Export thread

ROLLER COASTERS, Holy crap.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I didn't even know this was happening, but Canada's Wonderland has apparently been building a new, BIG ASS ROLLER COASTER.
http://www.thestar.com/news/article...ster-leviathan-tallest-fastest-in-canada?bn=1
Leviathan is now the tallest and fastest roller coaster in Canada.
Leviathan is the third tallest traditional lift-style coaster in the world, behind a 96.6-metre monster in Japan and a 94.2-metre tummy turner in Sandusky, Ohio.
The Leviathon starts off with a 93.3m (306.10ft) drop at 80 degrees, going 148km/h (about 90mph)

I rode the Behemoth (formerly the biggest roller coaster Wonderland had) two years ago and that was amazing. Pants-poopingly terrifying, but awesome. The drop on this this thing is 20metres higher than that one.

I may have to shell out the money to go to Wonderland this summer and check this bad boy out. But I may just be too terrified to ride it once I see the thing...

strawman

strawman

I have to admit I don't appreciate as much as I should the fact that I'm only 3 hours from cedar point. I haven't been in years, either. Hopefully this summer...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

^And your family will get its own coaster train all to themselves!

Gusto

Gusto

Jesus Christ YES.

strawman

strawman

^And your family will get its own coaster train all to themselves!
We reserve one 2 months in advance.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Hmmm, I'm a reasonable drive away from Canadas wonderland and Cedar Point. Maybe this summer I'll compare and fill you in on all the results. You know, for science!

SeraRelm

We need Docseverin in here talking about "rails are for pussies" or something. :D

ElJuski

ElJuski

That sounds awesome.

I love going down to King's Dominion...recently fell in love with roller coasters. Frightened to death of them as a kid, liked them as a teen, now can't get enough of 'em.

Have you guys noticed that all roller coasters basically sound like sex acts?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Somehow I skipped this part when I read the article before:
Leviathan’s 1,672 metres of blue painted steel, like ribbons in the sky, either entrance or horrify at first sight. There’s nothing subtle about it.
1,672 metres

You guys,it's over a mile long.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Why not? You wait for hours, then you hang on for dear life while you get whipped back and forth, and then it's over in a couple of minutes and you have trouble walking.

--Patrick

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I was terrified of roller coasters growing up, I don't think it was until I was 15 or 16 that I finally went on one that actually went upside down.
This was my first upside down roller coaster, and if I'm being honest, I have to say is still one of my favourites I've been on:

Short and sweet; drop, loop, loop back down, up, sudden stop, do it all again in reverse. :D

Gusto

Gusto

The Bat is one of my favourites too. :)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was terrified of roller coasters growing up, I don't think it was until I was 15 or 16 that I finally went on one that actually went upside down.
This was my first upside down roller coaster, and if I'm being honest, I have to say is still one of my favourites I've been on:

Short and sweet; drop, loop, loop back down, up, sudden stop, do it all again in reverse. :D
Wow... that does sound like sex.

SeraRelm

You'll ride it reverse cowgirl?

strawman

strawman

You'll ride it reverse cowgirl?
:unibrow:

fade

fade

just don't lean forward because the SEAT DOESN'T BEND THAT WAY.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I've never been on a roller coaster. :(

Gusto

Gusto

Please keep all arms and legs inside at all times.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I like Hana Barbera land. The Ghoster Coaster is my favourite.

Mathias

Mathias

Neat we have one of those at Hershey Park where I live:

The Sidewinder

My favorite coaster there.

SeraRelm

You live near Hershey Park?

Mathias

Mathias

You live near Hershey Park?
Yeah about 20 minutes away.

Don't tell me you're an E-towner

SeraRelm

Huh... I'm not too far from there either. The zoo is a nice day trip.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Isn't that just down the Hershey Highway?

I'll leave now

Mathias

Mathias

Huh... I'm not too far from there either. The zoo is a nice day trip.
If you're in Mount Joy, I'm going to shit my pants.

SeraRelm

No, not Elizabethtown, near Harrisburg.

Mathias

Mathias

No, not Elizabethtown, near Harrisburg.
Ah ok. Well doesn't it make you feel awesome that you're just a hop skip and a 283 away from me?

SeraRelm

Not sure if that's the word I'd use.

Frank

Frank

148km/h (about 60mph)
Yon estimation be super off.

I will definitely be going on that coaster next time I'm on that side of the country.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yon estimation be super off.

I will definitely be going on that coaster next time I'm on that side of the country.
I typed it into the converter on my phone and that's what it came out with.
*EDIT> Hmm, must have made a typo. Right, more like 90mph. I thought it seemed low

Frank

Frank

It's closer to 90 miles, that's all.

100 miles = 160 km give or take.

NOT THE POINT THOUGH! That coaster looks awesome and I want to ride it.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

148 kilometers = 91.9629365 miles according to my Googly master.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I need to take another trip to Kennywood. Haven't been up there since they opened the Phantom's Revenge.

General Specific

General Specific

Bowielee

Bowielee

I haven't been on a roller coaster in a good 13 years.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, that Wildcat is one of the most underrated coasters I've ever ridden.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh god... watching this is making me sick to my stomach.

Emrys

Emrys

Oh, baby, yes! Yes!
I need to go lie down now.

Terrik

Terrik

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I shouldn't have eaten that extra hotdog.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I need a frozen lemonade now.

Docseverin

Docseverin

We need Docseverin in here talking about "rails are for pussies" or something. :D
Rails are for pussies :D, Also 308ft for the first drop seems low.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I have a confession. I've never understood the appeal of roller coasters. They terrify me, and I don't like voluntarily terrifying myself.

Also, I brought my Man Card, where do I go to turn it in?

Mathias

Mathias

I have a confession. I've never understood the appeal of roller coasters. They terrify me, and I don't like voluntarily terrifying myself.

Also, I brought my Man Card, where do I go to turn it in?
Adrenaline = euphoric feeling.

By the numbers, roller coasters are probably one of the safest ways to get an adrenaline rush. Personally, I've never understood why people are terrified of things like rollercoasters when in reality you should be more terrified by shit like heart disease or car accidents.

Best coaster at Hershey Park:

I love this ride!

Steel Force at Dorney Park also kicks ass:

Mathias

Mathias

My absolute favorite is Kingda Ka at Six Flags. This thing is nuts. Sometimes it doesn't have enough force to make it over the loop, so they let it roll back to the station and relaunch the bastard again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=CHnlRFkakYc

Frank

Frank

That must depend on how many of the riders are....larger than average.

That Hershey Park coaster looks kinda tame. Doesn't look much better than the Mindbender at West Edmonton Mall.

strawman

strawman

That Hershey Park coaster looks kinda tame. Doesn't look much better than the Mindbender at West Edmonton Mall.
At cedar point with essentially the same coaster, they have weight sensors that weigh the whole train prior to launch, and apply the correct force. The ride is so busy they don't have time to do a relaunch, so if anything they give it a little more than needed, but it almost always goes over.

When it doesn't they do have to relaunch it. The ride is designed so that a backwards running car cannot possibly run into the car that's loading in the station, which also means they can't unload you until you've gone over...

The launch is awesome, though. It just amazes me how much power is used to get that thing going that fast in such a short period of time.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I didnt get to go on the dragster (the coaster stienman is talking about) but I do know someone that has gone on it and not made it over the top.

Though theres a very good chance shes the reason why...

Just Me

Just Me

I didnt get to go on the dragster (the coaster stienman is talking about) but I do know someone that has gone on it and not made it over the top.

Though theres a very good chance shes the reason why...
Fat chance, in a matter of speaking.

Here's Expedition Geforce from Holiday Park at Haßloch/Germany. The toughest coaster I ever rode (mind you, I didn't ride too many).
Funny fact: the coaster was a gift from the park to its guests for the 30th anniversary (iirc).

Fun fact: All cars have a little plaque reading "Expedition Geforce - Mega Roller Coaster", only one of them has "Mega Cost Roller" imprinted :)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

My absolute favorite is Kingda Ka at Six Flags. This thing is nuts. Sometimes it doesn't have enough force to make it over the loop, so they let it roll back to the station and relaunch the bastard again.
That looks INSANE.

Dave

Dave

My wife doesn't like rollercoasters and I don't like rides which spin endlessly. Thus, we are totally incompatible when it comes to amusement parks. So we don't go. But I fucking love a rollercoaster.

Gared

Gared

I've only really been on three rollercoasters, and one of them is wooden so doesn't have any loops or corkscrews or anything like that. I hated them as a kid, I liked them as a teenager, but I have a nasty habit of blacking out at the tops of loops or the tightest park of a corkscrew, which just kinda ruins the experience.

PatrThom

PatrThom

roller coasters are probably one of the safest ways to get an adrenaline rush.
Make sure you check the name of the ride before you get on, though.

‘Euthanasia’ roller-coaster designed to thrill (and kill) riders.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Well, I know what the next episode of csi is going to be about

blotsfan

blotsfan

Too bad because that ride looks really fun.

Dei

Dei

Almost makes me wish I still lived in Buffalo so that Canada's Wonderland wasn't so far away.

True Story, when I was 7 my parents tried to drag me onto The Bat, and I threw such a fit and cried so hard the lady running the ride wouldn't let them.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

CSI Already did an episode about a roller coaster killing someone. I think it wound up being a dude who worked at the park who took girls there after hours to have sex on the rides, and I think this other guy loosed a nut on the ride or something out of jealousy. Something like that.
'Course, I'm sure they've revisited plots plenty of times.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Almost makes me wish I still lived in Buffalo so that Canada's Wonderland wasn't so far away.

True Story, when I was 7 my parents tried to drag me onto The Bat, and I threw such a fit and cried so hard the lady running the ride wouldn't let them.
I wouldn't have gone on when I was 7 either. I wouldn't even go on most WATER SLIDES when I was 7, let alone roller coasters. And anything that went upside down was right out.

Dei

Dei

I wouldn't have gone on when I was 7 either. I wouldn't even go on most WATER SLIDES when I was 7, let alone roller coasters. And anything that went upside down was right out.
See, but my 5 year old brother went on the mother fuckin Bat, I was a total wussy!

blotsfan

blotsfan

My first upside down coaster was the roller coaster in New York New York in las vegas.

I didn't really like it though so it was a few years before I went on another upside-down one.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I like metal roller coasters. The old wood ones just bounce and slam me around too much. I don't mind loops in roller coasters, but I hate the rides that make you hang upside down for extended periods of time.

I remember going on The Big Bad Wolf in Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, PA back when it was a big deal because it was one of the two first "hanging from the track" type roller coasters there were (the other was XLR-8 at Astroworld in Houston). They're both gone now.

jwhouk

jwhouk

My favorite coaster no longer exists; Tidal Wave, at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Illinois.

It was very simple: slingshot "push" system catapulted the train forward into a single loop, then up an incline... and then, you did the whole thing backwards, through the station, up another short incline, then back to the station, and to a stop. Best 30 seconds in the world.

True story: I actually WORKED on Tidal Wave. It was a complicated setup. Once the train got clear of the station brakes, you couldn't do anything about it. If the counterweight failed and dropped lower than it was supposed to, you theoretically could "ring the bell" at the top of the first incline. Gravity suggested that the train couldn't get stuck upside-down, of course, but there were one or two times when the train had gotten stuck between the far incline and the loop.

They took it down in favor of Batman: The Ride.

sigh

makare

The only big roller coaster I have ever been on was the one at DollyWood. I think it is called Tennessee Tornado. I doubt it is all that impressive but it was fun. I like rollercoasters ok but I prefer spinny rides. Whenever I am on a roller coaster I worry about my glasses falling off.

I also like

Jay

Jay

This ride is intense.

Don't wear sandals.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

My favorite coaster no longer exists; Tidal Wave, at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Illinois.

It was very simple: slingshot "push" system catapulted the train forward into a single loop, then up an incline... and then, you did the whole thing backwards, through the station, up another short incline, then back to the station, and to a stop. Best 30 seconds in the world.

True story: I actually WORKED on Tidal Wave. It was a complicated setup. Once the train got clear of the station brakes, you couldn't do anything about it. If the counterweight failed and dropped lower than it was supposed to, you theoretically could "ring the bell" at the top of the first incline. Gravity suggested that the train couldn't get stuck upside-down, of course, but there were one or two times when the train had gotten stuck between the far incline and the loop.

sigh
That's pretty similar to how The Bat at Wonderland works.

ElJuski

ElJuski

sigh
Fuck that Batman is one of my favorite rides at Six Flags.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I like metal roller coasters. The old wood ones just bounce and slam me around too much. I don't mind loops in roller coasters, but I hate the rides that make you hang upside down for extended periods of time.

I remember going on The Big Bad Wolf in Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, PA back when it was a big deal because it was one of the two first "hanging from the track" type roller coasters there were (the other was XLR-8 at Astroworld in Houston). They're both gone now.
I'm pretty sure the only wooden one I've been on is the Mighty Canadian Minebuster at Wonderland, and yeah it's a bumpy ride, but it's a staple of the trip. You pretty much have to ride it if you're there.
Still never been on any of those ones where you hang from the track. They terrify me, and I'm always worried I'm going to lose a shoe or something. I need to have my feet planted. The big one at Wonderland used to be Top Gun, but since Canada's Wonderland is no longer "Paramount Canada's Wonderland" they had to change the name of it, now it's called Flight Deck. Before Behemoth, that was probably the biggest draw to the park.

Mathias

Mathias

Your face is tame.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Jack Rabbit is still one of the best ever...

(Rear seats give you the best air on that double dip.)

Thunderbolt. Bench seats, no single riders. That mixing bowl middle is why. :)

SeraRelm

All the forum drama provides enough of an emotional roller coaster for me :D

PatrThom

PatrThom

So, you say you love roller coasters? Think they're too "ordinary?"

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

They had one of those in West Ed. Called it the Galaxy Twister.

It fucking sucked. Being suspended upside down isn't fun to me.