Rant VIII: The Reckoning

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I like to think I am patient, forgiving, understanding and good with children. But I was just seconds away from knocking out a 12 yr old kid.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Sounds like Anonymous might've gotten "OK, Boomer"ed.

--Patrick
No, the piece of crap broke his toy scythe off in my ass. LITERALLY. (classic definition)

He got chewed out at top volume in the middle of the street in front of all his "friends" and parents.

Welpers, last month around the 18th I curled up in my 'entertainment chair', went to sleep and ended up having my right eye resting on the old not very well padded arm.
And I did some damage to it. At first it was just two little black spots and some little floaty thing off to the side. Not having much money after all the shit I've been through medically lately, I decided to wait until it got worse because it was more annoying than anything.
Well guess what I noticed yesterday, lots and lots of little black spots. And this afternoon something creeping accross from the bottom left of my vision.
Call the place i got my eyes done, left an after hours emergency message. The doc calls me back, has me describe things, and he's pretty sure I have a detatched retina and now I'm waiting on a call from a retina surgery type hospital to either go in tonite or tomorrow morning.
Sorta getting my bp under better control, cut back on the booze and none since Tuesday, weight's coming off nicely *though I'm still a fat pig at 220*.
Fuck, I'm so goddamned tired.

p.s. At least I got all my laundry done today. So I have that going for me.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Bad eyesight and needing to lose weight. Are you me? I loved it when the doctor told me I *HAD* to lose weight because of my liver. And that I should stop drinking...even though I don't drink.

Cataracts were done, and I loved it. My eyesight was shit even without them, but what a difference i could tell when one eye was done and the other wasn't. I almost wish they'd done the least worst eye first. The contrast I could see was like looking through a clear clean pane of glass, and looking through the dingy window of a bar or somebody's bedroom that smokes alot.
Unless you have good insurance that will cover a lot of it, and it's not bad yet, just start saving up for it. If you have time save up for the lenses plus extra. I just got the lenses and just use cheap 1.25 off the rack for work/reading, and had my optometrist give me some dialed in for tv/home pc *there both the same distance from me.* basic surgery was nothing. I was just sad most the OP Room people didn't get the clockwork orange reference.

Dave

Staff member
I have an HSA (Health Savings Account) that my works also contributes to. So unless my portion is more than $3k or so, it's paid for.

Both my eyes after insurance, ran about 5k, you probably have better insurance tho. and that was just plain lenses with no further corrective surgery. 1st stage corrective, If I remember correctly, should be good for moderately close up, 2nd stage regular *not fine print reading*

Check in at 330 surgery 530 should take about an hour. 24 hours face down as much as possible, then head up eyes front lay on my left as much as possible. A week off. YAY Unpaid BOO.

GasBandit

Staff member
Check in at 330 surgery 530 should take about an hour. 24 hours face down as much as possible, then head up eyes front lay on my left as much as possible. A week off. YAY Unpaid BOO.
When my dad got his retinal detachment fixed, the doctor told him face down 24 hours for a week. He lasted about 12 hours, then started laying on his side instead.

And now he's practically blind in that eye.

STAY. FACE. DOWN.

oh i didn't read that completely, doc told me it should be 24 hours face down, then situp straight eyes front lay on your left side when you can
All depends on where the tear is.

GasBandit

Staff member
oh yeah, i'll just hang over the bed and kindle or something when i just dont feel like a face full of pillows.
I rigged up a system with a giant mirror on the floor so he could watch TV. He still didn't stick to it. Doctors make the worst patients, it's true.

Well, here's a follow up.
Supposedly, the surgery went alright. 3 days of face down position, I moved my monitor to the floor
:D

Here's the thing I've always been somewhat anethesia resistant *thank god they also used locals*, I'm not sure when but my nose tube got dislodged and I started coming out of it towards the last 10-15 minutes. I can't remember the dream but it a was dream appropriated that I tried to rise up.
I think I scared the shit out of them.
I just started asking tearliy *though tears were a problem atm* 'did I screw my eye up?' Fem surgeon, 'no, you're fine'
I am understandably wigging out and drumming / scratching my right hand on the mattress. I'm not sure which but one of the male docs in the room says some shit like 'it's normal/procedure to remove the tube at this stage' or something very close to that.
I state the tube is in my mouth, they tell me to start breathing through my mouth. *which did bupkis* I'm like wtmff?!?!?
I was fully mentally/physically though not emotionally in charge of my faculties for the last 5-10 minutes of my surgery.

Here's the kicker to all of this. The head anesthesiologist , recommended the general. When my two docs came in, they were just expecting to do a local *with maybe some nitrous for relaxation *not sure about that part*. There was a bit of a conversation between them and the anesthesiologist who was there.

Time for lawyer shopping no matter how this turns out.

Well, things didn't heal as well as they should. Back on the table tomorrow morning, with bigger air bubble and a permanent band around my eye. Joy

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Jesus fucking tap dancing H Christ! I was doing "your" job in highschool on a scale 380 times bigger! It's not that fucking HARD!!!

My father has needed a heart valve repaired for quite a while now, but his previous insurance refused to pay for one. With his new one, he's finally able to do so.
This past weekend he had a CT scan as a pre-screening for the surgery. Something else was found.
He has cancer on his kidney.
I just found out about 10 minutes ago. I'm the only one outside of my parents who knows, and I've been ordered not to tell anyone else.
Fuck you, Life. Fuck your bullshit.

My father has needed a heart valve repaired for quite a while now, but his previous insurance refused to pay for one. With his new one, he's finally able to do so.
This past weekend he had a CT scan as a pre-screening for the surgery. Something else was found.
He has cancer on his kidney.
I just found out about 10 minutes ago. I'm the only one outside of my parents who knows, and I've been ordered not to tell anyone else.
Fuck you, Life. Fuck your bullshit.
My deepest sympathies; my thoughts are with you. I don't pray, but I wish you strength and courage.

I understand where you are at right now, I really do. But keep hope alive, kidney cancer is much more treatable now than it was just a few years ago. So much has been changing in the last 10 years on cancer treatment.

I think I need a new family doctor. My current one makes me feel worse with each visit. The worst thing is that he keeps pushing me to "go back to church" or "find a religion." Yesterday, I PLEADED to him to stop pushing religion on me, but he wouldn't stop.

I'm not a religious person. I was raised Catholic, but I grew away from that. My experiences with religious people have been largely negative and I want no part of that. Most (not all) religious people I've met are pushy, judgmental, or use it to push hateful rhetoric.

I'm agnostic at best. My Catholic upbringing instilled a sense that SOMETHING else is out there, but I don't know what it is and it's not my place to tell someone else what it is or how to live their life according to some outdated scriptures.

And I've tried explaining that to my family doctor, but he doesn't stop. He doesn't know how to speak to someone with mental illness, either, because as I said, I wind up feeling MORE depressed every time I leave his office. He's not helping me anymore.

I think I need a new family doctor. My current one makes me feel worse with each visit. The worst thing is that he keeps pushing me to "go back to church" or "find a religion." Yesterday, I PLEADED to him to stop pushing religion on me, but he wouldn't stop.

I'm not a religious person. I was raised Catholic, but I grew away from that. My experiences with religious people have been largely negative and I want no part of that. Most (not all) religious people I've met are pushy, judgmental, or use it to push hateful rhetoric.

I'm agnostic at best. My Catholic upbringing instilled a sense that SOMETHING else is out there, but I don't know what it is and it's not my place to tell someone else what it is or how to live their life according to some outdated scriptures.

And I've tried explaining that to my family doctor, but he doesn't stop. He doesn't know how to speak to someone with mental illness, either, because as I said, I wind up feeling MORE depressed every time I leave his office. He's not helping me anymore.
What the ever-living fuck???? Not only should you find a new family doctor (admittedly much easier said than done in NS), the current one should be reported to some sort of regulatory board. That is beyond not OK.

I'd take it a step past finding a new doctor and file a complaint as well. If he's constantly pushing religion after you've explictly asked him to stop and making your illnesses worse, you're probably not the only person he's doing it to, and not the only person he's making uncomfortable.

Effectively he's using his authority as a medical professional to force his religion on people, and I'm pretty sure that's a violation of professional standards in every province.

edit: Dirona beat me to it, but here: https://cpsns.ns.ca/complaints-investigations/

On the one hand, I completely agree with the idea that personal achievement is not really maximized until you dedicate and/or subject yourself to... something.
On the other hand, just because one person chooses to champion “God” and realizes great success due to the drive such a devotion ignites within them does not mean that “God” (or even “Rao”) is automatically the right choice for everyone.
I mean, I really like Brussels sprouts, split pea soup, or adding turnips in my stew. But I’m not going to shove any of these down the throat of someone who professes a dislike. In fact, if I actually care about the person, I’m gonna work to find something they can get behind, even if that something turns out to be something I’m not that crazy about.

tl:dr; Everyone needs an ikegai. But everyone gets to choose their own.

—Patrick

Last edited:
Just think of what that doctor might do/say someone with a less-common sexual identity, for example.

Religion is great for those who have it and can find solace/help/guidance in it. It has no place whatsoever in science, healthcare, education, or lawmaking.