Rant VIII: The Reckoning

So this happened and only 1/2 mile from where I work. The school across the street was one of the ones on lock down. This is the 3rd shooting near my workplace this year although the 2 others were police shooting theft suspects.

Sister just called. Our step-grandmother just passed away. Granddad married her a few years after Granny died.

She was 102. A life definitely well lived. Big case of don't cry because she's gone, smile because she was here. :)

My family has a long storied tradition of cleaning up our history,

Uncle Duncan died peacefully in his sleep; after getting his skull caved in by a bull.

Cousin Angus was taken from us too soon, by the father of the girl he was in bed with.

WTF, in two different ways:

1. I don't understand what the fuck she's talking about.

2. I don't understand why the fuck she thinks it's okay to spout shit like that.

Last edited:
I think when some people hear the word "depressed", what they really hear is "bummed out".
This and with everything. OCD, bipolar, PTSD. Many people have no actual grasp of any psychological issue and so translate it to something minor they can relate to.

I think the person in text thinks they're being playful and that should snap a depressed person into a better mood, except since that's like trying to cheer someone out of the flu, it's just being an ass.

If I’m not mistaken, it’s the girl Nick is seeing.
It's not. For context, this is a co-worker. We talk relatively often at work about stuff (she inspired me to redo my Top 20 movies a few weeks ago), but only known each other about a month. She's shown interest in being friends outside of work, and invited me out for coffee. I declined because I get the vibe she's interested in more than friends. I'm not. She sure as hell doesn't known me well enough to know how to approach me when I'm depressed. And she DEFINITELY hasn't earned the right to giving me "tough love."

This was the first time she's ever communicated with me outside of work. I blocked her after my response.

It's not. For context, this is a co-worker. We talk relatively often at work about stuff (she inspired me to redo my Top 20 movies a few weeks ago), but only known each other about a month. She's shown interest in being friends outside of work, and invited me out for coffee. I declined because I get the vibe she's interested in more than friends. I'm not. She sure as hell doesn't known me well enough to know how to approach me when I'm depressed. And she DEFINITELY hasn't earned the right to giving me "tough love."

This was the first time she's ever communicated with me outside of work. I blocked her after my response.
With additional context, I would agree she’s being an ass and definitely stepping outside of where she’s appropriately communicating with you. The tone from her felt more romantic so if it was your partner, my thoughts were the onus was on you to be more respectful. Given the non-relationship, gtfo female weirdo.

I don't think he said anything disrespectful even had that been the context.

Response 1: statement of fact
Response 2: statement of fact, resignation
Response 3: "you are not helping"

I say this as someone whose role has been to help the depressed person.

I should also add further context: the red & black thing she's mentioning is a work thing. Every team at work is doing some kind of theme. I haven't paid attention and don't really care, but I guess my team is some kind of Netflix theme. So, red & black.

I don't give a shit and not participating.

Also, I don't know if I've ever said this, but something I learned about what helps breaking me out of a depression: get me talking about literally ANYTHING else but my current problem. Comics, video games, movies, wrestling. That at least gets me talking.

I should also add further context: the red & black thing she's mentioning is a work thing. Every team at work is doing some kind of theme. I haven't paid attention and don't really care, but I guess my team is some kind of Netflix theme. So, red & black.

I don't give a shit and not participating.

Also, I don't know if I've ever said this, but something I learned about what helps breaking me out of a depression: get me talking about literally ANYTHING else but my current problem. Comics, video games, movies, wrestling. That at least gets me talking.
What are your thoughts on the recent WWE vs John Oliver thing?

What do you think was the best year for comic book movies? I know 2008 and 2017 are probably the front runners, but there might be a more nuanced choice.

What do you think was the best year for comic book movies? I know 2008 and 2017 are probably the front runners, but there might be a more nuanced choice.
I'm gonna go with 2008, too. Iron Man 1, Dark Knight, and Hellboy alone do it. Then you have the criminally underrated Punisher War Zone. And the animated adaptation of Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier.

Though thinking about it, just last year was pretty great, too. Black Panther, Infinity War, *ahem* SPIDER-MAN INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE. Ant-Man & Wasp was fun. Teen Titans Go was better than it had any right to be. Even Aquaman was surprisingly a blast.

But Spider-Verse alone raises the bar so damn high against other years.

I'm gonna go with 2008, too. Iron Man 1, Dark Knight, and Hellboy alone do it. Then you have the criminally underrated Punisher War Zone. And the animated adaptation of Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier.

Though thinking about it, just last year was pretty great, too. Black Panther, Infinity War, *ahem* SPIDER-MAN INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE. Ant-Man & Wasp was fun. Teen Titans Go was better than it had any right to be. Even Aquaman was surprisingly a blast.

Interesting, 2008 is a good choice. And you're certainly right about 2018.

I think 2017 is in the conversation too. There are couple of good movies that are occasionally brilliant: Wonder Woman, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2; several really great, fresh takes on established characters: Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, and The Lego Batman Movie; a couple of solid indie adaptations: Atomic Blonde, and I Kill Giants; and the one classic: Logan.

Looking through the list , 2004 (Incredibles, Hellboy, Spider-Man 2), and 2011 (Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, X-Men: First Class), look like honorable mentions.

Also, it seems like 2019 is off to a pretty good start. Have you had a chance to see Captain Marvel or Shazam! yet?

AND The Incredible Hulk!

... hello?
I think the Incredible Hulk is underrated. It's certainly an important part of the 2008 comic book movie line up. It showed that Marvel was serious -- this was a connected universe -- they were really doing it.