Rant VIII: The Reckoning

English Language Instructor is the funniest part of that whole exchange.
He's been teaching English overseas for I'd say half his life. First South Korea, and a few other places. Last I heard, he's taught English in Saudi Arabia for the last 10 years or so. He's barely been in Canada for 20-some years. Came back briefly because his work visa expired or something.

One of my best friends briefly worked with him at the same call center. NO ONE liked him, apparently, and they let him go after a few months. Then he got a work visa again and hasn't been back in Canada since then.

Last edited:
My mom couldn't be bothered to fill out some paperwork for me over the past 6 months I've been asking her and now I'm too late to be able to qualify for the cows and plows money going out next month.

40,000.00 dollars.

My parents have cost or stole nearly 6 figures from me.

I'm really losing the will to live right now.

And if he keeps that shit up, he might find coming back harder than he thinks. Yes, I would forward that to the authorities. Maybe they’ll add him to a watch list or something.

—Patrick
Just emailed my local police about this. I highly doubt anything can be done about it.

I also asked to speak with someone through my Employee Assistance Program. They provide some legal advice, too.

Again, I'm not greatly concerned. One, he'd have to come all the way back to Canada to deal with me. Two, he'd have to actually find me. Halifax is a (relatively) big city. I don't know what his gameplan is. What, message me once he's in the city and be like "All right, bitch, let's meet up and fight!"?

Well I fucking give up. Just started the process of bankruptcy. Expecting to lose pretty much everything I have left.

Planning to move to Kamloops with my best friend. Gonna go live with her for a while until I can put a roof over my head without wanting to die.

I am ready to leave Alberta, my family, nearly every facet of my life behind. I'm done with it all.

Well I fucking give up. Just started the process of bankruptcy. Expecting to lose pretty much everything I have left.

Planning to move to Kamloops with my best friend. Gonna go live with her for a while until I can put a roof over my head without wanting to die.

I am ready to leave Alberta, my family, nearly every facet of my life behind. I'm done with it all.
Sorry you're going through this Frank. I wish you well.

I am very, very sorry all this is happening to you, but if you have to find one silver lining, it would be that it seems (and has seemed for a long time)that getting far away from Alberta would be the healthiest thing for you. It's just terrible that this is the way it's happening.

Man, one thing they don't tell you on TV is that bankruptcy is expensive.

Of course it is.
Have you considered moving to another civilized country? Butcher is considered a bottleneck job, a degree in it and willingness to work in the sector is am you need (well, sort of)

Dave

Staff member
At the hospital with my aunt, who is currently dying. It’s eerily parallel to my dad the way she’s going downhill.

This is the aunt & uncle I lived with a few times over the summers when I was little. Went on vacation with them to California and even Germany. So I guess what I’m saying is this sucks. I’ll be okay but it’s awful watching them go like this.

Fucking teenager in the passenger seat of his friends car randomly yelled at me for laughs while I was biking home. What is it about Mic Mac Blvd specifically that causes this? That's now THREE times someone yelled at me while I was trying to bike up that hill.

The other two separate times, someone shouted "F*GG&T!" and "FATSO!" as they drove by. Now just some teenager idiot thinking it'd be funny to just scream at me and laugh. I don't get yelled at ANYWHERE else but when I biking up Mic Mac Blvd. I don't understand it.

Whose got two thumbs and is homeless?
I know you probably can't make it here, but I will repeat that I have an apartment I can kick tenants out of and you're welcome. Better brush up on your French and/or accept English will get you some bad looks but you can easily make it here with good butcher/meat worker skills.

I have a place to stay, I meant that I no longer own my home. All my shit is stuffed in a friend's garage until I can come up with money to put it into storage.

Funny enough I did french immersion until grade 6 here. I can speak french close enough to approximate a conversation.

Write it though? I haven't a clue.

I have a place to stay, I meant that I no longer own my home. All my shit is stuffed in a friend's garage until I can come up with money to put it into storage.

Funny enough I did french immersion until grade 6 here. I can speak french close enough to approximate a conversation.

Write it though? I haven't a clue.
Most people here can't, either, including the supposed natives. Arab, sure. French, not so much.

Lower leg (tibia/fibula) is not so bad.
Upper leg (femur, "hip"), though...that used to practically be a death sentence, and is still a big deal even to younger people, and even with modern medical science.

--Patrick

My MIL broke her leg/hip and was back on her feet walking in 72 hrs. So, there's hope depending on her break and her physical condition before the break. Hope it's a speedy recovery!

I'm completely out of anxiety medication and the pharmacy won't give me any more and I don't see my doctor until next Wednesday.

GONNA BE A ROUGH WEEKEND.

Also, a completely separate fucking rant, fuck the bankruptcy process. I'm mandated to attend a couple of courses on budgeting.

FUCK YOU. I kept a household together for years on almost no income. It's not budgeting that fucked me, it's years of lockdowns, lost employment and fucking exorbitant inflation on everything from food to electricity. I know how to fucking budget you fucks. It's like insult to injury.

1693006303705.png

HOW DO YOU BUDGET THIS?

Last edited:
Well, I don't know what you're going through, or who you are, but I hope you make it through okay and things get better again. Feel free to share as little or as much as you can and call safe to do

GasBandit

Staff member
I am going through it. I am straight up not having a good time. And there's nothing I can do about it that won't make things worse. And I can't talk to anybody about it. Not even you guys. Sorry for the vaguepost, but something had to give, even if only a little.
Well, time to own up, I guess. This is me.

I still don't want to go into details on an open channel, but looks like I'm single.

GasBandit

Staff member
How does anyone get hired to do anything anymore? What kind of fucking question is this? Why are there 78 of them?
View attachment 46136
A lot of employers are trying to do full on psych evals before anybody even talks to you, these days. Even the job I have now, the hiring was like that. They had 75 questions to test intelligence and then 75 more like the above. But the employer never actually sees your answers, they just get psychobabble results in the form of stat graphs that look like:

Candidate: BErt
Gumption: [][][][]
Moxy: [][]
Sagaciousness: []
Grit: [][][][][]
Bloodthirstiness: [][]
Phlegmatism: [][][]

And then they throw it away.

GasBandit

Staff member
Why are both of these answers negative?!
Because they're designed from a standpoint that everybody has doubts and is imperfect, and they're trying to figure out if your self image includes more elements of lack of motivation or lack of competence.

A lot of employers are trying to do full on psych evals before anybody even talks to you, these days. Even the job I have now, the hiring was like that. They had 75 questions to test intelligence and then 75 more like the above. But the employer never actually sees your answers, they just get psychobabble results in the form of stat graphs that look like:

Candidate: BErt
Gumption: [][][][]
Moxy: [][]
Sagaciousness: []
Grit: [][][][][]
Bloodthirstiness: [][]
Phlegmatism: [][][]

And then they throw it away.
my bloodthirstiness is misrepresented after applying to 80+ jobs like this over the last 2 months