Rant VIII: The Reckoning

I remember National Geographic running a series of articles on the Tulsa Massacre a couple of years ago. It was to commemorate the centennial of that event. Amid the discussion was a small but vocal number of folks who kept making comments like, "why are you writing stories like this? You're being divisive and stirring the pot."

Those commenters were invariably white, rural, and middle-aged or older. I could picture them disrupting school board meetings and harassing teachers because their little darlings learned about Jim Crow laws in social studies.

I remember National Geographic running a series of articles on the Tulsa Massacre a couple of years ago. It was to commemorate the centennial of that event. Amid the discussion was a small but vocal number of folks who kept making comments like, "why are you writing stories like this? You're being divisive and stirring the pot."

Those commenters were invariably white, rural, and middle-aged or older. I could picture them disrupting school board meetings and harassing teachers because their little darlings learned about Jim Crow laws in social studies.
You know what's divisive and stirs the pot? Harassing/assaulting/murdering people who don't look like you and burning down their town.

We wouldn't need to have these discussion if people would simply stop being racist shitbags. But that is apparently far too difficult, so here we are still discussing racism.*

*The same applies to misogyny and homophobia.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know what's divisive and stirs the pot? Harassing/assaulting/murdering people who don't look like you and burning down their town.

We wouldn't need to have these discussion if people would simply stop being racist shitbags. But that is apparently far too difficult, so here we are still discussing racism.*

*The same applies to misogyny and homophobia.
"But... But... Systemic discrimination benefits me! Even if only psychologically!"

>_<

After 11 years of working day and night, taking time on weekends to do system work that couldn't be done during business hours and bringing work on every vacation to make sure there weren't gaps in coverage for my responsibilities, the company I worked for is eliminating my position and laying me off.

Just another example of "Don't think that any extra work you put in will ever be compensated at your job. You are only a bottom line, and they won't hesitate to screw you if they get the chance."

When my then fiancee had brain surgery, her insurance covered most of it and the hospital put her on a reasonable payment plan for the rest. We were only engaged at the time so she was responsible for her own medical bills. Now that we're married I don't mind pitching in. I wouldn't be much of a husband if I left her swimming in medical debt. Splitting the payments is the equivalent of a cable bill.

A few weeks ago, somebody stole her credit card info. Her bank caught it early and canceled the transaction. They also issued her a new card. She needed to update her automatic payments and, in the confusion, forgot to update her account with the hospital. The next payment did not process because of that and the hospital handed her account over to a collections agency. I don't know why she wasn't informed when the first payment didn't go through. Now we're on the hook for several thousand dollars. She called the hospital and explained what happened so they took off one-third of the total sum. Still, we have to make a hefty payment in the next month. We'll be okay but that is nearly all my excess cash for April. I've spent the past two years paying down my credit card and now I'll have to put that on hold.

Oh, and another thing. I put her on my premium health insurance plan (MUCH better than her HMO) at the start of the academic year. It's so much more flexible and has paid for itself several times over. She's around little kids all day and they're always getting her sick. Our copay is only $20 as opposed to the $250 her old plan charged. She needed to get an allergy test and that's extremely hard for teachers to set up. Their schedules tend to not allow it. After taking half a day off and going through a painful process of getting jabbed with 40 needles, the doctor told her she'd have to come in a couple more times. She had wanted to get it all done at once, but my insurance company changed the rule two weeks ago. Not cool!

Last edited:
Here's the thing about homes built before 1975. They have cast iron sewage lines. Which means that most of them are nearing the end of their lifespans if they haven't been replaced.

I experienced a total home block age last night, causing sewage to back up into my tub. Plumbers came out and got me drained, but the root cause (pun intended) is the cast iron pipe is corroding and roots have caused an offset joint to form. The whole system needs to be either replaced or some kind of sleeve put into the pipe to patch the problem, or the clogging is just going to continue.

It's a sure bet the previous owner knew about it. Repeated clogging would have been an issue. But as he passed away 3 days after signing the sales contract, there's not much recourse open to me to take him to task about his lack of candor in the seller's disclosure forms.

First quote on actually fixing the problem, which requires trenching my yard and replacing 30 feet of pipe: $6800. Could be worse, but I'm having a second guy come out this week to quote the job so I can compare.

I drove the equivalent of a round trip between Houston and Dallas. Roughly 8 hours of driving. On mostly two lane roads with no passing. On all of the 2 lane stretches I got stuck behind people driving 5-10 mph under the speed limit. Basically cussed the whole way there and back. And the way back I had my 84 yo Momma in the car. I get to do it again tomorrow.

That always seems to happen to us when we have to travel to Austin. Only difference it’s always farm equipment in the way. My wife has had 4 different rental cars get broken windows on that trip over the years. One of those cars had only 15 miles on the odometer when she left town.

Dave

Staff member
I drove the equivalent of a round trip between Houston and Dallas. Roughly 8 hours of driving. On mostly two lane roads with no passing. On all of the 2 lane stretches I got stuck behind people driving 5-10 mph under the speed limit. Basically cussed the whole way there and back. And the way back I had my 84 yo Momma in the car. I get to do it again tomorrow.
It's science. The slowest car will ALWAYS be the one in front. The faster cars catch up from behind while the faster cars in FRONT are just gone from sight. Doesn't make it any easier, but it's ALWAYS going to happen on a two lane road.

It's science. The slowest car will ALWAYS be the one in front. The faster cars catch up from behind while the faster cars in FRONT are just gone from sight. Doesn't make it any easier, but it's ALWAYS going to happen on a two lane road.
Yeah, it is pretty much why I quit speeding. But there are plenty of 70-75 roads between here and there....

There's over 1500 folk now displaced in this town of 2000.

I'm running out of food and the stores are empty.

I may have to legitimately drive 3 hours to the nearest large town to buy groceries.

One of the 2000 displaced just walked into the place I'm staying. Had to physically remove them.

Nothing like working all night, coming back to your elderly aunt's place where you're staying while you work up here and having to fight a drunk in your underwear right after getting out of the shower while she calls the cops.

Awesome end to my day.

I thought this job was going to be boring and easy, I wasn't expecting to be working security while hundreds of addicts with nothing to do wander the streets fucking each other and everything else up. It wouldn't be so bad but there's a thousand Dene here and a thousand Cree here and they fucking hate each other.

Last edited:
UPDATE FROM THE LEVEL.

Another 1000 people were evacuated into town last night.

I woke up to gunshots this morning.

There are literally more people evacuated into town now than there are residents. Every school is full of people, every hotel, the arena is full of people sleeping shoulder to shoulder on the hockey rink floor.

There's been 3 stabbings in the last 2 days.

It fucking sucks.

My dad is still here and likely won't be gone for another week.

I had an argument with him about pronouns, because I guess that's what old people are wound up about. It drives me fucking crazy that my feelings of extreme anxiety about the state of my surroundings are dismissed as me being over dramatic and then, not an hour later, I'm literally arguing that someone going by they doesn't fucking matter one God damned iota to you or your life. I feel like I'm going insane. Old people are so fucking poisoned by the internet. It was a mistake to let anyone over 40 use it.

re: wildfires.

My mother-in-law and her husband are staying in their town in defiance of the evacuation. I know in my heart this is 100% her husband's doing, but my MIL is justifying it to my wife and when my wife tries to ask why or suggest they leave, my MIL stops responding. It's so frustrating. Obviously I care about their health and wellbeing, but goddamn, have some sense, and if you're not going to have sense, don't ghost your daughter while she wonders if you're still alive.

I did some volunteering yesterday at the evacuation center and got called a white faggot, piece of shit, etc like 12 times by already drunk (it was 10 am) evacuees. Reminded me of being a cop.

What a time to be alive. No wonder they're struggling to find help.

The only people thriving here are the liquor store owners.

This isn't particularly rant worthy, it's just an update to the fires condition up here.

Last edited:
I did some volunteering yesterday at the evacuation center and got called a white faggot, piece of shit, etc like 12 times by already drunk (it was 10 am) evacuees. Reminded me of being a cop.

What a time to be alive. No wonder they're struggling to find help.

The only people thriving here are the liquor store owners.

This isn't particularly rant worthy, it's just an update to the fires condition up here.
You're really taking the shine off my Vancouver trip. I tell everyone how amazing Canada was. I'll tone it down a bit since I've only seen 0.000001%

The cultural differences between Langley, Abbotsford, Mission and Chilliwack are crazy, and they're only an hour apart. That's my working area nd it's nuts how different the people are while being only 60Km away.

Reactions: Far