Rant VIII: The Reckoning

where in the anthropology textbooks does it say "Boat People", like, you could have called them "refugees" so easily
ooh ooh..i got this one..
https://books.google.com/books?id=1t-nPkDmj1YC
"Mary Terrell Cargill is an associate professor of English at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee. Jade Quang Huynh, a native of Vietnam, is currently in Hutto, Texas."

https://books.google.com/books?id=eE0nAgAAQBAJ
"Vinh Chung graduated Harvard magna cum laude with a BA in biology and attended Harvard Medical School for his MD. Dr. Chung also studied at the University of Sydney as a Fulbright Scholar and completed a masters of pharmaceutical sciences. He completed his dermatology residency at Emory University, where he served as chief resident. He currently serves on World Vision's National Leadership Council. "

And, just in case Charles in Charge over there wants to complain that those aren't "text books".

http://www.cambridge.org/us/academi...y-and-primatology/first-boat-people?format=PB

There's an example with the words "Boat People" right there in the name, used at Cambridge. :p
But who am I kidding? Chuck never admits when he's wrong. He just gets high, calls everyone names, and goes off to cry for a few months before coming back.

TIL about Indochina and boat people. I suspect I'm not the only one on this thread who didn't know. Unironic thanks to @IronBrig4 for the information. Pretty interesting stuff (having not had to go through it, which should go without saying, but Internet).

It sounds more to me like some people are seizing on this as an opportunity to get Charlie mad enough that he goes on hiatus again.
Really, it's a minor thing. We have the facts now and everything is settled, it's time to move on.

--Patrick
I think it's more a case of everyone getting ninja'd when they were posting counter examples. (At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.) And I hope Charlie isn't getting mad because people are disagreeing with him and citing information or counter examples to back up their side of the discussion. IMHO, that's really how the process should work.

The phrase is beginning to lose all meaning.

BOOOOAT PEOPLE
BOOOOAT PEOPLE
TASTE LIKE BOOOAT
TALK LIKE PEOPLE
Well, okay, maybe not that one. :)

Anyone else find it hilarious this whole conversation over racism started from someone whose nickname is based around contextual racism?

(Vietnamese were referred to as "Charlies" during the war. Though the full nickname is referencing a line from Apocalypse Now, the use of "Charlie" itself was and is racist).

Last edited:
Anyone else find it hilarious this whole conversation over racism started with a guy whose nickname is based around contextual racism?

(Vietnamese were referred to as "Charlie's" during the war. Though the full nickname is referencing a line from Apocalypse Now, I believe, the use of "Charlie" itself was and is racist).
Charlie was the shortened version of Victor Charlie. Victor Charlie was the phonetic alphabet for VC, which stood for Viet Cong, the North Vietnamese guerilla faction which was separate from the regular NVA.

Charlie was the shortened version of Victor Charlie. Victor Charlie was the phonetic alphabet for VC, which stood for Viet Cong, the North Vietnamese guerilla faction which was separate from the regular NVA.
Sure, but I'm pretty sure it was still considered a racist term. Wasn't it used as a racial slur by some long after the war?

Well, apparently it's official as of yesterday. My former company, after 30 successful years in the industry (and one very unsuccessful year), is being liquidated. That's 150 year round FTE jobs, most of them well-paying union carpentry jobs, 50 or so FTE 2nd shift union carpentry jobs in the busy season, 20 CAD drafting positions, and up to 90 subcontracted installer positions, all pissed away. It's a big hit to the local and regional economy, and a huge deal for a lot of schools, hospitals, universities, police and fire stations, correctional facilities and more, that all have to rebid jobs that had been awarded and were already in construction and will now be delayed. Not to mention the fact that there's no one west of the Rockies that can pick up the slack for that much production capacity. It's hitting me pretty hard, even though I was already out. I have a lot of friends who just lost their jobs.

So theres this regular who's been creeping out one of my shift leads recently. She only does the closing shift once a week or so but every time he kind of corners her (figuratively) and keeps chatting her up until I "go to the bathroom" and call the store phone from my cell.

Normally she doesn't really wear much makeup but this week she kind of did it up a little. She had this really neat bright red lipstick on that really looked great on her. Everything was going great until this regular shows up (always with his family) and she felt so uncomfortable that she went into the back and washed her makeup off. She just didn't want to deal with any of his bullshit.

Like that just seems legitimately sad to me, that she just didn't feel comfortable expressing herself in that way.

BananaHands

Staff member
So theres this regular who's been creeping out one of my shift leads recently. She only does the closing shift once a week or so but every time he kind of corners her (figuratively) and keeps chatting her up until I "go to the bathroom" and call the store phone from my cell.

Normally she doesn't really wear much makeup but this week she kind of did it up a little. She had this really neat bright red lipstick on that really looked great on her. Everything was going great until this regular shows up (always with his family) and she felt so uncomfortable that she went into the back and washed her makeup off. She just didn't want to deal with any of his bullshit.

Like that just seems legitimately sad to me, that she just didn't feel comfortable expressing herself in that way.
Men are the worst.

I'm a pretty big guy and can be intuitive as a rock. There are also times I act like an unholy trinity of Larry David, Sheldon Cooper, and Del Griffith. So there are times I say the wrong thing, or try to do something nice but screw it up either through exceptionally poor timing or natural clumsiness. I'm maladroit and absent-minded but there is absolutely zero malice in my actions.

Anyways, I used to think that women were just too stuck-up to talk to me. I figured that women were just trigger-happy to slap the "creeper" label on any guy they didn't like who happened to like them. I'd labored under that assumption for years. Then one of my dates showed me the texts she got from guys on free dating sites. Talk about an epiphany in the form of atrocious grammar, requests for nude pics, and aggressive propositions for sex. That's what girls have to deal with on a daily basis?

And worse. One of my first experiences online, back in the early 90s, was getting propositioned by a guy for sex, who then threatened to rape me until I was bleeding from the rectum because I told him to leave me alone.

That's what girls have to deal with on a daily basis?
Sadly, yes. For all the guys out there that have the good sense to know this is unacceptable, there's a vocal minority that ruins it for everyone.

I had a similar experience to Phil's co-worker in college (much older man, always while his wife sat at a table). Fortunately, my boss backed up my complaint and told the guy if he did it again,he was banned from the restaurant.

Then there was the guy who started to stalk me my first summer living alone in college. We exchanged a couple of words on a train once. Then he started showing up at my job, not because I told him, but he remembered the logo on my shirt. Then he got my phone number from an employee sheet down by our bathrooms and started calling me late at night. I had to threaten calling the cops to get him to stop. That was fun. :confused:

It makes me mad to see here how often this happens!

I had a super creepy coworker at my first job at a firm when I was working on my designation.

One of my supervisors got way out of hand and I felt like he was stalking me. I was living with friends of the family (I was new to town and wanted to wait until I knew the area and if my job would work out before getting my own place) and they were fantastic in helping me deal with it. When things got to be more than we could handle, I went to the HR partner and the only woman partner at work and explained the situation and asked for help. They totally dismissed it and even found it funny. They did nothing to help :(

In the opposite side of the spectrum, I got old relationship stuff thrown in my face today. Made me cry, which is probably because I was high on pain killers because my leg still hurts and I am depressed from being so immobile.

In the opposite side of the spectrum, I got old relationship stuff thrown in my face today. Made me cry, which is probably because I was high on pain killers because my leg still hurts and I am depressed from being so immobile.
No fair downing you while you can't kick.

--Patrick

Problem is, I'm a year and a half away from retirement (Retirement age is 50 for protective service staff, aka "line staff" like myself). I gotta stick this fecal matter out until October of 2017.

fade

Staff member
Sadly, yes. For all the guys out there that have the good sense to know this is unacceptable, there's a vocal minority that ruins it for everyone
Being a dude, I honestly didn't even know this stuff was happening when I was younger. The degenerates who act like must be pretty good at hiding it when other guys are around. I mean, they say things, but you never think they'll go and actually say those things to a girl or a woman. I wonder what goes on in these people's heads. They must truly see women as some kind of different species or something.

Being a dude, I honestly didn't even know this stuff was happening when I was younger. The degenerates who act like must be pretty good at hiding it when other guys are around. I mean, they say things, but you never think they'll go and actually say those things to a girl or a woman. I wonder what goes on in these people's heads. They must truly see women as some kind of different species or something.
I would not be surprised to find out that some of these people hear the "things people say" ... and then actually believe that's what they're supposed to do.
I mean, they find out soon enough, and many are probably, "Whoa, better straighten up before next time," but then of course there are always the ones who think, "Maybe I'm not doing it right, maybe I need more practice," and fail again, and again, and again, and never learn.

--Patrick