Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Dave

Staff member
Wait, why would you have to pay for the plumber bill?
The issue with the plumbing was discovered because we were late on our bill and they came to shut us off. They couldn't because it was all messed up. He blames us for it, even though it would have been discovered the next time someone moved anyway. We discovered after moving in that he's a bit of a slum lord and will do anything he can to bilk the renters out of their deposit.

You know those cute little icons for twitter, youtube and facebook that various webpages have, that have active links so that if you click them you will be taken to the corresponding website? I asked that the information for these items be added to the new business cards being created for the staff.

The person just put the little icon on them....

man I have had and passed an actual dozen, i am 26, thats one almost every other year. I always love the doctors, "What!? you want pain killers!? YOU MIGHT ABUSE THEM!"
A friend and I were discussing that the other day. Doctors are so stingy these days with pain meds and it drives me crazy. I truly think its barbaric to let someone suffer in extreme pain because some people do abuse them. :(

So I was biking home just now after a first date downtown (it went well, but too early to know and not much to write about), when a car full of teenager drove by.

I heard a "Ptoo!" followed by a white glob of spit fly a few feet ahead of me. Motherfucker tried to spit on me.

They'd turned onto a one-way side street and I thought about following them and confronting, but chose not to. Maybe if I'd had something to defend myself against four teens, like my pedal wrench or something. Not to hurt them, but at least scare them into thinking twice of doing that. I imagine someone just confronting these assholes would be scary enough. I suppose I also could've memorized the license plate number, but what could the police have done, anyway? Charge them with Attempted Spitting?

Gah. I'm just gonna sit back with my newly bought comics and hope karma pays those fuckers back threefold.

GasBandit

Staff member
... are you sure you live in Canada?

Anyway, spitting on you would actually constitute assault, but as it missed and I'm guessing there weren't any witnesses, it'd be a "your word vs theirs" situation which probably wouldn't go anywhere. So yeah. Probably just best to forget them.

And buy a wrist rocket and some paintballs so next time that happens they have something to explain to the folks.

That'd be awesome, but knowing punk teenagers like that, they'd make something and make it sound like they were the victims.

I haven't run into very many assholes while biking, but I'd love to, say, take out a rear view mirror or something for the ones who deserve it. Doubtful I'd ever actually go through with it, but just one of those "God, if only I had the balls..." kind of things.

fade

Staff member
I live in a nice neighborhood, and someone still walked off with my son's bike last night. I've been telling him it was going to happen. He drops it in the front yard. Every time I tell him to pick it up. This is going to suck for him with summer coming. It might have even been innocent. Someone might have assumed it was left by the curb as a freebie.

Well, it sucks that it happened, but maybe this'll teach your son a lesson about leaving his bike around unlocked. After living in Toronto for several years, I learned not just to lock up my bike, but make sure both wheels are locked up somehow (usually with a chain or something through both of them).

In my own ranting news:

For the most part, I've been enjoying my new dishwashing job. It's not exactly a dream job, but now I have money for ordering more copies of my book and get consignment partnerships with the local bookstores.

However, if there's one thing that's really grinding my gears, it's one of my co-workers. The pub I work at has two dishwashers on duty during its busiest hours. Right now, it's only on Fridays. But I swear to Christ, I don't understand how he's managed to stay employed with them for so long. Though I'm starting to see why he's worked at so many different places around town all these years.

To put it bluntly, the guy is lazy as fuck. Here I am last night, working my ass off, working twice my comfortable speed, and he's just fucking standing there doing nothing. There are dishes to put away or even fresh ones out of the dishwasher to just stack with the rest and what's he doing? STANDING THERE, listening to the cooks joke and laughing or trying to throw in his own jokes. And a few times, I'll ask him to do something and always, always, always, he must answer with some fucking joke first. Like carrying a bus bin full of water back to its proper spot. He says, "Sorry, my back's bothering me." So I rush over and grab the bin myself, at which point, he'll laugh and say, "Dude, I'm just joking!"

And oh yeah, his "humour." He'll keep setting up jokes and then have nothing to follow through with it. Like, "You'd probably prefer working at funeral home," to why I asked why and he just shrugged and said, "I dunno." Or he actually used the joke, "Hey, what's the capital of Taiwan? BANG COCK!" and jokingly made the motion to hit me in the crotch. My response was, "Seriously? What are you, twelve? That's a fucking middle school joke." Not to mention that he loves using the words "gay" and "retarded," which every time, I simply start asking him, "How is that gay?" or something.

Honestly, the insipid humour I can deal with for 8 hours. But when I'm working my ass off and he's just fucking standing there doing nothing or taking incredibly long breaks, that's when I almost blew up on him last night. Hell, at the start of the shift, when it's not busy, I try to be proactive with things that might need to be done later. I'll fill up liquids of this, put away what I can, organize this or that, etc. When I suggested we fill up the cleaning liquid for the above mentioned bus bin, he just shrugged and said, "We can do it later." No fuckwad, I'm suggesting we do it now so we don't have to do it while it's busy.

Ugh. Aside from that asshole, who I'm really not looking forward to working with more than Fridays as the summer comes and the patio opens, it's not been a bad job. It's exhausting, to the point that I haven't had the chance to exercise much, but at least it beats sitting on my ass all day doing nothing.

Being recently unemployed, I can understand enjoying washing dishes. I'd take a dishwasher position. I think I might be too proud to work fast food, but I'm not too proud to stock shelves at a grocery store. Any job is better than none, and you can always continue looking for a better job while earning that paycheck.

Hey, need a publicist? I'm unqualified, have no experience, and will more than likely try to talk you into terrible deals that benefit only me, but at least I'll tell you all this up front!

Hey, stupid tech "support" moron: stay the fuck out of my classroom and stop taking shit.
1) You're an idiot and I end up fixing things for you because you know precisely fuck-all.
2) You can't come in when I'm not there and just take computers, furniture, etc because you just assume I don't need them/use them.
3) You need to actually talk to me when you make changes... don't just email your friend and hope they pass the info on to me.
4) If I find out you took my main computer for an unnecessary update and don't return it before tomorrow's class, and I'm going to do everything in my power to get you fired.

Dipshit.

So, despite obvious dangers, I'm planning on going to Korea next week. I had hoped to bring June with me, but after going to several tourism agencies, the conclusion is because she's a single girl from Anhui, there's no way in hell Korea is going to give her a tourist visa. The best part is, there *IS* a way---it includes giving the embassy $15,000 as a deposit to ensure she comes back. Yeah. No.

I thought this wouldn't be a big deal--she's already been abroad to both Singapore and Malaysia--why does Korea had to be so friggin hard. Japan's apparently even more difficult.

So, despite obvious dangers, I'm planning on going to Korea next week. I had hoped to bring June with me, but after going to several tourism agencies, the conclusion is because she's a single girl from Anhui, there's no way in hell Korea is going to give her a tourist visa. The best part is, there *IS* a way---it includes giving the embassy $15,000 as a deposit to ensure she comes back. Yeah. No.

I thought this wouldn't be a big deal--she's already been abroad to both Singapore and Malaysia--why does Korea had to be so friggin hard. Japan's apparently even more difficult.
South Korea and Japan have problems with single, young women staying past their visas and working in strip clubs or brothels against their will. This is because they were recruited by sleazy strip club and brothel owners, who go over seas to recruit girls in poor areas with promises of high pay and fun in Tokyo. When they get to Japan, they get their passports stolen by their now pimps (usually claiming that only THEY can keep them safe) and are forced in prostitution against their will.

The reason this is a problem is because the South Korean and Japanese authorities are more interested in busting the girls for prostitution and visa violations than they are with shutting down the brothels to begin with, mainly because they foreigners. Institutional racism is still a huge problem in East Asia.

Went to a "job-fair" that I THOUGHT was sponsored by Margaritaville...it was actually just for Margaritaville. And of course, the lowest requirement was 6 months as a bus-boy...to which I have never been. Fuck.

Similar to the Mickster's rant, I have a feeling it would be a lot easier for me to find a job around here if people didn't have ridiculous demands for basic qualifications. Amazon requires that you have a bachelor's degree in order to be hired for a fulfillment position. That's right, you can't put shit in boxes and ship it unless you have a 4 year degree. I'm so fucking sick of Amazon's bullshit.

Also, I'm still dealing with the after-affects of Salmonella poisoning. I'm actually starting to like Kefir (a pro-biotic yogurt drink). Of course, it's easy to like something when you're drinking quarts of it at a time. Most of the time I'm fine, but randomly I have incredibly bad days.

Similar to the Mickster's rant, I have a feeling it would be a lot easier for me to find a job around here if people didn't have ridiculous demands for basic qualifications. Amazon requires that you have a bachelor's degree in order to be hired for a fulfillment position. That's right, you can't put shit in boxes and ship it unless you have a 4 year degree. I'm so fucking sick of Amazon's bullshit.
Damn straight! "6 months experience for bus-boy" I AM ABLE TO MOVE PLATES!

And really, a four year degree? Friggin' ridiculous.

Damn straight! "6 months experience for bus-boy" I AM ABLE TO MOVE PLATES!

And really, a four year degree? Friggin' ridiculous.

You could always do what I did for my first job.

Lie.

I was my own reference. When they called my references, they called me.

I don't have to do that now, because now I actually do have experience. But for getting your foot in the door...

You could always do what I did for my first job.

Lie.

I was my own reference. When they called my references, they called me.

I don't have to do that now, because now I actually do have experience. But for getting your foot in the door...
Just saying, I've applied for a job where they contacted my references right in front of me. I figure for just that reason.

Just saying, I've applied for a job where they contacted my references right in front of me. I figure for just that reason.
In the 8+ jobs I've had, that has never happened.
Also this is for a busboy position or any entry level position, most of the time there isn't even a reference call.

Okay, advice time... I recently took a job at a certain economy store (like 3 days ago) and I already want to quit. This isn't because the job is crap (though it is), or that I got the run around by more than a few customers (though I have, sadly) but rather a few startling discoveries over the past few days.

- This single store had over 100k in losses last year, mostly because of theft.
- They can't seem to keep anyone more than a week or two except a few supervisors. This is because the supervisors are incompetent.
- The district manager is on site at least 8 hours a day. This is because of the above.
- The current store manager is leaving the store. This is mostly because of the above issues.
- My hours were changed on a whim with no notification, which almost disastrously affected my college stuff.
- When I specifically asked about the problems at the store, I specifically asked about these kinds of issues. They only mentioned they were hurting for help right now.

I'm not hurting for money right now. I mostly took this job because I felt I was being pressured to by my family, but I'd rather just take more college hours and get THAT done faster so i can get a real job. So advice time... should I quit? I hate the job, I don't need it, I'm not any good at it, and I feel mislead by the management.