Rant VIII: The Reckoning

figmentPez

Staff member
Thanks for finding this for me Cheesy.

Here is what I posted late yesterday in another thread:
This morning I woke up walking on air after a fantastic dream, but then...

Just after noon I got a call from home; my sister found one of our cats drowned in the pool this morning. We don't even know how it happened. He's fallen in before and managed to get out on his own. My sister was alone in the house when this happened. My parents haven't even gotten home from the trip they were on. This is the third cat we've lost this month. Jake just disappeared, Barnum died from old age and now J.J. is gone as well. Jett Jackson was such a sweetheart. He'd always follow my sister whenever she went outside, like he was protecting her from the world, and he'd get made if she went into the woods alone. Inside, though, he became a big baby who wanted to be cuddled.

I miss him so much. I miss all of them. It feels like little bits of home are being taken away from me while I'm away.

Not to offend any religious people here but I am sick of Christians telling me what to think and do. I am tired of them telling me that "hating" and "strongly disliking" are different things. THEY'RE NOT! THEY ARE THE SAME THING! I am also tired of "offending" people with a mere joke. IT'S 2012 JERKS! If you haven't inherited the ability to take a joke by now than you are freaking miserable. It bugs me even more since I'm not Christian and they expect me to have their same values and will ridicule me if I don't. Land of the free indeed.

Once again, I don't hate all Christians. Just the jerky ones I know.

Cajungal

Staff member
Amen to that. I know a pretty pushy catholic family. They treat their one lapsed daughter reeeaally differently from their other kid. That kind of behavior sucks, no matter what your beliefs are.

The most obvious pushy ones are the religious ones only because they're the most vocal with their hellfire and brimstone.

Speaking of which, I think I've talked about my aunt before. She's incredibly religious, though a large part of that is because her son/my cousin was born with hydrocephalus (water in the brain). So her religion is the cornerstone of her inner strength to keep going. She had a nervous breakdown a number of years ago where she interrupted the priest during a sermon to preach. She's a good person overall, but there are times that her beliefs have really clashed with mine to the point that I'm ashamed to have her as part of my family.

Anyway, a few quick stories regarding her:
-She has picketed outside of abortion clinics on a number of occasions.
-When I moved in with my now ex-girlfriend years ago, she called me to congratulate me on moving out of my parents place...and to ask when we would be living together more "properly" (in the eyes of God, in other words). I almost wanted to tell her, "You know what? We also had dirty, premarital sex."
-Another cousin was marrying her partner out in Vancouver. My aunt wrote her a long, scathing letter about how wrong it was that she was homosexual, getting married is a sin, yadda yadda. Apparently, my cousin's uncle called my aunt and tore her a new one.

I'm an agnostic and how dare you take a solid stance in either pro or opposed that a deity of one form or another may or may not exist!

I am tired of them telling me that "hating" and "strongly disliking" are different things. THEY'RE NOT! THEY ARE THE SAME THING
I will disagree with you on this point. Hating and strongly disliking are very different.

Hatred is a burning passion, very intense and takes lots of energy. I honestly cannot say that I have, or currently do, hate anything. I cannot physically keep up the energy to hate.

Strongly disliking, you betcha. I'm there. Beans, peas, mustard, mayonnaise, flyers left on my car... but I don't hate them.

That is the difference that I see between those two terms. It might seem minor to you, but a very big difference to me.

Same here-ish.
To me, hatred implies an active dislike, whereas "strong dislike" is still passive.
As a bit of an example, if I strongly dislike something, I will pick it last. If I hate something, I might pick it first and then destroy it, just to make sure nobody gets it.

--Patrick

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, true. But still it bugs me when people tell me I can't hate certain things. Like a certain politician who almost got my father fired from his work. I will never forgive him.Don't get me wrong, I don't let it control my life but my hatred for Christi will be there for a long time.

You can see about my reason to rant in the NSFL Picture thread.
My GF and I left for a road trip around Europe, and on the first day, a tire blew out and we landed upside down in a field nearby. Luckily and sorta miraculously neither of us are injured, but still. She doesn't have a job but could work full time babysitting sick kids while looking for a new good job when we got back...But you need a car for that. She was coming closer to paying off her loan for the car so she could finally start saving...Well, there that goes. No car, no job, no money - and some debts to pay for a wreck. Because a frickin' tire blew. A bit slower or on another road and I could've just replaced a tire.

Damn it!

So after posting screenshot manipulation art on a certain community for years, and even helping the community grow by bringing in viewers looking for my work, the admins decided that we (screenshot manipulators) were not worth maintaining. They, out of the blue, gave us a one week notice to collect our stuff and get out before the board is deleted.

It's caused a huge back and forth shitstorm between the people who frequented the board and those that felt our stuff was never worth maintaining. The admins still won't even give a consistent reason for the closure. Our board was more popular and gathered more replies and views then even the general art board, so the whole thing stinks of jealousy (all the admins are artists who never come to our board). It's stupid, and while I have to respect what they are doing since they own the place, I sure am not going to be happy about it.

Anyways I just had to get that off my chest.

Damn it!

So after posting screenshot manipulation art on a certain community for years, and even helping the community grow by bringing in viewers looking for my work, the admins decided that we (screenshot manipulators) were not worth maintaining. They, out of the blue, gave us a one week notice to collect our stuff and get out before the board is deleted.

It's caused a huge back and forth shitstorm between the people who frequented the board and those that felt our stuff was never worth maintaining. The admins still won't even give a consistent reason for the closure. Our board was more popular and gathered more replies and views then even the general art board, so the whole thing stinks of jealousy (all the admins are artists who never come to our board). It's stupid, and while I have to respect what they are doing since they own the place, I sure am not going to be happy about it.

Anyways I just had to get that off my chest.

Is this sort of thing that is easy to start up elsewhere, such as a place known to be a home for cast off communities? I don't know of any such place per se, but I thought Dave might have some ideas.

Dave

Staff member
Bring 'em! They are welcome here. They'd get their very own sub & everything! Hell, I might even give them a page of their own.

Dave, I'm pretty sure that when he says "certain community", it means that the forum would need to be... adult oriented, as it were. And I think you did away with the adult sub-forum.

Dave, I'm pretty sure that when he says "certain community", it means that the forum would need to be... adult oriented, as it were. And I think you did away with the adult sub-forum.
Yes I was being rather careful about it but now I realize I shouldn't have been, it's adult oriented art on a forum that is all about adult art and stories.

You don't want these people here, Dave, trust me. This is not the type of forum that would fit these type of artists. :dumb:

Dave

Staff member
Yes I was being rather careful about it but now I realize I shouldn't have been, it's adult oriented art on a forum that is all about adult art and stories.

You don't want these people here, Dave, trust me. This is not the type of forum that would fit these type of artists. :dumb:
Dig it.

But the NSFW is still there, you just have to Join the User Group to see it. Apparently that's where that misanthropy thread is. I had no idea what he was talking about.

Still, if they agreed to keep it in the NSFW area that could be a home for them. Hell, that's what it's for!!

Still, if they agreed to keep it in the NSFW area that could be a home for them. Hell, that's what it's for!!
Really, while the offer is nice I am a person of two worlds, and I would prefer to keep that world seperate from this one. It's a personal thing for me.

We will be fine, other websites have already offered to host our community and I started my own personal blog for my own works. It's not going to be bad, it's just dealing with the sting of having the place you go for so long just suddenly having three people decide you and your fellows shouldn't be around.

Dave

Staff member
Really, while the offer is nice I am a person of two worlds, and I would prefer to keep that world seperate from this one. It's a personal thing for me.

We will be fine, other websites have already offered to host our community and I started my own personal blog for my own works. It's not going to be bad, it's just dealing with the sting of having the place you go for so long just suddenly having three people decide you and your fellows shouldn't be around.
I understand both your want to keep these separate...and I really, really, really understand your being upset about someone just dumping a community with no warning or reasons. For some reason I know what that feels like. ;)

One thing I hate about people in college is how they will brag about doing something really smart....and they'll just say it was just for homework that everybody else did the same way. You are not a genius, you are just good at finishing menial homework tasks. A good skill to have, but nothing that'll get you a Nobel prize.

I hate it when dudes freak out and then come back to a forum. Sorry for the trouble, folks. I've been lurking, and this place is addictive.

I hate it when dudes freak out and then come back to a forum. Sorry for the trouble, folks. I've been lurking, and this place is addictive.
One of us! One of us! One of us!!

Meanwhile...

Tomorrow is the first official day of school. I've been working on the schools for the past week or so, helping to set up the classrooms, sharpening pencils, yadda yadda. Tomorrow? It begins.

The first half of my internship is a Kindergarten/Grade 1 split class (no idea how that works). The second half is with a Grade 2 class at another school.

Aaaaand...I'm freaking terrified. I'd mentioned before that I've been in and out of school, trying to finish my undergraduate degree, for about 13 years. So now, I'm coming to the end of academia and I'm just absolutely terrified.