Rant VIII: The Reckoning

When I introduced Archer to Amy, she then proceeded to marathon all the seasons on netflix, while periodically messaging me blame for the "darkening" effect the series was having on her soul. :twisted:
Heh.
Still haven't seen any Archer yet.
But if I ever do, I'd bet I'll be the same person afterwards as I am now.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Heh.
Still haven't seen any Archer yet.
But if I ever do, I'd bet I'll be the same person afterwards as I am now.

--Patrick
That's the advantage of your ruggedized plastic construction, no matter what kind of muck you wade through, you can be easily hosed off and dried with a shammy!

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I sent you a delicate instrument of beauty and you sent me back a fucking boat anchor!

Wow. Stephen King spends at least 6 hours a day on reading & writing. And he won't stop writing unless he hits 2,000 words that day. It's no wonder he's so prolific, but it goes to show what it takes to be a full-time professional writer. It's a little humbling.

Some quick math shows he writes roughly 60,000 a month. That's the length of THE DAME WAS A TAD POLISH. So he basically wrote the equivalent of my second book within a month. His books are twice that or more. But that means he can roughly write a novel in 2-3 months. Not including research/brainstorming (the "reading" in those 6 hours, I assume).

It took me 12 months to write my first book (while finishing my undergraduate degree at York), 8 months to finish my second (while in school and/or working). These days, I struggle to break 1,000 words in a writing session - and that's not even daily. Ongoing depression has made sitting down to write difficult.

Although, as I said in another thread, I'm back on the writing horse with Dill. Wrote 1,400 words today. And I rather liked what I wrote. Dill fucking loses it in this scene. And not in a good/funny way. It's in a "Jesus Dill, you're losing it and it's kind of scary" kind of way. It's interesting exploring Dill in this way.

I mean sure, but then look at people like GRRM, who will take years to get their next book out, but are still considered professional writers.

I mean sure, but then look at people like GRRM, who will take years to get their next book out, but are still considered professional writers.
I don't know what his writing process is, but it appears that not only is Game of Thrones ridiculously long, it's also dense, with a lot of characters, subplots, and politics to juggle. Stephen King books aren't generally as complex.[DOUBLEPOST=1462630837,1462630772][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just present the example of Harper Lee, 55 years between books.
I wouldn't count that. The book that came out last year was an old manuscript she had no intentions of publishing. From what I understand, it was lawyers or her estate that forced it into publisher's hands, without her permission.

GasBandit

Staff member
Dei's right. I mean, at one end of the spectrum you've got guys like Raymond Feist who put out a book a year for 30 years (granted most of them were about 200 pages in paperback and after the 20th one or so he REALLY started phoning it in) and on the other you've got Patrick Rothfuss who took 9 years to write The Name of the Wind, another 4 to publish Wise Man's Fear, and is 5 going-on-6 years into "still writing" his third book, The Doors of Stone.

Grumble grumble.

Wow. Stephen King spends at least 6 hours a day on reading & writing. And he won't stop writing unless he hits 2,000 words that day. It's no wonder he's so prolific, but it goes to show what it takes to be a full-time professional writer. It's a little humbling.
Hey, no discussion about prolific writing would be complete without a mention of Mr. Chuck Tingle. Now there's someone who really knows how to pound a keyboard.

--Patrick

Last edited:
How can you possibly be in a master's level program when you can't write basic sentences?!? Part of a final assignment for this class is to review another classmate's paper. I have 60+ errors in grammar, spelling, and stylistics marked up on this document. It's like reading an 8th grader's paper except I think the 8th grader might make more sense.

And then there's writers like Asimov who wrote well over a book a year, in several genres, fiction and non-fiction, edited a couple dozen anthologies in the mean time, and did full time speaking tours. And while there's auite a few crappy books in there, most of them are really still fun/good reads, and some are genuinely great.

Quality and quantity aren't really related one way or another.

How can you possibly be in a master's level program when you can't write basic sentences?!? Part of a final assignment for this class is to review another classmate's paper. I have 60+ errors in grammar, spelling, and stylistics marked up on this document. It's like reading an 8th grader's paper except I think the 8th grader might make more sense.
Out of curiosity, is it someone in an engineering program?

Out of curiosity, is it someone in an engineering program?
No, it's social work. Today she emailed me asking if I had finished with it so she could work on her paper. The assignment was just to leave comments and turn it in to the professor, not return it to our partner. I emailed the file to her anyway. I hope she takes criticism well because there is a lot of it.

No, it's social work. Today she emailed me asking if I had finished with it so she could work on her paper. The assignment was just to leave comments and turn it in to the professor, not return it to our partner. I emailed the file to her anyway. I hope she takes criticism well because there is a lot of it.
Oh ok. I ask because in my job as an editor, the engineers are generally the worst at writing English. I don't know if it's because their brains all think in machine code or something like that, but oftentimes they simply cannot string words together in any grammatically correct way.

Oh ok. I ask because in my job as an editor, the engineers are generally the worst at writing English. I don't know if it's because their brains all think in machine code or something like that, but oftentimes they simply cannot string words together in any grammatically correct way.
I used to help Aussie sometimes when he had to write evaluations. I have totally seen this first hand.

My dad does a lot of electronic work, and while his grammar is pretty solid his spelling is absolutely terrible. It must be a mechanically-minded thing, I dunno.

As a fellow translator, I can absolutely agree with this. Engineer documents are always the worst.

One weird thing I've found is that as a general rule, the higher the level of education of a person, the worse the writing will be. As if all that knowledge is pushing out the ability to express it in any kind of cromulent way. Purely anecdotal of course.

Well, my son was off by 1 percentile point on the gifted test he took at the start of 7th grade so he can't qualify for 2E. So help me god if he can't take that test again next year after all the work we put into getting him to be better at test taking, I will start flipping tables, because the extra services for gifted would help him a ton.

You should ask @Squidleybits to read you my Scouting emails over Vent some time.