Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Ugh. Night from hell.

This is Mountainfest weekend. 70-80K bikers descending on the area. A dozen or so reservations were made in January, all marked "deposit pending". Meaning they had until the end of June to pay up or give a credit card. Wednesday morning, all of them were still deposit pending. Morning shift called and the woman on the other end said the guys were definitely coming. As of 11 pm, no sign of them. So I call the guy. He said after he talked to a woman from here about a month ago, and she was so rude, there was no frelling way he was ever coming back. So what was one room left to sell for the night suddenly was 14. The only 14 left in town. Cue a three hour stampede as I fill those rooms with desperate travelers. :p

Then... the morning shift girl calls. She's been pulled over by cops. Long story short, she won't be in. Fortunately, the lady who had this morning off agreed to fill in.

Now a big storm is rolling through overhead. Blah.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's supposed to be 100 degrees for the next three days. The cloud of steam that just escaped my car's hood came from the air conditioner. Aaaiiighhh.

So today I was threatened with termination at my job. I am a contingent worker (for those who are not aware a contingent worker is basically a contract worker hired by one company to work at another) and today another coworker and I were called into a meeting with our leads (who are stationed in another state). They told us that our Sponsor (basically the manager of the department of not technically our manager since we are contingent workers) made a complaint that we were both not team players and that we had bad attitudes that is passing on to the rest of the team.

Now we were bother flabbergasted by the accusation because it was obviously untrue. We both may have an occasional bad attitude but that stems from having to much work and not enough time mixed with constantly being questioned and argued with on everything including stuff that is out of our control. Everyone of my coworkers were completely shocked when they heard the news and felt that it was complete bullshit. Now my boss (the one from another state) is coming down on Wednesday and so is our sponsors boss so they can try to figure out what is going on. The worst part is that I and my coworkers know that this is just a retaliatory strike against us for an incident that occurred a few months ago (where our sponsor got in trouble for making some stupid mistakes) and now he is just trying to blame us to get even (as well as save his own ass).

I know that our sponsor has done this kind of thing before and has even been known to go around touting that he has the ability to get any contingent worker fired just because he doesn't like them. He will go around saying that he likes them to everyone's face but than starts to make up lies and half truths in order to get the person fired. And if the workers tries to tell people that it is untrue and is all made up their bosses just tell them that is untrue because the sponsor constantly says he likes them. Now strangely enough I am not as concerned as I probably should be. On one hand his boss does have the power to get rid of me but I have done nothing wrong and I have numerous people who fill be more than happy to back me and my coworker up against the claims. My sponsor strikes me as a rattlesnake who has had the venom removed.

He looks menacing but has no real danger. As long as I avoid being caught in his grip and keep my distance so he can't get a lucky blow in with his fangs I will be just fine. And even if they do manage to wrongfully terminate my contract I am still not overly concerned. As long as I can convince my actual bosses that I am a good worker and that the claims are false they should be able to get me hired on elsewhere. And on top of that my brother has offered if the worse scenario should occur I could move in with him rent free while I get back on my feet. Now granted he is in another state so it would still be an inconvenience I am fairly certain it will not come to that. But all I do know for certain is that Wednesday will be very interesting in any case.

Thanks for all of the good thoughts. I'm back home now. The service was nice. My uncle and his family seem to be holding up pretty well.

The funeral procession was interrupted/broken at three different times by other motorists who, apparently, don't think the law that funeral processions have the right of way applies to them. It made me angry and sad that people have such disrespect.
I have encountered these people many times. One was so obnoxious we almost got into a fight over it. I can't stand these fucking people.

While he was home alone, Dad forgot he was cooking something and accidently started a grease fire. In a panic, he attempted to put it out with water. Suffice to say, half the kitchen is destroyed, and Mom's driving him to the hospital for the smoke he inhaled.

The oven and microwave are ruined as well as many melted plastic containers, but luckily there's no structural damage, there seems to be no internal wall fires and everything else is just a coating of soot making it look worse than it is. Dad should be fine, he's already out of the doctor's. The main problem right now is that we're left with no way to cook food in the meantime.

Cajungal

Staff member
Sorry for your loss, Kev. I got to know mine too. My great Granny spoke little English, and when she did, it was with a thick Cajun-French accent. It was cool getting to hear. I hope that her end was peaceful and that y'all have lots of happy memories.

My cousin had her baby. A little girl. The baby is currently going through drug withdrawal. DYFS (Department of Youth and Family Services) is now involved because of the baby being born addicted - probably to heroin. Her boyfriend's family had the nerve to ask my cousin's mom and step-father if they would take the baby because they have already raised their own son (mind you my cousin's mom and step-father are already raising my cousin's 7 year old). I so want to throttle this childish piece of shit, her boyfriend, and his family. I feel awful for the baby, her parents, and her son. I really do. And part of me wishes I could fly home just to do something, anything to give a hand to her parents.

I need this year long run of bad fucking luck to end.

My Puppy got bit by a snake this morning. Now he's sitting is skinny ass at the vet's waiting for him to get there.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Maybe this is just a Finnish thing, but what the heck...

The national broadcasting company YLE gave €120,ooo for a company to make a TV film about C.G.E. Mannerheim, essentially what Montgomery is to the Brits and Eisenhower is to the Americans. This week it was announced that the movie will be about the love life of Mannerheim - with an all-Kenyan cast. And only €20,000 went into the film proper. The rest of the money went into making a six-piece documentary series about making the movie, starring the producer who claims he seeks no personal fame but rather would let the film speak for itself.

Now this leaves me wondering, what the hell are they smoking and where can I get some?

North_Ranger

Staff member
Yeah, that's pretty bad. But at least they didn't do a movie about Mannerheim fighting vampires, or being a werewolf.
Well, no... but there's this movie that just came out on DVD called Stone's War or War of the Dead, which if I understand correctly is about Finnish soldiers during WWII fighting either Nazi or Soviet zombies.

And then after they pull through a tragedy that almost broke up the squad, one of them will cock their shotgun dramatically and announce that they're going to finnish what they started.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Hokay... This weekend has seriously sucked.

My Pathfinder group is in shambles. The young lady who was supposed to play the fighter apparently got into a fight with the others, and is giving us all the silent treatment. And when I asked the rest of the group with text messages when we could get together and plan out their characters.... I've got complete silence for four days. How fucking hard is it to write a bloody text message?

Yesterday held a ray of sunshine in the shape of an American friend who came online to continue our chats and games. She suggested we continue today... aaaaaaand she did a no-show, not even a peep telling something might've come up. She bloody well has my number, too.

On top of that, the chemo's been treating my tongue like its bitch, and my sense of taste is completely bonkers. I can basically taste either nothing or everything tastes like it's been covered with sour sugar. Even water tastes hairy, for lack of a better expression.

So yeah, my friends suck and I can't even enjoy a good meal. F*** my life.

Dude, I'm undergoing cancer treatment. Do you really think I'm allowed alcohol?

Besides, I don't really like beer.

Most chemo drugs aren't affected by alcohol. Check with your doctor of course, but I doubt a nip of whiskey or a glass of wine would be detrimental to your treatment. To be honest, with chemo, the best thing is probably getting yourself an ounce of marijuana. It'll bring your appetite back and help you deal with the pain.

North_Ranger

Staff member
If memory serves, I was pretty much told not to drink alcohol - which isn't a problem since I don't like to drink in the first place.

Also, it's not my appetite that's the problem; it's the fact that the medication sometimes messes up my sense of taste something fierce. It's starting to come back now, but for a few days I either couldn't taste a thing or everything tasted completely off (hairy water, sour sugar, that sort of thing). The pain is yet to be an issue, besides a few days when the booster kicks in. Those few days I spend taking pain killers and resting.

I would give marijuana a try and see if it alters your taste toward normal. I see it is legal for medicinal use. Ask your doc. What have you got to lose?

Even if you can't score it legally in Finaland, Amsterdam is only a day trip away!

I would give marijuana a try and see if it alters your taste toward normal. I see it is legal for medicinal use. Ask your doc. What have you got to lose?

Even if you can't score it legally in Finaland, Amsterdam is only a day trip away!
However, you'll have to hurry, as even in the Netherlands, it's getting harder and harder to come by legally. All of the south of the Netherlands can't sell it anymore to non-residents, and the north's either about to follow or has already followed suit.