Rant VIII: The Reckoning

M

makare

Ugh.

Jet now has pink eye. I bought him the drops the prescribed. Used them once...and now I can't find the bloody bottle anywhere!

Why did it have to be so frikken tiny?!
That's what she said. of course.

(hint: it's in the last place you'll look for it)
This "it is in the last place you'll look" always bothered me.Ofcourse it will be in the last place you will look.You don't keep searching after you find it.It is ALWAYS in the last place you will have looked.

(this is in no way an attack on you Bubble,since you were probably saying that tounge in cheek)

So as to resemble a nipple, so he wouldn't freak out when it got near his face...

:awesome:

Wait, jet's not a baby, is he?

Well, still a boy.
The receptionist at the doctor office had massive boobs.

Jet ran up to her, said "HI!"

She smiled...went back to work..then Jet grabbed her chest.

"That must be heavy."

She was shocked. I was mortified and let out a ner vous laugh..before ushering him to the furthest corner of the office.

The receptionist at the doctor office had massive boobs.

Jet ran up to her, said "HI!"

She smiled...went back to work..then Jet grabbed her chest.

"That must be heavy."

She was shocked. I was mortified and let out a ner vous laugh..before ushering him to the furthest corner of the office.

Cajungal

Staff member
THAT is cute. When my niece was a baby she'd lie against my sister's chest and go "that the nicest pillow in the world..."

This "it is in the last place you'll look" always bothered me.Ofcourse it will be in the last place you will look.You don't keep searching after you find it.It is ALWAYS in the last place you will have looked.

(this is in no way an attack on you Bubble,since you were probably saying that tounge in cheek)
I always keep looking for things once I find them. It shortens the amount of time I spend looking for it next time.

I absolutely agree with you, when talking about people who seriously mean that as advice. I did mean it as a joke, with the exact thing in mind you articulated.
I might've wanted to include a smiley :p

M

makare

I always thought it was "it's always in the last place you'd look" as the last place you'd think to look.

Lately, I see nothing but people griping about how much they hated the 90's. The music? Trite and lame, whereas 80's music was the best over ermagawd. Movies? Mediocre bullshit devoid of lasting impact, or boring as hell. Hell, I even heard some dipshit talking about how people (yes, all people) were stupid in the 90's and pale in comparison to the brilliance of the modern human.

What the fuck? When did this become the new cool thing?

Lately, I see nothing but people griping about how much they hated the 90's. The music? Trite and lame, whereas 80's music was the best over ermagawd. Movies? Mediocre bullshit devoid of lasting impact, or boring as hell. Hell, I even heard some dipshit talking about how people (yes, all people) were stupid in the 90's and pale in comparison to the brilliance of the modern human.

What the fuck? When did this become the new cool thing?

When the '90s ended, I thought "Cool, I can't wait for some time to pass and we find out its identity."
Time passed and no identity was discovered. That's what fuels the view that it was a bland, flavorless decade in terms of media. Good times for the U.S., and you know, art through adversity.

There were some good/great things in the 90s, and for all I know that ratio against crap was the same as any other decade, but it seems less gems have stood out from that decade than from the 80s. Personally I dislike most 80s music, but movies? The 80s were glorious years for movies.

Though the 90s gave us Tori Amos, who I will love forever.

When the '90s ended, I thought "Cool, I can't wait for some time to pass and we find out its identity."
Time passed and no identity was discovered. That's what fuels the view that it was a bland, flavorless decade in terms of media. Good times for the U.S., and you know, art through adversity.

There were some good/great things in the 90s, and for all I know that ratio against crap was the same as any other decade, but it seems less gems have stood out from that decade than from the 80s. Personally I dislike most 80s music, but movies? The 80s were glorious years for movies.

Though the 90s gave us Tori Amos, who I will love forever.
See, this is what I'm not understanding. I feel like you're completely glossing over the good things about the 90's... and I don't know why people are doing that. Want some good 90's movies?

Goodfellas
Saving Private Ryan
Philadelphia
Pulp Fiction
Schindler's List
The Shawshank Redemption
A Few Good Men
Groundhog Day
American Beauty
Jurassic Park
The Lion King
The Matrix
Toy Story 1 and 2
L.A. Confidential

God, I could go on and on. It's like people forget the good stuff and fixate in the bad.

See, this is what I'm not understanding. I feel like you're completely glossing over the good things about the 90's... and I don't know why people are doing that. Want some good 90's movies?

Goodfellas
Saving Private Ryan
Philadelphia
Pulp Fiction
Schindler's List
The Shawshank Redemption
A Few Good Men
Groundhog Day
American Beauty
Jurassic Park
The Lion King
The Matrix
Toy Story 1 and 2
L.A. Confidential

God, I could go on and on. It's like people forget the good stuff and fixate in the bad.
Read what I wrote, not what the people around you said.

but it seems less gems have stood out from that decade
but it seems less gems have stood out from that decade

I don't see a difference. You're saying not many movies stand out from the decade. I posted a list of movies that do stand out, and I could have added more. I'm willing to bet any list of good 80's movies would be roughly the same size.

M

makare

In general I write off the 90s. There were a lot of good movies during that time but still as a whole I didn't care for the decade. I don't know how to explain it. If someone said let's watch a show called I love the 80s I'd be all over that. But if it were I love the 90s I'd feel pretty meh about it. Again not sure why. It is probably because of that lacking identity thing.

Also I hate grunge and the whole grunge music phenomenon so that hurts my loving the music. I hated the fashion. Honestly, besides the movies I liked there wasn't much else that makes me feel nostalgic for that time.

Pfft. I'd say the naughties, so far, have done less for me than the 90s.
The ninties: advent of the internet, cellphones, MP3s,.... The world really DID change in the 90s. Gulf War was just as important to the 90s as Vietnam and Korea in their time.
Grunge and "mainstream" R&B (Beyoncé and the like) are both genres that started in the 90s...I like neither, but they're still important.

Also, in the 90s everybody daid the '80s were "ridiculous" and over the top - Disco! In the 80s everyone said the 70s weren't the same as those awesome 60s; the 70s were "too serious" and "too business". And so on, and so forth. We'll see. The last decade is cool to hate on, and too close by to see its accomplishments. As you go back in time, it's more retro and more accepted to like it...With occasional different eras becoming hipster.
I'm still waiting for the Gay Twenties to come back in style ;-)

Lately, I see nothing but people griping about how much they hated the 90's. The music? Trite and lame, whereas 80's music was the best over ermagawd.
I was an adolescent in the 80's. My music then was mostly "hair metal" - Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, etc. Many of my friends from high school still listen to these groups and insist it is the best music. I don't get it. I loved the music at the time, but once the 90's hit...
I loved 90's rock/alternative/industrial-dance. The first time I heard NIN I was blown away. Pearl Jam, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Prodigy, Stabbing Westward, Tool and A Perfect Circle are all groups I still can listen to and appreciate. I can't say that about music I listened to in the 80's. My husband and I had been talking about my high school days when my son asked if he could hear the music I liked back then. So I opened a Pandora station of 80's metal. After about 3 songs I had to shut it off. Ugh. I told my husband it was giving me flashbacks. LOL

I don't see a difference.
Alright, let's try again. This time with more quoting.

You're saying not many movies stand out from the decade. I posted a list of movies that do stand out, and I could have added more. I'm willing to bet any list of good 80's movies would be roughly the same size.
Not the same thing.

There are many great movies, but people don't remember them all. They don't stand out and make their mark on cultural consciousness. Not all of them.

There were some good/great things in the 90s, and for all I know that ratio against crap was the same as any other decade, but it seems less gems have stood out from that decade than from the 80s.
Notice I acknowledge that the ratio could be the same in the 80s or any other decade. Notice I acknowledge there were good/great ones in the 90s. Now notice I mention standing out, not as a measure against good movie, but as another value that helps answer your question.

It doesn't mean there are less good movies. It means less of those good movies stood out. Perhaps you're using stand out as some measure of quality, even if that doesn't make sense for the sentences I typed. I'm talking about what people remember and identify. You're arguing it from an entirely different standpoint a la "But there were good things!" and I'm saying "People don't remember as many of them as they do from other decades."

This somewhat goes back to the lack of cultural identity. There are numerous movies from the 80s that you could call "80s movies". Not all of them are good, but again, that's not what I'm talking about. It's about standing out. Being noticeable, even to a garish extent. Which of those movies on your list would you associate as "90 films" because something about them says "90s" rather than because that was the decade in which they were released?

I'm not defending the people who you're getting pissed at and I think you're letting the 90s rage ignore that. I'm explaining the perception.

I also think this belongs in some less intense rant thread, but that's just me.

It could also be that we are still "too close" to the '90s and people haven't gotten into the "Yeah, it was stupid, but we had fun with it" mindset that comes along as you get older. Same thing happened with the '80s in that for a long time it was "Everything '80s sucks, the '70s were where it was all at" and before that the same was said about every other decade.

It doesn't mean there are less good movies. It means less of those good movies stood out. Perhaps you're using stand out as some measure of quality, even if that doesn't make sense for the sentences I typed.
Okay, I see what you're saying now. And yes, I was considering the description "stand out/stood out" as a measure of quality, because in my mind if something "stands out" that means it is good. Good movies stand out from their contemporaries, bad movies fade away. But that's just me.

It could also be that we are still "too close" to the '90s and people haven't gotten into the "Yeah, it was stupid, but we had fun with it" mindset that comes along as you get older. Same thing happened with the '80s in that for a long time it was "Everything '80s sucks, the '70s were where it was all at" and before that the same was said about every other decade.
People were saying the 80s sucked, but they had given it an identity before the 90s ended. Eventually people will remember the 90s for certain aspects and they will be parodied, but that identity may be harder to grasp than for other decades.

As for pro-80s, that bandwagon was getting going just after the 90s ended. It really didn't take long.

As for pro-80s, that bandwagon was getting going just after the 90s ended. It really didn't take long.
I agree. I have had my fill of people telling me how much better it was back then and so much easier. "Ronald Reagan was so awesome, dude. We need another President like him." *sigh* Of course when I shoot back with the concept of making the most of what we have today and trying to improve upon it, I may as well have three heads.

fade

Staff member
Wait, nothing stand-out about the 90s? Alt rock didn't happen? The second biggest popular music shift since the Beatles?