ROLLER COASTERS, Holy crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a confession. I've never understood the appeal of roller coasters. They terrify me, and I don't like voluntarily terrifying myself.

Also, I brought my Man Card, where do I go to turn it in?

I have a confession. I've never understood the appeal of roller coasters. They terrify me, and I don't like voluntarily terrifying myself.

Also, I brought my Man Card, where do I go to turn it in?
Adrenaline = euphoric feeling.

By the numbers, roller coasters are probably one of the safest ways to get an adrenaline rush. Personally, I've never understood why people are terrified of things like rollercoasters when in reality you should be more terrified by shit like heart disease or car accidents.

Best coaster at Hershey Park:

I love this ride!

Steel Force at Dorney Park also kicks ass:

That must depend on how many of the riders are....larger than average.

That Hershey Park coaster looks kinda tame. Doesn't look much better than the Mindbender at West Edmonton Mall.

That must depend on how many of the riders are....larger than average.

That Hershey Park coaster looks kinda tame. Doesn't look much better than the Mindbender at West Edmonton Mall.
At cedar point with essentially the same coaster, they have weight sensors that weigh the whole train prior to launch, and apply the correct force. The ride is so busy they don't have time to do a relaunch, so if anything they give it a little more than needed, but it almost always goes over.

When it doesn't they do have to relaunch it. The ride is designed so that a backwards running car cannot possibly run into the car that's loading in the station, which also means they can't unload you until you've gone over...

The launch is awesome, though. It just amazes me how much power is used to get that thing going that fast in such a short period of time.

I didnt get to go on the dragster (the coaster stienman is talking about) but I do know someone that has gone on it and not made it over the top.

Though theres a very good chance shes the reason why...

I didnt get to go on the dragster (the coaster stienman is talking about) but I do know someone that has gone on it and not made it over the top.

Though theres a very good chance shes the reason why...
Fat chance, in a matter of speaking.

Here's Expedition Geforce from Holiday Park at Haßloch/Germany. The toughest coaster I ever rode (mind you, I didn't ride too many).
Funny fact: the coaster was a gift from the park to its guests for the 30th anniversary (iirc).

Fun fact: All cars have a little plaque reading "Expedition Geforce - Mega Roller Coaster", only one of them has "Mega Cost Roller" imprinted :)

Dave

Staff member
My wife doesn't like rollercoasters and I don't like rides which spin endlessly. Thus, we are totally incompatible when it comes to amusement parks. So we don't go. But I fucking love a rollercoaster.

I've only really been on three rollercoasters, and one of them is wooden so doesn't have any loops or corkscrews or anything like that. I hated them as a kid, I liked them as a teenager, but I have a nasty habit of blacking out at the tops of loops or the tightest park of a corkscrew, which just kinda ruins the experience.

Almost makes me wish I still lived in Buffalo so that Canada's Wonderland wasn't so far away.
I was terrified of roller coasters growing up, I don't think it was until I was 15 or 16 that I finally went on one that actually went upside down.
This was my first upside down roller coaster, and if I'm being honest, I have to say is still one of my favourites I've been on:

Short and sweet; drop, loop, loop back down, up, sudden stop, do it all again in reverse. :D
True Story, when I was 7 my parents tried to drag me onto The Bat, and I threw such a fit and cried so hard the lady running the ride wouldn't let them.

CSI Already did an episode about a roller coaster killing someone. I think it wound up being a dude who worked at the park who took girls there after hours to have sex on the rides, and I think this other guy loosed a nut on the ride or something out of jealousy. Something like that.
'Course, I'm sure they've revisited plots plenty of times.

Almost makes me wish I still lived in Buffalo so that Canada's Wonderland wasn't so far away.

True Story, when I was 7 my parents tried to drag me onto The Bat, and I threw such a fit and cried so hard the lady running the ride wouldn't let them.
I wouldn't have gone on when I was 7 either. I wouldn't even go on most WATER SLIDES when I was 7, let alone roller coasters. And anything that went upside down was right out.

I wouldn't have gone on when I was 7 either. I wouldn't even go on most WATER SLIDES when I was 7, let alone roller coasters. And anything that went upside down was right out.
See, but my 5 year old brother went on the mother fuckin Bat, I was a total wussy!

My first upside down coaster was the roller coaster in New York New York in las vegas.

I didn't really like it though so it was a few years before I went on another upside-down one.

GasBandit

Staff member
I like metal roller coasters. The old wood ones just bounce and slam me around too much. I don't mind loops in roller coasters, but I hate the rides that make you hang upside down for extended periods of time.

I remember going on The Big Bad Wolf in Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, PA back when it was a big deal because it was one of the two first "hanging from the track" type roller coasters there were (the other was XLR-8 at Astroworld in Houston). They're both gone now.

My favorite coaster no longer exists; Tidal Wave, at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Illinois.

It was very simple: slingshot "push" system catapulted the train forward into a single loop, then up an incline... and then, you did the whole thing backwards, through the station, up another short incline, then back to the station, and to a stop. Best 30 seconds in the world.

True story: I actually WORKED on Tidal Wave. It was a complicated setup. Once the train got clear of the station brakes, you couldn't do anything about it. If the counterweight failed and dropped lower than it was supposed to, you theoretically could "ring the bell" at the top of the first incline. Gravity suggested that the train couldn't get stuck upside-down, of course, but there were one or two times when the train had gotten stuck between the far incline and the loop.

They took it down in favor of Batman: The Ride.

sigh

M

makare

The only big roller coaster I have ever been on was the one at DollyWood. I think it is called Tennessee Tornado. I doubt it is all that impressive but it was fun. I like rollercoasters ok but I prefer spinny rides. Whenever I am on a roller coaster I worry about my glasses falling off.

I also like

My favorite coaster no longer exists; Tidal Wave, at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Illinois.

It was very simple: slingshot "push" system catapulted the train forward into a single loop, then up an incline... and then, you did the whole thing backwards, through the station, up another short incline, then back to the station, and to a stop. Best 30 seconds in the world.

True story: I actually WORKED on Tidal Wave. It was a complicated setup. Once the train got clear of the station brakes, you couldn't do anything about it. If the counterweight failed and dropped lower than it was supposed to, you theoretically could "ring the bell" at the top of the first incline. Gravity suggested that the train couldn't get stuck upside-down, of course, but there were one or two times when the train had gotten stuck between the far incline and the loop.

sigh
That's pretty similar to how The Bat at Wonderland works.

ElJuski

Staff member

sigh
Fuck that Batman is one of my favorite rides at Six Flags.

I like metal roller coasters. The old wood ones just bounce and slam me around too much. I don't mind loops in roller coasters, but I hate the rides that make you hang upside down for extended periods of time.

I remember going on The Big Bad Wolf in Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, PA back when it was a big deal because it was one of the two first "hanging from the track" type roller coasters there were (the other was XLR-8 at Astroworld in Houston). They're both gone now.
I'm pretty sure the only wooden one I've been on is the Mighty Canadian Minebuster at Wonderland, and yeah it's a bumpy ride, but it's a staple of the trip. You pretty much have to ride it if you're there.
Still never been on any of those ones where you hang from the track. They terrify me, and I'm always worried I'm going to lose a shoe or something. I need to have my feet planted. The big one at Wonderland used to be Top Gun, but since Canada's Wonderland is no longer "Paramount Canada's Wonderland" they had to change the name of it, now it's called Flight Deck. Before Behemoth, that was probably the biggest draw to the park.

Jack Rabbit is still one of the best ever...

(Rear seats give you the best air on that double dip.)

Thunderbolt. Bench seats, no single riders. That mixing bowl middle is why. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.