Rant VIII: The Reckoning

GasBandit

Staff member
I like how the made sure the diner one specifically made sure to point out that everyone there was a cop. You pull a gun out in a robbery situation like that, you're going to get yourself or someone else killed.
Depends on how often one tells honey bunny to be cool.

I think I've said this before in response to the same story, but I still think it's weird. Cutting the phone line should instantly generate an alarm as well - and while "sabotage" or "line failure" are lower priority than "intrusion", it should've still alerted police/security.
That aside - it all depends on what kind of burglar you have in front of you. If they know you just bought a brand new 79" 4k HD TV and they want it, your house can be a fortress guarded by a pack of lions and they can get in if need be. If it's just some random punks who want to steal some cash and/or a laptop or whatever, your house just has to look harder to break into than the neighbours'.
Dog/weapon/cat/whatever plaques may deter some, but an audio tape of a barking dog with a motion sensor and such things tend to be more effective.

Those commercials ... yeah, people who want to steal something always wait for someone to come home before breaking in. -_-

That's kind of the failing point on a lot of gun nut philosophies on why they need to be armed to the teeth. Your typical burglar isn't going to rob you while you're at home - sitting on your huge piles of money.

doomdragon6

Staff member
My friend lives in a house in a.... "high theft probability" neighborhood, we'll go with that. He's installing motion sensors outside that turn on a light INSIDE so it appears that someone is home, awake, and moving around.

I thought it was pretty clever, whether a good deterrent or not. (It would definitely stop me.)

GasBandit

Staff member
That's kind of the failing point on a lot of gun nut philosophies on why they need to be armed to the teeth. Your typical burglar isn't going to rob you while you're at home - sitting on your huge piles of money.
What Chad said. Not an unrealistic robber. Just a rapist.

Someone broke into my car last night and stole my work bag. Now, 99% of the time I would have my laptop inside the house, but this night (of all nights) I left it in said bag. Couldn't tell you why; it just slipped my mind. So not only am I paying $275 to replace the window, not only were some important work papers taken, but I'm pretty sure my ass is going to get chewed out by the school for being so careless.

fml.

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of eating lunch next to a dad with 3 toddlers and an 8 year old.... for fuck sake dad! stop yelling at the kid that got out of his seat and try to get the one hitting the table with a fork as fucking hard as he could for the entire 30 minutes I was there with you, oh him and the one that screeches at 140 decibels once every 3 minutes. But you have to yell at and THREATEN the kid that is 12 inches away from where he should be.

Considering the damage an 8 year old running freely around a restaurant can cause, who's to say he made the wrong decision?

Considering the damage an 8 year old running freely around a restaurant can cause, who's to say he made the wrong decision?
Because he said nothing to the other kids, that were actively disturbing the restaurant, all the other was literally standing next to his chair, and he was getting threatened to the point that he started crying.

Dave

Staff member
So the Hampton Inn we stayed at in March raised their rates from $84 a night to $139 a night. So we can't afford to stay there.

The car rental place upped their surcharges from $15 a day to $20 a day and we're renting for a week.

Gas prices are up $.25 a gallon since we went last time.

We're going to Georgia, damn it! Ain't nobody stopping us![DOUBLEPOST=1396400496,1396400302][/DOUBLEPOST]And why the hell did I watch "Dear Zachary" on Netflix?!? I'm a glutton for punishment!

Dave

Staff member
Ladies and gentlemen...an accurate portrayal of my life in a nutshell.

I know you guys all relate.

Dave

Staff member
Clarification on my roller-coasteriness.

This weekend we got everything we needed for Zach and got the hotel and car rental paid for so we are good to go on the trip. The two things happened within about 20 minutes. My cousin called and said my uncle was back in the hospital. His kidneys are shutting down. Now, she's cried wolf before so I'm not going to freak out too much, not until I can go visit him tomorrow.

Then my daughter called. Her car broke down. It's in the shop.

Hoping this is the bottom and the coaster goes back up again. Stupid car.

And here all I've got to deal with is a pending root canal. Even with insurance, it's gonna cost nearly $300 out of pocket.

An extraction would be cheaper out of pocket, but it would mean missing at least one night's work. Can't afford that.

GasBandit

Staff member
Clarification on my roller-coasteriness.

This weekend we got everything we needed for Zach and got the hotel and car rental paid for so we are good to go on the trip. The two things happened within about 20 minutes. My cousin called and said my uncle was back in the hospital. His kidneys are shutting down. Now, she's cried wolf before so I'm not going to freak out too much, not until I can go visit him tomorrow.

Then my daughter called. Her car broke down. It's in the shop.

Hoping this is the bottom and the coaster goes back up again. Stupid car.
Dude! What is it with you and cars? Do you opt in for the self-destruct package when you buy them?