Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Good luck with that...But I have to say that if you're taking it to that level, you would be smart to have someone with legal background involved - not necessarily a lawyer, depending on the Chinese legal system...
Hope you have proof of delivery/receipt/whatever, best of luck to you!

Yeah, they may just try and get you deported from the country, rather than pay you.
Impossible, really. I had a legal residence permit and a legal foreign experts certificate. Foreigners can and have won these types of cases if they're willing to put in the effort. It will unlikely be necessary. What is likely to happen is once this is sent to HR, someone higher up will be informed of a few things they didn't know and the situation may resolve itself. At worst, they could simply refuse to renew my contract which I'm perfectly fine with.

I really hate it when people twist my arguments into something they're not, and I'm really considering just leaving this place if that's something of a frequent occurrence here.

This is why I use Halforums as a spell check. Imagine if I had handed that in already. Well, off I go to reprint.

So I've developed a media engine for our branch network, basically all the TVs you see while waiting in line would play various ads that I've developed. Unfortunately, there appears to be a bit of a curse when it comes to actually installing them. The first guy that was doing it last year, he quit and moved to Australia. The second girl that was doing it earlier this year, she quit last month. Finally I had a dependable fellow who was doing it, but he didn't actually know how so I was working with him to figure it out.

He was in the server room installing the media engine and he needed to terminate an ethernet cable. So while I'm standing there chatting with him, he gets out a knife and cuts off the end of a cable...

And slices a 3 inch gouge in his hand down to the muscle.

So we take him to the hospital and 6 stitches later he facebooks to tell me he's not allowed to use his hand for 10 weeks.

Jeez, that certainly brings new meaning to job cuts.

But seriously, that really sucks, man. At least it's only 10 weeks and not longer.

M

makare

I'm guessing because she thinks twisting one another's arguments around is pretty much the national sport, if HF was a nation.
pretty much and people who are so new couldn't have any idea what to expect around here.

Jeez, that certainly brings new meaning to job cuts.

But seriously, that really sucks, man. At least it's only 10 weeks and not longer.
It's funny because him and I are good friends and it was him that came up with the idea that the whole project was cursed. He took it on just to prove it wrong; oops.

While it doesn't occur often (for some values of 'often'), it is a technique that is employed occasionally. It seems more often to make an appearance in the more emotionally charged threads, so as long as you avoid the hot button topics (rape, steak, abortion, religious topics, morality, etc) then its unlikely that you will be bitten by it.
uh... steak... Like this kind of steak?

While it doesn't occur often (for some values of 'often'), it is a technique that is employed occasionally. It seems more often to make an appearance in the more emotionally charged threads, so as long as you avoid the hot button topics (rape, steak, abortion, religious topics, morality, etc) then its unlikely that you will be bitten by it.
I love how "steak" falls between "rape" and "abortion."

Halforums: We're fuckin' serious about beef

You forgot proper posture for use of toilet paper.

M

makare

I bet silent bob likes his meat rare because he is a man's man what with being so physical and all.