape the awful mess this is going to cause on social media.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Fuck.

Frank

Frank

This is the most 2020 thread of 2020.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, if you told me 5 years ago that the passing of RBG would fill me with dread...

Denbrought

Denbrought

Ah, shit.

phil

phil

I mean...could they even rush someone in before the election? Like...they stalled for a fuckin' year when Scalia died. Dems just need to buy a few months if Biden wins.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I mean...could they even rush someone in before the election? Like...they stalled for a fuckin' year when Scalia died. Dems just need to buy a few months if Biden wins.
They could have the new person by next week. They won't let this slide.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Listen, I have nothing but the utmost respect for justice Ginsberg, and normally I would say may she rest in peace. But with everything that's going on? We need to weekend at Bernie's this shit, at least until the election.

Dei

Dei

Listen, I have nothing but the utmost respect for justice Ginsberg, and normally I would say may she rest in peace. But with everything that's going on? We need to weekend at Bernie's this shit, at least until the election.
We had to do that BEFORE the announcement.
Post automatically merged:

Realistically, I'm willing to bet everyone knew it was coming. That's why Mitch rammed through a bunch of federal judges and Trump released a new SCOTUS list.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I hate everything.

Dave

Dave

NOOOOOO!! Fuck no!

Dave

Dave

They could have the new person by next week. They won't let this slide.
They will not. The hypocrisy is out of the fucking stratosphere. And it might be...Ted fucking Cruz.

blotsfan

blotsfan

And it might be...Ted fucking Cruz.
Thats the one thing I doubt. They won't lose the vote of an active republican senator.

Dei

Dei

They will not. The hypocrisy is out of the fucking stratosphere. And it might be...Ted fucking Cruz.
I don't think it will be, because he already said he would turn it down and Trump probably didn't like that.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Thats the one thing I doubt. They won't lose the vote of an active republican senator.
With all the other laws they're breaking, what's to stop them from having a Republican be both a Senator and a Supreme Court Justice?

Dei

Dei

And TBH, Ted Cruz is on the less scary side of that list.

blotsfan

blotsfan

With all the other laws they're breaking, what's to stop them from having a Republican be both a Senator and a Supreme Court Justice?
Because they have a fascist society guy who is younger ready to go.

blotsfan

blotsfan

She couldnt fucking hold out another 5 months

Bubble181

Bubble181

Still beats Bill Barr. Or a Trump.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Fuck. Fuck fucking fuck fuck. Fuck!

blotsfan

blotsfan

1600477433520.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

could they even rush someone in before the election?
No, of course not. Everyone knows that the Republicans would never allow a confirmation to go through so close to an election. That's something for the next President to decide.

Also, FUCK.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

We need to vote both houses blue and the white house. Then we can expand the court. But if we lose any of the three...Well, it's been a nice experiment while it lasted.

I honestly believe the US as we know it - a representative democracy - will be no more. The new court will be beholden to eradicating rights for women, LGBTQ, and people of color. They will also come down heavily if not completely in favor of religious bigotry, a merging of church and state (christian, of course), and corporations.

PatrThom

PatrThom

a merging of church and state (christian, of course), and corporations.
"In the name of our President and CEO, Jesus Christ."
...ugh.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well, @GasBandit you were willing to come around that sometimes you haeve to vote for the lesser of two evils, so I'll come around to being pro-US balkanization.

jwhouk

jwhouk

PERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELEPERKELE

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, @GasBandit you were willing to come around that sometimes you haeve to vote for the lesser of two evils, so I'll come around to being pro-US balkanization.
I hate that we're on the same page, but not for the reason one would have thought in the before-fore-time.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I hate that we're on the same page, but not for the reason one would have thought in the before-fore-time.
Thats politics for you.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Thats politics for you.
Strange bedfellows, indeed.

--Patrick

Gryfter

Gryfter

Aw fuck.

Kovac

Kovac

It has been 80 years since a Supreme Court vacancy was nominated and confirmed in an election year. There is a long tradition that you don’t do this in an election year.
- Ted Cruz (2016)

We are one vote away from losing our fundamental constitutional liberties. I believe @realDonaldTrump should nominate a successor next week and the Senate should take up and confirm that successor before Election Day.
- Ted Cruz (2020)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Bubble181

Bubble181

Justice Melania.
Justice Barr.
Justice Cruz.
Justice... Sigh. I can think of so many horrible things.

Will we need a separate thread in the politics subforum? I think we do.
Also, this could very well be an early October surprise, as especially if they postpone till after the election, this will motivate millions of evangelicals who may have been unsure about voting, to go and vote for the literal anti-Christ.
Political ads will ALL be about the baby-eating black monster Biden would place there.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I hope you realize the general reaction isn't really about her.

Bubble181

Bubble181

If she died under president Obama, or H Clinton, or Biden, she'd be celebrated as an influential justice, a big name, hero of feminism, etc.
Now that she died under Trump, it's... Well, yeah. Her death is very likely to be the #1 important topic this election, even over Covid19 - especially for "real" conservatives and evangelicals. The Never Trumpers and the ones who didn't like either choice.
Sad for her, but true.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Boy I hope the senate democrats are warming up their filibustering muscles.

PatrThom

PatrThom

They'll have to get the floor, first.

Dammit, why can't it be McConnell who gets mandibular cancer or something like that? SO unfair.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

1600534619261.png

Bubble181

Bubble181

See him nominate Barron.

Dei

Dei

I'm waiting for it to be Ivanka. But it'll be someone much more horrific.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ivanka needs to be able to become president next.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I’m waiting for him to nominate Donald Trump himself “...in an attempt to unify the Executive and Legislative branches,” or some other such BS.

—Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

I’m waiting for him to nominate Donald Trump himself “...in an attempt to unify the Executive and Legislative branches,” or some other such BS.

—Patrick
I'm pretty sure there's no law saying Ivanka can't be president while Kushner is Justice. And stuff.

Dave

Dave

We need to vote both houses blue and the white house. Then we can expand the court. But if we lose any of the three...Well, it's been a nice experiment while it lasted.

I honestly believe the US as we know it - a representative democracy - will be no more. The new court will be beholden to eradicating rights for women, LGBTQ, and people of color. They will also come down heavily if not completely in favor of religious bigotry, a merging of church and state (christian, of course), and corporations.
Damn I hate being right.

PatrThom

PatrThom

President Obama has released a statement. Here is an excerpt:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg fought to the end, through her cancer, with unwavering faith in our democracy and its ideals. That’s how we remember her. But she also left instructions for how she wanted her legacy to be honored.

Four and a half years ago, when Republicans refused to hold a hearing or an up-or-down vote on Merrick Garland, they invented the principle that the Senate shouldn’t fill an open seat on the Supreme Court before a new president was sworn in.

A basic principle of the law — and of everyday fairness — is that we apply rules with consistency, and not based on what’s convenient or advantageous in the moment. The rule of law, the legitimacy of our courts, the fundamental workings of our democracy all depend on that basic principle.
—Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They're obviously trying to rush swearing someone in because they know they're likely losing this election. Assuming they don't do whatever they can to suppress voters, of course.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Just got to hope the voters don't shoot back.

GasBandit

GasBandit

1600612055235.png